PDA

View Full Version : WOOF Player Awards

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 05:57 PM
There are two awards that you can vote on.

The first one is for the Joe Marmo Medal for the best players on the ground.

There are 4 votes allocated and it's a 1 for the best and of course 2, 3 and 4.

The second award is for the Ron James Medal for the best 2 pups on the ground

Cast your votes and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Marmo

1: Johnson - Sensational effort
2: Cross - Worked had all game
3: Gilbee - Controlled the back line. That spoil in the last quarter was classy.
4: Cooney - Got the first goal and it was a welcome return for someone who struggled through the pre-season.

Special mention to McMahon.

James
1: Cooney
2: Griffen

Dry Rot
01-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Marmo:

4: Johnson
3: Gilbee
2: Cross
1: Wight

(Is this correct order of things ie Johnno top = 4 votes?)

Re James, define pups please. Dunno if Cooney is one anymore

GVGjr
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Re James, define pups please. Dunno if Cooney is one anymore

Under the age of 22 at the start of the season. Cooney qualifies.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2007, 08:26 PM
1.Johnson
2. Gilbee
3. Cooney
4. McMahon

Honorable mention to Boyd

1.Cooney
2.Wight

Honorable mention to Minson, who I thought was good today, and Griff.

BulldogBelle
01-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Marmo -

1. Johnson
2. Cross
3. Gilbee
4. Eagleton

James -

1. Cooney
2. Wight

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2007, 10:34 PM
1. Johnson
2. Gilbee
3. McMahon
4. Cooney

To my way of thinking I felt we only had three players eligible for Ron James votes today and they were Wight, Higgins and McDougall

1. Wight
2. Higgins

I feel I cant vote for Griff, Coon or Fazza Ray because I believe they should all be contributing strongly weekly and are all senior players now, plus I want them to have medallions hung around their necks sooner rather than later.

Mofra
01-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Marmo

1: Johnson - Clearly. Unstoppable. Beat their Captain & (arguably) their best player.
2: Wight - Purely for his importance to the team
3: Gilbee - Brilliant rebounding game. Would get 4 votes during the season for a similar effort.
4: Cross - Forget his 37 touches. He gets points for his gut-running efforts alone.

James

1: Wight
2: Cooney (added inside midfielder to his bag of tricks. Nice :) )

bornadog
01-04-2007, 10:55 PM
1. Johnson
2. Cross
3. Gilbee
4. McMahon

1. Wight
2. Cooney

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Marmo

1. Johnson
2. Cross
3. Wight
4. Gilbee

James

1. Minson (second quarter efforts in cutting off the supply to their runners and giving ours a chance was crucial)
2. Cooney (more mature display)

LostDoggy
02-04-2007, 07:33 AM
1. Johnno
2. Gilbee
3. Cross
4. Wight

1. Wight
2. Cooney

GVGjr
02-04-2007, 07:54 AM
To my way of thinking I felt we only had three players eligible for Ron James votes today and they were Wight, Higgins and McDougall

1. Wight
2. Higgins

I feel I cant vote for Griff, Coon or Fazza Ray because I believe they should all be contributing strongly weekly and are all senior players now, plus I want them to have medallions hung around their necks sooner rather than later.

They qualify though. Players can receive votes for both medals on the same game.

W W Biscuit
02-04-2007, 08:11 AM
MARMO

1. Brad Johnson
2. Daniel Cross
3. Lindsay GIlbee
4. Nathan Eagleton

BTW, should the best player receive the 4 votes, not the 1?

JAMES

1. Wight
2. Cooney

Go_Dogs
02-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Interesting to see the comment - "Cooney's added an inside midfielder quality to his game" - I feel that he has always been excellent inside? I predict that if Cooney stays a Dog, he will become the equal of BJ. I've said it for a few years now, and I'm getting confident my claims will come to fruition. He's such a quality player, good inside, outside, over head, kicking goals...the real package.

Twodogs
02-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Wight-I am very excited about this guy-works hard on the track and seems to have the right amount of skill, competiveness and downright mongrel to make it. Before the game I couldnt see how we could win unless Wighty blanketed Ottens.

Johnson-Seriously I have man-love for this guy!

