PDA

View Full Version : Cooney a 50-50 chance to return

Rocket Science
22-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Cooney a 50-50 chance to return (http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/cooney-a-5050-chance-to-return/2009/04/22/1240079716966.html)

The Age - April 22, 2009 - 2:10PM

Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney may be a late inclusion in the Western Bulldogs' side to face Carlton on Sunday.

Cooney and star forward Robert Murphy have both been sidelined with knee injuries and while Murphy will play, a decision on Cooney will be made later in the week.

Both players trained away from the main group on Wednesday and coach Rodney Eade said Cooney had made an impressive improvement after keyhole surgery.

"He was a bit slow till yesterday but he made a vast improvement today in 24 hours," Eade said.

"He's probably a 50-50 at this stage so hopefully if he can increase the improvement at the rate that he has over the last 24 hours he'll be a good chance."

The Bulldogs will be lining up against Carlton after returning from their second trip to Perth this year - and their first loss last Sunday when beaten by West Coast.

Eade said, though, the travelling early in the season did not seem to have translated into tiredness on the training track.

"I think you can tell with their enthusiasm level, if they're flat. Obviously (it's) the body language.

"We do some testing about their legs and I think that's the main area where you get fatigue, your legs get heavy.

"Obviously there's a mental aspect to it as well - players have got to be able to cope with that and it's marvellous if they can will themselves through any tiredness, they can.

"I certainly don't think it's an excuse...it's up to the individual but obviously you tailor your programs to cope to actually cater for it," he said.

He said not having to play until Sunday would help the group but there was a slight chance tiredness could be an issue.

"It could be I suppose but an extra day's break is going to help - seven days helps.

"Six days is always a challenge when you're flying.

"I think they've recovered pretty well, we've had a really big pre-season so they've had a lot of fitness in them.

"I think mentally they're okay, they've got confidence in their bodies."

Carlton has had a mixed start with two wins and two losses but Eade said they could be dangerous this weekend.

"I think you always prepare for a team at their best.

"They're going to have a couple of good ins this week - (Andrew) Carrazzo and (Heath) Scotland, maybe (Michael) Jamison so they're nearly at full strength and they'll be smarting after the two losses."

But he dismissed the suggestion they would gain extra motivation from the fact their chairman, billionaire Richard Pratt is gravely ill.

"We've got a lot to play for, too," Eade said.

"I don't think milestones - when a player plays 200 or whether someone's ill, I don't think it's going to give anyone any extra motivation.

"I don't think it's a big issue."

AAP

LostDoggy
22-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Here is the AFL report with a bit more info..

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/75425/default.aspx

Eade also named Jarrad Grant and Guy O'Keefe, both of whom have yet to debut, and single-gamer Sam Reid as possible inclusions for the clash with the Blues.

Scott Welsh will return for Williamstown this weekend after missing last round with a back problem. Eade said he was expected to push for selection in two to three weeks time.

He also said the players had generally pulled up well after their trip to Perth on the weekend, although Brian Lake was absent from Wednesday's session. <- Concern? :|

Good news to hear we are likely to play one of Grant Okeefe or Reid.

comrade
22-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Good news to hear we are likely to play one of Grant Okeefe or Reid.

Or none at all.

LostDoggy
22-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I reckon it's time for a another debut - Picken had a successful debut, Grant and O'Keefe debuting against the hated Carlton Blues would be great!

bornadog
22-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Lake and a few others (not sure who) have the flu?

Happy Days
22-04-2009, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to bring in Grant, as Carlton's backline is young, and as mentioned by others, not as physical as some others, so this would be a good time to ease him into league footy. O'Keefe's VFL form more than warrants a callup.

As for Murph/Coons, why risk them with a much more important matchup next week. One week at a time only goes so far; give Murph another run in the two's, bring Coons straight back in next week.

Rocket Science
22-04-2009, 05:26 PM
This isn't an argument for or against a Grant debut this week, but with Thornton probably going to Minson, that means Grant would attract one of Waite or Jamison, both of whom can play a bit.

Mofra
23-04-2009, 10:23 AM
This isn't an argument for or against a Grant debut this week, but with Thornton probably going to Minson, that means Grant would attract one of Waite or Jamison, both of whom can play a bit.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Waite go forward, with Cloke having to ruck. Jamison is handy but he is no certainty to play. I wouldn't be against Grant playing, if only because Murphy wont be the lead up forward he was given he is coming back from injury.