PDA

View Full Version : Marquee Bulldog Katie Brennan named Captain

LostDoggy
30-01-2017, 09:20 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-30/marquee-bulldog-katie-brennan-named-captain

STAR forward Katie Brennan will captain the Western Bulldogs in the inaugural season of the NAB AFL Women's competition.

The Dogs picked up Brennan, 24, as a marquee selection. The Queensland-native has represented the club in exhibition games since the first clash against Melbourne in 2013.

In Brennan's past three years at Darebin in the Victorian Women's Football League, she booted over 150 goals, with the Falcons winning premierships in each of those years.

With her massive tank and exceptional work ethic, she will be able to run opposition defenders into the ground.

Coach Paul Groves said Brennan is a natural leader and an obvious choice to lead the club.

"Katie is an outstanding individual to have around the football club," he said on the club's site.

"Her work ethic is second to none, and her pride in the jumper is inspiring to the group.

"We're all embarking on this historic journey together and it's a credit to Katie that her teammates have chosen her as the one they want to lead them."

The Bulldogs meet Fremantle at Whitten Oval on Saturday night with both sides expected to be among the better teams in the competition.

bulldogtragic
30-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Captain Katie. Great ring to it, beyond being more than well deserved.

bornadog
30-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Great News

merantau
06-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Katie Brennan did the number 3 proud in our opening match against the Dockers. Nailed her first shot at goal, slotted another in the last, led from the front, showed the flag when required - an inspired choice for captain.

Doc26
03-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Media reporting that Richmond are gunning for Katie Brennan for their start up squad next season.

Jeez, we’re having our high end talent pilfered by these expansion teams. Now where have we seen that before?

Hotdog60
03-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Is there a salary cap for the women?

Katie gives the appearance that she committed to the doggies but in a lowly pay comp could you blame her for securing a future.

It sucks that the AFL is pushing the comp so quick that it depleting a already shallow pool.

They should have held six teams for 5 years to build up the juniors coming through and throw the money into junior development.

SonofScray
04-04-2019, 08:06 AM
It’ll be very disappointing if she walks to Richmond. We’re getting absolutely pillaged by the expansion teams.

Bulldog4life
04-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Is there a salary cap for the women?

Katie gives the appearance that she committed to the doggies but in a lowly pay comp could you blame her for securing a future.

It sucks that the AFL is pushing the comp so quick that it depleting a already shallow pool.

They should have held six teams for 5 years to build up the juniors coming through and throw the money into junior development.

Katie is in the top pay bracket with us. The problem with the AFLW is clubs are only able to sign players to one year contracts. Ridiculous really. When you can't feel invested with most of the same players year on year I hope people don't lose interest in our team.

bornadog
04-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Katie is in the top pay bracket with us. The problem with the AFLW is clubs are only able to sign players to one year contracts. Ridiculous really. When you can't feel invested with most of the same players year on year I hope people don't lose interest in our team.

Rumour is their is a sponsorship deal with a sports apparel group on offer. This really does stink.

Bulldog4life
04-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Rumour is their is a sponsorship deal with a sports apparel group on offer. This really does stink.

Yep makes it hard to get enthused about the comp.

Raw Toast
05-04-2019, 10:27 PM
I hate the one-year contracts as well - awful uncertainty for players, and makes it hard for the clubs as well.

From this year onwards clubs are able to offer two year deals (except to draftees, which remains appalling).

All that said, if I was in charge of list management for our side, Brennan would be behind a lot of other players on my priority list (Blackburn, Conti, Utri, McCarthey, Scott, Lamb, Spark, Huntingdon, maybe Rennie as well).

The Underdog
06-04-2019, 12:26 PM
I hate the one-year contracts as well - awful uncertainty for players, and makes it hard for the clubs as well.

From this year onwards clubs are able to offer two year deals (except to draftees, which remains appalling).

All that said, if I was in charge of list management for our side, Brennan would be behind a lot of other players on my priority list (Blackburn, Conti, Utri, McCarthey, Scott, Lamb, Spark, Huntingdon, maybe Rennie as well).

Her output this year was a long way short of her reputation. I’d hate to lose her but she needs to be better.

Happy Days
06-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Agree with the thrust of this and KB was way short of where she should've been this year, but no way is she behind any of those players except for Conti and Blackburn.

I really think she was hard done by having to play so deep all year, and should be moved higher up the ground (if we still have her) next season.

bornadog
06-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Agree with the thrust of this and KB was way short of where she should've been this year, but no way is she behind any of those players except for Conti and Blackburn.

I really think she was hard done by having to play so deep all year, and should be moved higher up the ground (if we still have her) next season.

