PDA

View Full Version : Our opponents next week: Lions

Dry Rot
05-06-2007, 03:05 PM
How do you rate them? Seem to have gone off the boil lately.

Aside from Brown what are their greater strengths against us? IIRC their ruck division is pretty good.

4GIVME
05-06-2007, 07:27 PM
don't think the lions are a good side at all although in saying that they are tough at home and i can't help but think on recent form we are gonna struggle up there.

southerncross
05-06-2007, 07:31 PM
don't think the lions are a good side at all although in saying that they are tough at home and i can't help but think on recent form we are gonna struggle up there.

Their midfield is brilliant though. Black, Power, Hadley and Lappin could really cause us some problems.

bornadog
05-06-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't really rate them, but as Southercross said, they still have the basis of a good midfield that can cause some damage if they get it up to Broiwn quickly. Their backline is very inexperienced so we should be able to kick a big score, but we need to make sure we have the right attitude and endeavour to nail this one.

Go_Dogs
06-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't rule out some of their younger guys having a meaningful impact too, a few of them have come along in leaps an bounds, and although they haven't been ultra consistent, can do enough to impact on the game. Power and Johnson are out for the Lions though as I understand it, so that helps us a lot if that is the case.

bornadog
06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Found this on the Lions Official website, thought it may be an interesting read.

Forward scout: dissecting the Dogs
9:17 AM Wed 6 June, 2007 | Back

By Simon White

for lions.com.au

News

THE CLUB
Formed: 1883
Joined AFL: 1925
Premierships: one - 1954
Last finals appearance: 2006, 1st semi-final.

2006 at a glance:
Tipped as the season’s big improvers following a barnstorming finish to 2005, the Bulldogs proved just that, ending the home-and-away season in eighth spot with 13 wins – a tally that would have been good enough for fifth the year before. The Dogs had two four-game winning streaks in the season proper and thumped Collingwood in the elimination final, before getting a footballing lesson in the first semi-final from West Coast.

2007 to date:
After their impressive 2006, the run-and-gun Dogs were tagged the Victorian-team-most-likely headed into 2007. Bulldogs fans, therefore, could be forgiven for scratching their heads at present. Rodney Eade’s side sits at 5-5 in ninth spot, having beaten Geelong and Collingwood but also having lost to an undermanned St Kilda and, on the weekend, to lowly Carlton.

The coach:
Another of Lions coach Leigh Matthews’ Hawthorn teammates to make the coaching grade, Rodney Eade has proved himself adept at coaching two different styles of football. At the Sydney Swans, between 1996 and 2002, it was largely about grinding out results and capitalising on the talents of Tony Lockett. With the Bulldogs, Eade has made the most of a list big on run, speed and skill but short on big, key-position bodies.

Missing in action:
The Bulldogs have few worries on the injury front, with talented forward Robert Murphy a chance to resume from a hamstring strain – he’s listed for a test. Club games record-holder Chris Grant will return from his abdominal problem through the VFL, while utility Brett Montgomery has retired.

The gun:
Scott West has been so incredibly and consistently good in his 14-and-a-bit years as a Bulldog that his 16 disposals against Sydney a fortnight ago – an okay tally for most midfielders – was considered way below par. Has an uncanny knack for finding the football, as indicated by a season average of 28.6 touches per game, and usually uses it to good effect too. Twice a Brownlow Medal runner-up, five times an All-Australian; he will present a big job for at least one Lion.

The bolter:
There are few better advertisements for the rookie system than Dale Morris, who missed being drafted in 2000, spent four years at the Bulldogs’ VFL affiliate Werribee and was finally rookie listed in late 2004. Since then he’s played 41 games, represented Australia in International Rules and last week kept Carlton’s Coleman Medal favourite Brendan Fevola to one goal for the second game in a row. Unlikely to get Jonathan Brown, but a possible minder for several other Lions forwards – tall or small.

Strengths:
Run, run, run and then more run. The statistic commentators most like to quote in reference to the Bulldogs is the running bounce – the likes of Jordan McMahon and Lindsay Gilbee are experts at carrying the ball at pace and delivering with precision. West is an elite midfielder, skipper Brad Johnson is a uniquely talented marking small forward and Brian Harris is an underrated defender who backs himself in aerial contests. The Bulldogs are the kind of side that doesn’t mind a shootout, as evidenced by their high-scoring 2005 and 2006 wins over the Lions.

Weaknesses:
The Bulldogs may have won a shootout or two, but they are by no means invincible in goal-fests, as Carlton showed last week. The Dogs can run as much as they like – if they can’t stop mid-sized defenders marking hopeful high punts (ie Matthew Lappin), they will give up plenty of points at the other end. Rodney Eade’s side also has a dearth of big forwards and, apart from Harris, a lack of backline gorillas. West Coast’s 74-point demolition of the Bulldogs in last year’s first semi-final was a clinic in hardness around the contest and 120-minute intensity. Same goes for the loss to Sydney a fortnight ago.

The Queensland factor:
No surprises here – ex-Lion Jason Akermanis is the most high-profile Quenslander on a Sunshine State-flavoured list that also includes Mitch Hahn, Paul O’Shea, Tom Williams and the rookie-listed Jarrod Harbrow, Marty Pask and Michael West. Travis Baird played two games for the Lions as an elevated rookie in 2005.

dog town
07-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Did anyone else really enjoy seeing Cooney back spending time in the midfield. I think he gets a bit stale when he is stuck up forward all the time. In all the doom and gloom of last week his great game got lost a bit. Had 11 clearances and was at his explosive best. I hope we leave him in the middle this week.