Cross-37 touches 86% Effectiveness-Say. No. More.

Gilbee-You just sit in the stands and watch those seering foot passes and think "Thank God he plays for us.

Ronnie James

Wight

Cooney

firstdogonthemoon
02-04-2007, 01:21 PM
1 Johnno
2 Eagle
3 Wight
4 Gilbee

1 Wight
2 Cooney

westdog54
02-04-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm still yet to see the match :mad: so I can't give votes

One thing I did spot scanning through the stats however

Nathan Eagleton, on top of his 20 touches and six marks, had a game high 7 tackles.

I'm pointing this out only because I thought he could've gone a bit harder in the NAB Cup game against the lions. Its obviously something Rocket spotted as well and drummed into him

Raw Toast
02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
1. Johnson (got too hungry though in the last and blazed twice when he should've passed).
2. Cross
3. Gilbee
4. Wight - super important in that he took what Geelong (and most others) seemed to think was their great mis-match and completely shut him down (Ottens didn't even have one shot on goal), which must have contributed to their "shell-shock".

Apologies to McMahon and Morris who should be getting more plaudits I reckon for his job on Ablett jnr.

James:
1. Wight
2. Cooney

Raw Toast
02-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I'm still yet to see the match :mad: so I can't give votes

One thing I did spot scanning through the stats however

Nathan Eagleton, on top of his 20 touches and six marks, had a game high 7 tackles.

I'm pointing this out only because I thought he could've gone a bit harder in the NAB Cup game against the lions. Its obviously something Rocket spotted as well and drummed into him

Eagle's tackles were important, but I'll jump in before Sockeye to mention that one of our promising youngsters, Daniel Thomas Cross had a mere ten tackles for the game, along with the couple of possessions he picked up. [Edit, I see now that the Hun has Cross on 6 and Eagle on 7, whereas Pro-Stats have Cross on 10 & Eagle on 6, fairly big discrepency there. I'm sure Sockeye will tell me to trust Pro-Stats]

westdog54
02-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Eagle's tackles were important, but I'll jump in before Sockeye to mention that one of our promising youngsters, Daniel Thomas Cross had a mere ten tackles for the game, along with the couple of possessions he picked up. [Edit, I see now that the Hun has Cross on 6 and Eagle on 7, whereas Pro-Stats have Cross on 10 & Eagle on 6, fairly big discrepency there. I'm sure Sockeye will tell me to trust Pro-Stats]

I was working off the Hun's stats.

Makes you question the reliability of statistics, to think that either one or both of these seemingly professional organisations is incapable of keeping accurate stats on the game. Maybe a 1 or 2 tackle discrepency is forgivable but 4? Give me a break!

alwaysadog
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I was working off the Hun's stats.

Makes you question the reliability of statistics, to think that either one or both of these seemingly professional organisations is incapable of keeping accurate stats on the game. Maybe a 1 or 2 tackle discrepency is forgivable but 4? Give me a break!

Just confirms what I've long suspected; that the stats aren't all that accurate.

Bulldog Revolution
03-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Interesting to see the comment - "Cooney's added an inside midfielder quality to his game" - I feel that he has always been excellent inside? I predict that if Cooney stays a Dog, he will become the equal of BJ. I've said it for a few years now, and I'm getting confident my claims will come to fruition. He's such a quality player, good inside, outside, over head, kicking goals...the real package.

Thats a big call after Johnson highlight his class on the weekend.

But its not one I would necessarily doubt.

I certainly agree with the call on Cooneys inside game. Cooney is in some ways is a funny player, he is clearly very quick, a very good shot for goal either on the run or set shot, but doesn't appear the greatest field kick, or left foot kick, and I dont know if he is a brilliant handballer either - he has shown signs up forward that he could really develop his aerial ability but he isn't Johnson or Crossy yet.

IMO Cooneys great skill is his evasiveness in being able to win the ball in a pack and dance his way out of it - at times you do marvel at how he does it.

I was extremely impressed with his game, and thought he looked noticably physically fitter which is surprising given the osteitis - and a credit to the conditioning staff

dog town
03-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Coons is just a natural footballer IMO and that is his biggest strength. People talk about his pace and while its a strength I think you will find he doesn't test through the roof for pace. Probably has good pace but not great with his first 5 metres or so being pretty explosive.

