PDA

View Full Version : Lynch, Stack & Hill

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I am really excited about our newly drafted trio of indigenous kids and would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others here as to which one of the three you think will make the first leap to AFL level player and in what role you envisage for them as they mature.
For mine I think Lynch will be the first to step up and can foresee him being a very handy addition in a forward pocket. I think as Higgins fitness allows him to move into a midfied role in coming years Lynch's goal scoring prowess will be a handy addition.

Dry Rot
08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Any reports from Bees watchers on them?

IIRC one is a bit taller?

GVGjr
08-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Three exciting but long term prospects.

Hill is a smooth mover and reads the play so well. He is a good size.
Lynch is the quickest and coule the the Aaron Davey of our team down the track. Applies defensive pressure even when he doesn't have the ball.
Stack has a huge leap and I think he is still growing. The other week he went for a huge mark.

I suppose we should add Harbrow to this list as well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Three exciting but long term prospects.

Hill is a smooth mover and reads the play so well. He is a good size.
Lynch is the quickest and coule the the Aaron Davey of our team down the track. Applies defensive pressure even when he doesn't have the ball.
Stack has a huge leap and I think he is still growing. The other week he went for a huge mark.

I suppose we should add Harbrow to this list as well.

Yep, the only reason I left him out was that he's already has made it to the main stage. But having said that he's only really shown a glimpse of what he has to offer in the future, so still fits the query as to where he, along with the other 3 will best make their mark in the seaons to come in our team.

bornadog
09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Any reports from Bees watchers on them?

IIRC one is a bit taller?

Josh Hill is the tallest one, played a pretty good game today, took a specky, kicked a goal, moves beautifully. I was impressed with Lynch as well, he played well , set up some goals, kicked one and put some pressure on the Geelong backline. Ran out of legs towards the end. Hill seemed to play on the backline as well as the forward line, looks like a skinny Franklin the way he moves.

Mofra
10-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Lynch might debut first, but Hill is the one I'm watching.

Unbelieveable leap, all class, chases well, will be a gun.

Haven't seen enough of Stack to comment.

southerncross
10-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Lynch might debut first, but Hill is the one I'm watching.

Unbelieveable leap, all class, chases well, will be a gun.

Haven't seen enough of Stack to comment.

Hill is very classy but I think he will be a steady developer and shouldn't play senior football this season.

Stack has a great leap.

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I am really excited about our newly drafted trio of indigenous kids and would be interested in hearing the thoughts of others here as to which one of the three you think will make the first leap to AFL level player and in what role you envisage for them as they mature.
For mine I think Lynch will be the first to step up and can foresee him being a very handy addition in a forward pocket. I think as Higgins fitness allows him to move into a midfied role in coming years Lynch's goal scoring prowess will be a handy addition.

What height* is each and what position do you think they'll eventually play?

*I'm not being slack, that stupid club web site doesn't work on my Mac.

bornadog
10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
What height* is each and what position do you think they'll eventually play?

*I'm not being slack, that stupid club web site doesn't work on my Mac.

Josh Hill
Fast Facts
Jumper No: 31
Height: 186cm
Weight: 72kg
DOB: 19/01/1989
Recruited From: Claremont

Brennan Stack
Fast Facts
Jumper No: 33
Height: 184cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 26/05/1988
Recruited From:

They may put on a couple more cm's but they are not tall.

You can aslo find player stats on www.footywire.com

Dry Rot
10-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks. Presume they'll end up being flankers? or midfielders?

Presume Lynch or Harbrow are marked down for the Davey style role.

bornadog
10-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks. Presume they'll end up being flankers? or midfielders?

Presume Lynch or Harbrow are marked down for the Davey style role.

I think your right, I can see Harbrow in the midfield in a few years time, a bit like what Davey is starting to do this year. I see Hill has only turned 18 this year so he will need a lot more developing, don't know much about Stack and lynch will also start off in Davey type of role.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 12:17 AM
Lynch is the most in the aaron davey mould from what ive seen

Hill looks like if he keeps growing will be a tallish forward option = perhaps a bit like a brent staker type - he certainly looks good overhead but he is ludicrously skinny at this stage

I am hoping Harbrow can develop into a rover type, but half forward is his go at the minute

Go_Dogs
11-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Stack is like S. Burgoyne apparently... good motor, good speed, strength, knows where the goals are... and I'd like to see him developed in the same way, play forward to start with, then back, then midfield. Lynch and Hill appear to be more forward types who could eventually push into the midfield as their motors increase. Harbrow another who seems destined for the midfield too, but probably won't happen for any of them for a few more years yet. Expect a couple of them to play the majority of senior games next year.

