PDA

View Full Version : Williams vs Everritt

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Who will play a game this season from now on ahead of the other and why?

GVGjr
05-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Who will play first this season and why?

We have a winner. Williams has already played a senior game this year.

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 01:47 PM
We have a winner. Williams has already played a senior game this year.

OK, you win.

From now on. Will edit my first foolish post.

westdog54
05-06-2007, 02:49 PM
The only thing that is holding back Everitt is his frame.

He's proving himself already to be a very skilled and talented defender as well as a booming kick. Would provide another viable option other than Gilbee at kick-ins. The repeated kick-out in the second quarter was a debacle that could have and should have been avoided.

GVGjr
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
OK, you win.

From now on. Will edit my first foolish post.

Both are a big chance to be included this week imo. As WestDog mentioned the only knock on Everitt is his light frame but that is probably just a minor consideration.

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 03:01 PM
The only thing that is holding back Everitt is his frame.

He's proving himself already to be a very skilled and talented defender as well as a booming kick. Would provide another viable option other than Gilbee at kick-ins. The repeated kick-out in the second quarter was a debacle that could have and should have been avoided.

What about Everritt v Wight?

westdog54
05-06-2007, 03:09 PM

To be frank I think that in terms of form, Everitt is in front of Wight. Cam had a good start to the season and played well toward the end of last year, but going on current form, it has to be said, he's in trouble.

The question to be asked now is, can Everitt hold his feet against bigger, more experienced opponents? At the moment, despite his form, I'm not 100% sure.

If, hypothetically, he were to be selected for this week's game, who would he take?

Sockeye Salmon
05-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Everitt by miles for me.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2007, 03:34 PM
I feel Cam has been serviceable this year, although not outstanding. No way is he ready for the ruck yet where he has been thrown a few times, still needs another pre-season to see some more significant improvement, but that doesn't mean he can't do a reasonable job as a third tall defender. He could be a useful option up forward perhaps too imo, just needs more confidence over head.

Everitt will overtake Cam you would think, although I wouldn't downplay Wight's chances of becoming a reasonable footballer in his own right.

In relation to the actual thread question, I agree with GVGjr that both will come under serious consideration this week, certainly as Eade has said Darcy will probably be retained and he won't play '3 ruckmen' so Minson could possibly have another week in the B's. That leaves Williams and Everitt as two with a pretty good chance, considering Ray and perhaps McDougall are the others in line for a recall along with Murphy of course.

4GIVME
05-06-2007, 07:20 PM
i think williams may get a go this week ahead of everitt. although both are good players and which ever one doesn't get choosen it won't be too long until one of them is.

southerncross
05-06-2007, 07:26 PM
i think williams may get a go this week ahead of everitt. although both are good players and which ever one doesn't get choosen it won't be too long until one of them is.

I am leaning towards this as well. Williams probably has a better match-ups on the resting ruckman against the Lions. Last time we played them in the pre-season cup Charman caused us all sorts of problems. With Harris otherwise occupied with Brown, Williams appears to be a good option. We could stick with Wight but he is down on form.

bornadog
05-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Everitt is still young and very lightly framed, whereas Williams has already developed as far as the body goes.

Andrejs Everitt
Jumper No: 29
Height: 193cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 13/03/1989

Tom L. Williams
Jumper No: 12
Height: 196cm
Weight: 98kg
DOB: 1986-07-17

However, as far as football brain goes, Everitt is probaly ahead as he has probably played more games even thou he is 3 years younger. Its very hard to come from a Rugby background to Aussie rules.

Either way, the future for both boys is looking good.

bornadog
05-06-2007, 08:00 PM
To be frank I think that in terms of form, Everitt is in front of Wight. Cam had a good start to the season and played well toward the end of last year, but going on current form, it has to be said, he's in trouble.

The question to be asked now is, can Everitt hold his feet against bigger, more experienced opponents? At the moment, despite his form, I'm not 100% sure.

If, hypothetically, he were to be selected for this week's game, who would he take?

I feel sorry for Wight in a way as he has been thrown into the ruck alot this season due to Darcy's poor form and has not been allowed to settle in the CHB position. If they want to make him a ruckman, then fair enough he is learning, but we can't then turn around and criticize him for not being a good backman. I think its hard for a player that has played less than 30 games to be thrown around like he has.

southerncross
05-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Everitt is still young and very lightly framed, whereas Williams has already developed as far as the body goes.

Andrejs Everitt
Jumper No: 29
Height: 193cm
Weight: 78kg
DOB: 13/03/1989

Tom L. Williams
Jumper No: 12
Height: 196cm
Weight: 98kg
DOB: 1986-07-17

However, as far as football brain goes, Everitt is probaly ahead as he has probably played more games even thou he is 3 years younger. Its very hard to come from a Rugby background to Aussie rules.