I asked Groves about where she should play and he said deep. I didn't argue, just listened to him, but thought she should be more CHF with Huntington FF

Axe Man
08-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Brennan among two Dogs set to depart the Kennel (https://womens.afl/news/17769/brennan-among-two-dogs-set-to-depart-the-kennel)

WESTERN Bulldogs co-captain Katie Brennan is all but confirmed to be joining new AFLW team Richmond in 2020.

The announcement could come as early as Tuesday, womens.afl understands, after the AFLW Sign and Trade Period started Monday.

The Bulldogs' general manager of women's football Debbie Lee was unable to confirm Brennan's expected departure.

"We're still in conversations with her… nothing has been formalised yet. We're still working through that," Lee said on Monday afternoon

"[With] expansion, you've got to expect [clubs] are coming. We experienced that last year with Emma Kearney and Jenna Bruton (who both went to North Melbourne) and Aasta O'Connor (Geelong). We know we've got a good list, so we expect – and we're not naïve to think – clubs will come after us."

Brennan's likely exit was compounded by teammate and premiership defender Libby Birch requesting a trade to Melbourne.

"We'll work through that with the Bulldogs at the moment and try and get an outcome that both parties are happy with," Melbourne's AFLW talent manager Todd Patterson told womens.afl.

"We've got a really good relationship with the Bulldogs, with Debbie and (list manager) Michael Sandry, so we're comfortable we'll be able to get something done.

"I'd say potentially a combination of (players and draft picks will be involved in the deal). The onus is on us to satisfy them, as the player is leaving, so we'll get to work and hopefully get that done sooner rather than later."

Mantis
08-04-2019, 04:38 PM
^^

Makes it hard to be engaged when this happens... but I guess it's always going to be the case with the way the AFL operates.

Bulldog Revolution
08-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Im massively disappointed

Grantysghost
08-04-2019, 04:53 PM
She certainly wasn't the face of the team this year, I figured shed stepped back to concentrate on footy and Ellie Blackburn did most of the engagement stuff. Seems to be a more fluid player market than the men's. Shame though, I've heard her speak highly of the club in the past so she must be getting a good offer from the Tigers.

Axe Man
08-04-2019, 04:57 PM
The AFL have completely stuffed the league - 14 teams is absolutely ridiculous at this early stage. The talent pool is barely a puddle to draw all these players from. It would be like having 200 teams in the AFL.

Hotdog60
08-04-2019, 05:59 PM
I like Katie but with short term contracts and more financial rewards its going to be hard to keep players.
Has she lived up to the hype maybe not but it would be disappointing if she has her best season in different colours.

KT31
08-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Joke of a system, how is anyone ( especially young girls) meant to be envested in the team or Women's football when the players chop and change each season.
Even with two years up for offer it's a shambles.
Big rumour more girls will be leaving as well.

Hotdog60
08-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Libby Birch want to go to the Demons so there is another gone.

soupman
08-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Birch going hurts more imo.

Brennan has been largely dissapointing. Lochland coming back more than compensates for her loss. If we can turn her losing into gaining SFT that would be a huge win.

MrMahatma
08-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Sadly, I don’t care. Will watch the first round next year then turn off cause it’s not much of a spectacle. 14 teams guarantees that for a bit to come.

boydogs
08-04-2019, 10:20 PM
^^

Makes it hard to be engaged when this happens... but I guess it's always going to be the case with the way the AFL operates.

Surely this is at Katie's feet, North Melbourne would be on the Gold Coast if the AFL got their way but they didn't

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2019, 11:21 PM
Sadly, I don’t care. Will watch the first round next year then turn off cause it’s not much of a spectacle. 14 teams guarantees that for a bit to come.

Yep - let’s introduce more teams to an already shallow talent pool.

Great move AFL.

Might as well go 4 divisions while we’re at it.

Mantis
09-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Birch going hurts more imo.

Brennan has been largely dissapointing. Lochland coming back more than compensates for her loss. If we can turn her losing into gaining SFT that would be a huge win.

Reported that Scott is also leaving which is worse again.

Twodogs
09-04-2019, 09:04 AM
I'm no longer following AFLW. Just as you get used to players they shoot through to another club.

That's two marquee players in two years. Bugger that for a joke, the girls either make a commitment to the club that have them their chance of they can carry on without me

angelopetraglia
09-04-2019, 11:16 AM
My attachment to our players is so strong. Probably too strong. But I do think it is such an important part of the game. Too much player movement is a definite risk to the bond that young people build with a club.

Saw Katie in a Richmond jumper and I nearly threw up. Reminded me of Nathan Brown leaving.

mjp
09-04-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm no longer following AFLW. Just as you get used to players they shoot through to another club.

