PDA

View Full Version : Young mids pecking order

Dry Rot
26-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Good chance that Griffen will join Cross at the top of pile this season, with Higgins beginning to stake his claims.

Hard to tell where Cooney is at with his injury right now, and perhaps Higgins may go past Ray by season's end?

And by season's end, will anyone else come into consideration?

Thoughts?

Will be an interesting blend, with the above young players joined by West, Acker, Eagle and sometimes Johnno and McMahon.

GVGjr
26-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Good chance that Griffen will join Cross at the top of pile this season, with Higgins beginning to stake his claims.

Hard to tell where Cooney is at with his injury right now, and perhaps Higgins may go past Ray by season's end?

And by season's end, will anyone else come into consideration?

Thoughts?

Will be an interesting blend, with the above young players joined by West, Acker, Eagle and sometimes Johnno and McMahon.

I can't see Higgins going past Ray in the pecking order during the season and I think Cooney will be used as mainly a forward when he returns especially in the first few weeks.

Midfield is not an area that is a problem for us. Aker, Giansiracusa, Cross, West, Griffen, Ray, Gilbee, McMahon, Higgins, Eagleton and Boyd offer terrific options for the coach. Not sure we can establish a definitive pecking order but we have heaps of quality rotation options.

Go_Dogs
27-02-2007, 08:55 AM
IMO Higgins will move past Ray this season. I get the feeling, of course - nothing to substantiate it - that he will struggle this season.

As far as the "younger" midfielders go, my pecking order would be:

1. Cross
2. Cooney
3. Boyd
4. Griffen
5. McMahon
6. Higgins
7. Ray
8. Faulkner

or something like that.

Dry Rot
27-02-2007, 06:18 PM
IMO Higgins will move past Ray this season. I get the feeling, of course - nothing to substantiate it - that he will struggle this season.

1. Cross
2. Cooney
3. Boyd
4. Griffen
5. McMahon
6. Higgins
7. Ray
8. Faulkner

or something like that.

Boyd looks so composed these days I'd forgotten him.

I find Cooney hard to judge given his injuries of late.

Go_Dogs
28-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Cooney gets the nod for his speed and ability to burst out of clearances, plus he kicks a lot of goals. Even playing injured last year, for mine at least, he was one of our better midfielders, along with Boyd and Cross, and of course, West.

Dry Rot
28-02-2007, 10:01 AM

1. Cross
2. Cooney
3. Boyd
4. Griffen
5. McMahon
6. Higgins
7. Ray
8. Faulkner

or something like that.

Friday night will be interesting - no #2 or #4 from above, and no Acker.

Good opportunity for Boyd and Higgins to stand up and take senior roles.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Friday night will be interesting - no #2 or #4 from above, and no Acker.

Good opportunity for Boyd and Higgins to stand up and take senior roles.

Good pick-up there, it'll be interesting to see where and how Higgins performs. A fantastic opportunity to stake claim as already, a quality and ready made midfielder.

With griffen, Aker & Cooney out I suspect Faulkner would again be given a game. Again, there's a good chance for a player to show something in a position which is usually taken.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I'd like to see Faulkner in the middle for sure, and McMahon, Giansiracusa and Higgins to all have a better run through the middle.

Hard Ball Get
01-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Ill give it a go just a ranking...

1. Cross
2. Cooney
3. Griffen
4. Boyd
5. Higgins
6. Ray
7. McMahon
8. Faulkner

bulldogtragic
03-03-2007, 01:01 AM
I can't see Higgins going past Ray in the pecking order during the season and I think Cooney will be used as mainly a forward when he returns especially in the first few weeks.

Great call. I think he did last night.

LostDoggy
03-03-2007, 07:54 AM
It was an impressive display by Higgins and an indecisive one by Ray.I think both players though will have good seasons for us.

Go_Dogs
03-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I thought Ray was ok last night. He put his body on the line a bit more, and generally wasn't too bad, much like a lot his of mates last night.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Higgins is a fair way ahead of Ray at the moment.

Both have had full seasons.

Higgins coming into his second season, had a full pre-season with a LOT of praise, carried that into the matches and particuarly last night.

Ray is coming into his fourth season, had a full pre-season, and thus far he has been poor.

ATM; Higgins is a certain starter for Round 1 and looks a lot, lot more polished and has a far greater "overall" game than Ray, who at the moment will be lucky to play Round 1.

Go_Dogs
04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
This is what I have been saying all pre-season re: Ray. Infact, for the last 2 years...

He has a lot of work to do. Personally I thought he tried hard last night, and went in harder than I have seen. Positive signs. I do think he'll struggle to make the 22 if we have a full list to pick from though.