Either way, the future for both boys is looking good.

We could include both. Everitt is not an option against talls but against flankers he could more than hold his own given his pace. Williams could play against both talls and smalls.

LostDoggy
05-06-2007, 09:39 PM
We could include both. Everitt is not an option against talls but against flankers he could more than hold his own given his pace. Williams could play against both talls and smalls.

I'd play them both too. One as a straight swap for Wight possibly Williams. With Everitt you'd be guaranteed that he'll put in a better effort than some of seniors did.

Mofra
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Everitt is now around the 87-88kg mark, so is putting some weight on.

Williams is the far superior athlete so may get a crack this week, Everitt seems a footballer first and for mine he could play AFL level now. If given a choice, Williams is a better athletic match-up but seemed a little out of his depth against Richmond. Everitt wouldn;t be so out of place.

There might be a chance that Matthews throws Merrett forward given we may not have a tall forward again so we could use a running tall backman.

Dry Rot
17-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Thoughts on Williams' game last night? Will he now play with us for the rest of season?

And where does this leave Wight?

Mofra
17-06-2007, 01:33 PM

Exactly where we tend to develop most of our KPP/Ruckman.
50/50 of each, not really nailing a spot in either direction, until we suck them of confidence & their form drops.
Would think he'll spend a fair portion of the rest of the year at Werribee now.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Thoughts on Williams' game last night? Will he now play with us for the rest of season?

It wasn't a great game last night be he did a couple of very nice things. A great smother and a nice spoil plus he puts himself into the contests. His greatest threat for a regular senior games is probably when Grant is ready to return. I'd like to see Williams be given a run in the forward line as well even though he is far better suited for defensive assignments at the moment.

I'm happy enough with the progress Wight has made. He played a few good games at the end of last season plus has performed well this season. I don't think he will ever be a star player but someone who can fill a number of positions including defence, forwards and a few runs in the ruck. Great player to have on the bench because he can also match-up on smaller opponents.

southerncross
17-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Exactly where we tend to develop most of our KPP/Ruckman.
50/50 of each, not really nailing a spot in either direction, until we suck them of confidence & their form drops.
Would think he'll spend a fair portion of the rest of the year at Werribee now.

Thats not a bad thing for Wight either but I think he will be given a couple of more chances in the senior team.

LostDoggy
17-06-2007, 02:58 PM
In the Williams v Wight I think Williams wins atm because he reads it better.

Maybe Wight needs to spend 2 years on the Winch machine?

Twodogs
19-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Again with the winching machine.

You're obsessed.

LostDoggy
19-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Again with the winching machine.

You're obsessed.

Well I've had the wench, nows its time for a winch

Dry Rot
21-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Well I've had the wench, nows its time for a winch

Is that a brand of penicillin?

Bulldog Revolution
21-06-2007, 01:14 PM
In the Williams v Wight I think Williams wins atm because he reads it better.

Maybe Wight needs to spend 2 years on the Winch machine?

Look I know I am going to come off like a nerd here - because there was the potential to make comments about wenches

However:

the issue with Williams just seems to be that he has very good core strength - hes a strong kid, and thats where Wight and Everitt are not at yet. Everitt has had a very promising debut VFL season when you consider his career has already far eclipsed what recent draft picks Tiller, Wells, MWest and perhaps even TWalsh etc

mjp
21-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Everitt has had a very promising debut VFL season when you consider his career has already far eclipsed what recent draft picks Tiller, Wells, MWest and perhaps even TWalsh etc

First round pick from the TAC cup vs late round picks from Division 2 states. No mystery there really.

Walsh has barely got on the park since getting to the club.

Bulldog Revolution
21-06-2007, 01:59 PM
First round pick from the TAC cup vs late round picks from Division 2 states. No mystery there really.

Walsh has barely got on the park since getting to the club.

Wells was almost a first round pick at selection 22 (in what looks to be a very strong draft), and admittedly Tiller and MWest were late picks but they've had more time on the list

Even before his injuries with us I am not sure that Walsh showed as much at VFL level as Everitt has, although Walsh played predominantly up forward.

I think the boy Andrejs deserves credit for a good year

mjp
21-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Wells was almost a first round pick at selection 22 (in what looks to be a very strong draft), and admittedly Tiller and MWest were late picks but they've had more time on the list

Wells = Division 2 player. I guess my point was that he was a total projection...Players coming out of the Division 1 programs, and Vic Metro in particular are subjected to a lot, lot more scrutiny than those from elsewhere...it might not be right, but it is what happens.

I think the boy Andrejs deserves credit for a good year

Agree. I guess I was just saying that MY expectations were higher of Everitt than of the others, who I saw as projects. Everitt and Higgins were basically the same pick - Everitt in the so-called super draft. I expect him to play AFL footy this year - I didn't expect Tiller to play AFL footy this year, his 3rd at the club!