Brisbane strike me as a side that has tired a bit as the season has gone on. They have some young blokes who are a little inconsistent and a game plan that can be a little predictable. They will get numbers back all the time and can be hard to penetrate. I will be incredibly dissapointed if we lose to them because they should really know that we need to bring our A game this week.

I suspect that Eade would have loved to have Grant available this week so that he could play one of Harris or Grant loose to help out on Brown but Harris is in good enough form to get the job done.

bornadog
07-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Did anyone else really enjoy seeing Cooney back spending time in the midfield. .

I thought Cooney was sensational and really had the chance to win the game for us but his shots for goal were really pathetic, especially the last one when the game was in the balance. But despite that I loved watching him burst out from the clearances, it makes a differtence when the ruckman is pushing the ball down your throat.

southerncross
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
I thought Cooney was sensational and really had the chance to win the game for us but his shots for goal were really pathetic, especially the last one when the game was in the balance. But despite that I loved watching him burst out from the clearances, it makes a difference when the ruckman is pushing the ball down your throat.

It was bittersweet really. It was great to see him dominating around the middle but as you say he wasn't wearing his goal kicking boots. When it all clicks he is seriously a very exciting player.

Mantis
08-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Game will be won or lost in the midfield. Need to lockdown on there 'A' grade midfielders in Power, Black and Lappin. If we can limit the effect these 3 have on the game we should be ok. Need to use the ball better, cut down on our turnovers and make smarter decisons with the ball.

Will we turn up to play, will we run to crete an option, run to harrass the ball carrier, run to help your mate, share the ball, play as a team? Lets hope so.

We need to have a better defensive aspect to our game this week. Playing these shoot-out style games with the lower ranked teams are fought with danger as we found out last week.

And finally on Cooney, I would expect that Selwood would go to him, Selwood is a very good run with player, we need Conney to show that he can handle close attention and still have an impact on the game. When a player plays him tight it is like he admits defeat, he is going to cop close attention throughout his career and needs to find a way to deal with it.

Sockeye Salmon
08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Game will be won or lost in the midfield. Need to lockdown on there 'A' grade midfielders in Power, Black and Lappin. If we can limit the effect these 3 have on the game we should be ok. Need to use the ball better, cut down on our turnovers and make smarter decisons with the ball.

Will we turn up to play, will we run to crete an option, run to harrass the ball carrier, run to help your mate, share the ball, play as a team? Lets hope so.

We need to have a better defensive aspect to our game this week. Playing these shoot-out style games with the lower ranked teams are fought with danger as we found out last week.

And finally on Cooney, I would expect that Selwood would go to him, Selwood is a very good run with player, we need Conney to show that he can handle close attention and still have an impact on the game. When a player plays him tight it is like he admits defeat, he is going to cop close attention throughout his career and needs to find a way to deal with it.
Power's not playing. That's a good thing.

Brisbane have only named one ruckman so they can't really push Charman forward without using Clark in the ruck, which other than giving Charman a rest defeats the purpose.

Williams is a good match-up for Clark so there's a realistic chance he'll play most of the game.

mjp
08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Clark = Doogs. (Well, a version of Doogs who cant kick).

Mantis
08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Clark = Doogs. (Well, a version of Doogs who cant kick).

Cant be Doogs, as coaches dont play Doogs types. Atleast they are willing to play the kid.

Go_Dogs
08-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Cooney was great last week, getting pretty excited about he might offer as the season moves on.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
I agree with what Liam Pickering said last night that Johhno is going to be a hard matchup for Brisbane.. and with Murphy coming in, I also think they both are going to cause the Lions headaches both on the lead - Murphy and overhead- Johnno.
Again like Liam Pickering pointed out It will be interesting to see if Harris goes allows Brown to roam and take marks 70 metres out, as he did against Hall at Canberra. Or if Brisbane will try and use Brown to outmuscle Harris closer to goal.
A great test for Harris if it's the latter.. A big win to the Dogs if Brown goes up forward, allowing Harris to be the spare defender to drift across and spoil or mark.

Raw Toast
08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Did anyone else really enjoy seeing Cooney back spending time in the midfield. I think he gets a bit stale when he is stuck up forward all the time. In all the doom and gloom of last week his great game got lost a bit. Had 11 clearances and was at his explosive best. I hope we leave him in the middle this week.

Good call, I really enjoyed Cooney's work in the middle. I actually got a bit worried when he kicked his goal though -somehow seemed v arrogant, not saying it was his fault, but they fired up and we took it a bit for granted. Agree with Mantis that Selwood is likely to take him, be a good test and I'd like us to give him a chance to break the tag even if he struggles initially.

I suspect that Eade would have loved to have Grant available this week so that he could play one of Harris or Grant loose to help out on Brown but Harris is in good enough form to get the job done.

I reckon that Williams will have instructions to be the third man up if Brown is played deep. Needs to be careful though because if they then direct play through Williams' opponent he might get caught out.

I'm interested to see who'll be put back to give us run - I think Ackermanis, Cooney and Harbrow are all chances to spend a bit of time in defence.

Looking forward to the duel between West and Black. West's smashed him a few times lately but Black has got his form up this season.

Be interesting to see if Matthews sees if they can outrun us or if he just tries to shut the game down. Interesting that they brought Allan back in who did well in the Hobbit Cup against us, surely we'll shut him down this time.

Go_Dogs
08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
I agree with what Liam Pickering said last night that Johhno is going to be a hard matchup for Brisbane..

I hope Matthews gives Patfull a crack in defence on Johnno, could be a good match up.