PDA

View Full Version : What Changes round 10?

bornadog
28-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Well we are nearly at the half way mark, can't believe it. We must win or we will be back to even stevens.

In: Griffen, McMahon and Murphy were really missed on the weekend, if fit they will slot straight in.

Out: Power, Faulkner, and .....????

Something to think about before the team sheets come out on thursday.

GVGjr
29-05-2007, 11:33 AM
It would be a shame for Faulkner to be dropped after one week but Power and Faulkner are likely candidates.

We will know tomorrow if McMahon, Griffen and Murphy are available for selection.

Clearly some changes have to be made

Go_Dogs
29-05-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd be keen for Faulkner to get another game, but with those 3 coming back in it certainly makes it difficult. Addison should play again, so Power and Faulkner may be joined by someone who wasn't expected to get dropped - perhaps Robbins, or someone else.

GVGjr
29-05-2007, 01:14 PM
I'd be keen for Faulkner to get another game, but with those 3 coming back in it certainly makes it difficult. Addison should play again, so Power and Faulkner may be joined by someone who wasn't expected to get dropped - perhaps Robbins, or someone else.

I thought Robbo might have done enough to be maintained. The defensive pressure he can apply in our forward line is something we need at the moment.

bornadog
29-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I thought Robbo might have done enough to be maintained. The defensive pressure he can apply in our forward line is something we need at the moment.

Yes he kicked 3.3 and could have been 5. I wouldnot drop him.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2007, 09:59 AM
In theory, I agree. Robbo was certainly one of our most impressive players on the weekend. Just to fit in the names of those coming back, plus those who have been in reasonable form - Addison, Robbo etc - is going to be tough. I'd like to see players who played well retain spots, rather than players who played well 1 or 2 seasons ago, and haven't done much this year.

Mantis
30-05-2007, 01:06 PM

I thought he's defensive pressure was pretty ordinary to tell you the truth. As one of our more stronger bodied players he slipped off far too many tackles for my liking.

bornadog
30-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I thought he's defensive pressure was pretty ordinary to tell you the truth. As one of our more stronger bodied players he slipped off far too many tackles for my liking.

Who would you pick then for this week?

bornadog
30-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Looks like McMahon will be in, Griffen is facing a test. murphy still needs another week.

GVGjr
30-05-2007, 02:37 PM

I'll have another look at the tape but how did you rate his performance otherwise?
I know you haven't been a fan of his but I thought he did enough to keep his position.

Bulldog Revolution
30-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I'll have another look at the tape but how did you rate his performance otherwise?
I know you haven't been a fan of his but I thought he did enough to keep his position.

I'm obviously a fan, as I've posted last week calling for his inclusion - I acknowledged that

I should have paid more attention to his tackling and chasing because DogTown suggested it had dropped off. The little I saw I thought he was reasonable considering how poor the delivery was into the forward 50 - he certainly looked a hungry and determined player.

I thought he was very lively and would hold his spot - I just think he is so hard to matchup on - Last week in the discussion of the team changes Mantis put forward the team balance argument and how it is effected by too many small forwards - and a lot of that makes sense.

Many will perhaps not like this but if we weren't playing Carlton I would be inclined to drop Higgins. I think his second efforts have dropped off too much and his development might be helped by a spell of centre square VFL football

That said I saw nothing of Power to make me think he should be selected this week. I'll defer to others on Faulkner as I think he's really been working hard and has earnt another opportunity, although he may not get it

bornadog
30-05-2007, 04:48 PM
That said I saw nothing of Power to make me think he should be selected this week. I'll defer to others on Faulkner as I think he's really been working hard and has earnt another opportunity, although he may not get it

I am also a fan of Robbins but not of Power, and like you didn't like what I saw on Sunday. Faulkner didn't seem to get much game time but its hard to tell from watching the TV.

Looks like McMahon and most likely Griffen are in so maybe Power and Faulkner will be dropped.

Do you think Minson or McDougall should come in?

Dry Rot
30-05-2007, 05:04 PM
If MCDougall is fit we should give him a good run with a job to do eg FF.

We need him to fire (or know that he can't) desperately this year.

GVGjr
30-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Do you think Minson or McDougall should come in?

Depends on what the plans are with Darcy.
I don't think Eade wants to play two talls in the forward line at the same time.

As a side note, are the days of Minson and Street being in the team at the same time still likely especially with Darcy in the team?
I actually think the Street/Minson combination worked well for us in the past but having Darcy available just about kills it.

At a guess McDougall would probably provide some options for us which might be appealing.

dog town
30-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Robbins did enough to keep his spot. He played pretty well so he keeps his spot. Thats the way it works and its the first time Robbo has put in a satisfactory game this season. His defensive pressure was still down (1 tackle) after an initial burst early but it was better than some of his mates. He cost Johnson 2 goals by leading to the same place as him which is something the two of them need to work out.

I would bring in Mcmahon and Griffen (pending fitness) for Faulkner and Power. Ray is getting close and if it wasn't for the fact that Harbrow has now had 2 60 minute runs .in the firsts followed by a week off I would be looking to swap them. Harbrow probably needs some game time now and I would be loathe to pull a runner like Ray out of the side at this point.

