PDA

View Full Version : Tigers in dire need of extra help from AFL

The Coon Dog
08-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Jake Niall - The Age - 8 April

IN THEORY, the expansion of the competition will hurt all 16 clubs, which will lose players to the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney. In theory, the pain will be spread more or less evenly, as the new teams pick the eyes, ears and vital organs out of the 2010 and 2011 drafts, leaving only scraps for the rest.

In reality, the Richmond Football Club, the least successful club in the competition over the past quarter century, stands to be the biggest loser from expansion. It is a situation that ought to concern the AFL, which should be more mindful of the impact of expansion on the weak than the strong.

The Richmond administration must approach the AFL soon and argue the case that, as the foremost victim of expansion, it is entitled to compensation. The AFL ought to lend a sympathetic ear.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-in-dire-need-of-extra-help-from-afl-20100407-rs5g.html)

What a load of old cobblers! Anyone would think he's ghosting for Caroline Wilson!

chef
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
What a load of old cobblers!

Agree, they've had 25 years to get it right.

"Realistically, how can the AFL salve the Tigers' wounds? It cannot give them an extra pick, since it has committed those choices to the new teams.

Allowing the Tigers to sign uncontracted players, a year or two before free agency, is one possibility. But a far better form of assistance would be to allow Richmond access to the best 16-year-old in the land at the end of 2010, or the best 17-year-old in 2011. In effect, it would be given a No 1 pick one or two years in advance".

This bit really gave me the shits, they are in this mess from there own arrogant/short sighted design.

mjp
08-04-2010, 08:36 AM
On the other hand, Richmond have some high draft picks from the last few years running around - Geelong for example dont. Over the next 3-5 seasons, these guys should become elite players, whilst all of the Geelong 'stars' will be finishing up/declining...

It isn't all gloom for Richmond.

Go_Dogs
08-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Agreed.

Pretty short-sighted article I would have thought.

Whilst Kangaroos have drafted exceptionally well over the past few years (which should hold them in good stead), they are a side that has less high picks than Richmond over the past 5 years, and will probably struggle over the short term much like Richmond - they'd be more fitting for handouts I would think.

ledge
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Actually its not a player issue its more the terrible upper chiefs they have that have caused the mess.
Demetriou will not help teams who do not help themselves.
Clubs that struggle because of their own silly decisions why should he help them?
For Richmond to move on March and his board have to go in my opinion.
Carlton have gone through a few boards and still dont have a good one either.

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2010, 11:53 AM
On the other hand, Richmond have some high draft picks from the last few years running around - Geelong for example dont. Over the next 3-5 seasons, these guys should become elite players, whilst all of the Geelong 'stars' will be finishing up/declining...

In 3-5 seasons they will still be Richmond.

The Coon Dog
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
In 3-5 seasons they will still be Richmond.

Gee, I was waiting for you to come in off the long run on this one; disappointed SS.

mighty_west
08-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Richmond have had many opportunities to "get it right", had some very good picks in the draft, the 5 picks in the top 30 in 2005?

Some terrible trading as well, why on earth would a young team clearly so far away from any success recruit a 30 year old with major issues?

Then there is the McMahon / Ward case, again, a quick fix, but for an outside mid with next to no defensive skills, you don't build Premiersip sides around those types, especially when you already buggered up with Tambling, pick number 3, Harbrow was a rookie, yet has so far been alot more impressive, and loves the tough stuff as well.

JON is another waste of a pick, and i believe i heard right on SEN that not one of their recruiting staff watched JON play live [surely that couldn't have been the case], i reckon someones pulling someone's leg there.

Deledio imo would have established himself as alot better player at another club, that said, they seem to have a good midfield develping, but with next to no depth there - Cotchin, Deledio, Martin & Foley, you need more than that, Tambling as an outside player, just doesn't hurt, and is VERY suspect kicking at goal.

Thursfield looks ok, but he has some real spuds working alongside him down back, Post looks good up forward, Reiwoldt also, but they're flankers, not KPP's.

Vickory should develop into a decent ruck [3-4 years], Symmonds is cooked, who else do they have?

They definatly should not get help from the AFL what so ever, they have buggered things up for themselves, most of it due to their last coach, they will just have to "suck it up", look at mature players, trade very well, otherwise they could be a long way off.

