PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin announces retirement

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Has been a very good footballer.

Michelangelo Rucci
May 26, 2010

SIMON Goodwin has set the tone with his retirement as Crows captain - a decision that could create the biggest on-field transformation of the Adelaide Football Club since his arrival in the summer of `96-97.

Goodwin, 33, yesterday called his own end - 14 years after he arrived at West Lakes as a pre-season draftee while new coach Malcolm Blight mopped up a bloodletting of senior players.

Goodwin spent the past month deciding he would leave on his terms - and recalling Test cricket great Shane Warne announced his retirement with many thinking he called it early.

It leaves a template for his fellow over-30 veterans at Adelaide - in particular fan favourites Tyson Edwards, Andrew McLeod and Brett Burton - to consider, in particular the injured Burton who last week declared his want to play next season.

"I had a very clear picture on how I wanted to leave the game," said Goodwin, who was on edge about playing this season until he was chosen, for the fifth time, as an All-Australian last year. He was the only Crow in the AFL Team of the Year.

"The game is getting quicker - and I am getting older and slower.

"Ultimately, it was my decision," added Goodwin, who first bounced the thought of retirement off his wife Maggie a month ago and closed the book with coach Neil Craig on Monday.

"The timing is right for me. I wanted to go out on my terms."

Goodwin's first two seasons at Adelaide ended in premierships, the `97-98 double. His grand career will end with no more team success as the Crows struggle with a 2-7 win-loss record. This disappoints him.

But Goodwin will leave with the accolade from Craig of being the greatest Crows captain of all time.

It is the first time a senior Adelaide player has announced his intention to retire before the halfway mark of the year. Goodwin dismissed the early end to Adelaide's part in the AFL finals race - and the club's need to rethink its player list - had forced his retirement.

"The only influence it has had is the timing," said Goodwin, anticipating intense outside scrutiny of Adelaide's list. "If you are at 7-2, there is no speculation about older players - it is about finals.

"That talk (of retirements) disappears if you are winning. It is more highlighted if you are losing. But it did not impact on my decision."

Although he has marked his finish line, Goodwin says his motivation will come from starting every game as if were his last - and the one most remembered by his fans. If this theme holds - without interruption from injury - Goodwin will finish the season at 281 AFL games.

Adelaide's search for a new captain is virtually closed before it starts, the club having already embraced midfielder Nathan van Berlo as Goodwin's successor. The West Australian will be the first non-South Australian to lead the Crows.

Goodwin's statement at West Lakes yesterday was one of the finest made by a retiring Crows player.

"I made the decision with very clear thinking on how I wanted to be perceived," he said. "I wanted to be remembered as a player who played with a highly-competitive spirit and played right to the end with very high standards - not someone who crawled to the finish.

"Physically, my body feels great. Mentally, I still have the desire to compete at the highest level.

"However, if I fast-forward 12 months I'm not sure this will be the case. And I have always wanted to finish my career with just a little bit left in me. Some people may ask why I have chosen now, after round nine? Last year I made a commitment to the playing group that I would be totally committed to 2010. And I still am. However, I do not want to be distracted for the second half of the year by constant speculation about will or won't I continue.

"All I want to be totally focused on is leading this club back to playing consistent, competitive football - week in, week out.

"So for the next 13 rounds I want to play an aggressive style of football, leading my team as best I can with the attitude it could be my last game.

"This club has given me so much over the journey - and it has been an incredible ride. I know I will leave at the end of the season a better person than when I walked in the doors."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/goodwin-announces-retirement/story-e6frecoc-1225871089937

Desipura
26-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Im looking for the bulldog connection????:confused:

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Its in the AFL thread, doesnt need to be a connection?

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm glad he's announced it for the END of the season, would have forced a trade to my Supercoach team otherwise...

LostDoggy
26-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Its in the AFL thread, doesnt need to be a connection?

This ^ :rolleyes:

chef
27-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Tyson Edwards has retired with no good bye game. He was dropped for the game against the Saints and asked for it to be his farewell, but the club said no.

mighty_west
27-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Tyson Edwards has retired with no good bye game. He was dropped for the game against the Saints and asked for it to be his farewell, but the club said no.

Pretty poor form fo a club not to allow a 300+ club champion a farewell game i would have thought.

KT31
28-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Pretty poor form fo a club not to allow a 300+ club champion a farewell game i would have thought.

Disagree, pretty poor form for a player to think he is bigger than the club and say he will retire if he doesn't get a game.

mighty_west
28-05-2010, 05:08 AM
Disagree, pretty poor form for a player to think he is bigger than the club and say he will retire if he doesn't get a game.

For a player who has notched up 320 games for one club, in a team that is going nowhere in season 2010, who is told that they can't be guaranteed a farewell game doesn't sit well with me, i reckon you have earn't that game for being such a loyal & club champion.

chef
28-05-2010, 06:58 AM
For a player who has notched up 320 games for one club, in a team that is going nowhere in season 2010, who is told that they can't be guaranteed a farewell game doesn't sit well with me, i reckon you have earned that game for being such a loyal & club champion.

Yep, it would be like us telling Grant, Smith, West(if he had been fit) etc that you can't have a farewell game. Not great form by the Crows IMO.

LostDoggy
28-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Depends on how the season is playing out. Unless there is a massive turnaround in the Crows season you'd be heartless not to give all known retirees a farewell.

strebla
28-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I still recall one of my faves Matty Crofts farewell I think he kicked 5 that day was it Robbo who also played that day??/ a highlight of a very ordinary season !!!

Sockeye Salmon
28-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I still recall one of my faves Matty Crofts farewell I think he kicked 5 that day was it Robbo who also played that day??/ a highlight of a very ordinary season !!!

Robbo may have played but I reckon your thinking about Simon Garlick. I think Garlick retired that game as well.

Throughandthrough
28-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Edwards has un-retired, will play next weekend at home and then retire again.

mighty_west
28-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Edwards has un-retired, will play next weekend at home and then retire again.

What is it with these big backflips in footy these days..:D

Good to see that common sense has provailed, and as clubs, sometimes you have have to make sure your members & supporters are happy, as well as looking at the big picture with developing youth etc.

Remi Moses
28-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I personally think once you're retired that should be it.I'm all for a trip around the park in
a car but once you announce you are retiring that's it! Tough one for the Ravens as those players were all playing well enough in 09 to warrant retention

mjp
28-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I personally think once you're retired that should be it.I'm all for a trip around the park in
a car but once you announce you are retiring that's it! Tough one for the Ravens as those players were all playing well enough in 09 to warrant retention

As some of us have found out the hard way, when it goes it can go pretty quick!