This is terrible at the moment but the restriction on only offering one-year contracts has not been good...that changes now and hopefully we see a bit more stability...

bornadog
09-04-2019, 11:34 AM

That's two marquee players in two years. Bugger that for a joke, the girls either make a commitment to the club that have them their chance of they can carry on without me

The club is bigger than the individuals.

Twodogs
09-04-2019, 11:53 AM
This is terrible at the moment but the restriction on only offering one-year contracts has not been good...that changes now and hopefully we see a bit more stability...

I hope you're right mate but footy is all about sacrifice, the Team being bigger than the individual and team success over personal gain. I am sick of our club being made to pay for the expansionist ambitions of the AFLW and M come to that. why is it our club that always seems to stock all the expansion clubs with their marquee players, first coaches and admin and footy staff? If the world is all about lifters and leaners then why do we get to do all the lifting and they everyone else gets to do all the leaning?

I'm not explaining this very well (the steam coming out of my ears makes it hard to see) but when you say that it stops now and we see some stability I hope you are right but we have been here before when GWS started up and when GCS started up, hell it even happened when West Coast started up-even Hardie went to Brisbane as their big marquee player! The formula appears to be that the AFL starts up an expansion team and the automatic reaction is to bend us over the closest piece of furniture to stock that club. I have no confidence in the AFL commission because this is always what they have done to us.

The club is bigger than the individuals.

My point exactly.

Murphy'sLore
09-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Katie Griffen. Dead to me.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2019, 12:22 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-08/katie-brennan-to-depart-bulldogs

Western Bulldogs AFLW forward Katie Brennan has informed the Club of her wish to continue her career with another team.
Brennan, who captained the Bulldogs for the first two seasons of the AFLW competition and was co-captain in 2019, leaves the Club after playing 13 games and kicking 15 goals.
“Naturally we’re disappointed. Katie has been a foundation player of our women’s program, is a co-captain of our group and someone we have supported through some difficult periods, including injury and the tribunal process on the eve of our history-making AFLW Premiership,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee.
“While we do understand that the current period of the competition’s expansion means that player movement is now common, the nature of one-year AFLW player contracts has made list retention difficult.
“As a successful team, naturally our players have become the target of opposition clubs, which is testament to our women’s football program. This includes our player development program which has provided rapid individual growth for our players over the past three years.
“Katie has expressed her wish for a fresh start at another club, and we thank her for her contribution to the Club.
“We look forward to securing our talented playing list and continuing to build on our strong environment where people can be at their best.
“With a young and exciting list, we are excited as we commence our preparations for the 2020 season.”
Brennan said she was looking for a new challenge after spending seven years in the Bulldogs’ women’s football program.
“I have been incredibly privileged to be a part of this pioneering club for the last seven years,” she said.
“My decision to move on from the football club is based purely around my need for a fresh start.
“I will forever cherish my time at the Club and wish them every success in the future.”

Cyberdoggie
09-04-2019, 01:01 PM
"Fresh Start", What a load of bollocks. Seriously, they can't use the jargon they are using in the men's game when this happens.
The club has given her everything and she has left for what? a few extra dollars? She would of been one of the higher paid at the bulldogs, so how much more would she be getting and is that really worth the club swapping.

I agree with a lot of the posts, this pillaging of existing clubs is what will kill interest for a lot of people. How are you supposed to maintain interest when it is a revolving door of club lists.
How do you kids understand why their heroes are no longer their heroes and are playing somewhere else?

Axe Man
09-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Mo Hope delisted by the Kangaroos, I wonder if we would consider getting her back with Brennan gone from the forward line?

Grantysghost
09-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Geez they don't waste any time.

Brennan Tigers Photo (https://imgur.com/gallery/XG8Jokr)

G-Mo77
09-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Pfft.

I'll call it what it is. This club and most of the supporters went into bat for her when the rest of the world wanted to tear her down. The minute a bit of extra coin gets waved under her nose she jumps. Yeah sure the system sucks but there is also loyalty and the option of saying "No thanks" Another Bulldog captain who is dead to me. Her existance from this club is erased as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully one day she'll feel the real pain of missing out on a grand final by actually playing in one and losing.

Doggy
09-04-2019, 04:01 PM
“A fresh start”
For f*** sake she played a dozen games!

jeemak
09-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Is booing a thing in AFLW yet? Honest question.

If not it might be that some of these players need to start feeling the sting of leaving clubs through some good old fashioned supporter hostility, word will get around about how rotten it feels and players will start to understand the attachment fans actually feel for them.

That'll hopefully result in some loyalty.

