PDA

View Full Version : Round 9 games

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Well after watching tonight, Geelong are clearly the benchmark.

Mantis
21-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Well after watching tonight, Geelong are clearly the benchmark.

Because of the end result or the way they went about it?

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Because of the end result or the way they went about it?

The way they went about it, were challenged on numerous occasions & stood up.

Ablett had an off night, but Bartel stood up and delivered. I also think there back line is absolutely top notch, they're looking really good again this season.

Mantis
21-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Ablett had an off night, but Bartel stood up and delivered. I also think there back line is absolutely top notch, they're looking really good again this season.

Personally I thought tonight's game said more about Collingwood than it did about Geelong.

I was waiting all night for the multitude of Collingwood options to hit the scoreboard.... but alas just 3 goal-scorers.

Ozza
21-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Good to see Neon Leon go well in a big game again.

In all seriousness, I thought James Kelly was outstanding as well as Bartel obviously, and Mooney in form makes a huge difference to Geelong.

chef
21-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Personally I thought tonight's game said more about Collingwood than it did about Geelong.

I was waiting all night for the multitude of Collingwood options to hit the scoreboard.... but alas just 3 goal-scorers.

Agree. They also lack a big target in the forward 50.

LostDoggy
21-05-2010, 10:35 PM

I think it showed exactly why they will struggle in finals & why we have the past few seasons, you can have numerous amounts of goal kickers during the season for certain games. But when crunch time comes in finals, or finals type games during the season. Small forward lines just don't stand up to the task, they needed a big game from Cloke tonight & he didn't deliver.

Mooney & Pods were devastating for Geelong tonight, created tall options & breaking up packs. No one did that tonight for Collingwood, simply because they don't have anyone capable enough to do this. In big time matches, there small forward line falls down & Cloke isn't the answer.

mighty_west
21-05-2010, 10:36 PM

I agree, but it was also the end result, the way they went about it took care of the scoreboard in the end.

Just before & after half time, Collingwood were all over Geelong, had them cold, had all the momentum, but Geelong just flicked a switch, and seemed to go another gear.

From the few games i have watched Geelong play this season, they are going as well as, if not better than anytime over the past 3 years.

That said, and again, no Davis, no Cloke in the big games, at least Didak had a crack, he is another that usually goes missing.

Mantis
21-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I always think you learn more in losses than you do in wins, Collingwood have learnt tonight that:

* Wood is a gumby.

* Johnson can't kick and for that reason he shouldn't be playing.

* Davis is a serial non-performer in big games.

* O'Bree is cooked.

* Dawes isn't there yet.

* In big games every one in your team has to be able to kick a goal from 40m - Ball & Macaffer can't.

Who else would like to add to this list?

BulldogBelle
21-05-2010, 10:55 PM
* Playing the flanks is the long way home.

anfo27
21-05-2010, 10:55 PM
I thought Cloke had a very good first quarter but once Taylor was moved off him he went out of the game. Cloke is also so predictable when he gets the ball, loves to boot it long but to who?
Dawes was disappointing, got his hands on a few balls but couldn't hold on to them.

Heath Shaw is over rated, turns the ball over and gives away too many silly free kicks. I thought the pies did well but when Geelong lifted the pies couldn't find that extra gear.

That Varcoe is such a smooth mover. The cats are the team to beat.

anfo27
21-05-2010, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;154014]
* Davis is a serial non-performer in big games.

We talk about shaggy cashing in all of his credits but Leon wouldn't have many credits left. He has not played one decent game this year and should really be dropped.

Mantis
21-05-2010, 11:03 PM
We talk about shaggy cashing in all of his credits but Leon wouldn't have many credits left. He has not played one decent game this year and should really be dropped.

Averaging just 12.4 disposals this year.

I know disposal amounts aren't the be all and end all, but Tom Williams is averaging 12.4 per game this season.

comrade
21-05-2010, 11:08 PM

Constantly peeling off your opponent and running forward of the play can be effective against mid-low range teams; against the better teams, you will get hurt the other way.

The Coon Dog
22-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Seriously, how bad were those set shot misses by McCaffer in the last quarter. 2 shots from 30 metres out, minimal angle & both nearly hit the point post! :eek:

Go_Dogs
22-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Seriously, how bad were those set shot misses by McCaffer in the last quarter. 2 shots from 30 metres out, minimal angle & both nearly hit the point post! :eek:

I watched the game with a Collingwood supporter, and even he had to laugh when McCaffer missed those 2 set shots. They seem to have a lot of players that I wouldn't want to rely on in crucial situations.