Remi Moses
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
SPARE ME jake Niall. What I don't get is Tiger fans moaning about lack of money in recruiting yet our club [Hardly flashed for cash] have managed to recruit well. No sympathy for coaches who've recruited quick fix as Wallace and Frawley did

mjp
08-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Post looks good up forward, Reiwoldt also, but they're flankers, not KPP's.

Posty must be 195cm - if that isn't a kpp I dont know what is.

Add Jackson and Connors to the midfield...player for player they are not that bad. They have completely changed systems - bad for young players - and have very little leadership (on-field). Hardwick strikes me as a negative kind of guy who will be trying to control everything - that will also ramp up the pressure.

I didn't think they were without hope last weekend - the issues of extra concessions is a nonsense...they just need to decide on a style of play and develop their talented kids.

But then, isn't that what every side needs to do?

Cyberdoggie
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Very true.

Brisbane took a few years to rebuild then they managed 4 GF's in a row, winning 3 and then losing the last before the core of the playing group was spent and the rebuilding had to start again.

Geelong have followed a similar trend as Brisbane and have been in the last 3 gf's.
They are probably good enough to go around again but they will start to turn over quality players very soon. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of youth coming through the cats list. Granted Selwood is still young, but the Tomahawk in my opinion isn't quite the next big thing.

With 2 new clubs coming in Geelong might be in a rebuilding phase, as might the dogs in a couple of years.

We are currently the oldest side in the comp, mostly due to Johnson, Hall, Aker Hudson and Eagle but we will need to find replacements for Murphy, Gia, Hahn, Gilbee, Lake, Hargrave pretty soon as well.

mighty_west
08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Posty must be 195cm - if that isn't a kpp I dont know what is.

Add Jackson and Connors to the midfield...player for player they are not that bad. They have completely changed systems - bad for young players - and have very little leadership (on-field). Hardwick strikes me as a negative kind of guy who will be trying to control everything - that will also ramp up the pressure.

I didn't think they were without hope last weekend - the issues of extra concessions is a nonsense...they just need to decide on a style of play and develop their talented kids.

But then, isn't that what every side needs to do?

Is he really that tall? he doesn't seem it, perhaps it's just his light build at this stage.

That said, Everitt could also be KP size, but just doesn't play at, it least at this stage anyway.

alwaysadog
08-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Tell me Jake why should anybody help them? Wasn't it yesterday that Bennie Gale and co wheeled out the next success plan. According to those oracles they are on track to win not one, but three, premierships soon. Are you saying Bennie's full of shit?

I feel sorry for the poor Tigres, I really do, they can't help it if their management has been and remains inept, yet after so many years of failure they can still make people believe in an alternative universe.

If they are happy there my advice is don't disturb them, but don't ask us to contribute to the illusion or to join them.

macca
14-04-2010, 09:37 PM
in 3-5 years time, they will finish 9th... again.

choconmientay
15-04-2010, 07:12 AM
. double post .

choconmientay
15-04-2010, 07:13 AM
in 3-5 years time, they will finish 9th... again.

by then, if the AFL decided to extend the final to 10 teams ... they would be in the final then :D

westdog54
15-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Jake Niall describes Richmond as the 'foremost victim of expansion'. The only thing Richmond are a victim of is poor upper management and scapegoating. Miller and Wallace were the fall guys for chronic under-resourcing of the football department. Can anyone think of any other club that hasn't invested heavily in its training facilities and football resources over the last 10-15 years, whether by going it alone or seeking government/AFL/Donation assistance?

No, A decade of inept management is to blame here and that is the first thng that must change if any assistance is to be even considered.

And as MJP has already alluded to, there are plenty of promising youngsters on that list that simply need some development. 3 years of recruiting being compromised is the least of their worries.

bornadog
15-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Merge them with the Gold Coast:D

ledge
15-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Apparently they are merging with Collingwood, to be known as The Tiger Woods and be F$%#ED by everyone.

AndrewP6
15-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Apparently they are merging with Collingwood, to be known as The Tiger Woods and be F$%#ED by everyone.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D :D :D

Needed a good laugh, and that provided it.