Bulldog Revolution
11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Lynch was terrific in the VFL yesterday - looks a very likely type and I expect he will get an opportunity before the year is out in the AFL. He seemed to be playing the role of half forward similar to Harbrow did in the VFL team before promoted.

Hill looks a long way off physically - I wouldn't necessarily even be expecting him to play AFL next season given his build, but he is also a good mover

Go_Dogs
12-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Regarding Stack, I haven't heard that comparison before M#23. Stack appears to be more of a marking type than a pure runner.

Interesting. Perhaps I'm getting him confused with someone else. Just something that I remember reading a while ago. Certainly does have good speed though, didn't he test fastest at the state screening over 20m?

Mantis
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
First time I had seen Hill play on Saturday, boy is a he smooth mover or what. Has to put on some size, but has heaps of natural ability. Moves well over the ground in a loping style and has a great spring. Lynch was a bit quiet, but has a touch of class, he's tap over his head in the second qtr to gather was freakish.

Mofra
14-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Hill is very classy but I think he will be a steady developer and shouldn't play senior football this season.
I'm certain he wont. Wont do much in the seniors next year either, but he could well be the pick of the bunch.

He's the sort of player you'd invest a few years in confident of a good reward, every time I see him he has that x-factor that is more than just a goalsneak - he will kick goal of the year one day.

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Regarding Stack, I haven't heard that comparison before M#23. Stack appears to be more of a marking type than a pure runner.

After watching his VFL senior debut on Saturday I thought the player he most reminded me of was Daniel Wells - he had some issues on debut struggled to keep his feet and has a lot to learn but he was a junior wells for my money

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Stack and Wells actually is not a bad comparison.

From what I have seen - albeit very little - Stack seems to take longish strides, similiar to Wells, rather than the short steps of an Aaron Davey, or even two of our own in Lynch & Harbrow.

He needs to keep his feet more, but from the little I did see, he looked OK. No doubt he'll improve over the weeks.

Lynch & Harbrow are two beauties. They're going to cause teams a LOT of trouble in 3-4 years time when they're 23/24 years old.

Hill looks very classy. Seen him a few times now, and he does look a gem. Really smooth mover, but he has some pace too. Good leap, good hands and good skills. Still learning the game - the pace and the intensity of it - but he looks impressive, as many have already highlighted.

One thing, though, Hill looks like he may need to work on is his attack on the ball/player. He lacks a bit of aggression/intensity at the contest. Might well be because he's so young and raw, but it's about the only thing at this stage that I could pick out and question.

Funny thing is about it all, when we drafted these kids, there was an uproar on Big Footy about not drafting Sellar and other players, and picking all very young and very skinny midfielders. Halfway through the season, and anybody involved with the Club in any shape or form is jumping up and down about how good these kids are, how quickly they're improving, and how good they're going to be in 3-5 years time. This could well be one of our BEST drafts, and at the time, people were calling it as one of the worst.

Clayton is head and shoulders above the rest.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Meanwhile Sellar is struggling in the SANFL reserves...haha.

southerncross
18-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Meanwhile Sellar is struggling in the SANFL reserves...haha.

He's been injured though and missed a lot of footy.

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Only time will tell if they become what all we watchers see in them, but no one can suggest that we havent picked exciting players. When did we last have two players picked as low in the National draft or Rookie draft that have earned places in the AFL side?

They have progressed so quickly that they have eclipsed Pask and Hughes who were picked as ready made back ups for the senior team.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2007, 11:36 PM
They have progressed so quickly that they have eclipsed Pask and Hughes who were picked as ready made back ups for the senior team.

They're not the only two they've over taken.

Power & Robbins, two regulars last season, have also been overtaken along with a number of others.

It's a huge credit to both players.

Dry Rot
18-06-2007, 11:46 PM
They're not the only two they've over taken.

