PDA

View Full Version : What Changes Round 9

bornadog
21-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Only doubtful player is probably McMahon, unless he has recovered. Murphy is still 2 weeks away. If McMahon is ok, I am predicting no changes.

Go_Dogs
22-05-2007, 11:17 AM
If McMahon misses, in comes either Power or Faulkner.

Dry Rot
22-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Which is more deserving, and appropriate?

Mantis
22-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Which is more deserving, and appropriate?

Depends which areas we need to focus on:

Power - if Goodes or O'Keefe are on top Sam could play on either of these 2.

Faulkner - could give us a bit of hardness in the centre if Sydney are getting on top of the clearances.

Bulldog Revolution
22-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Whilst the boy did not do anything wrong I think Robbins has to come in for Harbrow to face Sydney

Robbins was fantastic at the SCG last year

Whilst I didn't see the NAB cup, the suggestion was that McDougall ran with Goodes in it. Would he be fit enough? or considered?

Who might go to Goodes?

Mantis
22-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Whilst the boy did not do anything wrong I think Robbins has to come in for Harbrow to face Sydney

Robbins was fantastic at the SCG last year

We are not the same team as last year and do not rely on Robbins to kick goals for us like we did then..

Bulldog Revolution
22-05-2007, 09:30 PM
We are not the same team as last year and do not rely on Robbins to kick goals for us like we did then..

I know but I am finding it very hard to let go of Robbins.

I love the way he goes about it. He is a good lead, a very good kick for goal, converts at a high percentage, chases, tackles and pressures the opposition, he's fast, he has a good leap and is capable of a hanger. And he physically is very strong for his size so hes hard to matchup.

I like his selfless team play - I think he would have kicked 55 last year if he hadn't handballed so many off to teammates. If you watch the 2006 highlights DVD and its full of him handballing to Johnson and others running into the open goal etc.

Ok I've said my bit with respect to Robbo - I know things change but I believe this guy is a very good senior AFL player, and find it hard to believe he wont get picked shortly.

bornadog
23-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I know but I am finding it very hard to let go of Robbins.

I love the way he goes about it. He is a good lead, a very good kick for goal, converts at a high percentage, chases, tackles and pressures the opposition, he's fast, he has a good leap and is capable of a hanger. And he physically is very strong for his size so hes hard to matchup.

I like his selfless team play - I think he would have kicked 55 last year if he hadn't handballed so many off to teammates. If you watch the 2006 highlights DVD and its full of him handballing to Johnson and others running into the open goal etc.

Ok I've said my bit with respect to Robbo - I know things change but I believe this guy is a very good senior AFL player, and find it hard to believe he wont get picked shortly.

I am also a big fan, hopefully he will be back soon.

Mantis
23-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I am also a big fan, hopefully he will be back soon.

I am struggling to understand your's and BR's logic here. Taking away the fact that your both big fans of Robbins what will he bring to our side that we dont already have? I just dont see how he can improve the side when we have Johnson, Aker, Gia, Higgins and Cooney all playing very well as small forwards/ onballers.

bornadog
23-05-2007, 12:48 PM
I am struggling to understand your's and BR's logic here. Taking away the fact that your both big fans of Robbins what will he bring to our side that we dont already have? I just dont see how he can improve the side when we have Johnson, Aker, Gia, Higgins and Cooney all playing very well as small forwards/ onballers.

Your right Mantis, I am struggling to find someone to drop. the only thought I had was Cooney to take Eagletons role, Eagles to be dropped and Robbins goes forward. In any case, if there are any injuries we do have players that can come in.

Mantis
23-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Your right Mantis, I am struggling to find someone to drop. the only thought I had was Cooney to take Eagletons role, Eagles to be dropped and Robbins goes forward. In any case, if there are any injuries we do have players that can come in.

I agree that Robbins is a good depth player, but dont agree with your suggestion in dropping Eagleton to bring him in. Cooney it seems doesn't have the fitness base, due to his interupte pre-season with OP to spend long periods in the midfield. He is only being used in bursts in the middle of the ground to good effect over the past 2 weeks. Up forward he has been very good, is a good lead and mark, an excellent finisher and strong tackler, sounds a bit like Robbins in the past, but he also has the added bonus of his midfield work.

With the addition of Aker and Harbrow to our team as well as the return from injury of Darcy, Hahn, Higgins and Murphy there were always going to changes to our forwardline this year, Robbins is a very solid AFL player, but I think all of these guys offer more in a number of areas than he does.

