PDA

View Full Version : Monty Retires

bornadog
25-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Bad luck to Monty with his injury. He has had a great career, including a premiership and best and fairest with Port as well as playing some great games for the Dogs including last years elimination final.

Good Luck for the Future.

bornadog
25-05-2007, 12:50 PM
From Sportal.com.au

Western Bulldogs veteran Brett Montgomery has announced his retirement from AFL football.

Montgomery, who turns 34 next Friday, has not played since sustaining a neck injury in the Bulldogs' opening round match against Geelong at Telstra Dome.

Montgomery told a media conference at Whitten Oval on Friday afternoon that the prognosis for his condition made a return to football problematic.

He's the second AFL player this season to stand down because of a neck injury.

Carlton midfielder Nick Stevens played the first three rounds before opting for surgery to repair a prolapsed disc. He's hoping to return to action in 2008.

Montgomery played 204 AFL matches, starting with the Bulldogs in 1997 where he spent three seasons before switching to Port Adelaide with whom he won All-Australian honours and played in the 2004 premiership team.

Montgomery returned to Whitten Oval in 2006 and played 17 matches that season including an unforgettable performance in the club's Elimination Final victory over Collingwood when he kicked four goals after being knocked out cold by Magpie Brodie Holland.

GVGjr
25-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Sensible thing to do and it's a shame that we couldn't give him a proper send off.

bornadog
25-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Sensible thing to do and it's a shame that we couldn't give him a proper send off.

Maybe the club will do something in the next few weeks before one of the home matches.

I guess, we can now look at the rookie list and see what we can do there, maybe Harbrow can stay on now.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Sad news:

I still get goosebumps when I think about that running goal he kicked against Sydney in the 1997 finals where he split the two defenders in the first quarter - I'll bet rocket didn't enjoy it! God we were good in that first quarter

Great career, IMO it was worth re-recruiting him just for the 4 goals he kicked in the final against Collingwood - to be able to have an impact in a game that important justified the coaching staffs faith in him.

I would have thought a career in coaching might lay ahead for Monty - I've been very impressed with his insights whenever I;ve heard him speak

mackem
25-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Maybe the club will do something in the next few weeks before one of the home matches.

I guess, we can now look at the rookie list and see what we can do there, maybe Harbrow can stay on now.

Unfortunately you cannot replace a retired player with a player of the rookie list so when Chris comes back Harbrow goes back to the rookie list.

Bulldog Revolution
25-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately you cannot replace a retired player with a player of the rookie list so when Chris comes back Harbrow goes back to the rookie list.

Really - thats an interesting one

I just assumed that Harbrow would benefit by Monty stepping aside

Maybe the AFL players association did that to stop clubs moving on veterans mid season to enable them to upgrade rookies???

Go_Dogs
25-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Very sad news, and wish Monty all the best with whatever he chooses to do next. Hard player, well respected by all.

southerncross
25-05-2007, 07:47 PM

I heard someone say that on the radio but I thought if the retirement was because of injury then they could also be replaced.

Someone mentioned that Gaspar couldn't be replaced because he was basically stepping aside so I'm not sure if the rule applies to Monty. It does make sense though.

southerncross
26-05-2007, 07:36 AM

This is a copy from the Hun today.

With Chris Grant due to return in the next two weeks, Montgomery's retirement gives the Bulldogs the opportunity to retain rookie Jarrod Harbrow on their senior list.

I wonder if this is correct

Mofra
26-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Given we are likely to sustain another LT injury at some stage during the season, would there be any chance of another rookie being elevated?

It would probably take some patchy form from both Williams & Everitt, but Pask seems to be playing well at Werribee and an injury to another tall could give him an opportunity.

southerncross
26-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Given we are likely to sustain another LT injury at some stage during the season, would there be any chance of another rookie being elevated?

It would probably take some patchy form from both Williams & Everitt, but Pask seems to be playing well at Werribee and an injury to another tall could give him an opportunity.

It's possible but has Pask done enough to say that he would be a viable senior player?
At 191cm he isn't really tall enough and we all know he lacks a yard. I tend to think we should wait.

bornadog
26-05-2007, 12:27 PM
It's possible but has Pask done enough to say that he would be a viable senior player?
At 191cm he isn't really tall enough and we all know he lacks a yard. I tend to think we should wait.

If one player comes off the rookie list, are we able to promote another to the rookie list?

BulldogBelle
26-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Sad to see Monty retire under these circumstances but when it is a question of his health involved he did what had to be done. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours.