PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs keen for Boyle

The Pie Man
06-10-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24452974-23211,00.html

Bulldogs keen for Boyle

By Sam Lienert
October 06, 2008

THE Western Bulldogs have expressed interest in Hawthorn forward Tim Boyle as they seek to add size to their attack.

The 'Dogs, whose lack of a quality big forward was their one major deficiency as they placed third this season, said there were several tall targets they would inquire about as the AFL trade period begins.

"We'll obviously be asking some questions of some clubs today, but whether anything comes of it only time will tell,'' Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said.

"With all tall players we'll ask some questions, so (Boyle) will probably be one we'll ask a question of.''

With the club boasting numerous tall attacking options struggling to break into the side behind stars Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead, Pelchen said there were several clubs keen to prise one of them away.

"Certainly from clubs we've met with during the course of the last week they've raised certain players' names, including our forwards, so we'll take them all on board,'' he said.

Boyle, 24 and 194cm, has played 31 games for the Hawks over four seasons, including 20 in 2007.

But he managed just six this year and none after round 13, indicating he will struggle to play regular senior football at Hawthorn in the future.

Meanwhile, Eade said despite young midfielder Farren Ray having told the club he wants to be traded to gain greater opportunity elsewhere, it would not necessarily happen.

"Obviously he's stated that he'd like to look elsewhere, so we'll obviously listen to clubs, if there's not what we think he's worth on the table he'll stay with us,'' he said.

He refused to say what it would take to prompt a trade.

The Hawks confirmed they are one of numerous clubs keen on Sydney premiership forward Ryan O'Keefe, with Carlton and Collingwood also believed to be interested.

But, while the 27-year-old turned his back on a three-year contract offer from the Swans to explore his options in Melbourne, Sydney recruiting manager Stuart Maxfield said they had not given up on him staying.

He said Sydney would need to receive a first-round draft pick to trade him.

Essendon coach Matthew Knights left open the option of a possible play for O'Keefe, creating the prospect of a player-for-player swap, with the Swans having showed strong interest in Bombers speedster Andrew Lovett.

"Until we sit down face to face with Sydney today and work out where they're at, I'm a little bit none the wiser,'' Bombers coach Matthew Knights said.

"We'll just see what evolves this week with Andrew. He has got a year to run on his contract and we'll just see the degrees of interest from other clubs and whether they are really serious or not.''

Other players expected to be central to discussions include young Fremantle ruckman Robert Warnock, West Coast ruckman Mark Seaby and North Melbourne midfielder Daniel Harris, who have all expressed a desire to be traded

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 03:08 PM
A convenient title for a story,

but I'm not the slightest bit convinced that Boyle will end up with us

Eade just said we would ask the question

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I have a plan to become rich by working out a way of wrapping Fish and Chips in yesterdays rubbish internet articles.
Seriously can't wait til Friday when stuff actually happens, instead of "journos" just making mountains out of nothing comments, to satisfy the hunger for trade news of people like me without the patience to wait until Friday for stuff to actually happen.

bornadog
06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I have a plan to become rich by working out a way of wrapping Fish and Chips in yesterdays rubbish internet articles.
Seriously can't wait til Friday when stuff actually happens, instead of "journos" just making mountains out of nothing comments, to satisfy the hunger for trade news of people like me without the patience to wait until Friday for stuff to actually happen.

Would you be interested in Boyle at all?

Height: 194cm Weight: 95kg Position: Forward

Last Full Season (20 games), 2007, kicked 32 goals, 25 points, in a forward line that included Franklin, Roughead.

GVGjr
06-10-2008, 03:48 PM
A convenient title for a story,

but I'm not the slightest bit convinced that Boyle will end up with us

Eade just said we would ask the question

I have only a slight interest in getting him and it would have to be a latish pick. He is one of those selfish players who is just out for himself.

GVGjr
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Last Full Season (20 games), 2007, kicked 32 goals, 25 points, in a forward line that included Franklin, Roughead.

I should have quoted this post as well. He's OK but I don't think he will do the job for us.

The Pie Man
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM

You read the above and on paper it appears he has a massive upside.