GVGjr
23-05-2007, 01:52 PM
I'd consider dropping Harbrow for Robbins so that Gia can spend more time in the middle allowing Robbins to play in the FP.

The one thing that we need to consider with the Swans is that we need a big defensive effort from the forwards to limit the run and drive the Swans normally get from their defence. Robbins offers us that option

We could also consider a tall like Williams for Harbrow if we think we need additional talls to cover the likes of Goodes

Mantis
23-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Just read on the WB website that McMahon wont play this week.. Hope Faulkner gets a run, deserves his chance.

GVGjr
23-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Just read on the WB website that McMahon wont play this week.. Hope Faulkner gets a run, deserves his chance.

Good call. He's been in good form for a number of weeks.

Bulldog Revolution
23-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I agree that Robbins is a good depth player, but dont agree with your suggestion in dropping Eagleton to bring him in. Cooney it seems doesn't have the fitness base, due to his interupte pre-season with OP to spend long periods in the midfield. He is only being used in bursts in the middle of the ground to good effect over the past 2 weeks. Up forward he has been very good, is a good lead and mark, an excellent finisher and strong tackler, sounds a bit like Robbins in the past, but he also has the added bonus of his midfield work.

With the addition of Aker and Harbrow to our team as well as the return from injury of Darcy, Hahn, Higgins and Murphy there were always going to changes to our forwardline this year, Robbins is a very solid AFL player, but I think all of these guys offer more in a number of areas than he does.

You are probably right Mantis that Robbo is not the right player on balance to bring into the team

But I wonder with GVGjr if Harbrow will apply enough defensive pressure this week. But I support the continued grooming of him and he is certainly lively.

Manuka could be a Cam Faulkner game if McMahon is unable to go given Faulkner kicked 3there against the Kangas a few years a go.

dog town
23-05-2007, 05:24 PM
You are probably right Mantis that Robbo is not the right player on balance to bring into the team

But I wonder with GVGjr if Harbrow will apply enough defensive pressure this week. But I support the continued grooming of him and he is certainly lively.

Manuka could be a Cam Faulkner game if McMahon is unable to go given Faulkner kicked 3there against the Kangas a few years a go.
I think Robbins could be of value in this game because he does make his opponent accountable and he is a dangerous goal kicker but I dont see his defensive pressure as a reason he should come in. I reckon you will find the reason he has lost his spot is not because Rocket doesn't think he kicks enough goals but because his defensive pressure has not been their for quite some time. Of the 27 players to play in our first 22 this season he is ranked 27th for tackles per game. Eade knows he can kick goals and he has proven it time and again but he has lost his ability or desire to apply heavy defensive pressure. He needs to get it back not just for his sake but for the teams because he is one of our few guys who can not only apply defensive pressure but do it with alot of speed and strength. I would like nothing more than to see one of his diving smothers inside our attacking 50 or a chase down from behind but sadly for him its been quite a long time between drinks.

I am hoping playing at Werribee has given him a bit of a jump start and he will now begin putting in his old defensive efforts to go with his goal kicking.

Go_Dogs
23-05-2007, 08:16 PM
I suspect either Power or Robbins will most likely get the call up, although I hope it's Faulkner.

bornadog
24-05-2007, 08:53 AM
According to the Hun there could be a few more players out this week. Griffen looks like he is out and Johnno, Darcy and Wight all struggling with different ailements.

Looks like if they are all out then Robbins, Minson, Faulkner and maybe Williams could come in.

southerncross
24-05-2007, 08:58 AM
According to the Hun there could be a few more players out this week. Griffen looks like he is out and Johnno, Darcy and Wight all struggling with different ailements.

Looks like if they are all out then Robbins, Minson, Faulkner and maybe Williams could come in.

It's good that we have depth. Williams could be very useful as an extra tall defender. I wonder if Everitt might be in the mix?

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Outs (certainties): McMahon, Griffen
Outs (rumoured): Darcy, Johnson and Wight

Ins (speculatives): Power to replace Griffen.
Minson if Darcy does not come up.
Williams a possibility for Wight.
Faulkner for McMahon?
If Johnson is out then you would think Robbins would come in for him.

Mantis
24-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Outs (certainties): McMahon, Griffen
Outs (rumoured): Darcy, Johnson and Wight

Ins (speculatives): Power to replace Griffen.
Minson if Darcy does not come up.
Williams a possibility for Wight.
Faulkner for McMahon?
If Johnson is out then you would think Robbins would come in for him.

