PDA

View Full Version : Your one wildcard for 2007?

Dry Rot
18-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Who will step up for us out of the blue this season?

I don't mean good draft picks like Higgins or Griffen, rather is there someone like say Addison who will get an opportuinity and really shine and surprise us?

Twodogs
18-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again, in fact I'll keep saying it it happens.

Harbrow. The kids an excitement machine who can do stunning things on the footy field.

Also dont write of Tim Walsh making some sort of impact. I have no particular reaon for saying that but I've got a feeling in my water that he may come out of the blue and start to play some decent footy.

Dry Rot
18-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Also dont write of Tim Walsh making some sort of impact. I have no particular reaon for saying that but I've got a feeling in my water that he may come out of the blue and start to play some decent footy.

That would surely be a miracle and/or proof of God.

bulldogtragic
18-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Don't know how much is hope, but will also nominate Tim.

Twodogs
18-02-2007, 02:38 PM

I'm already a believer in God. Just need to transfer a bit of that belief to Tim.

kennel master
18-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I reckon Cam Wight will establish himself as a regular. With his size and pace he is going to be tough to match up on.
It will be great to see him develop as our CHB. High Hopes.

Go_Dogs
18-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I agree, Cameron Wight for me.

Dry Rot
18-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Certainly Wight and/or McDougall would make a huge difference.

A left field suggestion: Luke darcy. By rights, with 2 years and 2 ACLs out of footy he should be pretty ordinary first year back and may breakk down again.

He was really firing by this season's end - that would be a wildcard for me.

Curly5
18-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I was going to say Wight but he has enough votes. I'll go for Sam Power - I think his talent will begin to shine brightly this year.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-02-2007, 03:59 PM
McDougall is potentially a wild card, in the sense that we picked him up for nothing, he's ready-made, he's athletic and a good mark. He has obvious talent, but he's got obvious flaws too.

He'd be a huge plus to the side if he could stand up and play 15+ games and contribute.

But other then that, I'm going to nominate Cameron Faulkner. According to some reports, he played pretty well in the Intra Club match & against Essendon the week before in the All Stars.

If he's able to stay on the park, I think Faulkner can do some damage. He's got a bigger frame now and he's a very hard hitter. He has great instinctive skills, he needs to go off this rather than stop, prop and think too much about what he's going to do. Every time I've seen Faulkner take the first option that comes to mind, his skills are spot on. He adds a bit to the side I feel with his ability to play midfield & forward. He can crumb the ball, so having a Darcy/McDougall type player in the FWD line can only help.

He just needs to have an injury free season and a bit of luck, because I still maintain the belief that he has the tools to be a quality player in our side.

LostDoggy
18-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Brian Harris. Hopefully our mid fielders, rucks and forwards can help stop such quick entry into their forward line. Also hope for more help from taller brigade so he can concentrate on one opponent, maybe even a lesser one who is not at full forward. Can become a damaging attacking player if confident and part of a well drilled back half.

Mofra
18-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I was thinking Wight (working him into every thread I can) and Sammy, but these guys are now covered.

DFA could establish himself as Griff's HBF replacement, not quite as flashy as Ray but can be accountable for an opposition player, still likes a run.

dog town
18-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Mitch Hahn I think will just be coming back to his best coming into the finals. He is a genuine match winner and IMO drags other players with him when he is at his best. Could have a huge impact for us. Bit of a forgotten man.

Dry Rot
18-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Mitch Hahn I think will just be coming back to his best coming into the finals. He is a genuine match winner and IMO drags other players with him when he is at his best. Could have a huge impact for us. Bit of a forgotten man.

DT, IIRC you've done your knee in the past.

1. What can we realistically expect from the 3 ACL victims this season?

2. Do you recall any other AFL team bringing back 3 ACL victims in the one season?

3. Will #2 above be an issue for us?

dog town
18-02-2007, 09:03 PM
DT, IIRC you've done your knee in the past.

1. What can we realistically expect from the 3 ACL victims this season?

2. Do you recall any other AFL team bringing back 3 ACL victims in the one season?

3. Will #2 above be an issue for us? Big difference is that these guys are getting the best treatment in the business 3 times a day compared with my going to the physio whenever I could get out of work early. I would certainly expect the agility and confidence of the players to be down early on in the comebacks but once they get 7-10 games into them then I would expect them to start having an impact. I made my comeback late in a season and really struggled but a full pre season really helps and our players all got a good pre season in to get confidence in the joints. Agility and turning circle was my most effected area. The other thing is that your muscles really tighten up which leaves you open to soft tissue injuries which is what Darcy is trying to manage right now.

Pretty sure Port had a few knee victims in one season and possibly West Coast or Freo 3 or 4 years back when Subi was churning out knee victims every week. Hopefully the fact that Hahn is coming back a little later means we are not carrying to many guys with demons from their injuries. Best case scenario would have Darcy and Murphy close to their best by the time Hahn comes back.

Go_Dogs
19-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks for your insight DT.

