PDA

View Full Version : Our defence - exposed early?

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 10:37 AM
A good post from another thread:

Here in lies the problem, and unless we can do something to stop this any side with a few decent talls will kill us like the Saints did in round 21. This is definantly our weak spot and every side knows it.

No Harris early on, and now possibly Grant who won't be there next season. Will we need to see McD trialled there?

Thoughts?

southerncross
18-03-2007, 10:41 AM
A good post from another thread:

No Harris early on, and now possibly Grant who won't be there next season. Will we need to see McD trialled there?

Thoughts?

I think we will again resort to a small forward set-up so that we can shuffle a few talls into the back half. Doogs could be the man for one of the tall defenders jobs but I suppose between Morris, Hargrave, Wight and Grant if he is available "should" be able to over most of the possible scenario's.

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Assumes Wight is up to it, which I'm not too sure about.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Assumes Wight is up to it, which I'm not too sure about.

He can cover the 3rd tall in most cases and I think we all acknowledge that there isn't many other viable options. Perhaps Walsh or Tiller might come good later in the season. Baird seems to be a little way off being a viable key defender.

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Interesting (in a grim sense) that all our injuries in recent seasons were forwards, ruckmen etc not defenders

Will be interesting

alwaysadog
18-03-2007, 10:58 AM
He can cover the 3rd tall in most cases and I think we all acknowledge that there isn't many other viable options. Perhaps Walsh or Tiller might come good later in the season. Baird seems to be a little way off being a viable key defender.

It's not a new problem. It is why Scott Wynd was so valuable because he stopped opposition tall HFs from dominating in the air. We have to hope that either one of the younger talls emerges, or that one of Minson or Street can become more adept at dropping back and filling the void. I agree the hype around Wight is a little premature, though I see positive signs longer term.

Our strategy seems to be that our positives out weigh our negatives, this may get us through the home and away season but finals will expose our weaknesses to a more rigorous examination.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 02:52 PM
It's not a new problem. It is why Scott Wynd was so valuable because he stopped opposition tall HFs from dominating in the air. We have to hope that either one of the younger talls emerges, or that one of Minson or Street can become more adept at dropping back and filling the void. I agree the hype around Wight is a little premature, though I see positive signs longer term.

Our strategy seems to be that our positives out weigh our negatives, this may get us through the home and away season but finals will expose our weaknesses to a more rigorous examination.

Ruckman dropping back like Wynd used to is almost a thing of the past. The game moves that much quicker. The problem has been around for years and as you say other teams will try to expose it in the big games.

Dry Rot
18-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Ruckman dropping back like Wynd used to is almost a thing of the past. The game moves that much quicker. The problem has been around for years and as you say other teams will try to expose it in the big games.

Hm, reminds me of the old "draft for needs" vs "draft the best available player" discussions...

LostDoggy
18-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Hm, reminds me of the old "draft for needs" vs "draft the best available player" discussions...
No it's a fair bit different than that. Most advocate using the early selections for the best and the ones after that for the needs. That way you get a balanced line-up. I still I find it a difficult pill to swallow given that we still are light on for key tall players and when we do draft them they are always long term projects.
Everitt should be a good one but wouldn't a ready made player like Sellars have been a better option for us?

bulldogtragic
18-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Will Everitt get an early game, against the Cats?

Assuming Grant and Harris our out, Walsh, Williams and Tiller aren't up to it, O'shea is just raw. Baird can't play back and Doogs would be ebtter suited forward or a floating back.

Perhaps Wight on Ottens (Height and Speed ok, strength may be an issue), Hargrave on Mooney (strength and speed covered, height should be okay.

If they strecth us with say Nathan Ablett or a similar tall, perhaps Everitt at 194cm and very quick could do the job on Nablett. Nablett is still raw himself in terms of strength, although you'd imagine stronger than Andrejs. But due to necessity, perhaps Everitt is the man to step up to the plate if we need a tall who can play back and contribute to our running game.

The more I think about Grant and Harris out, the more me thinks Andrejs could crack an early game out of necessity.

BulldogBelle
18-03-2007, 05:15 PM
With Harris out for the first two rounds through suspension it has thrown a slight spanner in the works ( gees, I hate it when our players get suspended) and with Grant possibly out, Wight/Doogs will have to try and fill that hole in defence. Will be interesting to see how it will all unfold.

GVGjr
18-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Will Everitt get an early game, against the Cats?

Assuming Grant and Harris our out, Walsh, Williams and Tiller aren't up to it, O'shea is just raw. Baird can't play back and Doogs would be ebtter suited forward or a floating back.

Perhaps Wight on Ottens (Height and Speed ok, strength may be an issue), Hargrave on Mooney (strength and speed covered, height should be okay.

If they strecth us with say Nathan Ablett or a similar tall, perhaps Everitt at 194cm and very quick could do the job on Nablett. Nablett is still raw himself in terms of strength, although you'd imagine stronger than Andrejs. But due to necessity, perhaps Everitt is the man to step up to the plate if we need a tall who can play back and contribute to our running game.

The more I think about Grant and Harris out, the more me thinks Andrejs could crack an early game out of necessity.

Morris, Wight and Hargrave with help from McDougall will be it and I don't Andrejs is ready yet. Grant's groin injury might not be such a big issue anyway.

Raw Toast
21-03-2007, 11:45 AM
For me the main issue is still our intensity at the ball and associated issues like contested ball work and clearences.

I think that often this season when we win people will laud our speed, and when we lose they'll point to problems with our defence and height. But like last season I reckon the main factor will be how we've attacked the ball.

Harris is important to our structure, but not as important as West, Cross, or for that matter Johnson.

It also looks like Murphy'll be a chance to play back a bit at least early in the season. He and Doogs might rotate a bit I reckon.

LostDoggy
21-03-2007, 02:47 PM
For me the main issue is still our intensity at the ball and associated issues like contested ball work and clearences.

I think that often this season when we win people will laud our speed, and when we lose they'll point to problems with our defence and height. But like last season I reckon the main factor will be how we've attacked the ball.

Harris is important to our structure, but not as important as West, Cross, or for that matter Johnson.

It also looks like Murphy'll be a chance to play back a bit at least early in the season. He and Doogs might rotate a bit I reckon.

What he said.
Our defence isn't so much a problem. When we lose the midfield our defence is exposed, which is what happened v Saints late 2006. We could have the best defence in the league but if the ball is coming in easily and regularily then a half decent forward line will beat us.