PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas

Go_Dogs
15-04-2007, 12:20 PM
After the last 2 weeks there are a few changes I would like to see occur over the next 6 or so rounds to hopefully help our team out a bit.

Firstly, I'd love to see Faulkner get a run. He's tough at the contest and at the body, something which we really lack around the clearance. He could be used to play midfield roles in bursts and also rest forward, where he could be dangerous too. I feel that we need some of his hardness and excitement in the team, and that he'd offer us a lot.

McMahon needs to play in the midfield more too. He's explosive and always prepared to run. We need his dash and ability to ignite us closer to the ball, where he can help improve our F50 entries, help apply some better defensive pressure running backwards and also add some more speed and burst ability to our clearances.

Tommy Williams needs to step up. We need someone with his size in our backline to help our ability to cover taller forwards. It would allow Hargrave and Morris better match ups, and really make us a lot more versatile. Suddenly Hargrave can play forward a bit, perhaps even Harris could have a bit of a run in the forward line. Having that luxury would be excellent.

We need a defensive midfield stopper too. I know Eade doesn't like to apply negating tactics in the centre, but we really need one player to concede their game for the teams benefit when someone from the opposition is tearing us apart. I think Morris is our best option to do this, but I also wouldn't mind Ray perhaps trying to develop himself into a tagging midfielder. He's got the aerobic capacity and perhaps it will help teach him where to find the ball and how good, inside midfielders play the game. We really need just 1 bloke though who can shut down.

We need to be better at isolating Johnson with our delivery to the F50. Too often last night we looked for and went to Johnno when he was double teamed. I know how good a mark he is, but there is no way that someone of his size should be competing against 2 guys. If they play a spare man, someone has to man him up. If Johnson is being double team, let him lead out and kick into the space behind him. We need to be smarter with our delivery.

We need Hahn back. He offers us so much intensity, such an inspiring player. Having him back will be an enormous help to our clearance, our defensive pressure in the F50, and just add another hard body to our line up.

Overall not all is lost, and I don't feel as though I'm advocating drastic changes, but I feel we are too easily pushed off the footy, or don't go hard enough to get it. Our work rate has seemed down a bit, and we have lost a bit of the spark that we're used to seeing. Hopefully we can revive it.

Does anyone else have any opinions on what we could do to improve our current form?

LostDoggy
15-04-2007, 04:13 PM
McMahon#23, there are some excellent ideas but specifically which players would you drop to make room for guys like Faulkner that you nominated?I'm also assuming that Williams is not fit enough yet and Hahn will not be ready for a couple of weeks.

First up I would give Minson a spell and replace him with McDougall. I would then use McDougall as a back-up key defender alongside of Harris and Wight if needed.
This would leave Street and Darcy to tackle the Tigers ruckman which may include Simmonds. McDougall may support them if needed.

I would then look to bring in Cameron Faulkner and give Farren Ray a spell. Ray had an injury free pre-season but has come up short on delivery with his skills and decision making causing us concerns.

I like the idea of moving McMahon up the ground and Gilbee needs a run on the wing as well. Morris who is down on form becomes a defensive stopper on the oppositions best small forward. I tempted to use Cooney as a defender so that he can be more creative. He could be swapped with Power.

This is how I would structure the team for the game against the Tigers
Morris - Hargrave - Wight
Griffen - Harris - Power
Gilbee - West - McMahon
Murphy - McDougall - Cooney
Higgins - Johnson - Eagleton
Darcy - Cross - Boyd

Int - Street - Giansiracusa - Faulkner - Addison

Thoughts?

firstdogonthemoon
15-04-2007, 04:40 PM
McMahon#23, there are some excellent ideas but specifically which players would you drop to make room for guys like Faulkner that you nominated?I'm also assuming that Williams is not fit enough yet and Hahn will not be ready for a couple of weeks.

First up I would give Minson a spell and replace him with McDougall. I would then use McDougall as a back-up key defender alongside of Harris and Wight if needed.
This would leave Street and Darcy to tackle the Tigers ruckman which may include Simmonds. McDougall may support them if needed.

I would then look to bring in Cameron Faulkner and give Farren Ray a spell. Ray had an injury free pre-season but has come up short on delivery with his skills and decision making causing us concerns.

I like the idea of moving McMahon up the ground and Gilbee needs a run on the wing as well. Morris who is down on form becomes a defensive stopper on the oppositions best small forward. I tempted to use Cooney as a defender so that he can be more creative. He could be swapped with Power.