I want them to play Cooney in the middle as long as possible this week. He needs a run and spending such long periods forward hasn't helped his work ethic. Just let him go and ind the footy again.

bornadog
30-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I read some where that Grant will be playing for Werribee in the next week or two. Does this mean Harbrow goes back to Rookie or can we replace Monty with Harbrow?

Dry Rot
31-05-2007, 12:27 AM
IIRC Monty has retired, then no.

Mantis
31-05-2007, 08:30 AM

As BR has spoken about we have too many small forwards, all of them offer something different, but we cant play them all. One of Aker, Gia, Robbins and Higgins has to make way for a tall. Who do you drop?? Personally for me its Robbins, as discussed he is a leading player primarily, at under 6ft he leads to be a crumber primarily. He leads into other peoples space and he's forward pressure is a myth these days.

I think all the other have bigger upsides than Robbins, they may not kick as many goals as Robbins, but your worth to the team shouldn't only be based on goals that you kick. I was extremely disappointed that Robbins started last week ahead of Higgins. Robbins was a late inclusion, Higgins was coming off his most productive game and had earnt the right to start the game in my view.

Bulldog Revolution
31-05-2007, 12:11 PM
As BR has spoken about we have too many small forwards, all of them offer something different, but we cant play them all. One of Aker, Gia, Robbins and Higgins has to make way for a tall. Who do you drop?? Personally for me its Robbins, as discussed he is a leading player primarily, at under 6ft he leads to be a crumber primarily. He leads into other peoples space and he's forward pressure is a myth these days.

I think all the other have bigger upsides than Robbins, they may not kick as many goals as Robbins, but your worth to the team shouldn't only be based on goals that you kick. I was extremely disappointed that Robbins started last week ahead of Higgins. Robbins was a late inclusion, Higgins was coming off his most productive game and had earnt the right to start the game in my view.

As I see it Robbins plays closer to goal and is effective whilst Higgins does more work up the ground.

I personally think that Higgins should be the one to make way. I dont doubt his long term potential or that he would be back in the side shortly. But right now I just think he needs 4 quarters of football to build his endurance and fitness up and also work on his defensive side. He finished well against Collingwood, particularly in the second half but patches of his first half were dreadful, apart from the running goal, as he admitted after the game.

I dont think he is strong enough, getting enough of it, nor does enough defensively against the top teams.

I dont expect that many others will necessarily share my view but I still have very high hopes for him as a footballer but just think he still has a lot to learn - he's only played about 20 games of senior level footy be it AFL/VFL.

GVGjr
31-05-2007, 12:42 PM
One of Aker, Gia, Robbins and Higgins has to make way for a tall. Who do you drop?? Personally for me its Robbins, as discussed he is a leading player primarily, at under 6ft he leads to be a crumber primarily. He leads into other peoples space and he's forward pressure is a myth these days.

I think Gia is in some trouble at the moment and would be a candidate to be used off the bench more.
I also think you might be underestimating the defensive work Robbins does in the forward line but your analysis and summaries are excellent.

Mantis
31-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I think Gia is in some trouble at the moment and would be a candidate to be used off the bench more.
I also think you might be underestimating the defensive work Robbins does in the forward line but your analysis and summaries are excellent.

Along with BR I think we all are of agreeance that the forwardline structure needs some alterations. We have too many small options and obviously not enough talls, why we differ on who we want out, all 3 mentioned are quite possible exclusions from the team. The only thing that may brought into consideration is the expected crappy weather for Sunday's game. We may stick with a small forwardline this week, but I hope things are changed a bit when next we will play in dry conditions.

Bulldog Revolution
31-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Along with BR I think we all are of agreeance that the forwardline structure needs some alterations. We have too many small options and obviously not enough talls, why we differ on who we want out, all 3 mentioned are quite possible exclusions from the team. The only thing that may brought into consideration is the expected crappy weather for Sunday's game. We may stick with a small forwardline this week, but I hope things are changed a bit when next we will play in dry conditions.

Agreed Mantis:

I'd like to see McDougall get another run, he only played two games and his second one against Adelaide was close to our worst performance of the year and he really had no chance to have any impact with our inability to deliver, and the crows flooding.

I think the four guys positions we are examing are: Giansiracusa, Ray, Robbins and Higgins. I've spoken about Higgins and Ray enough, and they're all talented players:

Giansiracusa to me just doesn't finish enough of his good work - and he's kind of neither an outside midfielder or completely an inside one, he's not really a full time midfielder and not really a full time forward, he's not really quick, or is he. I think he does more of the hard stuff than we as supporters notice but he's often a guy supporters look to blame.