Just leads to clever positions and gets himself in the right spots. He is certainly not an elite runner in terms of endurance which is where alot of his scope for improvement comes from. Despite the fact that he is not a big gut runner he still manages to get to the right spots often enough . Reads the ball very well off the pack and always gets his arms free early when he gets possesion which is a natural trait of someone with good inside skills.

Even his kicking skills sometimes have a bit of genius about them. He tends to float alot of kicks but gets alot of right to left swing on them and actually uses this when shooting for goal at times. Darren Jarman was good like that and Nathan Brown was a bit the same.

I think he is pretty good in the air but again I think it is his natural sort of footy awareness that helps him here. Wouldn't say he has a vice like grip when he marks and can get pushed out of contests but he reads the ball earlier than his opponent and angles his body cleverly which gets him alot of marks inside 50.

Just with regards to the tackle stats I think you will find that champion data (hun) records completed tackles or tackles that stop the opposition getting a possesion while prowess (age) record attempted tackles and then add a percentage next to it for completed tackles. In todays age you will see some tackle stats with Cross having 10 tackles at 60% completeion rate.

kennel master
03-04-2007, 09:04 AM
1. Jonno- superstar
2. Cross- works so hard
3. McMahon- love his run
4. Wight- impressive

1. Wight
2. Cooney

Cyberdoggie
03-04-2007, 01:06 PM
this one is tough, need several more spots

1. johnson
2. gilbee
3. crossy
4. eagleton

1. minson
2. wight

anyone who's heard me rant on about eagleton will appreciate that it's a big call for me to put him in the best. I'm not a big fan but i thought he played a magnificent game by his standards. Every blue moon eagle decides to go in hard and tackle, i don't know what triggered this on sunday but he was possesed by something. With endeavour like that i can forgive his poor right foot and consistent clangers, and appreciate the good things he does.

Raw Toast
03-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Just with regards to the tackle stats I think you will find that champion data (hun) records completed tackles or tackles that stop the opposition getting a possesion while prowess (age) record attempted tackles and then add a percentage next to it for completed tackles. In todays age you will see some tackle stats with Cross having 10 tackles at 60% completeion rate.

Thanks for clearing this up dt. Still a little strange then that Prowess gave Eagle one less tackle, and Power two less.

Good dicussion re Cooney. Is he a more natural player than Griffen? Griff crmbs v well, provides good run and presents well (and seems a natural leader), but it seemed to me that he wasn't in the right places as much as Cooney. I'm not sure about this, and he's still probably recovering from his thigh strain and building his fitness, but he did appear a bit uncertain where to position himself at times.

dog town
03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks for clearing this up dt. Still a little strange then that Prowess gave Eagle one less tackle, and Power two less.

Good dicussion re Cooney. Is he a more natural player than Griffen? Griff crmbs v well, provides good run and presents well (and seems a natural leader), but it seemed to me that he wasn't in the right places as much as Cooney. I'm not sure about this, and he's still probably recovering from his thigh strain and building his fitness, but he did appear a bit uncertain where to position himself at times. Griffen probably doesn't read the play as well as Cooney but I would still say he is a natural footballer. He uses his strength over the ball and evasiveness to win it rather than positioning. They are pretty similar in alot of ways but I think that Cooney is more of a natural footballer particularly as a midfielder. Griffen will need a big fitness base to play midfield the way he plays but he has already shown signs of that. They both have that explosive quality to them when they come away from traffic and could be our version of Judd , Cousins and Kerr.

Twodogs
03-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I think the biggest difference in Cooney and Griffen is that from day one we have drilled a defensive ethic into Griff but Cooney is used as a pure attacking weapon. Griff's going to be playing on the opposition's Cooney, our Cooney is going to spend his time getting away from their version of Griffen.

Mofra
03-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I think the biggest difference in Cooney and Griffen is that from day one we have drilled a defensive ethic into Griff but Cooney is used as a pure attacking weapon. Griff's going to be playing on the opposition's Cooney, our Cooney is going to spend his time getting away from their version of Griffen.

