PDA

View Full Version : Moments you won't forget

The Bulldogs Bite
03-12-2009, 12:22 AM
I thought this could raise some interesting discussion. Moments/matches that included other sides/players which you've never forgotten. I'll kick it off when Aker was with Brisbane.

Brisbane v Collingwood Grand Final in 2002. Close, wet game that really could have gone either way. Minutes left and only a few points in it. Up steps Jason Akermanis who was carrying an injury and had to dispose of the ball on his left side as much as possible all day. The ball comes in, Aker scoops it up cleanly and without hesitation manages to kick the ball almost directly over his head, left foot, for the match winning goal. An unbelievable piece of play from a man you simply could not stop for those few years.

Another was after Port Adelaide defeated Brisbane in the '04 Grand Final, Williams' sheer emotion by immitating the choking gesture with his tie. They had so much pressure put on them in those years after failing to perform in Finals for 2-3 years despite being the best H&A side. Lynch's brain explosion v Wakelin also features as a moment I probably won't forget.

Here's Aker's goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGWpGNHi6Q

AndrewP6
03-12-2009, 12:29 AM
I thought this could raise some interesting discussion. Moments/matches that included other sides/players which you've never forgotten.

There are other sides? ;)

Sedat
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Great call TBB. I used to dislike Aker before that very moment, but when he broke a million filth supporter's hearts I took an instant liking to him :D

In addition to 2002, I also loved several moments in the 2003 GF, most of which involved the likes of Rhyce Shaw, Richard Cole and Shane Woewoful all imploding and coughing up possession to the Lions and gifting them easy goals. I watched the game with a bunch of filth-hating mates and we had a BBQ before the match started. The steaks did not go down very well at all; it felt like the last supper as we all thought a fit and healthy Collingwood were going to beat up on a battered and bruised Brisbane outfit. How wrong we were - it ended up being the most enjoyable game of football I've ever watched not involving the Bulldogs. Always a pleasure to see the filth embarrased and humiliated on national television.

LostDoggy
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
My Dad was a Hawthorn supporter. I'll never forget watching the 1989 Grand Final with him. I hated it when Geelong went the bash in the first quarter, but will always remember the "walking wounded" - Brereton with concussion & broken ribs, Dipper with broken ribs & a punctured lung, Ayres & Platten with concussion. They were all so courageous and deserved to win it. :)

strebla
03-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I think there are two for me a John Roberts screamer at the lakeside oval in my youth sensational grab and James Hird hugging the guy in the crowd just a great moment to show what footy can mean to us all

Twodogs
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
I think there are two for me a John Roberts screamer at the lakeside oval in my youth sensational grab and James Hird hugging the guy in the crowd just a great moment to show what footy can mean to us all

I can remember that mark-he took a fair few screamers in a couple of seasons for South.

My moment I wont forget is the '82 GF when Helen Damico steaked just after half time-I'd put my binoculars at half time and couldnt get the bloody things out quickly enough! I can remeber Dempsey and Peter Moore constantly wrestling each other to the ground in a final in the '70s, after half time I dont think one ball up or throw in was properly contested because they would just pull each other over and the ball would just hit the ground.

From a Footscray POV I will never forget the day Neil Sasche was paralised-the crowd just went so quiet it was eerie. Then there was the day at Whitten Oval against Geelong when the power went out and the siren wouldnt work. One of the timekeepers came running down the steps of the Gent stand ringing the old timekeepers bell but the umpire couldnt hear him. Tom Hafey was the Geelong coach and he had to go out onto the ground and tap the umpy on the back. Geez it was a funny sight-the umps about to bounce the ball when he feels someone tapping him on the back and turns around to find Tom Hafey standing there pointing at the timekeeper standing on the boundary furiously ringing this huge bell. The umpire looked at Hafey, then at the timekeeper then back at Hafey and shrugged his shoulders. Tommy T-shirt just rolled his eyes and held his hands up as if to say "I dont know what's going on either!":D

Mofra
03-12-2009, 03:51 PM
One memory that has stuck was Choco Royal's goodbye at Whitten Oval; he was on crutches stranded on 199 games, 299 goals and the crowd went mental giving him a cheer before the game (send-offs weren't as commonplace then). He tried as hard as he could to compose himself but his face was flooded, as he raised one of his crutches to the crowd.

Glen Coleman knocking out the pointpost was a classic - unlike Leigh Matthews' post-break (which was structural damage to me), Galazy just polaxed it completely from the base; the crowd parted like the red sea as it fell. Sticking the little league post in looked ridiculous and funny at the same time.

