PDA

View Full Version : Why do I feel this way? (March 28th, 2007)

mjp
28-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Something is definitely wrong. The season is 2 days away - the Dogs first game (a home game no less) just 4 days away. In the last game we played in Melbourne, we defeated Collingwood in what really was a fantastic display - and (being a Perth ex-pat) in the first Melbourne final I have ever gotten to see. In the off season we have added a 3 time premiership player (who is also a Brownlow Medal, B&F winning charismatic superstar), had our former captain (Darcy) along with possibly our most important player (Murphy) return from serious knee surgeries. We have a coach I trust, record membership and a ground redevelopment underway...we have exciting young players who seem to have no fears (no peers?) about the level of competition that they are playing...did I mention we are playing the team that has who I regard as the worst coach in the AFL in charge and who under-achieved terribly in 2006 in round one?

Everyone is excited and looking forward to the season. Everyone is predicting success. I cannot feel the excitement - I am just worried that something - something bad - is about to happen and the rug is about to be pulled out from under...I have a terrible feeling about the Geelong game, and a worse feeling about the season at large...

southerncross
28-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I think its called the weight of expectation and the reality that with everything going our way, there can be no more excuses.
Our time has come and the excitement that we would normally feel this time of the year has been replaced with a chilling sense of responsibility to deliver. I think this numbs the excitement. I feel more nervous than excitement.

firstdogonthemoon
28-03-2007, 09:13 PM
I have had a quick look on the internet and there are a few likely possibilities.

Have you had a baby recently? It could be post partum depression.

Or perhaps you have bronchial asthma?

You may have a food allergy.

You may be clinically depressed. You could be in withdrawal from your anti depressant medication (benzodiazepines), alcohol, nicotine, caffeine.

You may have been watching "A simple life" with Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie.

You may have been thinking about the possibility of the coalition being returned at the next federal election.

Any or all of these things could illicit illogical and unexplainable feelings of anxiety and concern about a seemingly unrelated issue (Cats vs Dogs on Sunday).

I would also suggest that in my experience Dogs fans are the first to grasp at the tiniest straws of hope, and the first to give way in despair.

As Nick Cave said on reading the Gospel of St Mark "The light is dim and buttery in the engulfing darkness. Christ came to me in this way, lumen Christi, with a dim light, a sad light, but light enough."

As an atheist and anarcho-syndicalist I can sympathise with your position, however I completely understand where Nick Cave is coming from.

Have faith Comrade. When all else fails, faith is enough.

Mofra
28-03-2007, 09:52 PM
FDOTM, excellent. Was learning towards a discourse on a supporter's life being ill-prepared for the adjustments to a long term period of success, but your's appears more entertaining.

mjp
29-03-2007, 09:18 AM
After such a well researched response, I cannot let it go without response!

Have you had a baby recently? It could be post partum depression.

Yes, I have actually. But he is an absolute legend and not the reason why

Or perhaps you have bronchial asthma?

You may have a food allergy.

No asthma. I am allergic to yeast though, which can cause me to have hayfever like symptoms after drinking Coopers Sparkling Ale though.

You may be clinically depressed. You could be in withdrawal from your anti depressant medication (benzodiazepines), alcohol, nicotine, caffeine.
Heavy, heavy caffeine addiction - but it is one that I feed rather than fight withdrawl.

You may have been watching "A simple life" with Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie.

Ummm. No.

You may have been thinking about the possibility of the coalition being returned at the next federal election.

Somewhat of a concern, but I have very little faith in the alternative - both scenarios cause me trauma, so thanks for bringing this up.

Any or all of these things could illicit illogical and unexplainable feelings of anxiety and concern about a seemingly unrelated issue (Cats vs Dogs on Sunday).

I would also suggest that in my experience Dogs fans are the first to grasp at the tiniest straws of hope, and the first to give way in despair.

Maybe. I am normally a pretty resilient sort though, and have been able to maintain a fairly balanced approach over the last couple of seasons (vs Melbourne at MCG, 2005 a notable exception)...

As Nick Cave said on reading the Gospel of St Mark "The light is dim and buttery in the engulfing darkness. Christ came to me in this way, lumen Christi, with a dim light, a sad light, but light enough."

As an atheist and anarcho-syndicalist I can sympathise with your position, however I completely understand where Nick Cave is coming from.

Nick Cave? Now there's an idea - but what about looking at it from the perspective of Morrissey?
It's time the tale were told
Of how you took a child
And you made him old

Our most enjoyable seasons have come from humble beginnings (think '97) and I cant help but worry anytime we are expected to win!

Have faith Comrade. When all else fails, faith is enough.
For what it is worth, I feel much better having read your list of potential explanations. I am still worried about this week/season, but I do feel better.

aker39
29-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't think I have ever felt such expectation towards a season as this year.