Given two more pre-seasons... will any other team have their equivalents (Save for WCE)? Perhaps if Murphy & Gibbs live up to the hype...

southerncross
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Given two more pre-seasons... will any other team have their equivalents (Save for WCE)? Perhaps if Murphy & Gibbs live up to the hype...

Gibbs and Murphy seem a likely duo. The Hawks would hope that a combination of Ellis, Lewis and Muston might fix their midfield dilemma.

Twodogs
03-04-2007, 10:08 PM

I havent seen enough of Gibbs or Murphy to make an informed judgement but I reckon that Griff in particular could be a really special player. Watching him and Cooney ripping up opposition teams for the next decade is going to be fun.

Bulldog Revolution
03-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Coons is just a natural footballer IMO and that is his biggest strength. People talk about his pace and while its a strength I think you will find he doesn't test through the roof for pace. Probably has good pace but not great with his first 5 metres or so being pretty explosive.

Just leads to clever positions and gets himself in the right spots. He is certainly not an elite runner in terms of endurance which is where alot of his scope for improvement comes from. Despite the fact that he is not a big gut runner he still manages to get to the right spots often enough . Reads the ball very well off the pack and always gets his arms free early when he gets possesion which is a natural trait of someone with good inside skills.

Even his kicking skills sometimes have a bit of genius about them. He tends to float alot of kicks but gets alot of right to left swing on them and actually uses this when shooting for goal at times. Darren Jarman was good like that and Nathan Brown was a bit the same.

I think he is pretty good in the air but again I think it is his natural sort of footy awareness that helps him here. Wouldn't say he has a vice like grip when he marks and can get pushed out of contests but he reads the ball earlier than his opponent and angles his body cleverly which gets him alot of marks inside 50.

What does natural footballer mean to you Dog Town?

Is it what appears to be just an ability to get his hands on the ball, reading the play? getting to the right spots?

how would you describe it?

Luckystrike
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
1. Johnson
2. Gilbee
3. Cross
4. McMahon

Pups
1. Wight
2. Cooooooooooon

Sockeye Salmon
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Is it what appears to be just an ability to get his hands on the ball, reading the play? getting to the right spots?

how would you describe it?

"Natural footballer" is an instinct. Although the term is somewhat misleading because it's usually not a "natural" thing at all. It usually comes from being a footy nut when you are 4 years old. You follow the game all your life and you understand the nuances.

You instinctively know what is going to happen slightly before the others. You know from the way the ball is spinning in the air how it will bounce before it hits the ground. You know what the other guy is going to do before he's done it. You know the exact instant when and where to lead.

Scott West will never be considered quick yet he continually gets to the ball first, he simply starts running to the right spots before everyone else does.

dog town
04-04-2007, 06:16 PM

how would you describe it? I meant to say that the term is pretty much open to each individuals own interpretation of what a natural footballer is.

My version of a natural footballer is pretty similar to Sockeye. As he said it is basically an instinct or an innate ability to know what to do in any situation quicker than most. Whether it be by reading the pattern of play better than others , the drop of the ball off a pack , being able to create good angles with positioning either in a marking situation or at ground level some guys just have that ability and it is hard to teach.

Even some of the dogged defenders that the game has seen have their own version of it in that they just know how to get an arm or put an opponent off balance regardless of size disadvantage etc. Some guys just find a way.

Go_Dogs
04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
When to lead, when to use body, etc. Granty has it, Johnno has it, Cooney has it, Griff has a bit of it, Higgins I think has it...we have a few players on the list at the moment who are very talented footballers.

Good discussion in here by everyone.

bornadog
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
When to lead, when to use body, etc. Granty has it, Johnno has it, Cooney has it, Griff has a bit of it, Higgins I think has it...we have a few players on the list at the moment who are very talented footballers.

Good discussion in here by everyone.

To me natural is when you don't need much coaching to bring the best out of you, natural skills is really what its all about. Some players need lots of coaching to teach them what to do.

firstdogonthemoon
07-04-2007, 07:45 AM
I love this forum - for someone trying to learn about the game this is absolutely the best place to be. You lot share your opinions and your knowledge in such a thoughtful and accessible way it makes every thread a delight to read.

You are all the Scott Wests of the internet.

Thanks