PDA

View Full Version : Ump call spot on

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Wasn't expecting anything else from the AFL.

Jackie Epstein
Herald Sun, September 20, 2009

THE AFL has approved the controversial free kick awarded to Nick Riewoldt at the start of the third quarter of Friday night's preliminary final.

Bulldog Brian Lake was penalised for bumping Riewoldt and it gifted the Saint a goal before the ball was bounced to start the term.

"The view of the umpiring department is that the Lake-Riewoldt free kick was a correct decision," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said yesterday.

"Brian Lake went specifically off his line to knock Riewoldt to the ground. Play hadn't started. The ball was obviously nowhere near the area and a player can't do that to another player, where he specifically goes and knocks him over.

"All clubs were notified specifically about this version of contact as being prohibited.

"It was late in the home-and-away season that all clubs were written to, so it is viewed as a correct and warranted free kick."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said he would seek clarification from umpire department chiefs Rowan Sawers and Jeff Gieschen.

Former Dogs champion Doug Hawkins said it was a disgraceful decision.

"No way, no way," Hawkins said. "I know our game's changed from when I played, but that's not a free kick back in 1920 and it's not a free kick in 2009.

"It pulled the boys up a bit. But when Johnno (Brad Johnson) kicked that first goal of the last quarter I thought we were home. I thought here we go, you beauty, we're into our third Grand Final. It is shattering and we're not there in that last Saturday of September and that's what footy's all about."

Hawk champion Dermott Brereton said the free kick awarded by Shane McInerney wasn't in the spirit of the game.

"If you're an umpire, that is defendable to say it's the right decision," he said yesterday.

"Because it's behind play, it's away from the ball, it had nothing to do with play. Does that make it right in the way we've played the game? I would say no. And if you wanted to take the consistency angle, there was no difference between the contact made by Lake to Riewoldt and (Justin) Koschitzke to Lake straight after."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ump-call-spot-on/story-e6frf9jf-1225777058173

Topdog
20-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Spot on from Dermie.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2009, 10:30 AM
AFL just lost it's last semblence of respectibility and credibility.

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Of course those AFL wankers are gonna stick by one of their own, the word "wrong" isn't on heavy rotation there. It's disgraceful they approved of that, when, as Dermie said, the same thing was done by Kosi to Lake... and the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS 100 TIMES A GAME, AND EVERY OPENING BOUNCE, AND DOESN'T GET PAID!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, I'm really riled at this one)

donnan
20-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Of Course!! Of Course...the moment it happened you knew the AFL would back them in...SOFT, SOFT, SOFT...but technically there...in the spirit of the game? No.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 12:15 PM
What i find funny, is it happened last night before the game even started.

I think it was Scarlett who got knocked down, yet nothing called.

ratsmac
20-09-2009, 01:00 PM
That just makes me sick to the stomach.

mjp
20-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Dermott is right though - the umpiring department can easily defend the free-kick. I didn't like it, but Lake would have known that there was the potential a kick would be paid if Riewoldt went to ground. I really dont understand why he did it - it was soft and it was petty and it was marginal...doesn't mean there wasn't a kick there 'under the rules'.

I was more upset with the non-awarding of the ruck free-kick to Hudson with 2 mins to go...they had put the whistles away for the most important stage of the game. Next week they wont pay a thing.

BulldogBelle
20-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Was the AFL really going to say they should not have paid it...........

Max469
20-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Next week they wont pay a thing.

Cause they wont - who are they going to choose from - they have both been the protected species of the season - it would confuse them if they have to pay a free.

Remi Moses
20-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Of course those AFL wankers are gonna stick by one of their own, the word "wrong" isn't on heavy rotation there. It's disgraceful they approved of that, when, as Dermie said, the same thing was done by Kosi to Lake... and the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS 100 TIMES A GAME, AND EVERY OPENING BOUNCE, AND DOESN'T GET PAID!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, I'm really riled at this one)

Couldn't agree more. You'll see this 1000 times again and not get paid. Yet you can slam a players head into the turf and no free kick is even played

BulldogBelle
20-09-2009, 07:34 PM
The AFL and the umpires are NEVER going to admit that they were wrong

No one will remember that free kick in 1 years time, but they will remember who played in the 2009 Grand Final

Hope this makes our boys twice as determined, and twice as angry next season

AndrewP6
20-09-2009, 07:40 PM
No one will remember that free kick in 1 years time, but they will remember who played in the 2009 Grand Final

I bloody will... and I'm tipping a few other WOOFers will too..

KT31
20-09-2009, 09:04 PM
The AFL and the umpires are NEVER going to admit that they were wrong

Hope this makes our boys twice as determined, and twice as angry next season

How so ?
Most of us still remember the bad decision by the goal umpire in the "97 prelim.

LostDoggy
20-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Dermott is right though - the umpiring department can easily defend the free-kick. I didn't like it, but Lake would have known that there was the potential a kick would be paid if Riewoldt went to ground. I really dont understand why he did it - it was soft and it was petty and it was marginal...doesn't mean there wasn't a kick there 'under the rules'.

I was more upset with the non-awarding of the ruck free-kick to Hudson with 2 mins to go...they had put the whistles away for the most important stage of the game. Next week they wont pay a thing.

Riewoldt should play soccer, the soft sook. Most players wouldn't have fallen down, thus no free. You shouldn't get a free kick because you are a soft shit.

Topdog
21-09-2009, 11:33 AM
How so ?
Most of us still remember the bad decision by the goal umpire in the "97 prelim.