But with the expectation, also comes a lot of nerves. I guess that just comes with the territory of being a bulldog supporter. We have had our hopes built up so many times and then shot down in flames.

That being said, I am looking foward to Sunday, mainly to see how Aker goes, how Darc and Murp come back from injury, and how Griff and Higgins take it to the next level.

Bring it on.

C'mon Dogs.

Dry Rot
29-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Everyone is excited and looking forward to the season. Everyone is predicting success. I cannot feel the excitement - I am just worried that something - something bad - is about to happen and the rug is about to be pulled out from under...I have a terrible feeling about the Geelong game, and a worse feeling about the season at large...

Maybe it's something to do with trying to integrate 5 "new" players into the side (two of them recovering from ACLs), no improvement shown in the clearances and that we're missing our best ruckman, our FB and possibly Grant?

Or is it that this forward line has never played together before, and we haven't had such a structure for the midfield to kick to for years?

I have no idea how this side will go early in the season.

LostDoggy
29-03-2007, 10:57 AM
that we're missing our best ruckman

Some people are happy Street is not playing. If he is our best ruckman, then the reasons people are nervous are different.

Dry Rot
29-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Some people are happy Street is not playing.

I know - all the Geelong fans. ;)

Go_Dogs
29-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Some people are happy Street is not playing.

I'd be one of them I think...at this stage at least.

LostDoggy
29-03-2007, 02:35 PM
I saw Essendon beat the Swans in round 1 last year. Ok the umpiring against the Swans early in the game was shocking.
Swans made the GF and without Carlton, Essendon should have been wooden spooners.

I want to win and I think we should win but if we lose(narrowly) its not a big deal.
We don't need or want to be at the top of our game just yet.

Twodogs
29-03-2007, 02:36 PM
The first thing I thought was 'new baby' but this is Mikes third baby so that cant be it.

Like other posters I think it's weight of expectation and the natural pessimism of us Bulldog supporters. Because things have gone relatively well for a while now then things must be about to fall apart. But things havent been going that well. Not onfield at least.

After the West Coast game at Subi in r12 we were 8/4 then lost 6 of our last 10 to finish 8th. With finals that gives us 5 wins from our last 13 games. Not real great exposed form but with players coming back and new players being introduced I'm quite bullish about this season.

alwaysadog
30-03-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm quite bullish about this season.

Me too, though not sure what sort of start we'll have. Mind you we looked to be a shambles heading into round 1 last year and look what happened. Still too many questions about the forwards and some big holes down back, but a better midfield than ever. If Eade were to make a cherry ripe statement this year I'd feel a lot more confident.

firstdogonthemoon
30-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Ive been thinking. With all of the media and supporter expectations. Geelong will be in trouble if they dont win. However we will just be seen as slow starters.

We can afford to lose this one (sort of) but they cant really afford to lose any.

I dont think they will be any hungrier than us though.

It may come down to a competition between the two coaches. I would back Mr Eade every time.

bornadog
01-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Something is definitely wrong. The season is 2 days away - the Dogs first game (a home game no less) just 4 days away. In the last game we played in Melbourne, we defeated Collingwood in what really was a fantastic display - and (being a Perth ex-pat) in the first Melbourne final I have ever gotten to see. In the off season we have added a 3 time premiership player (who is also a Brownlow Medal, B&F winning charismatic superstar), had our former captain (Darcy) along with possibly our most important player (Murphy) return from serious knee surgeries. We have a coach I trust, record membership and a ground redevelopment underway...we have exciting young players who seem to have no fears (no peers?) about the level of competition that they are playing...did I mention we are playing the team that has who I regard as the worst coach in the AFL in charge and who under-achieved terribly in 2006 in round one?

How do you feel now?

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 05:56 AM
How do you feel now?

I don't know about bornadog, but I still don't feel too wonderful. Everything tells me I should.

I put it down to being in new territory; not being the underdog. Like all Bullies supporters I've dreamed and hoped for a side to really be capable of having a crack and for the football we play to be admired.

Now it's beginning to come together I feel like someone who has just painted the house and everyone admires my work, but when I stand back and look all I can see are the imperfections.

Mind you I'm not complaining, if being successful as a football team takes some emotional getting used to then I guess I can bear the short term anxiety.

bornadog
02-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't know about bornadog, but I still don't feel too wonderful. Everything tells me I should.

Mind you I'm not complaining, if being successful as a football team takes some emotional getting used to then I guess I can bear the short term anxiety.

Actually, I know what you mean, its a different feeling when your not expected to win and you do. In the past when the team was still developing, and you won, it was a very sweet victory, it was a different feeling, but when you are expected to win, you do feel something different in side. Its hard to explain.