This is how I would structure the team for the game against the Tigers
Morris - Hargrave - Wight
Griffen - Harris - Power
Gilbee - West - McMahon
Murphy - McDougall - Cooney
Higgins - Johnson - Eagleton
Darcy - Cross - Boyd

Int - Street - Giansiracusa - Faulkner - Addison

Thoughts?

I dont know about football, but I know what I like. And I dont like griff at the moment. I mean I love him to bits but where is he? I think the idea of bringing Cam in is a good one, which just goes to show how worried I am. Although dropping griff for cam is probably a bit strong.

We just seem to have a lot of blokes "out of form" whatever that is.

We just arent hard enough. Who are the hard guys? Put them in.

Murph will come good, Darc is a bit of a thoroughbred for mine, he will excel if everything is going well, but it seems others have to do the hard work. I can live with that if we are winning.

Street is gone, its over. You read it here first. He is out of form, and unless he has an ENORMOUS turn around we can say goodbye and thanks for all the fish. Like it or not, Minson is the future.

Happy to be proved wrong.

The alarm bells are ringing, however "This is a test. This is a test." Unless, we dont crush Richmond, and I mean we really have to kill them, the bells will keep ringing. If we lose to richmond, well I cant even think about it.

mackem
15-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I would like to see the resting ruckman up in the forward line especially when a wall of opposition players happen around the half forward line so we can kick it high and long and hopefully they can either mark it or bring it to ground and hopefully a crumber will kick a goal.

As proved in the last 2 weeks if you stop our run and we have a small forward line then you can stop us scoring.

What annoys me is if there is 2 or more on Johnno then where are our unmarked players.

At present we don't seem to have any backup plan especially since we don't have Granty playing.

LostDoggy
15-04-2007, 08:12 PM
At the moment we are the turnover kings, we just seem to cough the ball up with poor disposal and decision making

Players need to go back to basics eg
-don't handball to a player standing still
-kick the ball to your teams advantage
-don't just slide on in to a contest try to stay on your feet
-stop going sideways at every opportunity
-create more one on ones in the forward line

I would drop Street, apart from the hit outs he offers nothing, bring in McDougal or Skipper

Bring back Robbins, he gives us another option besides Johnno

GVGjr
15-04-2007, 08:19 PM
At the moment we are the turnover kings, we just seem to cough the ball up with poor disposal and decision making

Players need to go back to basics eg
-don't handball to a player standing still
-kick the ball to your teams advantage
-don't just slide on in to a contest try to stay on your feet
-stop going sideways at every opportunity
-create more one on ones in the forward line

I would drop Street, apart from the hit outs he offers nothing, bring in McDougal or Skipper

Bring back Robbins, he gives us another option besides Johnno

TR, would you have Minson ahead of Street? I don't mind the idea of bringing back Skipper and McDougall.

By the way, players falling over as consistently as we have been doing ius a real concern. Staying in a contest is one of the first things you learn as a young up and coming footballer.

LostDoggy
15-04-2007, 08:28 PM
I know Wil has not been playing well (he is not alone) but I think he has more upside than Street. However I wish he would forget about trying to hurt the opposition at every opportunity with his knees, elbows etc and just concentrate on getting the ball.

GVGjr
15-04-2007, 09:02 PM
I know Wil has not been playing well (he is not alone) but I think he has more upside than Street. However I wish he would forget about trying to hurt the opposition at every opportunity with his knees, elbows etc and just concentrate on getting the ball.

Given we need to start and get back on the winners board I'm not sure why Minson is worth persevering with at the moment. He might have more upside that Street but he is in very poor form. Hopefully he can turn it around.

LostDoggy
15-04-2007, 09:31 PM
I like to see Wight tried out at CHF.
He has got great athleticism and is courageous. He will lead up the ground.

This all depends on if the McDougall move doesn't work out(which I can't see at the moment happening) and Williams takes over at CHB.

LostDoggy
16-04-2007, 08:34 AM
How about moving Harris to the forward line?

aker39
16-04-2007, 08:54 AM

They have to try something with him.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure about Wight at CHF. He could play a sweeping, leading role but I don't think he's really ready in body size for as much contested work he'd need to do playing as a full time CHF. I think McDougall is the man for the job, he just needs to play well and get his confidence up. I think we weren't using him that well and he seemed a bit lost on the field. I'd like him to start from about 30m out and just lead up to about 60-70m and leave space behind him. He's athletic and agile, and not too bad on the lead - better than he is in a contested situation I feel.