Outside of the Bulldogs is what he meant.

bornadog
21-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Nick took a dive, soft as butter. Common sense must prevail by the AFL and umpires. Now we have a situation that you can 't bump a player shoulder to shoulder away from the ball, what a joke. Happens at every single stoppage, at ball ups etc during the game.

Mantis
21-09-2009, 12:26 PM
My biggest problem with this decision was that it was reported that the umpire said something like 'If you push him over again I will pay a free kick'.

I would have hoped that umpires pay decisions on each individual event or action rather than take an accumulative approach.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 12:35 PM
My biggest problem with this decision was that it was reported that the umpire said something like 'If you push him over again I will pay a free kick'.

I would have hoped that umpires pay decisions on each individual event or action rather than take an accumulative approach.
Aker's words were (Dale was told in front of Rooey) "If you bump him AND he falls over, i will pay a free kick". Thus Rooey knew taking a dive would qualify for the free kick. Hence why Lake didn't bump him hard and Rooey dived. Poor umpiring which created the situation.I don't blame Rooey, I blame a guy who should be dumped from the umpiring panel for a very poor performance.

bornadog
21-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Aker's words were (Dale was told in front of Rooey) "If you bump him AND he falls over, i will pay a free kick". Thus Rooey knew taking a dive would qualify for the free kick. Hence why Lake didn't bump him hard and Rooey dived. Poor umpiring which created the situation.I don't blame Rooey, I blame a guy who should be dumped from the umpiring panel for a very poor performance.

Diving in any sports is counted as cheating

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Diving in any sports is counted as cheating
I don't disagree, but if i get to (metaphorically) shot one person, i shot the umpire for letting Roo know to dive for a free.

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Agreed, since when has this been the approach? To me its a new rule or rule change.

alwaysadog
21-09-2009, 05:36 PM
the word "wrong" isn't on heavy rotation there

What's this rotation? As far as "the fraternity" are concerned, we "the fraternity" are right and they (and they know who they are) are wrong. The notion of rotating that concept is unthinkable.

Nevertheless when they jump so quickly to the defence about what was at best 50/50 we all know, that they know, it was very very sus.

Nudge, nudge, wink wink.

yeah_sampson
21-09-2009, 07:00 PM
AFL just lost it's last semblence of respectibility and credibility.

Did it ever even have that Much anyway?? They burn us all the time, Prelim or not!
The game against Collingwood, I think round 15, Harry O'brien was holding jumpers all day and nothing was ever called, yet we were being called for next to nothing.

I could see it from Level 3.

Umps are NERDS that never got a game in Juniors and are trying to now have an impact in AFL, and they certainly did on Friday Night.

Who I feel sorry for most was the pleasant "Nanna" that I sat next to all night who actually thought that she may see us win a GF.

bulldogtragic
21-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Did it ever even have that Much anyway?? They burn us all the time, Prelim or not!
The game against Collingwood, I think round 15, Harry O'brien was holding jumpers all day and nothing was ever called, yet we were being called for next to nothing.

I could see it from Level 3.

Umps are NERDS that never got a game in Juniors and are trying to now have an impact in AFL, and they certainly did on Friday Night.

Who I feel sorry for most was the pleasant "Nanna" that I sat next to all night who actually thought that she may see us win a GF.
I understand your frustration, but i used to umpire and coached local junior umpires. Bit harsh to label everyone like that, especialy since this forum has it's fair share of umpires. Play the ball, not the man. Some of their decisions were very, very bad which were costly. I await to see how gets the nod for the GF this week.

AndrewP6
21-09-2009, 09:37 PM

ME TOO! Seriously, I was next to this lovely "older" lady, who I reckon saw both of the Bulldogs previous GF efforts...and perhaps the Bulldogs first ever game (Sorry, couldn't resist!), during the 4th qtr I didn't want to look at her, for fear that she'd fall off the perch (sorry again!)

AndrewP6
21-09-2009, 09:40 PM
I await to see how gets the nod for the GF this week.

I heard a hot tip - after the PF game reviews, they've given the gig to Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli, Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano....

(Apologies to fans of the said entertainers... they're not actually going to be there)

LostDoggy
21-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I heard a hot tip - after the PF game reviews, they've given the gig to Stevie Wonder, Andrea Bocelli, Ray Charles and Jose Feliciano....

(Apologies to fans of the said entertainers... they're not actually going to be there)

It will be good pre-game entertainment.

strebla
22-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Well he never got the GF gig but it "wasn't" based on that free kick yeah ok whatever Chamberlain was a bit stiff though.

yeah_sampson
22-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I understand your frustration, but i used to umpire and coached local junior umpires. Bit harsh to label everyone like that, especialy since this forum has it's fair share of umpires. Play the ball, not the man. Some of their decisions were very, very bad which were costly. I await to see how gets the nod for the GF this week.

Sorry Pal! Heat of the moment!!!

hahaha!!!

Maybe Shane McInerney & the other two were geeks that never made the cut!!

alwaysadog
23-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Has any one heard the Humpers whatever spot on SEN this evening? For a 100% umpire supporter, and a former whistle blower, to give up on every key issue including St Nick staging suggests that those who cried foul weren't far off the mark.

Max469
23-09-2009, 10:55 PM
One of guys I work with is an ex AFL player and St Kilda fan, said that even though we need that tall forward, we should be upset with the way the game panned out.

He said we were robbed.