I haven't seen much of him play - I remember he gave Cam Wight a bit of a run around last year at the G, but that was Cam Wight.

I'd say worth a punt - but don't mind either way honestly

The Coon Dog
06-10-2008, 03:54 PM
You read the above and on paper it appears he has a massive upside.

I haven't seen much of him play - I remember he gave Cam Wight a bit of a run around last year at the G, but that was Cam Wight.

I'd say worth a punt - but don't mind either way honestly

That's the real worry.

With Franklin & Roughhead taking the best 2 defenders Boyle has been exposed to the likes of Cam Wight & that ilk.

Scary prospect when he comes up against the more accomplished defenders.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I have only a slight interest in getting him and it would have to be a latish pick. He is one of those selfish players who is just out for himself.

Those are strong words GVG

It definitely has to be for a very late pick, so late that I dont know that Hawthorn will bother to trade him

Is he actually a key forward, or just a foil across half forward a la Scott Welsh?

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 04:42 PM
That's the real worry.

With Franklin & Roughhead taking the best 2 defenders Boyle has been exposed to the likes of Cam Wight & that ilk.

Scary prospect when he comes up against the more accomplished defenders.
That's why I think this is fools gold. Not a great fan of this idea.

The Underdog
06-10-2008, 05:01 PM

Not particularly. I think he benefited from playing in a forward line where he was the 3rd tall and the focus was on the other two from an opposition standpoint. I don't think he's a strong key position target who would struggle as the primary option and given that the Hawks wanted a 1st rounder for him last year we aren't likely to get him for much less than a 2nd rounder which would most likely be paying over the odds for a guy who's more likely to go down in our history with Bartlett, Morgan and Hunter than Grant, Beasley and Templeton.
Still I could be wrong.

GVGjr
06-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Those are strong words GVG

It definitely has to be for a very late pick, so late that I dont know that Hawthorn will bother to trade him

Is he actually a key forward, or just a foil across half forward a la Scott Welsh?

He is not a genuine KPP but because of his height looks like he could be. AS TCD pointed out, how would he go against the best defender each week? My guess is that he would struggle.

To me, Welsh is a smarter forward but one that does a bit better if he has someone decent alongside him.

bornadog
06-10-2008, 05:55 PM
He is not a genuine KPP but because of his height looks like he could be. AS TCD pointed out, how would he go against the best defender each week? My guess is that he would struggle.

To me, Welsh is a smarter forward but one that does a bit better if he has someone decent alongside him.

What was his form like in the VFL this year?

GVGjr
06-10-2008, 06:07 PM
What was his form like in the VFL this year?

Poor. In a forward line that also had Thorp there, Boyle rarely did well in a game.

Dancin' Douggy
06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Then we should forget about him. I couldn't stand another big lump of dud plodding around in the red white and blue. Trade for picks if there's no one around or look to the pies. Reid or Dawes anyone? Any inside knowledge?

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Is he a chance of being delisted as if we want him then we are better off getting him cheap.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 06:11 PM
I think we will trade for a KPP. Looking at how poor the field is, we should only put our third rounder out there for either Boyle or Campbell.

I'd like Macintosh, but i can't see how we could get him. At best i can see Ray, Wight and 2nd rounder. Wouldn't get it done though.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Is he a chance of being delisted as if we want him then we are better off getting him cheap.
Interesting point, it seems they are into ROK in a big way. Perhaps he might be? If he is still contracted, we could be offering them some salary cap relief for a lower pick?

Topdog
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh God Essendon are great comedic value.

Essendon coach Matthew Knights left open the option of a possible play for O'Keefe, creating the prospect of a player-for-player swap, with the Swans having showed strong interest in Bombers speedster Andrew Lovett.
A player for player swap. My goodness. Here have a piece of crap and we'll have that All Australian back thanks.

Bulldog Revolution
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM

I think the fact that he really isn't a go to forward has to be the pass/fail criteria on recruiting any forward, and from the sounds of it Boyle fails miserably

IMO Welsh is a class act, he had a down patch during the season, but with a full pre-season could again produce another strong season, but again he is a second or third prong of an attack ideally.

mighty_west
06-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I should have quoted this post as well. He's OK but I don't think he will do the job for us.