I always think you learn more in losses than you do in wins, Collingwood have learnt tonight that:

* Wood is a gumby.

* Johnson can't kick and for that reason he shouldn't be playing.

* In big games every one in your team has to be able to kick a goal from 40m - Ball & Macaffer can't.

Wood wasn't great last night, but did take one good grab. Blake for Geelong had a real purple patch and did some good things.

Johnson is quick, but his kicking seems to go too high and lack penetration. He also struggles to kick the ball accurately.

Watching Ball refuse to kick was fairly interesting too. I guess he's becoming a bit like Cross in that you know he will refuse to move the ball by foot if the option is much more than 35m away. He was good with his work inside, but is definitely a limited player.

mjp
22-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Pretty sure he kicked one from 50+ in the finals against Adelaide last year. He just didn't last night.

comrade
22-05-2010, 09:21 PM
The Dreamtime game is hard to watch but the Bombers are doing enough to keep Richmond at bay.

Hille has stood up in the last few weeks, and looks especially dangerous when floating forward.

Mitch Farmer is so far below AFL standard it's laughable.

chef
22-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Great game up in Darwin with the lead changing half a dozen times in the last quarter.

BulldogBelle
22-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Great game up in Darwin with the lead changing half a dozen times in the last quarter.

Yes, it was a very good game, I enjoyed watching it. Melbourne had a good lead and hung on after Port Adelaide threw everything at them in that last quarter. Had to laugh seeing Sylvia in the ruck after Jamar went off for a couple of minutes.

comrade
23-05-2010, 03:24 PM
SPOILER ALERT

The Hawks are absolutely toweling up Carlton at half time - 39 points up. Fingers crossed they can continue on with it and smash those cheating scum bags.

Yarran, Betts and Garlett have done zilch.

ledge
23-05-2010, 03:52 PM
SPOILER ALERT

The Hawks are absolutely toweling up Carlton at half time - 39 points up. Fingers crossed they can continue on with it and smash those cheating scum bags.

Yarran, Betts and Garlett have done zilch.

I have just learnt not to look at this site if im watching game delayed on telly.

comrade
23-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I have just learnt not to look at this site if im watching game delayed on telly.

Yep, would be the smart thing to do.

bornadog
23-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Nice win by Adelaide , keeps the bears at bay.

comrade
23-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Nice win by Adelaide , keeps the bears at bay.

They're cooked.

We should belt them in a few weeks.

comrade
23-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Bulldogs win, Collingwood and Carlton lose = perfect weekend of football.

chef
23-05-2010, 05:10 PM

St.Kilda losing would be the cherry on top:). Go Eagles.

comrade
23-05-2010, 05:16 PM
St.Kilda losing would be the cherry on top:). Go Eagles.

I'm watching the game and Nick Heyne is an absolute dead ringer for Shane O'Bree. About the most interesting thing about the game at this point.

chef
23-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm watching the game and Nick Heyne is an absolute dead ringer for Shane O'Bree. About the most interesting thing about the game at this point.

:DThat and McKinley, he is having a day out ATM.

comrade
23-05-2010, 06:31 PM
West Coast are a terrible football team - worst foot skills in the competition.

FlightoftheCallanWards
23-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Did u happen to just see my Facebook status or something. Freaky :p

Saints really pulling away. Least the Coasters have the breeze come the last. Not doing much it seems though

chef
23-05-2010, 07:18 PM
West Coast are a terrible football team - worst foot skills in the competition.

Their skills with their hands are no better.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 11:02 AM
One thing I noticed on the weekend watching the Demons v Power game, Jack Grimes moves/looks almost identical to Dale Morris. Their kicking actions even look incredibly similar, it was very bizarre.

LostDoggy
24-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Melbourne have been an incredible team this season. Really. All credit to Dean Bailey. I thought he was an idiot, but there seems there may have been a method to his madness/tanking after all.

Where's that "I was wrong" thread...

Go_Dogs
24-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Melbourne have been an incredible team this season. Really. All credit to Dean Bailey. I thought he was an idiot, but there seems there may have been a method to his madness/tanking after all.

:D Yes, I remember debating this with you in the pre-season. Certainly seems to have been doing the hard yards, and it's starting to pay off.

bornadog
24-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Surprised all of us. Some great young kids.