Think your spot on there. We have to swap like for like. No use bring in Robbins for McMahon as they play totally different roles.

Dry Rot
24-05-2007, 05:55 PM
If Johnno and Darcy are out, should we take a gamble on McDougall if he's fit?

We need a tall target to kick to over the swan's midfield flood.

Dry Rot
24-05-2007, 06:10 PM
If Johnno and Darcy are out, should we take a gamble on McDougall if he's fit?

We need a tall target to kick to over the swan's midfield flood.

Just reading the team list on another site - got this one right. :)

Go_Dogs
24-05-2007, 07:50 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Sam Power, Brian Harris, Dale Morris
HB: Lindsay Gilbee, Cameron Wight, Ryan Hargrave
C: Nathan Eagleton, Scott West, Jason Akermanis
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Brad Johnson, Adam Cooney
F: Andrew McDougall, Luke Darcy, Shaun Higgins
FOLL: Peter Street, Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd
I/C (from): Dylan Addison, Cameron Faulkner, Mitch Hahn, Jarrod Harbrow, Will Minson, Farren Ray, Matthew Robbins

Go_Dogs
24-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Going to be interesting to see who actually plays from that list.

southerncross
24-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Going to be interesting to see who actually plays from that list.

I'll say. McDougall and Power are already into the starting line-up so appear to be safe. Must be a huge question mark on Johnson and Darcy.
From the interchange bench, Hahn, Addison and Ray should be in the 22.

bornadog
24-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Wight is also a doubtful starter even thou he is named, which means Minson would come in.

Dry Rot
24-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Does McDougall's selection flag any change of tactics by Eade or merely that Johnno and/or Darcy won't play?

Bulldog Revolution
24-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Does McDougall's selection flag any change of tactics by Eade or merely that Johnno and/or Darcy won't play?

I was thinking he might cover Wight as an option at both ends

Dry Rot
24-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Either way, it's a great chance for McDougall to step up to the plate - hope he gets a run at FF.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Either way, it's a great chance for McDougall to step up to the plate - hope he gets a run at FF.

Agreed - I dont know that we were expecting 22 brilliant games from him this season, but a 17 posession, 3 goal cameo would do nicely on the weekend

Mantis
25-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Agreed - I dont know that we were expecting 22 brilliant games from him this season, but a 17 posession, 3 goal cameo would do nicely on the weekend

IIRC he played a pretty good game against Sydney in the NAB cup match this season. Sydney have a fairly short backline, quite similiar to us, playing McDougall may help to expose this.

Go_Dogs
25-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Yep, with Roberts-Thomson out they certainly are one tall defender short, and perhaps we'll play 2 tall forwards in to try and upset their balance a bit.

southerncross
25-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Yep, with Roberts-Thomson out they certainly are one tall defender short, and perhaps we'll play 2 tall forwards in to try and upset their balance a bit.

Rather than crowd around the ball ups etc which is a real Sydney strength, I like the idea of sending players forward so that we drag them away. It worked very well for the Kangas and I'm sure it's something that we can exploit.

bornadog
25-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Final Team

WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Power, Harris, Morris
HB: Gilbee, Wight, Hargrave
C: Eagleton, S.West, Akermanis
HF: Giansiracusa, Johnson, Cooney
F: McDougall, Darcy, Higgins
FOLL: Street, Cross, Boyd
I/C: Ray, Addison, Faulkner, Hahn
EM: Harbrow, Minson, Robbins
IN: Faulkner, McDougall, Power
OUT: Griffen, McMahon, Harbrow
SYDNEY
B: Richards, Barry, Crouch
HB: Kennelly, C.Bolton, Mathews
C: Ablett, Kirk, Malceski
HF: R.O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, J.Bolton
F: Davis, Hall, Buchanan
FOLL: Jolly, Goodes, Fosdike
I/C: Schneider, McVeigh, Everitt, Bevan
EM: Schmidt, Grundy, Dempster
IN: Crouch
OUT: Dempster

southerncross
25-05-2007, 10:06 PM
I hope that is the settled team. A late withdrawal or two wouldn't surprise though.

Go_Dogs
26-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Very happy to see Cameron getting his first game of the year, and I like the faith they've shown in both McDougall and Power to come in and do jobs against one of the AFL's top sides.

bornadog
26-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I hope that is the settled team. A late withdrawal or two wouldn't surprise though.

Yes if there were late changes, they would be:

Darcy = Minson

Johnno = Robbo

But that would be on top of the three we have had, which is a major change.