I agree that he'd struggle as the main target, as a 2nd or 3rd forward however, he would be of some value, thats why we'd need to find 2 key forwards, we did the same thing with Rawlings, we tried to turn him into THE key forward when in reality, he was a decent defender at Hawthorn, played a decent season up forward for them, but only managed 30 goals!

We also seemed to make the mistake with not checking his knee's out before trading for him, but thats all ancient history.

If we were able to grab a Hall, then Boyle would be fine, but Barry told Rocket that he wants to stay at Sydney.

So that begs the question, who do we chase? We only have a second round pick to play with, unless we dangle out one of our required players, as Geelong did to nab Ottens!

We want a second round pick for Farren Ray, but i'd imagine we might get a 3rd rounder for him.

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 07:44 PM
If we can only geta 3rd round pick for Ray, I

LostDoggy
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Sorry about that.

I would keep Ray if we only get a third round pick.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry about that.

I would keep Ray if we only get a third round pick.
That's ok KO-KO.

Scraggers
06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't see how this is any different to the discussions about Thorp ... other than Thorp is four year younger than Boyle !!!

If I had to choose between the two ... mmmm ... neither thanks !!!

Recruit youngens ... build our team !!

The only action I would be interested in this week is a striaght swap of Farren Ray for Ben Reid

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't see how this is any different to the discussions about Thorp ... other than Thorp is four year younger than Boyle !!!

If I had to choose between the two ... mmmm ... neither thanks !!!

Recruit youngens ... build our team !!

The only action I would be interested in this week is a striaght swap of Farren Ray for Ben Reid

Thorp is young.

The Pie Man
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I think the fact that he really isn't a go to forward has to be the pass/fail criteria on recruiting any forward, and from the sounds of it Boyle fails miserably

IMO Welsh is a class act, he had a down patch during the season, but with a full pre-season could again produce another strong season, but again he is a second or third prong of an attack ideally.

Clearly not a popular idea (and I'm not shocked) though think about it - Boyle's presence could extend Welsh's career. He got Scarlett in the prelim, he wouldn't have with Boyle there.

Sockeye Salmon
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Clearly not a popular idea (and I'm not shocked) though think about it - Boyle's presence could extend Welsh's career. He got Scarlett in the prelim, he wouldn't have with Boyle there.

Cool. Scarlett could take turns destroying both of them.

We're not in the business of prolonging careers unless it's in the clubs best interests.

I want someone who's going to take Welsh's position not make him look good by comparison.

Scraggers
06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Cool. Scarlett could take turns destroying both of them.

We're not in the business of prolonging careers unless it's in the clubs best interests.

I want someone who's going to take Welsh's position not make him look good by comparison.

Can I infer from your comments that you agree both Thorp and Boyle are a bad move ??

Sockeye Salmon
07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Can I infer from your comments that you agree both Thorp and Boyle are a bad move ??

Boyle is a hack who would add nothing.

Thorp will be a seriously good player who I would take in a heartbeat but we won't get.

Scraggers
07-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Boyle is a hack who would add nothing.

Thorp will be a seriously good player who I would take in a heartbeat but we won't get.

I'm interested to know why ?Boyle has played thirty-ish games (20 in one season and kicked 35 goals) Whereas Thorp has played one game, and didn't do much in the twos this year !!

Secondly, why don'y you think we will get Thorp ??

(mind you I don't rate either player and hope we steer well clear of both)

The Pie Man
07-10-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm interested to know why ?Boyle has played thirty-ish games (20 in one season and kicked 35 goals) Whereas Thorp has played one game, and didn't do much in the twos this year !!

Thorp re-signed recently for 2 years.

SS, fair call - I won't spew if we do get Boyle, but it seems plenty will

Sockeye Salmon
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM

Boyle will forever be known as the guy who got bent over by Andrew Macdougall.

Thorp was a huge talent when he was drafted and played 1-2 games last year. This year he was hurt and only managed about a dozen games for Box Hill.

His DOB is 25/12/88 (Merry Christmas) which makes him younger than Harbrow, Lynch or Stack!