PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett calls for 17-round season

The Coon Dog
22-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Michael Warner - Herald Sun - 22 April

HAWTHORN president Jeff Kennett has called on the AFL to cut the home-and-away season to 17 rounds.

Responding to revelations next year's Grand Final could be held in October to accommodate a 24-week fixture, Kennett said yesterday it was time to create a more "pure" competition.

Kennett wants the Grand Final returned to the last Saturday in September in 2012 and a season where the then 18 teams, after the addition of Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, would play each other only once.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-president-jeff-kennett-calls-for-17-round-season/story-e6frf9ix-1225856627083)

* I particularly agree with this:

"The trouble with it now is that someone makes a decision on who plays who twice. And that's a human decision that does put some vagaries into the system, which I don't think leads to as pure an outcome".

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 09:26 AM
I liked the model floated in this mornings Advertiser for the 18 side competition.

2 x 9 team conferences.

Play each team in your conference home and away, and then play each club from the other conference once, making it a 25 match season.

Seems fair and equitable, so most likely won't happen.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Hello Jeff, what about the TV rights, less games less money.

I do agree that there should not be the human factor hand picking who play who. The number of games is the real debate.

I do not like the conference system at all.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I do not like the conference system at all.

I agree that it's a bit different, but I'm just not convinced that any of the other ideas floated about how to establish a fair and equitable draw for an 18 side competition is going to work, unless they make it a 17 match H&A season, which seems just a bit too short for mine.

hujsh
22-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Grand Final in October? Who'd want that?

bornadog
22-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree that it's a bit different, but I'm just not convinced that any of the other ideas floated about how to establish a fair and equitable draw for an 18 side competition is going to work, unless they make it a 17 match H&A season, which seems just a bit too short for mine.

Its pretty easy.

First work out how many rounds you want per season, but it should be no less than the current 22 rounds. Lets assume its still 22 rounds. Then every one plays each other once with the remaining games pulled out of a hat. What is wrong with that?

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 11:53 AM
bornadog, they (AFL) don't want it to be fair. They want the Wobbles and Bombers to play twice every season, they want the local derbies twice in each state.

Even if we went to 17 games, how do you determine who gets the home game in a given year. What if the Doggies got unlucky 1 year and had to go to Perth twice while let's say the Hawks happen to not have to travel to Perth once?

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I liked the model floated in this mornings Advertiser for the 18 side competition.

2 x 9 team conferences.

Play each team in your conference home and away, and then play each club from the other conference once, making it a 25 match season.

Seems fair and equitable, so most likely won't happen.

Yep, 10 Melbourne teams in one and the eight interstate including GC and Western Sydney in the other.

The Melbourne Clubs play one another twice as do the Interstate Teams and then the winners play off.

But the winner of the Interstate conference has to call itself Fitzroy for the Grand Final:D

bornadog
22-04-2010, 12:46 PM
bornadog, they (AFL) don't want it to be fair. They want the Wobbles and Bombers to play twice every season, they want the local derbies twice in each state.

Even if we went to 17 games, how do you determine who gets the home game in a given year. What if the Doggies got unlucky 1 year and had to go to Perth twice while let's say the Hawks happen to not have to travel to Perth once?

yep, thats what they want.

The luck of the draw, however, everyone must play equal home games.

chef
22-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Its pretty easy.

First work out how many rounds you want per season, but it should be no less than the current 22 rounds. Lets assume its still 22 rounds. Then every one plays each other once with the remaining games pulled out of a hat. What is wrong with that?

I'd prefer a rolling fixture where you play in the same order every time and start the next season where you finished off the previous one, if that makes sense.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd prefer a rolling fixture where you play in the same order every time and start the next season where you finished off the previous one, if that makes sense.

Yep that sounds fair, but we know the AFL isnot fair

chef
22-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Yep that sounds fair, but we know the AFL isnot fair

Yep, money is going to dictate their decision.

alwaysadog
29-04-2010, 09:40 AM

That's how it once was, when we had an 18 round season. Then we went to 22 so all 12 teams could play each other twice. Then we .... got so smart we confused even ourselves.

Don't whatever you do, tell the AFL the past couldn't be better than their over- tinkered present... just think of the smart-arses involved in creating the micro managed overly complex present that would be unemployed if they adopted the KISS principle.

When faced with a question of more or less confusion the AFL can't help itself, they just add more complexity that leads to more confusion in an apparently never ending spiral.

Besides there is safety in confusion because when questioned it can always be replaced with further confusion.

I hope I've confused you.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2010, 10:14 AM
That's how it once was, when we had an 18 round season. Then we went to 22 so all 12 teams could play each other twice. Then we .... got so smart we confused even ourselves.

Don't whatever you do, tell the AFL the past couldn't be better than their over- tinkered present... just think of the smart-arses involved in creating the micro managed overly complex present that would be unemployed if they adopted the KISS principle.

When faced with a question of more or less confusion the AFL can't help itself, they just add more complexity that leads to more confusion in an apparently never ending spiral.

Besides there is safety in confusion because when questioned it can always be replaced with further confusion.

I hope I've confused you.

You're just a dinosaur living in the past.

Half your luck.

LostDoggy
29-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I love the idea of a 25 round season...no Nab cup and a rolling fixture, it's the only way to at least appear to be fair!! The way it is at the moment the big clubs rule the roost and we survive on scraps...lets all share in the wealth, we have a comp that is making plenty of coin and will continue to do so. Start with Anzac day next year....