The Underdog
03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
The 89 GF stands out for pure entertaining football and a bunch of memorable moments. Brereton's recovery from being cleaned up and goal in the first quarter was outstanding, Dipper punching on with Bruns and another Geelong player at the same time, Ablett's performance all up.

As far as single moments, I keep coming back to certain marks, Sean Smith's against Brisbane which I saw on TV and Alastair Lynch taking a grab over a pack for Fitzroy against
North at a muddy MCG and a mark Nicky Winmar took for the Saints against Richmond at Moorabin which apparently wasn't caught on camera both of which I saw live. Winmar's mark I'm pretty sure was the same round as Silvagni's famous mark against Collingwood and I'm pretty sure crapped all over it, but as I said wasn't captured.
Also Mick Conlan's goal in the wet at Waverly in the 86 finals to beat Essendon and knock them out of the finals.
Those are the one's that immediately come to mind.

ledge
03-12-2009, 05:19 PM
The Beasley mark and goal to beat Collingwood in the last minute or so of the game..Jock Edmond pointing to his head and giving heaps to Gubby Allen.

Shaun Smiths screamer, mark of the century i think.

Johnnos goal on his 300th game to win.

Twodogs
04-12-2009, 06:51 PM
One memory that has stuck was Choco Royal's goodbye at Whitten Oval; he was on crutches stranded on 199 games, 299 goals and the crowd went mental giving him a cheer before the game (send-offs weren't as commonplace then). He tried as hard as he could to compose himself but his face was flooded, as he raised one of his crutches to the crowd.

I can remember at selector's table on the thursday before when Choco walked (Limped) into the room and the whole crowd rose as one and applauded for what seemed like 10 minutes. Brian looked genuinly shocked at the acclamation and I remember thinking "Mate you are one of the best footballers I've seen, what's with the suprised look?"

alwaysadog
04-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Kollie's run around the player on the mark before goaling, had Terry Wheeler saying "If only he always thought like that." Not many better moments in football,

or what about Grantie's kick from the forward pocket to win the game against Essendon and beat them for the only time that season.

bornadog
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Kollie's run around the player on the mark before goaling, had Terry Wheeler saying "If only he always thought like that." Not many better moments in football,

or what about Grantie's kick from the forward pocket to win the game against Essendon and beat them for the only time that season.

Both were pure magic, and great memories.

The Coon Dog
06-12-2009, 02:53 PM
- The seniors & reserves both drawing against North Melbourne at Arden Street.

- Neil Sasche breaking his neck.

- Winning our first game in 1980 against Fitzroy & Loveless kicking 8.

- Keeping Carlton goal less until the last minute.

- Seeing the Collingwood supporters filing out of the MCG during the last quarter as Sons of the West rang out.

The Pie Man
06-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Here's Aker's goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGWpGNHi6Q

Watching that, two things stand out - Leon Davis giving up possession falling over just over 50 out for Scott can kick it forward, and when the goal was signalled, a Collingwood fan slapping the fence in frustration (we've all been there...not in a GF of course)

Twodogs
06-12-2009, 11:48 PM
-Winning our first game in 1980 against Fitzroy & Loveless kicking 8.

That was a great day!

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 02:10 AM
The game against Adelaide in 2006.

We came into the game as the underdogs. Adelaide were near the top of the ladder and nearly every player on our list was carrying some kind of injury. At half time we were close to 40 points down, yet we managed to dig deep and pull off a great comeback to win by 7 points. This game secured us a place in the finals for the first time in six years.

The odds were against us, but our determination won us the game. In my time following the dogs there have been very few games better than this.

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Glen Coleman knocking out the pointpost was a classic - unlike Leigh Matthews' post-break (which was structural damage to me), Galazy just polaxed it completely from the base; the crowd parted like the red sea as it fell. Sticking the little league post in looked ridiculous and funny at the same time.

One of my most vivid memories from football as a youngster. I remember the little league post was also on a 30 -40 degree angle :D

LostDoggy
08-12-2009, 11:06 AM
That was a great day!

I was there. A good day in a terrible period for the club. Not sure I could call in it a great day in hindsight.

I remember being at Princes Park for the first game of the season vs Carlton where Georgedis kicked 8 thinking what a great day and looking forward to the season. How wrong I was.

aker39
08-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Mick Conlan's goal in the wet at Waverly in the 86 finals to beat Essendon and knock them out of the finals.