G-Mo77
09-04-2019, 06:00 PM

If not it might be that some of these players need to start feeling the sting of leaving clubs through some good old fashioned supporter hostility, word will get around about how rotten it feels and players will start to understand the attachment fans actually feel for them.

That'll hopefully result in some loyalty.

Just don't say anything on Social media, you'll probably get called a sexist.

jeemak
09-04-2019, 06:23 PM

I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek with my comments, but the tribal nature of AFLM whilst being diluted in recent times was largely built on the protection of your own, and hostility to others - and in some cases particularly those who leave for somewhere else. Does this tribal nature have the chance to foster itself in AFLW in its current form, or will the talent pool need to increase, player movement settle and longer contracts and better money become a reality for players so fans can really form a bond with them?

Will it actually ever come to the fore? Once again, I don't even know if it's a thing in AFLW at this point - I haven't been to AFLW games and I don't really follow it closely.*

*I think AFLW is fantastic, overdue and poorly managed by head office. However, I can barely get across Bulldogs AFLM games these days and I rarely watch anything other than those...….

hujsh
09-04-2019, 06:56 PM
I was actually being a bit tongue in cheek with my comments, but the tribal nature of AFLM whilst being diluted in recent times was largely built on the protection of your own, and hostility to others - and in some cases particularly those who leave for somewhere else. Does this tribal nature have the chance to foster itself in AFLW in its current form, or will the talent pool need to increase, player movement settle and longer contracts and better money become a reality for players so fans can really form a bond with them?

Will it actually ever come to the fore? Once again, I don't even know if it's a thing in AFLW at this point - I haven't been to AFLW games and I don't really follow it closely.*

*I think AFLW is fantastic, overdue and poorly managed by head office. However, I can barely get across Bulldogs AFLM games these days and I rarely watch anything other than those...….

In all honesty the atmosphere as far as I can tell has been less about the passionate desire to win and more about supporting a new form of the game in it's infancy. More forgiving and feel good. Generally speaking that is.

No idea if that will ever change. I suppose the concept would have to become less of a novelty in people's minds first before they really get passionate about it.

Personally I do want to see our team win if the games on but I take less notice of it than the VFL because one relates more directly to the team I really care about.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Disappointed to lose Brennan but Birch is a huge loss. With Spark and Ernst being over 30, Birch at 21 is one of the best young players. Hopefully the earlier comment that Scott may also leave doesn't come to fruition.

Would not be interested in Mo Hope. We need to make a statement by pursuing gun players from other clubs.

Oh and we need to get adequate compensation unlike our men's recent trades.

The bulldog tragician
09-04-2019, 10:37 PM
Already posing on Instagram in her Tigers colours. Unfollowed immediately. Please spare the “fresh start” feebleness!!

SonofScray
10-04-2019, 07:19 AM
Have slept on it.

Not happy at all with Katie for 1. Leaving, 2. Being dishonest.

I think I could handle her leaving and saying "they are offering more + sponsorship opportunities and I need to make the most of it in a semi professional environ." Tne fresh start thing is disingenuous PR spin that leaves too much to the imagination and invariably opens the Club up to criticism. All of a sudden, the narrative is our program doesn't look after its players well enough etc.

She's done some damage on the way out. When we stood up for her in the face of a bullshit suspension and subsequent sexist backlash. Went to some lengths to support her even though the footy world blasted us. That needed to count for something. We've boosted her profile and personal brand far beyond what she could have ever anticipated. Fresh start feels disrespectful to me.

Anyway, free to do as she wants. No goodwill from me though. No longer a Bulldog.

westdog54
10-04-2019, 09:32 AM
The AFL seem determined to allow AFLW to wither and die in its infancy.

The 10 teams they currently have are a stretch on the talent pool. To throw FOUR more teams into the mire is dead-set lunacy.

Then throw in the short-sighted nature of trading, recruiting and retention of players, the absurd fixturing (Why would you have a grand final almost directly competing with AFL matches?) and you have a convoluted approach which smacks of the AFL wanting to look like they're doing something productive rather than actually setting the competition up for long term success.

They went too hard, too early by setting up an 8 team competition when they did, when they should have spent another 2 or three years pouring copious amounts of money into state level women's leagues, talent development and recruitment from other codes, before launching a much stronger product.

And with every decision they make they seem to further undermine the legitimacy and long-term viability of the women's league.

It makes it difficult to get emotionally invested in a league when you don't know if it will still be around in five years time.

Grantysghost
10-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Interesting read. Hard to know if intelligent guess work / click bait or accidentally leaked on purpose.

https://t.co/nvoVVIhUt8

“When Katie Brennan said she wanted to move for a fresh start, there were a few eyebrows raised down at the kennel as to what that could mean,” McClure told SEN Breakfast.