Power & Robbins, two regulars last season, have also been overtaken along with a number of others.

It's a huge credit to both players.

Good point. What does this say for the future of Robbins and Power?

LostDoggy
19-06-2007, 10:49 AM
I don't think you can say Stack has overtaken Power or Robbins yet. 1 game so far and likely to be replaced this week or the next.

The thing is I prefer to pick him instead of Power because he is younger and if you are going to be soft then at least be quick.

southerncross
19-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't think you can say Stack has overtaken Power or Robbins yet. 1 game so far and likely to be replaced this week or the next.

The thing is I prefer to pick him instead of Power because he is younger and if you are going to be soft then at least be quick.

I think you are a bit harsh on Power and it's hardly like Power is old. I'd like to see us stick with him as a HBF and see how he performs.

Stack is a fair way off at the moment.

Mantis
19-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Good point. What does this say for the future of Robbins and Power?

You would think that both are going to struggle to stay on the list past this season. Robbins is 30 and looks to have been passed by several players now. Power has now played 77 and is 24 and should be a regular player by now. Has never really found a position or really adjusted to AFL footy. He still looks timid and lacks the confidence required. Both still will be handy back-ups for us.

It will be intersesting to see what happens in the post season, we have quite a few in similair positions in that they are not quite up to it, but provide us with some depth. Will they get rid of all of these, who knows?

Mantis
19-06-2007, 11:27 AM
I think you are a bit harsh on Power and it's hardly like Power is old. I'd like to see us stick with him as a HBF and see how he performs.

Stack is a fair way off at the moment.

Our back 6 on the weekend was probably our best for the year. We had a good mix and it worked quite well, our midfield and forwards still allowed too many inside 50's, but I thought they coped reasonably well. With Harris and Williams as the talls, Morris and Hargrave as the medium sized defenders and Gilbee and McMahon as the smalls we have all bases covered, plus they can all run off there opponents. Power is competing with Morris and Hargrave for a spot as a medium sized defender and both are much better in there roles compared to Power. Would think that Everitt and Power are the 2 back-ups for these guys, possibly Everitt might have snuck in front of Power with his good form of recent time.

Dry Rot
19-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Our back 6 on the weekend was probably our best for the year. We had a good mix and it worked quite well,

So Grant plays forward when he returns?

Bulldog Revolution
19-06-2007, 12:10 PM
You would think that both are going to struggle to stay on the list past this season. Robbins is 30 and looks to have been passed by several players now. Power has now played 77 and is 24 and should be a regular player by now. Has never really found a position or really adjusted to AFL footy.

I've always tended to be on SouthernCross's side of the fence and said eventually he will get there - we've seen glimpses Essendon late last year and St Kilda at the dome this year, but just when I think hes got it together he misses a 35metre goal roughly straight in front and it disappoints me.

SCross - do you think he is a half back flanker?

They tend to drag him back to the goal square whenever he is played there, and hes struggled with that

southerncross
19-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I've always tended to be on SouthernCross's side of the fence and said eventually he will get there - we've seen glimpses Essendon late last year and St Kilda at the dome this year, but just when I think hes got it together he misses a 35metre goal roughly straight in front and it disappoints me.

SCross - do you think he is a half back flanker?

They tend to drag him back to the goal square whenever he is played there, and hes struggled with that

He has peformed well as a HFF but being starved of opportunities on occassions hurts him.

Most of our players like McMahon and Gilbee have struggled when dragged back to the goal square and I agree that it's a weakness of Powers.

He is a frustrating player in that he should be a lot further advanced than he is but I haven't written him off. I suppose I would like to see him settled down in one position and across half back is where I think he could play at his best.

Mantis
19-06-2007, 12:47 PM
So Grant plays forward when he returns?

Would think so. I would think he will start most games on the bench and will be used to plug gaps as they arise. He will play mainly as a tall forward when Darcy is in the ruck, dont think we can play both Grant and Darcy in the forwardline at the same time, just not mobile enough. If we are struggling in defence Grant can be used as a spare man or perhaps on a resting ruck type. There is no doubt Grant has dropped a bit of pace so we can't allow him to pick up an unsuitable match-up in defence as he will get found out, but his footy smarts and courage will allow him to play a role for us.