PDA

View Full Version : Williams in line for recall

The Coon Dog
13-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Brent Diamond | September 13, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Tom Williams could be a surprise recall to add some height to the Western Bulldogs' back line against the power of St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke on Friday night after a strong showing for Williamstown yesterday.

And forward Josh Hill, dropped for Friday night's semi-final, says he is hopeful of a return despite not producing his best performance in the win.

Hill, who has played every senior match this season, except for the semi-final, said: "You never know. It's a tough decision by the coaches, but we'll just have to see. It was one of my goals at the start of the season to play every game, but it's pretty disappointing not to be playing in finals."

Article in full... (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/williams-in-line-for-recall/2009/09/12/1252519681472.html)

GVGjr
13-09-2009, 06:56 AM
He did enough yesterday to suggest that he is physically ready to play next week if Eade believes he needs him. The harder question revolves around who would he replace.

Desipura
13-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Should play for mine, we need to give Morris a smaller opponent. Dont forget Saints like to push their ruckman forward at times as well.

AndrewP6
13-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Normally I'd say yes, but Callan did well on Friday, and is a real hard nut. Question mark for me is William's obvious physical battles, and how he would hold up in a do-or-die PF...

LostDoggy
13-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Roll the dice & bring him in, otherwise we are stuffed.

cede nullis
13-09-2009, 06:53 PM
we have to give Morris support and last time he was way too small in marking contests. I cant see any other option than to play Williams

The Coon Dog
13-09-2009, 07:22 PM
we have to give Morris support and last time he was way too small in marking contests. I cant see any other option than to play Williams

I'm inclined to agree.

I just feel Tom has to play.

Who then misses?

Tim Callan or Scott Welsh???

Rocco Jones
13-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Tim Callan or Scott Welsh???

I think it has to be one of those two. If Williams is to come in, I would definitely go with Welsh.

LostDoggy
14-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Williams will play but I don't think its the right move... he doesn't read the play and is always flat footed

bulldogtragic
14-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Welsh isn't playing as a forward, so why have him in. He is only servicable down back, so bring in Williams allowing Morris, Shaggy and Callan the benefit of right sized opponents. Then use Gilbee and/or Harbrow further up the ground in a more attacking role. Williams value add is not simply his attributes alone, it's the balance he brings with several forward gorillas.

The Coon Dog
15-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Williams looking like a Bulldogs wildcard

Samantha Lane | September 15, 2009

TOM WILLIAMS has emerged as the Western Bulldogs' finals wildcard courtesy of a timely weekend VFL performance that has put the injury-plagued high draft pick in line to make his September debut this Friday night.

Grounded by a foot injury just weeks ago, Williams was yesterday described as a ''shining light'' in the Williamstown side that was upset by Collingwood in Saturday's VFL semi-final.

The 196-centimetre, 101-kilogram key position player was used in defence and got through about 75 per cent of the VFL match.

Article in full... (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/williams-looking-like-a-bulldogs-wildcard/2009/09/14/1252780269362.html)

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 07:37 AM
"The 14 senior outings Williams has already had this year is a personal record after he played 13 games in his debut season and managed just six last year due to leg and shoulder ailments."

Impressive.

It will be a roll of the dice to play him but who else can match St Nick, Morris has struggled, Everritt longshot?

Dry Rot
15-09-2009, 08:55 AM
It will be a roll of the dice to play him but who else can match St Nick, Morris has struggled, Everritt longshot?

Agreed on roll of the dice. It's Morris vs an underdone inexperienced taller defender. I'm just uneasy bringing in an underdone player, whatever the height and size, to play in a PF. And then play them on the best CHF in the comp.

GVGjr
15-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Agreed on roll of the dice. It's Morris vs an underdone inexperienced taller defender. I'm just uneasy bringing in an underdone player, whatever the height and size, to play in a PF. And then play them on the best CHF in the comp.

If he is training well I would consider him because when the heat was on against Buddy last year Morris came up well short. I would consider putting Williams on Kosi and Lake on Riewoldt. Morris then becomes the plan B option.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2009, 06:10 PM
If he is training well I would consider him because when the heat was on against Buddy last year Morris came up well short. I would consider putting Williams on Kosi and Lake on Riewoldt. Morris then becomes the plan B option.

At the very least, Williams gives us flexibility. If we only go in with Lake and Morris as our KPD's and St. Kilda get on top of us, we're going to be climbing up a never ending hill. At least with Lake, Morris and Williams - we can rotate these three on their two. Gardiner will probably spend time up forward too. I think he has to come in, Welsh can't fill the role at either end of the ground.

strebla
15-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Is Bouman the x-factor in all of this why else was he at training today if he is not in consideration!!!
cue Comrade