“The Bulldogs are not happy. They’re not happy at all. I think that there’s some elements of anger.

“She’s played 13 games there, she missed a lot of footy because of injury and she missed significant footy because of suspension.

“No one at the Bulldogs will publicly say this, but they believe that they were owed some loyalty.”

McClure has clarified that as far as the salary cap goes, Brennan isn’t earning any extra money from the Tigers.

“So she’s signed a two-year deal at the Tigers, she will get the same money as a playing contract, being a marquee contract, wherever she went,” he said.

Twodogs
10-04-2019, 11:08 AM

That sort of stuff doesn't bother me so much because I'm not sexist or a misogynist in any form and the opinion of a bunch of people who don't know me isn't going to change my mind (its hard enough for people who know me and who I respect to change my mind).

And besides isn't it the very antithisis of sexism that we treat everyone the same? If we refuse to utter the name of He Who Went to GWS then why should we give Katie Brennan a big slap on the back for walking out on our club and going to Richmond? Going easier on her because she is female is the very essence of sexism surely?

If it wasn't before it is now.

westdog54
10-04-2019, 11:13 AM
That sort of stuff doesn't bother me so much because I'm not sexist or a misogynist in any form and the opinion of a bunch of people who don't know me isn't going to change my mind (its hard enough for people who know me and who I respect to change my mind).

And besides isn't it the very antithisis of sexism that we treat everyone the same? If we refuse to utter the name of He Who Went to GWS then why should we give Katie Brennan a big slap on the back for walking out on our club and going to Richmond? Going easier on her because she is female is the very essence of sexism surely?

If it wasn't before it is now.

Don't I know it...

Katie has done herself a massive disservice here. She was supported through injury, supported through suspension and supported when she decided to (Quite rightly) take on the league when she was treated differently than a male player would be.

And despite all that she needs a 'fresh start'.

We've got a fine Captain and leader in Ellie Blackburn ready to fill the void. Katie, you're on your own. Don't expect a warm welcome when you return to the kennel.

Twodogs
10-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Don't I know it...

Katie has done herself a massive disservice here. She was supported through injury, supported through suspension and supported when she decided to (Quite rightly) take on the league when she was treated differently than a male player would be.

And despite all that she needs a 'fresh start'.

We've got a fine Captain and leader in Ellie Blackburn ready to fill the void. Katie, you're on your own. Don't expect a warm welcome when you return to the kennel.

Heh! Pretentious, Moi?

BTW there was an argument we were having in 2004 and I've just thought of a counterpoint to something you said back then...

westdog54
10-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Heh! Pretentious, Moi?

BTW there was an argument we were having in 2004 and I've just thought of a counterpoint to something you said back then...

I hate it when that happens.

What was the argument, out of curiosity? We've been through four coaches since then.

Twodogs
10-04-2019, 11:44 AM
I hate it when that happens.

What was the argument, out of curiosity? We've been through four coaches since then.

Umpiring.

Murphy'sLore
10-04-2019, 11:51 AM
All further discussion of Katie Brennan should be conducted in the Following Our Exes thread...

Twodogs
10-04-2019, 12:01 PM
All further discussion of Katie Brennan should be conducted in the Following Our Exes thread...

Indeed it should.

ledge
10-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Salary cap is a joke as you can pay them what you want through a job , their is no cap on offering them a job and paying them 100,000 on a 20,000 job.
I’m backing she got a lot more through another job , like being the face for Swisse.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Heh! Pretentious, Moi?

A Fawlty Towers fan TD?

Mantis
10-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Reported on the Bulldogs website that we have re-signed 9 players for 2020, which includes Blackburn, Scott & Huntington for the next 2 years... Hopefully KB gets in between Scott and the ball next year.

bornadog
10-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Reported on the Bulldogs website that we have re-signed 9 players for 2020, which includes Blackburn, Scott & Huntington for the next 2 years... Hopefully KB gets in between Scott and the ball next year.

Good News

Western Bulldogs re-signings at April 10, 2019:
Ellie Blackburn (Two Years)
Eleanor Brown (One Year)
Naomi Ferres (Two Years)
Isabel Huntington (Two Years)
Kirsty Lamb (Two Years)
Kirsten McLeod (One Year)
Hannah Scott (Two Years)
Lauren Spark (Two Years)
Bonnie Toogood (One Year)

Hotdog60
10-04-2019, 05:56 PM
I'd like to see Aisling McCarthy resigned if she is allowed or wants to do another season.

Flamethrower
10-04-2019, 07:45 PM
I was very supportive of the formation of the AFLW at the start, but that support has slowly eroded due the continual stuff ups at AFL HQ. As my support for the AFLW waned, my support for women's football at the grass roots level has increased. I feel the same is happening in the men's game too.