That is my best non bulldogs moment. I was there that day and it was the most enjoyment I have got out of a game not involving the bulldogs.

That is my best bulldog moment. Having gone to school in Essendon and copping abuse every time Essendon beat us, my hatred for Essendon has only grown over the years. I will remember this game forever. The fact that the Bulldog shop kept replaying it no stop for about 3 years has it etched in my memory.

Twodogs
08-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Sticking the little league post in looked ridiculous and funny at the same time.

Didnt one of the trainers have to hold it in place until halftime until they could secure it properly?
That would have been an interesting job.

chef
08-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Chris Grant staying, Nathan Brown going and not dieing in '89'. From a match perspective round 22 in 98 against North was a special feeling(gutted at the end).

Ozza
08-12-2009, 02:58 PM
That is my best non bulldogs moment. I was there that day and it was the most enjoyment I have got out of a game not involving the bulldogs.

That is my best bulldog moment. Having gone to school in Essendon and copping abuse every time Essendon beat us, my hatred for Essendon has only grown over the years. I will remember this game forever. The fact that the Bulldog shop kept replaying it no stop for about 3 years has it etched in my memory.

I too grew up in Essendon/went to school there - and was in Year 12 when this game occurred. So Bulldogs/Essendon games were super important for me! To have my favourite player of all time kick such a brilliant left foot goal to beat the undefeated bombers....whilst I was standing with a crew of Essendon supporting mates....I couldn't have wished for a better scenario!

Twodogs
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
whilst I was standing with a crew of Essendon supporting mates....I couldn't ave wished for a better scenario!

Whilst I can see how that would have been fun I saw one of the greatest things I ever saw at the end of that match. An old lady (and I'm talking in the '80s type old) who was sitting a few rows in front of us had been copping from some particularly 'heroic' Essendon supporters. We'd been down to see if we could help but she waved us all away and told us that she would handle it all herself at the appropriate time.

Anyway come the end of the match this old dear turned into the Incredible Hulk and turned on these guys as they were attempting to slink out of the ground unnoticed and gave them the second greatest spray I've ever seen or heard. The boys looked like they wanted to do something about it but suddenly noticed that it wasnt just the little old lady they were about to take on but every Bulldog supporter in the vicinity who'd headed over to stand behind her and point and laugh at them. It was awesome, simply awesome and the best way to finish a match against those Essendon ****s!

aker39
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
gave them the second greatest spray I've ever seen or heard.

What's the greatest spray

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2009, 09:10 PM
What's the greatest spray

MCG in 2007 v Adelaide.

Peter Street lets Rhett Biglands loose and he goals. A minute later Street gives up the softest 50m penalty ever and Twodogs goes into the loudest, most abuse filled torrent at Street for 7 minutes.

I understand there is now a plaque in the Ponsford stand to mark the spot.

LostDoggy
10-12-2009, 01:20 PM
I've been lucky enough to see two significant non-Bulldog related incidents, both at Subiaco. In fact, both of them were almost incidental to the game itself.

1. Fremantle v St Kilda in 1998(?), when umpire Peter Carey took a mark.

2. West Coast v Essendon in 1994(?), when Sheeds started waving his jacket, thus commencing the tradition between those two clubs of waving something if your team wins.

As it happens I was also at the MCG (Aust v NZ, 1981), when Trevor Chappell bowled the underarm delivery.

My favourite Bulldog moment was Danny Southern's headlock on Peter Sumich... f@$k yeah!

chef
10-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I've been lucky enough to see two significant non-Bulldog related incidents, both at Subiaco. In fact, both of them were almost incidental to the game itself.

1. Fremantle v St Kilda in 1998(?), when umpire Peter Carey took a mark.

2. West Coast v Essendon in 1994(?), when Sheeds started waving his jacket, thus commencing the tradition between those two clubs of waving something if your team wins.
As it happens I was also at the MCG (Aust v NZ, 1981), when Trevor Chappell bowled the underarm delivery.

My favourite Bulldog moment was Danny Southern's headlock on Peter Sumich... f@$k yeah!

Pretty sure this started in 93 at the MCG. Round 16 game with Paul Salmon kicking the winning goal for a 2 point win.

mighty_west
10-12-2009, 05:56 PM
A few memories i won't forget:

The day Beasley bagged 12 against Geelong in '82, he had Flannigan living in his back pocket punching the back of his head on every occasion.

