PDA

View Full Version : Tony Liberatore's son contest national championships

LostDoggy
01-08-2008, 06:36 AM
At 178cm he's a giant.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24109975-19775,00.html

TONY Liberatore would seem more at home in Lygon St than Cavill Ave, but he has always been fond of the Gold Coast. Only 24 hours after the birth of his son Thomas, Liberatore played one of the games of his career -- tallying 36 disposals against the Brisbane Bears in the wet at Carrara.

More than 16 years later, Liberatore returned to the Gold Coast yesterday.

Just down the road from Carrara at Southport, he was watching Thomas go around in the national under-16 championships.

Liberatore Jr, a dogged inside midfielder like his dad, won 18 disposals in a one-point loss to South Australia.

"It is just terrific for him to get to this level. To get this far you've got to be pretty good," AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan said.

"He's earned his spot and definitely has some of the attributes of his father."

At 178cm, he is taller than the old man, and is at least a chance to be considered a Bulldogs father-son recruit.

Liberatore, 165cm, won the 1990 Brownlow Medal and played 283 games for the Dogs.

The appearance of his 16-year-old isn't the only family story at the championships.

Kane Murphy, son of former Sydney winger David, was New South Wales' best player on Wednesday.

It is good news for St Kilda fans as the Saints nabbed Murphy as a scholarship player earlier this year, killing off the Swans' hopes of taking the winger under the father-son rule.

Will Langford, son of former Hawthorn full-back and AFL commissioner Chris, was the second best player for NSW.

GVGjr
01-08-2008, 07:00 AM
He's grown a bit. Two years ago both he and Steve Wallis's son were at some training sessions with the club mainly working with the rehab guys.
It would be nice to see them make the Dogs list somewhere down the track.

bulldogtragic
01-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Has Tony patched everything up with the club? I.e. - Will he want his son in the RW&B?

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Has Tony patched everything up with the club? I.e. - Will he want his son in the RW&B?

Read the interview with Libba in the Legends & Larrikins forum & you'll see what he thinks of the club!

LostDoggy
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Tony loves the club, the club isn't just the president, CEO and coach.

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 11:55 AM

No probs with the coach there Ern.

bornadog
01-08-2008, 12:09 PM
He's grown a bit. Two years ago both he and Steve Wallis's son were at some training sessions with the club mainly working with the rehab guys.
It would be nice to see them make the Dogs list somewhere down the track.

How is Wallis son progressing?

LostDoggy
01-08-2008, 12:15 PM

He hasnt fully patched it up with the football club he still feels the club has done wrong by him publicly he now wont slag the club as he wants his son to play at the bulldogs.

bornadog
01-08-2008, 12:21 PM
He hasnt fully patched it up with the football club he still feels the club has done wrong by him publicly he now wont slag the club as he wants his son to play at the bulldogs.

I just don't get him and what his beef is?

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 12:25 PM
I just don't get him and what his beef is?

He doesn't get on at all with Cam Rose & was disappointed earlier this season when Smogo had a go at him & mentioned his family.

LostDoggy
01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
He doesn't get on at all with Cam Rose & was disappointed earlier this season when Smogo had a go at him & mentioned his family.

That's just in recent times that is only the tip of the iceberg Coon dog. It all started around the time when he retired.

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
That's just in recent times that is only the tip of the iceberg Coon dog. It all started around the time when he retired.

Thanks Charmdog, bit of a shame really. Hopefully one day there will be a reconcilliation.

BulldogBelle
01-08-2008, 03:12 PM

Hope Tony realises the club is bigger than him

Have nothing but respect for the man, but he needs to put to bed his disappointment of not being selected for a coaching position etc and move forwards. Tony's non selection was because the administrators selected a better candidate, not becasue they dont like him personally.

Hopefully his son will be the champion like he was

Sockeye Salmon
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Broke his leg a while back and is still not playing yet. He was in the original squad as from what I can gather goes alright.

GVGjr
01-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Injured I believe

KT31
02-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Injured I believe
Both Libba's son and Wallis's sons were both standouts in the school boys last year.
I may be wrong but I think Libba also has a adopted son and a younger 8 year old son.
I know he has a girl,Libba and I shared the maternity ward at the Mercy 12 years ago.
When I asked him how he went and he said his wife had a girl, you could tell he new I was thinking about the father son rule.

Sockeye Salmon
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Got this off another site

Just to answer some of the questions on here...

Tom Liberatore does support the Bulldogs.
He has played for the St Kevin's first 18 all season in the midfield and has been ultra impressive. He is an inside midfielder, tough as they come, but his disposal and speed are also very good. He has a great football brain, is very modest and is a natural leader. Last year, he won the medal for best on ground for VIC metro in the under 15 carnival.

Mitch Wallis is Steve Wallis' son and is also a gun. Was vice captain of VIC metro last year but unfortunately broke his leg playing for SKC firsts in the opening round of this season so couldn't take part in this carnival. He is back playing at club level now though. He is super quick, has great endurance and can tear games apart in the midfield or up forward.

Both are on track to hopefully play AFL one day...you have a bit to look forward to.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I can see the brownlow voting in a few year times, Western Bulldogs versus Richmond, Western Bulldogs A.Cordy 1 Vote, Western Bulldogs M.Wallis 2 Votes, Western Bulldogs
T.Liberatore 3 Votes.

Maybe just as Gary Jnr did what Gary Snr could not maybe Junior T can do what the big T could not, it's a thought.