PDA

View Full Version : Kerr vs Cooney Hypothetical

LostDoggy
28-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Cooney was the number one selection by the Dogs in the 2003 draft.
He is a quick and exciting footballer with plenty of scope for further improvement. Despite his battle with OP he still has the world at his feet.

Daniel Kerr was the number 18 selection at the 2000 draft selected by the Eagles.
Over the past couple of seasons he has really become an elite player even in the strong Eagles midfield.

I must admit I like the hardness and game winning abilities of Kerr and I was talking to a mate the other day where he posed the question of who I would select if I had the choice between Kerr and Cooney knowing what I now know.

I must admit I was wasn't sure exactly which way I would go.

To make this an easy question, would you do a straight up trade for Kerr if the only player the Eagles wanted was Cooney?

Am I silly to even consider a trade like this or am I crazy not to think we would be better off having Kerr instead of Cooney?

Be brutal if you have to :)

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Gets a bit tricky as we have not seen the best of Cooney?

Kerr is a great player and would be a great addition to any midfield.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Kerr is an excellent footballer, and he wins a lot of hard ball, and is almost the most effective Eagle midfielder (in a team of stars). I have long admired Kerr, and rate him as a more skillful and smarter footballer than Judd.

Cooney has a lot of game breaking ability, he has good pace and skills, can mark and kick goals. Cooney probably has a higher value due to being young, and the potential for future development. I'm not sure if I would do it, mainly bcos Cooney is very young, and certain to get better, he has a lot of attributes that are quality, and will only get better.

That's not to knock Kerr, who is a star, and would fit into our line-up with ease.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2007, 05:11 PM
At this stage, Kerr is a better player.

One Brownlow already and wasn't far off this year, although he was suspended.

The past 3 years Kerr has been one of the Top 5 midfielders in the competition, so I think we'd be selfish to suggest Cooney is a better player.

However; Cooney's a bit younger and has the ability to be just as good and perhaps better. He has a few things he needs to touch up, such as his aggression on the ball/man and his workload - two of which Kerr excels in.

What Cooney does have over Kerr though is dynamic pace and the ability of being able to kick a bag of goals. He has a big spring in his legs and a great set of hands. That's not to say Kerr doesn't, but not quite like Cooney.

Whether or not Adam puts it together is another case, but certainly I believe Cooney has a bigger upside in the snese that he's that big bigger, taller, more athletic & explosive. But at the same time, Kerr is a tremendous footballer himself and it'll take a lot of hard work for Cooney to reach let alone surpass his standards.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Kerr won a Brownlow? :p

The Coon Dog
28-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Kerr was drafted 3 years before Cooney. I'd be in a better position to judge Kerr now against Cooney after another 3 seasons. My gut feeling is I'd stick with Coooooooooooooooney.

GVGjr
29-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Kerr was drafted 3 years before Cooney. I'd be in a better position to judge Kerr now against Cooney after another 3 seasons. My gut feeling is I'd stick with Coooooooooooooooney.

It is a difficult task to select between these two players. Like you I think I would stick with Cooney.

Twodogs
29-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Cooney, but it's close.

LostDoggy
29-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Cooney because he has more years left in him hopefully, but he has a lot to do to reach Kerr's level of endurance. Will he get to that level of covering so much ground and still be able to run, run and run even up to the last minutes of a gruelling grand final? And I wonder if OP will be a problem again. I'd gamble with him but it is a bit of taking the unknown rather than the known.

LostDoggy
29-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Cooney because he has more years left in him hopefully, but he has a lot to do to reach Kerr's level of endurance. Will he get to that level of covering so much ground and still be able to run, run and run even up to the last minutes of a gruelling grand final? And I wonder if OP will be a problem again. I'd gamble with him but it is a bit of taking the unknown rather than the known.

Even after reading all this I don't know if I would knock back that trade. Cooney has unlimited potential however, it is not certain that he will reach it.
Kerr is probably right at his prime and has had two sensational years. It would be a very tempting trade for me.

Hard Ball Get
29-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Its a hard one.
We havent really seen the best from Cooney and we dont know how good he really will be. You could also pose the question would Kerr be as dominant in a midfield that didnt contain Judd, COusins, Braun, Embley and Fletcher.

I'm pretty happy with the coon.

bornadog
28-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Cooney was the number one selection by the Dogs in the 2003 draft.
He is a quick and exciting footballer with plenty of scope for further improvement. Despite his battle with OP he still has the world at his feet.

Daniel Kerr was the number 18 selection at the 2000 draft selected by the Eagles.
Over the past couple of seasons he has really become an elite player even in the strong Eagles midfield.

I must admit I like the hardness and game winning abilities of Kerr and I was talking to a mate the other day where he posed the question of who I would select if I had the choice between Kerr and Cooney knowing what I now know.

I must admit I was wasn't sure exactly which way I would go.

To make this an easy question, would you do a straight up trade for Kerr if the only player the Eagles wanted was Cooney?

Am I silly to even consider a trade like this or am I crazy not to think we would be better off having Kerr instead of Cooney?

Be brutal if you have to :)

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24251807-5012432,00.html

Kerr is now up for trade, would we make a play for him? If so, who would we trade, Faz plus a pick? Imagine the midfield with Cooney, Griffen and Kerr.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Kerr is now up for trade, would we make a play for him? If so, who would we trade, Faz plus a pick? Imagine the midfield with Cooney, Griffen and Kerr.
With Ayce being touted as our first pick.

It only leaves Ray and a second rounder at most. Probably wouldn't take it if i was WCE.

The Coon Dog
28-08-2008, 11:50 AM

I heard on the radio this morning that the Eagles would want 2 top 10 picks, with one being at least a top 3 pick, for Kerr.