I was very nervous before yesterdays game, but now that its over, I feel we have what it takes to go all the way. I can't wait for next week.

mjp
02-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Actually, I know what you mean, its a different feeling when your not expected to win and you do. In the past when the team was still developing, and you won, it was a very sweet victory, it was a different feeling, but when you are expected to win, you do feel something different in side. Its hard to explain.

I was very nervous before yesterdays game, but now that its over, I feel we have what it takes to go all the way. I can't wait for next week.

I am pleased that we won. Having watched the Eagles-Swans game from Saturday night a couple of times now, I will say that the intensity on Sunday afternoon was several levels below that. We have a way to go, but Geelong are not capable of challenging us in that way.

We have a capable side, and can realistically approach every week with a positive expectation...I guess I would say that where we are at right now is at the 'End of the beginning'. If you consider that when Eade arrived 'the beginning' that is. The footy department have implemented the game plan that they want, and built the team they want to execute it. With the addition of Aker and Doogs, along with the return of Darcy and Murphy, they are now 'set' in terms of the playing list (the kids they picked this year showed this up)...and it is time to play.

Yesterday was the first time I saw things this way - I actually think that inside the club they think we have a shot at it this year...

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 08:43 PM
'End of the beginning'.

Churchill. The greatest back to the wall speech of all time.

I'm now going though a lot of emotions. I'm relieved, rather than happy, to have won yesterday. We played some very good footy and enough of it was different enough from last year to make me sit up and take notice-I've seen the game three times now.

I'm also acutely aware that we've won one game and that 21 weeks of the season yawns before us. The expectation is overwhelming.

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Churchill. The greatest back to the wall speech of all time.

I'm now going though a lot of emotions. I'm relieved, rather than happy, to have won yesterday. We played some very good footy and enough of it was different enough from last year to make me sit up and take notice-I've seen the game three times now.

I'm also acutely aware that we've won one game and that 21 weeks of the season yawns before us. The expectation is overwhelming.

Sums it up perfectly for me :D

westdog54
02-04-2007, 09:59 PM

I think MJP has watched one too many episodes of "Hannah Montana" with his daughter on the Disney Channel.

Any show featuring Billy Ray Cyrus and his daughter would put me off a grand final let alone round 1.

MJP, you've gotta ditch the Disney Channel and fast!

firstdogonthemoon
03-04-2007, 06:38 AM
I think MJP has watched one too many episodes of "Hannah Montana" with his daughter on the Disney Channel.

Any show featuring Billy Ray Cyrus and his daughter would put me off a grand final let alone round 1.

MJP, you've gotta ditch the Disney Channel and fast!

No way, I love that show. But Raven is my favourite.

westdog54
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
No way, I love that show. But Raven is my favourite.

Good grief not you too??!!

Raw Toast
03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I am pleased that we won. Having watched the Eagles-Swans game from Saturday night a couple of times now, I will say that the intensity on Sunday afternoon was several levels below that. We have a way to go, but Geelong are not capable of challenging us in that way.

We have a capable side, and can realistically approach every week with a positive expectation...I guess I would say that where we are at right now is at the 'End of the beginning'. If you consider that when Eade arrived 'the beginning' that is. The footy department have implemented the game plan that they want, and built the team they want to execute it. With the addition of Aker and Doogs, along with the return of Darcy and Murphy, they are now 'set' in terms of the playing list (the kids they picked this year showed this up)...and it is time to play.

Yesterday was the first time I saw things this way - I actually think that inside the club they think we have a shot at it this year...

Great post Mike. Seems obvious once you think about it, but I hadn't really thought of it this way either (or at least not this clearly). We drafted a group of kids to sustain the success the footy dept thinks and hopes we will have while the kids are still developing.

alwaysadog
08-04-2007, 10:52 PM
It all came flooding back today; the memories of all the games were were favoutites to win and turned in an insipid performance like today - outclassed, outcoached and out performed

Dry Rot
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Maybe it's something to do with trying to integrate 5 "new" players into the side (two of them recovering from ACLs), no improvement shown in the clearances and that we're missing our best ruckman, our FB and possibly Grant?

Or is it that this forward line has never played together before, and we haven't had such a structure for the midfield to kick to for years?

I have no idea how this side will go early in the season.

Got a fair bit right here. Poor ruckman, smashed in the clearances and nobody knows how to kick to a tall forward.

While we have shown some improvement with tackling, a lot of last season's problems remain.

alwaysadog
10-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Got a fair bit right here. Poor ruckman, smashed in the clearances and nobody knows how to kick to a tall forward.

While we have shown some improvement with tackling, a lot of last season's problems remain.

Think it's more mental than anything else. Can't tell from that dispaly what we've improved at. We don't need them to hit top form yet but we don't need to have the football world thinking we are soft either. Round one confirmed that we are certs for the flag, all we have to do is turn up, round two was a reality check. Will be interesting to see if we can respond appropriately. That's the reason we have this feeling.