Now I have zero interest in AFLW, but am fully invested in local women's football with my daughter taking up the sport (and as a consequence, local men's football too).

There is nothing better than getting along to watch the guys and girls play for the love of the game, as opposed to the love of the pay cheque.

Daughter of the West
11-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Already posing on Instagram in her Tigers colours. Unfollowed immediately. Please spare the “fresh start” feebleness!!

I did exactly the same. Just could not stomach it.

It's all well and good for her personally - she's looking after number 1, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it!!

Axe Man
11-04-2019, 12:48 PM
The conversations and meetings that led Katie Brennan to leave Western Bulldogs for Richmond (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-2019-the-conversations-and-meetings-that-led-katie-brennan-to-leave-western-bulldogs-for-richmond/news-story/d0d37ef14c53ad47fb891bae28f51d52?fbclid=IwAR0uhT5UMGSVNXZCrG 6BnesaFM-7_HMlMo3bue6feOFdPuEW6rHCuI8qWuc)

When Katie Brennan told reporters she’d been thinking about leaving the Western Bulldogs for “a little while” what she really meant was her decision to leave Whitten Oval had been one year in the making.

She didn’t know that Richmond would be her destination of choice.

But by the time the Tigers had finished their presentation to Brennan — just days after her final match in red, white and blue — there was little doubt the colours she’s be wearing in 2020 would be different. It would be the most significant trade in the AFLW’s history.

There were a number of factors that contributed to Brennan’s unrest.

There were the obvious ones: Missing out on the 2018 Grand Final, the tribunal hearing that went to the Human Rights Commission, and her struggle with injury.

But there were also more subtle, yet significant factors.

Brennan wanted to play more midfield time, or at least explore the possibility of what that would look like and how it could benefit the team that had just loss the 2018 best and fairest winner, Emma Kearney, to North Melbourne.

So when the Tigers — through AFLW footy boss Kate Sheahan, AFL footy boss Neil Balme, AFLW coach Tommy Hunter and high performance manager Matt Parker — pitched Brennan a plan that would see her vacillate between the midfield and forward line, the 26-year-old was quite naturally intrigued.

“It’s something she’s aspiring to do and when we analysed the tapes we felt like she had such a great capacity to play in the midfield,” Sheahan told foxfooty.com.au.

“She’s a clean ball winner, she’s great on both sides, has a big strong body.

“And if one of your best players wants to get their hands on the footy why would you stop them from doing it?”

Brennan was hooked.

A dinner with Richmond president Peggy O’Neal at Flinders Lane hot spot Kisume only confirmed her desire to move to Punt Road Oval.

THE REACTION

When Brennan’s defection from the Western Bulldogs was made official on Tuesday, a sense of shock and sadness was followed by cynicism and anger.

It was surmised that Brennan’s big move was based purely on commercial reasons — a premise her manager, Alex Saundry, rejected altogether.

“Two days before she signed at Richmond Katie understood what the contract was in terms of dollars and figures,” Saundry told foxfooty.com.au.

“The decision was not made based on money. Katie owns her own business.

“The bargaining chip wasn’t the money. Every conversation we had was based around performance and how Katie could be a better player to impact a team overall.”

Brennan’s wage as a tier one player will be the same as it was at the Bulldogs.

But the difference at Richmond is that her individual sponsor and that of the club will now align. Brennan’s Puma sponsorship expires at the end of 2019, with Saundry saying a new deal will be negotiated for 2020 onwards.

With the AFLW competition only in its third year, the concept of loyalty is hardly tangible.

But with Brennan, who had been with the Bulldogs for seven years and was the club’s first AFLW captain, the notion she’d play for any other club was a strange concept.

At the conclusion of this season, Brennan sat down with the Western Bulldogs footy department to discuss her future. Their worst fears were confirmed.

“Naturally we’re disappointed,” Western Bulldogs AFLW footy boss Debbie Lee said.

“Katie has been a foundation player of our women’s program, is a co-captain of our group and someone we have supported through some difficult periods, including injury and the tribunal process on the eve of our history-making AFLW Premiership.

“While we do understand that the current period of the competition’s expansion means that player movement is now common, the nature of one-year AFLW player contracts has made list retention difficult.”

Lee’s comments were revealing, not least because Brennan had painted a somewhat rosier picture when rolled out for the first time as a Tiger.

“I gave my heart and soul to that club, but sometimes in life you have to have those difficult conversations and continue to move through to the next chapter,” Brennan said.

“I think we’ll always have really strong relationships. I’ve definitely gone with their blessing, I believe.