For us to do this we would have to offload some serious talent.

Personally, I wouldn't be prepared to sell the farm for Kerr.

bornadog
28-08-2008, 11:50 AM
With Ayce being touted as our first pick.

It only leaves Ray and a second rounder at most. Probably wouldn't take it if i was WCE.

Would we be interested at all? Who else could we throw in? Stack is from WA?

Mantis
28-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Would we be interested at all? Who else could we throw in? Stack is from WA?

Stack has not play an AFL game and has been on the list for 2 years, he has no currency. Hill on the other hand would go ok on a wing at Subiaco.... But no ******* way should we entertain getting rid of him.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Stack has not play an AFL game and has been on the list for 2 years, he has no currency. Hill on the other hand would go ok on a wing at Subiaco.... But no ******* way should we entertain getting rid of him.
Agree 100%.

What we can pay is not what will get him. He will not be at Western Bulldogs. Our only involvemnet will be if Ayce drops to a second rounder and someone wants to trade for our first round pick to get the Kerr deal done. Then we are in a prime position to leverage aginst a club. But all signs point to us having spent our first rounder in any event.

Just gotta hope a good midfielder drops to pick 35 for us.

1eyedog
28-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Cooney, just because he is younger and in my opion brings a better culture to the club, a laid back settled young man who you know is never going to step out of line. Kerr is a bit of a get about and has a party boy streak. I'd stick with Cooney based on what they are like off the football field.

LostDoggy
28-08-2008, 01:51 PM
When fit and with his head screwed on Kerr is the best midfielder in the comp. Definitely a better player than Cooney

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Cooney, just because he is younger and in my opion brings a better culture to the club, a laid back settled young man who you know is never going to step out of line. Kerr is a bit of a get about and has a party boy streak. I'd stick with Cooney based on what they are like off the football field.

I agree. Whilst at this stage Kerr would get the nod based on pure football credentials, I don't think Kerr's off-field trouble can be discounted, and the destabilising effect it could have on the club and players if he were to repeat any of his many indiscretions.
Based on the overall package I'd be sticking with Cooney, especially given he still has yet to reach his full potential, which I expect him to hit next year.

hujsh
28-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Based on the overall package I'd be sticking with Cooney, especially given he still has yet to reach his full potential, which I expect him to hit next year.

I'd be rapt if he could keep up his current work.

The Pie Man
28-08-2008, 05:22 PM
You can mount an argument that Kerr has as much baggage as Didak. Contracted for another year as well, not worth it. If they accepted Faz and Skip and a pick in the 20's then yeah great - they wouldn't accept that after feeling they got done over in the Judd deal.

As for Coooooooney, I was just laughing to myself thinking of TCD changing his user name to 'The Kerr Dog'

I'm not aware of any Bulldog stepping out of line in the past few years (drinking etc) that's been made public - biggest 'issues' we've had has been Aka's mouth (if you could even call that an issue) Cooney strikes me as a valuable/popular club member that hopefully will never return to Adelaide to play footy.

bornadog
28-08-2008, 05:22 PM

Would you give up anything for Kerr and would he fit in beautifully?

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Cousins fall from grace was wose than Kerr. But Kerr's actual behaviour wasn't much better.

For the price of things, I would take Cousins to replace West in the midfield.

Mantis
28-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Not anything.

I reserve to make judgement on any of the player's we would have to give up for a quality player like Kerr til after the finals. Let's see how a few stand up on the big stage before we ship them off.

And yes he would fit in quite nicely.

phroosh
29-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Interesting hypothetical. I'd stick with Cooney based on his improvement this year, and his better temperament. Which by no means devalues the immense talent of Kerr. Like Mantis said, I'm real keen to see how some of our improved players play in finals.

A friend of mine (or two) got pretty disillusioned with Cooney late last year and he came up in conversation as trade bait, My comment was that he was going to be a really good player for someone, and I'd prefer it to be us. I'll stick with that.

Dancin' Douggy
30-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Cooney (186cm 85k) is a much bigger unit than Kerr (178cm 75k) and that counts for a lot in my book. Kerr was great as the 3rd midfielder with Judd and Cousins taking the heat but he's not big enough to be your main ruck rover. Cooney is still going to put on more weight as well and Kerr is probably at his optimum playing weight.
Cooney to me has more going for him as far as potential development goes. His confidence levels are rising and he's developing that ultra aggressive running throuigh congestion that tears games open. Love the one handed hold of the ball. Cooney has the potential to be a better player for longer than Kerr and he's already well and truly in the fold.
On top of that I like him and his general attitude.
AND I wouldn't touch Kerr with a ten foot pole.
Swilling bags of horse tranquilisers. Fighting at parties. Smashing up a taxi. Not to mention punching players in the balls.
We have probably the sqeakiest clean playing list in the AFL.
I'd prefer to keep it that way.
Cooney for me by a country mile.

Topdog
30-08-2008, 04:45 PM
When fit and with his head screwed on Kerr is the best midfielder in the comp. Definitely a better player than Cooney

Agreed although that doesn't happen too often unfortunately for Kerr. How old is he? I'm thinking about 25 but have no idea. He hasn't got long left before he either matures or becomes one of those guys who never realised their potential.

Dancin' Douggy
01-09-2008, 05:36 PM

Better than Judd? Ablett? Bartel? Hodge?..............

bornadog
01-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Agreed although that doesn't happen too often unfortunately for Kerr. How old is he? I'm thinking about 25 but have no idea. He hasn't got long left before he either matures or becomes one of those guys who never realised their potential.

Yes turned 25 in May.

bornadog
01-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Jerry,

Would you chase him if you had a chance, and what could we give up?