PDA

View Full Version : One-year deal for Johnson

Cyberdoggie
07-10-2009, 02:08 PM
By Jennifer Witham
1:37 PM Wed 07 October, 2009
WESTERN Bulldogs captain Brad Johnson will be offered a one-year deal to play on in 2010, however, the fate of Jason Akermanis and Nathan Eagleton remains undecided.
Johnson, 33, is the only one of the veterans to have had his future confirmed before the end of the AFL exchange period.
He will be presented with the new contract once the club completes its list changes this week.

"It's fair to say Johnno will be offered a contract, sooner rather than later I would say, following today's work [in re-signing Brian Lake]," football operations manager James Fantasia told afl.com.au on Wednesday.

"There are still things that need to be ticked off. The rule of thumb is that you only offer one-year contracts once you get past 30, so that's what we're pitching.

"There's no actual timeframe to it, apart from having list lodgement completed before October 31. So we have time up our sleeve, but we'd like to get it finalised sooner rather than later."

Akermanis, 32, and Eagleton, 30, have told the club they wish to play on next year.

Fantasia said both players would have to wait until the end of this week before official word on their futures.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/85818/default.aspx)

Go_Dogs
07-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Great news, can't help but smile.

Will be interesting to see what happens with both Akermanis and Eagleton now.

Desipura
07-10-2009, 02:31 PM
So basically that is it for us in regards to trading unless an offer comes through for one of our soon to be delisted players.
Looks most likely that Aker & Eagle will stay unless something out of left field happens between now and 2.00pm Friday.

Quote from Fantasia:
"There are still things that need to be ticked off. The rule of thumb is that you only offer one-year contracts once you get past 30, so that's what we're pitching".

What the.........how about Barry Hall?

neodog
07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I wonder if he will still retain his Captaincy?

Throughandthrough
07-10-2009, 02:40 PM
My gut is that Eagle will get the DCM and Acka will get 1 more year.

Throughandthrough
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I hope so (for both)

Hotdog60
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
How many player can the club have on the veterans list?

Desipura
07-10-2009, 03:10 PM
How many player can the club have on the veterans list?
Your answer lies in the veterans list post I sent about a month ago.

ledge
07-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Quote from Fantasia:
"There are still things that need to be ticked off. The rule of thumb is that you only offer one-year contracts once you get past 30, so that's what we're pitching".

Sometimes the mouth opens before the brain kicks in.

Topdog
07-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Quote from Fantasia:

It's only a rule of thumb not something that must be adhered to in every single contract discussion.

Desipura
07-10-2009, 03:32 PM
It's only a rule of thumb not something that must be adhered to in every single contract discussion.
ahh the fine print

ledge
07-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Well Johnnos reply would be I am captain , played here for years have still got what it takes.

Personally Johnno I think has a way better arguement for 2 years than Barry.

Rule of thumb for a club legend who is still up with the rest but not for an outsider who has a shaky past?

Sometimes off the cuff remarks like this could be a bit of an insult to others.

LostDoggy
07-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Well Johnnos reply would be I am captain , played here for years have still got what it takes.

Personally Johnno I think has a way better arguement for 2 years than Barry.

Rule of thumb for a club legend who is still up with the rest but not for an outsider who has a shaky past?

Sometimes off the cuff remarks like this could be a bit of an insult to others.

Yea, I agree, I think it's a shame that Fantasia's remark reflects on the Barry Hall deal. I'm sure Johnno has a thick skin (I hope so) but it was a pretty dumb thing to say the day after the Hall deal was done;)

AndrewP6
07-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Happy days...the bit about the over-30s did sound a bit weird, given they just got the deal done for Bazza

alwaysadog
07-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Quote from Fantasia:

Sometimes the mouth opens before the brain kicks in.

Not the first in the recent past either.