Hargrave is the one I'd be looking at moving forward for patches, say like Hunter does at WC. Harris is too important to our structure and leadership down back. Having someone like Williams to play down back with him would be awesome.

What do people think are the realistic chances of Williams to play this week? I get a feeling we could see him out there as early as this weekend.

Twodogs
16-04-2007, 10:18 AM
What do people think are the realistic chances of Williams to play this week? I get a feeling we could see him out there as early as this weekend.

While it wouldnt suprise me I really hope we dont do it.

1/ Hes not ready yet.

2/ I honestly cant see how bringing him in would address any of our defincies.

LostDoggy
16-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure about Wight at CHF. He could play a sweeping, leading role but I don't think he's really ready in body size for as much contested work he'd need to do playing as a full time CHF. I think McDougall is the man for the job, he just needs to play well and get his confidence up. I think we weren't using him that well and he seemed a bit lost on the field. I'd like him to start from about 30m out and just lead up to about 60-70m and leave space behind him. He's athletic and agile, and not too bad on the lead - better than he is in a contested situation I feel.
I saw McDougall yesterday and he struggled with that role at Werribee. He just doesn't have the intensity required. McDougall and Wight are about the same in a contested mark situation. OK Wight mightn't be as strong but I have no doubt will put 100% time and time again while it looks like sometimes McDougall's heart isn't in it.

Hargrave is the one I'd be looking at moving forward for patches, say like Hunter does at WC. Harris is too important to our structure and leadership down back. Having someone like Williams to play down back with him would be awesome.
Hargrave also seem to lack intensity at times. He is no where near as bad as McDougall but I don't think he could dominate a game from HF. Yes he could pinch hit there but it only as a surprise tactic.

He is a chance. If they drop a tall and decide not to go with McDougall, Skipper or Baird.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Good point about intensity in regards to McDougall / Wight, and I also agree to a certain extent about their body sizes not being too much different, although McDougall obviously has a few more years in the system, they both seem as though that aren't really cut out for big body on body opponents.

Could be an interesting move with Wight, the more I think about it, the more I like it. Would Darcy be able to plug a hole in the backline and allow Wight to go forwards? McDougall and Skipper don't really get me too excited as backmen. It's certainly seeming that in a month at the most will have another tall backman to add too, which could also help Wight in a move forward. Hmmm.

LostDoggy
16-04-2007, 12:09 PM
One thing I didn't mention is its a lot harder to turn towards your goal than it is to face it.
Some players just can't do it eg Glen Jakovich.

Not sure if Wight has it.

Bulldog Revolution
17-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Loads of interesting ideas: Really we've played like a team expecting it to happen, instead of going out and making it happen. I actually dont think we need to change that much except our mindset.

Rucks - I'd keep Minson in the team, I know he hasn't been good the past two weeks, he was ridiculously bad against Adelaide, and only marginally better against the Saints, but I thought he was pretty good first up against Geelong. However I am frustrated in that he does not appear to be focussing enough on the ball at the centre bounces. I rate Street and believe rebuilding Darcys career is worthwhile.

I dont think McDougall has shown enough form to warrant re-selection just yet - , Ernie Sigleys, Hargraves/McDougall comparison is interesting, perhaps maybe its that they are just two relaxed western australian cats but I am not so sure its intensity issue - some guys are intense and up for it, but just dont look it.

I certainly think over the past two weeks McMahon could have spent more time on the ball and we erred by not getting him in there quicker, particularly against Adelaide - he looks in the type of form that it does not matter where you put him, he will find the ball.

I personally like Cooney on the ball and floating forward, not sure how much he has played in the centre square of recent, but also not sure how his OP is travelling, adn that may need to be managed

Farren Ray is out of touch and needs a spell with Werribee, my guess is that Matty Robbins deserves an opportunity - hes a guy that gives it everything. But I also would not be disappointed to see Cam Faulkner given a shot, and Travis Baird might be a useful option also.

southerncross
17-04-2007, 06:25 PM

He is more than capable of playing as a forward and a defender although I think he is better value on a more consistent basis as a defender. Currently we probably cannot afford to move him away from the back line. Perhaps if/when Williams is ready it might create some opportunities to move Harris.