“We’ve parted on amazing terms and I’ll always speak highly of my time at the Bulldogs.

“I hope they would speak highly of me also. I gave a lot to that club (but) it’s an amazing thing to have a fresh start.”

RICHMOND 2020

The Tigers — along with St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast — will expand the league to 14 teams from 2020 onwards.

Brennan is the club’s first signing, but there are loud and ever growing murmurings that she could be joined by Brisbane forward Sabrina Frederick-Traub, who informed the Lions she was moving to Victoria last month.

So what has made Richmond such a front runner in the race to poach talent?

“We’d heard great things about their programming in a VFL capacity,” Saundry said.

“We were impressed by their structures around access to coaches, access to strength and conditioning staff, and how individualised each part of their program is.”

Laura Bailey — a Bulldogs teammate of Brennan’s, who has also played for Richmond’s VFLW team — helped spread the word the Tigers were approaching their football program through a nuanced lens.

It was a small nugget of information that had massive ramifications for two clubs.

bornadog
11-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Good Riddance Katie Griffen Judas Brown

Doc26
11-04-2019, 03:24 PM

It is reminiscent of the Higgins departure, expressing to leave for a fresh start after the Club had done its utmost to support him through his ostiotis pubis etc period. Now he’s gunning it at North.

I will view Brennan similarly as I do Higgins i.e now dead to me.

Cyberdoggie
11-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Some more detail at least in that article as to why she left. My reaction: Still pathetic and disloyal.
More time in the midfield?: Really, you leave a club because you want more time in the midfield?
I'm sure if she had approached the coaching staff they would of entertained that idea, it's not an unreasonable request, especially as she was average at best up forward, and played better pushing up the ground.

I think going to Richmond obviously aligned more with her sponsors and her potential to earn more money. They are totally thinking of her being more marketable with a bigger club with more connections now that there are more teams in the league.

It's totally about the money.

Cyberdoggie
11-04-2019, 05:18 PM
FYI Brooke Lochland and Deanna Berry re-committed,

Mon Conti is the big one they need.

ledge
11-04-2019, 06:22 PM
FYI Brooke Lochland and Deanna Berry re-committed,

Mon Conti is the big one they need.

Mon Conti has had an offer from another club and is weighing up Her options.

Grantysghost
11-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Sorry guys I couldn't help myself .....

https://twitter.com/gavro44/status/1116258552253779969?s=19

Twodogs
11-04-2019, 06:47 PM
The conversations and meetings that led Katie Brennan to leave Western Bulldogs for Richmond (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-2019-the-conversations-and-meetings-that-led-katie-brennan-to-leave-western-bulldogs-for-richmond/news-story/d0d37ef14c53ad47fb891bae28f51d52?fbclid=IwAR0uhT5UMGSVNXZCrG 6BnesaFM-7_HMlMo3bue6feOFdPuEW6rHCuI8qWuc)

When Katie Brennan told reporters she’d been thinking about leaving the Western Bulldogs for “a little while” what she really meant was her decision to leave Whitten Oval had been one year in the making.

She didn’t know that Richmond would be her destination of choice.

But by the time the Tigers had finished their presentation to Brennan — just days after her final match in red, white and blue — there was little doubt the colours she’s be wearing in 2020 would be different. It would be the most significant trade in the AFLW’s history.

There were a number of factors that contributed to Brennan’s unrest.

There were the obvious ones: Missing out on the 2018 Grand Final, the tribunal hearing that went to the Human Rights Commission, and her struggle with injury.

But there were also more subtle, yet significant factors.

Brennan wanted to play more midfield time, or at least explore the possibility of what that would look like and how it could benefit the team that had just loss the 2018 best and fairest winner, Emma Kearney, to North Melbourne.

So when the Tigers — through AFLW footy boss Kate Sheahan, AFL footy boss Neil Balme, AFLW coach Tommy Hunter and high performance manager Matt Parker — pitched Brennan a plan that would see her vacillate between the midfield and forward line, the 26-year-old was quite naturally intrigued.

“It’s something she’s aspiring to do and when we analysed the tapes we felt like she had such a great capacity to play in the midfield,” Sheahan told foxfooty.com.au.

“She’s a clean ball winner, she’s great on both sides, has a big strong body.

“And if one of your best players wants to get their hands on the footy why would you stop them from doing it?”

Brennan was hooked.

A dinner with Richmond president Peggy O’Neal at Flinders Lane hot spot Kisume only confirmed her desire to move to Punt Road Oval.

THE REACTION

When Brennan’s defection from the Western Bulldogs was made official on Tuesday, a sense of shock and sadness was followed by cynicism and anger.