Dry Rot
19-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Big difference is that these guys are getting the best treatment in the business 3 times a day compared with my going to the physio whenever I could get out of work early. I would certainly expect the agility and confidence of the players to be down early on in the comebacks but once they get 7-10 games into them then I would expect them to start having an impact. I made my comeback late in a season and really struggled but a full pre season really helps and our players all got a good pre season in to get confidence in the joints. Agility and turning circle was my most effected area. The other thing is that your muscles really tighten up which leaves you open to soft tissue injuries which is what Darcy is trying to manage right now.

Pretty sure Port had a few knee victims in one season and possibly West Coast or Freo 3 or 4 years back when Subi was churning out knee victims every week. Hopefully the fact that Hahn is coming back a little later means we are not carrying to many guys with demons from their injuries. Best case scenario would have Darcy and Murphy close to their best by the time Hahn comes back.

Thanks - interersting.

With a loss of agility and turning circle this would restrict what position they should play? eg HF line could be tricky.

dog town
19-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks - interersting.

With a loss of agility and turning circle this would restrict what position they should play? eg HF line could be tricky. Yeah definetly which is the biggest concern with Murphy. IMO Murphs biggest strength is his agility and balance. Eade said something pretty encouraging the other day along the lines of all the testing they have done seems to indicate that his agility is at about the same level as it was prior to his knee. Encouraging for the fact that he seems to be moving alright and also that Eade is obviously very aware that agility is a big factor for Murphy.

I found that when I was down back I was getting turned around by opponents alot and losing them when they turned around and ran straight towards goal. As a forward it was difficult to turn back at goal but atleast I had most of the authority as to where me and my opponent went. Could make a case for Eade easing Murph back into things off the half backline where I think he is still a wonderful player. We can probably get away with it for a little while with Aker , Darcy and Doogs coming in and Cooney likely to spend even more time forward.

Dry Rot
19-02-2007, 09:07 PM
What about hahn and darcy?

dog town
19-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Hahn is a bash and crash type and loves to run in straight lines anyway so provided he has confidence in terms of getting contact on his knee I think he will be right. To be honest my main concern with Mitch is that he struggles to get his match fitness up sometimes and he is a player that really needs to be fit so that he can give us those second and third efforts where he can really change a game. Would prefer him playing full games on the ball at Werribee for a while before he comes back. Will be right to play similar role to what he was playing I would suggest.

Darcy could be a problem mentally given that he has done it twice. I think his role will be limited to a deep forward early on. Dont expect to see him turning anyone inside out after picking the ball up off his bootlaces. His unbelievable strength should mean he is still dangerous as a long target until his mobility gets better. I once read Jamie Charman saying that Darcy is the strongest body on body player he has faced. Backline not really an option for Darcy. If his knee can hold up to ruckwork then a run around the ground getting a few cheap kicks would do wonders for his confidence. Really we just want him to be coming good for the business end and anything else is a bonus.

As a side note I cant help but wonder what impact the new rules will have on Darcy and Johnson. Both masters at nudging out opponents. Hope the umps dont enforce them to strictly.

Dry Rot
19-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't an ill-timed crash and bash from Hahn put presuure on his knee?

The Doctor
19-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't an ill-timed crash and bash from Hahn put presuure on his knee?

Probably not as much as the pressure he'd be under from the tribunal.

dog town
19-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't an ill-timed crash and bash from Hahn put presuure on his knee? I didn't find the actual physical contact to be much of a worry especially running straight. Hahn tends to just put his head down and go straight through. Even mentally I didn't really think about copping a knock on it or anything. I suppose the danger is if someone falls across his leg the wrong way but the chances are small.

Dry Rot
19-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Probably not as much as the pressure he'd be under from the tribunal.

:D

Isn't the new "Guido-Kosi" rule silly and soft?

Dry Rot
19-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I didn't find the actual physical contact to be much of a worry especially running straight. Hahn tends to just put his head down and go straight through. Even mentally I didn't really think about copping a knock on it or anything. I suppose the danger is if someone falls across his leg the wrong way but the chances are small.

OK, then what are the danger moves onfield? Sudden turning? Mishaps in marking contests?

How do most who do their knee a second time, do it?

bornadog
19-02-2007, 10:58 PM
I think young Higgins is going to be sensational this year. I really loved the way he played the few games last year and he is a ball magnet. Watch him shine this year.

Twodogs
19-02-2007, 11:32 PM
I think young Higgins is going to be sensational this year. I really loved the way he played the few games last year and he is a ball magnet. Watch him shine this year.

How good was he on friday? Just knocked up finding space-at times he'd got 20-30metres away from his direct opponent. One time when he'd got away on the wing and gilbee hit him on the chest and running from a kick out that must have travelled 70 metres was brilliant.

Sockeye Salmon
20-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Pretty sure Port had a few knee victims in one season

They had Primus and Francou go down but they both came back and played footy again ...

... oh ********.

Go_Dogs
20-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't some Grant bloke do his knee too?

BulldogBelle
20-02-2007, 07:19 PM

I think the same also, I was very impressed with him last season he just dives into everything he has that 'no fear attitude' just like Crossy.

alwaysadog
22-02-2007, 12:59 PM

Some think the former is proof of the latter.