Ray - You get glimpses with Fazza that he could be something really special, his combination of endurance, and agility along with those long arms and ability to stretch and take an overhead grab, often enable him to get a lot of shots on goal, if he finished/kicked more of those then he would be so damaging. He's clearly still learning the game and his defensive efforts have come a long way but he does tend to drop out of games completely. Can he win enough of his own ball?

bornadog
31-05-2007, 07:37 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: McMahon, Harris, Morris
HB: Gilbee, Wight, Hargrave
C: Eagleton, S.West, Akermanis
HF: Giansiracusa, Johnson, Cooney
F: Robbins, Darcy, Higgins
FOLL: Street, Cross, Boyd
I/C from: Addison, Griffen, Hahn, Harbrow, Minson, Skipper, Power
IN: McMahon, Griffen, Harbrow, Minson, Skipper
OUT: Faulkner, Ray

bornadog
31-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Based on the interchange bench, I think Addison and Hahn will hold their spots, Harbrow and Skipper may come in and Power dropped. According to the article posted by Southern, Griffen may not be risked.

Bulldog Revolution
31-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Interesting that the axe fell on Ray. I was probably a bit harsh on Higgins - I went just as crazy as anyone when he kicked that running two bounce goal against Collingwood and discussed him as a prospect with no ceiling on what he could achieve.

Hard to see Harbrow coming into the team with Aka, Gia, Higgins already in it, but its hard to tell and I'd actually like to see him get a shot in this one - he might be very hard to catch in the wide open spaces of the G.

I thought Addison was very good and would be shocked if he was not selected.

I am wondering if this could be a 3 ruckman game? but maybe there is doubt over Darcy

Mantis
01-06-2007, 07:58 AM
I am wondering if this could be a 3 ruckman game? but maybe there is doubt over Darcy

I would think we may play 2 ruckman this week in Minson and Street and play Darcy as a permanent forward, If Darcy doesn't come up play Skipper as a forward. Carlton's ruck division is one of the poorest in the comp and we look to have a distinct advantage with Street. Lets hope he can win some clear taps to advantage to help with our centre clearance efficiency.

bornadog
01-06-2007, 08:55 AM
I would think we may play 2 ruckman this week in Minson and Street and play Darcy as a permanent forward, If Darcy doesn't come up play Skipper as a forward. Carlton's ruck division is one of the poorest in the comp and we look to have a distinct advantage with Street. Lets hope he can win some clear taps to advantage to help with our centre clearance efficiency.

Unfortuantely Street came up against one of the best tap ruckman in the AFL last week and Jolly is pretty handy to. I don't think Minson will come in it may be Skippers turn.

With Harbrow, maybe Eade is thinking about pace if Griffen is held back a week.

GVGjr
01-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Unfortuantely Street came up against one of the best tap ruckman in the AFL last week and Jolly is pretty handy to. I don't think Minson will come in it may be Skippers turn.

With Harbrow, maybe Eade is thinking about pace if Griffen is held back a week.

I think there is some merit with bringing Skip in for this game to provide a more mobile option against Ackland. It will probably come down to the weather and conditions.

Not sure about Harbrow.

Go_Dogs
01-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Personally was a bit surprised to see Ray dropped as I thought he'd been OK the last few weeks...perhaps he isn't working hard enough in his run with roles yet or something? Not too sure, but a bit of a surprise.

Not to sure what we're doing with the line up at the moment to be honest. A few weird Ins too.

Bulldog Revolution
01-06-2007, 12:48 PM

That was exactly what I thought:

Streets height and Minsons brute is a versatile combination that should really work over most opposition. Setanta would likely get Darcy so we would see that as a matchup we might be able to exploit

Did anyone hear Champs from coodabeens do 'Cloke on Setanta' to the tune of 'Smoke on the Water' a few weeks a go - classic stuff

bornadog
02-06-2007, 04:53 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: McMahon, Harris, Morris
HB: Gilbee, Wight, Hargrave
C: Eagleton, S.West, Akermanis
HF: Giansiracusa, Johnson, Cooney
F: Robbins, Darcy, Higgins
FOLL: Street, Cross, Boyd
I/C: Addison, Griffen, Hahn, Power
EM: Harbrow, Minson, Skipper
IN: McMahon, Griffen
OUT: Faulkner, Ray

Final team

Mofra
02-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Harborw, Minson & Skipper all palyed with Werribee so I suppose Griffen will play.

Minson & Doogs must be a chance next week, and Everitt could debut in a few weeks on the back of performances like the one today.

GVGjr
02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Harborw, Minson & Skipper all played with Werribee so I suppose Griffen will play.

Minson & Doogs must be a chance next week, and Everitt could debut in a few weeks on the back of performances like the one today.

Agreed. Street would want to have a good outing tomorrow and McDougall was very good.
Everitt could play on a wing or up forward. Very versatile.

Go_Dogs
03-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Getting excited about Everitt. Would be great to see him get a game sooner rather than later. How much have you seen him play forward GVGjr? Do you think he could potentially develop into one of those KP's who can run through the midfield? Obviously his running ability and foot skill are impressive.

GVGjr
03-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Getting excited about Everitt. Would be great to see him get a game sooner rather than later. How much have you seen him play forward GVGjr? Do you think he could potentially develop into one of those KP's who can run through the midfield? Obviously his running ability and foot skill are impressive.

Given his height, pace and athleticism I can see him playing anywhere. Longer term he is probably going to be more at home as a running defender. In the next year or so he could even play on a wing. Yesterday he even delivered a couple of very strong tackles. Great to see him making progress in his first season with us and staying injury free.