On the flipside, years later, but Ben Graham booming the ball from the goal square to the centre square at Whitten Oval.

The old cow bell used as the siren was a classic.

A rather young Plugger sitting on Tits Kennedy, Barkly St. end pounding his fists into his head, there would have been at least a dozen strikes to the head, yet, Tits gets up and shakes it off...tuff nut!

An 18 year old Scotty West kicking 6 goals in a game, Del Re also had a day out that day.

Twodogs
10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
MCG in 2007 v Adelaide.

Peter Street lets Rhett Biglands loose and he goals. A minute later Street gives up the softest 50m penalty ever and Twodogs goes into the loudest, most abuse filled torrent at Street for 7 minutes.
I understand there is now a plaque in the Ponsford stand to mark the spot.

Most of it went into MJP's daughters left ear IIRC!

Nah the best spray I ever heard came from Doug Hawkin's mum. On the train back from a miserable trip to Moorabin someone made a comment about Doug and the stream of abuse he took went for four train stops.

I often think it would have been funny if you were waiting for another train on the platform-the doors would open, Psssstshhhh-...on your fat arse. You ****ing get out there and do ****ing better you little ****ing ****! By the ****ing looks of yer you'd shit yourself the first time some **** looked at yer ****ing sideways...Pssssstshhhh the doors would shut!

Twodogs
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
The old cow bell used as the siren was a classic.

Thank God. I was starting to think I had imagined it.

mighty_west
10-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Thank God. I was starting to think I had imagined it.

They may have even used that cow bell for herding us off the ground at half time for the little league at Whitten Oval, although i was so young & shell shocked at the time, being that small kid that gets zero posessions and walks off all covered in mud, it may have just been in my mind!

craigsahibee
10-12-2009, 10:46 PM
My favourite non bulldog moment was at the G in 1989. Gary Ablett Snr vs Collingwood. Ablett flew for a mark at CHF at the Punt Rd end. Gathered he ball on the ground, evaded 2 collingwood defenders than goaled from 50. There was a group of us there and all we did was clap and shook our heads. Later that weekend I saw the replay and Sandy Roberts came up with "What more can you say". Summed it up perfectly.

LostDoggy
11-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Pretty sure this started in 93 at the MCG. Round 16 game with Paul Salmon kicking the winning goal for a 2 point win.

You know, I think you might be right. Memory is a hazy thing. Perhaps what I thought I remembered quite distinctly was not the first time it ever occurred but the first time Essendon won a game at Subi after the jacket waving tradition had commenced.

Twodogs
11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
They may have even used that cow bell for herding us off the ground at half time for the little league at Whitten Oval, although i was so young & shell shocked at the time, being that small kid that gets zero posessions and walks off all covered in mud, it may have just been in my mind!

You're right, I think they did use the cow bell for the little league.

LostDoggy
13-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I was outside having a smoke during the interval at a Judas Priest concert last year when Collingwood lost to StKilda. All the pie fans were filing despondently past the fenced off smoking area when somehow a chant started up, ''Losers! Losers!....'' Close to 500 metalheads began bagging the magpie fans with most doing the pointed gesture in time with the chant as well. Surreal but totally priceless!

LostDoggy
13-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Came down from Sydney for last game at Western Oval in '97. Thrashed West Coast and still cried my eyes out.

Bulldog Revolution
13-12-2009, 02:35 PM
A rather young Plugger sitting on Tits Kennedy, Barkly St. end pounding his fists into his head, there would have been at least a dozen strikes to the head, yet, Tits gets up and shakes it off...tuff nut!

An 18 year old Scotty West kicking 6 goals in a game, Del Re also had a day out that day.

It was an incredible to sight to see Tits and Plugger going at it

If my memory is correct I think West kicked 7

Twodogs
13-12-2009, 03:06 PM

6 V Essendon in '93 at Western Oval. I think it was '93-Sockeye will remember for sure. The week after V West Coast Worsfold and co got stuck into him. Some of the other Bulldogs saw that and that's why Gardiner copped it in'97 at Western Oval from Kretiuk and Dent in one of his first games.

mighty_west
13-12-2009, 05:00 PM
It was an incredible to sight to see Tits and Plugger going at it

Westy definatly kicked 6

Round 5, 1993 @ Whitten Oval
'Scray - 20.7.127
Essendon - 11.15.81

Douggie gets the quick on field interview after the game, yet keeps his mouth guard in and sounds half tanked! :D