It was surmised that Brennan’s big move was based purely on commercial reasons — a premise her manager, Alex Saundry, rejected altogether.

“Two days before she signed at Richmond Katie understood what the contract was in terms of dollars and figures,” Saundry told foxfooty.com.au.

“The decision was not made based on money. Katie owns her own business.

“The bargaining chip wasn’t the money. Every conversation we had was based around performance and how Katie could be a better player to impact a team overall.”

Brennan’s wage as a tier one player will be the same as it was at the Bulldogs.

But the difference at Richmond is that her individual sponsor and that of the club will now align. Brennan’s Puma sponsorship expires at the end of 2019, with Saundry saying a new deal will be negotiated for 2020 onwards.

With the AFLW competition only in its third year, the concept of loyalty is hardly tangible.

But with Brennan, who had been with the Bulldogs for seven years and was the club’s first AFLW captain, the notion she’d play for any other club was a strange concept.

At the conclusion of this season, Brennan sat down with the Western Bulldogs footy department to discuss her future. Their worst fears were confirmed.

“Naturally we’re disappointed,” Western Bulldogs AFLW footy boss Debbie Lee said.

“Katie has been a foundation player of our women’s program, is a co-captain of our group and someone we have supported through some difficult periods, including injury and the tribunal process on the eve of our history-making AFLW Premiership.

“While we do understand that the current period of the competition’s expansion means that player movement is now common, the nature of one-year AFLW player contracts has made list retention difficult.”

Lee’s comments were revealing, not least because Brennan had painted a somewhat rosier picture when rolled out for the first time as a Tiger.

“I gave my heart and soul to that club, but sometimes in life you have to have those difficult conversations and continue to move through to the next chapter,” Brennan said.

“I think we’ll always have really strong relationships. I’ve definitely gone with their blessing, I believe.

“We’ve parted on amazing terms and I’ll always speak highly of my time at the Bulldogs.

“I hope they would speak highly of me also. I gave a lot to that club (but) it’s an amazing thing to have a fresh start.”

RICHMOND 2020

The Tigers — along with St Kilda, West Coast and Gold Coast — will expand the league to 14 teams from 2020 onwards.

Brennan is the club’s first signing, but there are loud and ever growing murmurings that she could be joined by Brisbane forward Sabrina Frederick-Traub, who informed the Lions she was moving to Victoria last month.

So what has made Richmond such a front runner in the race to poach talent?

“We’d heard great things about their programming in a VFL capacity,” Saundry said.

“We were impressed by their structures around access to coaches, access to strength and conditioning staff, and how individualised each part of their program is.”

Laura Bailey — a Bulldogs teammate of Brennan’s, who has also played for Richmond’s VFLW team — helped spread the word the Tigers were approaching their football program through a nuanced lens.

It was a small nugget of information that had massive ramifications for two clubs.

I've read some crap in my time following footy but that takes the cake. It's bad enough that you are leaving under these circumstances Katie but now you are just treating us-the people who went to war for you when you were so badly mistreated-like we are idiots.

You are treating us with the same contempt the AFLW treated you with.

Twodogs
11-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Sorry guys I couldn't help myself .....

https://twitter.com/gavro44/status/1116258552253779969?s=19

Retweeted.

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Salary cap is a joke as you can pay them what you want through a job , their is no cap on offering them a job and paying them 100,000 on a 20,000 job.
I’m backing she got a lot more through another job , like being the face for Swisse.

Richmond used to do that through the 70's when Graeme Richmond was secretary. A paper bag full of money under the table. The then VFL tightened things up and they couldn't do it again. So with the rules of the AFLW so up in the air are the old Richmond are back?

Twodogs
19-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Richmond used to do that through the 70's when Graeme Richmond was secretary. A paper bag full of money under the table. The then VFL tightened things up and they couldn't do it again. So with the rules of the AFLW so up in the air are the old Richmond are back?

I think pretty much every club did that except for us. Even then there were rumors back in the mid '70s that Gary Dempsey would go into his local bank branch every friday afternoon just to make sure that his match payment had been payed into his account by the club (He got caught out once too often trusting the club to do the right thing, and more than once got no match payment!) and if the payment hadn't been put through Gary would develop a mystery injury on the saturday morning and Hampshire would come into the team.

One thing I found out about Graeme Richmond is he owned the Seaview Ballroom on the corner of Fitzroy st and Grey St in St Kilda. Its weird to think that if it weren't for GR giving them a venue to play at then Nick Cave and the Birthday Party and the Saints and the Go-Betweens and all those iconic bands wouldn't have existed.

This is a terrific book about those days;

https://www.bookdepository.com/Hafey-Years-Elliot-Cartledge/9780646557120