PDA

View Full Version : Greg Inglis to Essendon

LostDoggy
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
James Phelps
June 05, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: ARGUABLY rugby league's best player yesterday moved a step closer to becoming the latest star to abandon the NRL with Melbourne Storm ace Greg Inglis' manager meeting with AFL powerhouse Essendon.

In another blow for rugby league just days after the code was rocked by Israel Folau's defection to the AFL, Inglis is seriously considering joining the NRL exodus with Essendon making their interest in the Test centre formal.

While Essendon is playing the Swans at the SCG tomorrow, Bombers boss Ian Robson yesterday flew into Sydney a day earlier than his team for a meeting with Inglis' agent Al Gainey at a Sydney cafe.

It is understood Inglis has asked Gainey to explore the option of playing AFL in Melbourne with the 104kg centre unsure of his future with the Storm in the wake of the club's salary cap cheating.

"Inglis has a passion for Melbourne and that is where he wants to stay," said a source close to Inglis.

"He recently moved all his family down to Melbourne and he wants to stay their. He doesn't want to move anywhere else and if the Storm needs to release him from his contract then he would explore other opportunities and certainly Essendon is one of them."

Inglis is contracted with the Storm until the end of 2012 but could become a free agent with the club looking to slash $900,000 from its salary cap next year.

The Storm is understood to be over the cap by $1.2 million and will be forced to shed a star of Inglis' standing.

Robson early in the year denied his club had approached Inglis but said he would make a good AFL player.

"I've got no hesitation in saying he'd be one of several players - Billy Slater would be another - who could make the transition to AFL," Robson said.

Inglis' defection to the AFL would be even more damaging than Karmichael Hunt and Folau's controversial departures with Essendon's bid for Inglis not considered to be a publicity stunt.

Essendon's interest in Inglis stems back to when Kevin Sheedy was still at the club.

Sheedy declared Inglis should be AFL's No. 1 cross-code target.

Earlier in the week Essendon player Mark McVeigh said Inglis was a far more promising AFL prospect than Folau or Hunt.

"I think if you look at Folau and Inglis you probably think Greg is more suited in terms of the way he moves and his skills," McVeigh said.

GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna yesterday confirmed Hunt would make his VFL debut next Saturday against Coburg at Craigieburn.

The former Brisbane Bronco trained with his new teammates at Wesley College yesterday.

"His body is in good nick and he's looking good," McKenna said. "He's a lot more natural than I think a lot of people (think). They've had to sit back and go 'Hang on, this bloke's a chance of making it'.

"He's doing what he has to do ... he looks as natural as half of our side.

"We're looking forward to next week ... to him getting out and tearing the boys apart."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/greg-inglis-in-talks-with-bombers/story-e6frf9jf-1225875720478

AndrewP6
05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
He wants to stay "their"???

hujsh
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
That would be a massive backfire for the NRL if their attempt to ruin the Storm lost the NRL's best player.

EasternWest
05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
He wants to stay "their"???

You must be a teacher!

What does everyone think of NRL payers coming to the AFL?

I think it's an interesting idea, worth at least considering. In the case of GC and GWS I can understand splashing the huge dollars because it really is a marketing coup. The risk of Folau and Hunt being duds can someway be offfset by the fact that by merely signing they have generated huge interest in the teams.

I think it's be mad for Essendon or any established team to spend heaps on Inglis or the like. The exisiting teams are already well established and can't really afford the fallout if their boom NRL recruits turn out no good.

And let's not go overboard. The media hype surrounding the signings makes me think of those flexi nose bands and the magnetic bracelets. Someone once said it helps, and they spread like wildfire. Until they didn't.

I'd rather wait and see how the big signings go before we plunder the NRL.

Side point: anyone else think it's the smartest career move Folau and Hunt will ever make? They get massive dollars, and if it doesn't work out they're both still young enough to return to rugby. Genius.

The Boy From Brasil
05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I think it's be mad for Essendon or any established team to spend heaps on Inglis or the like. The exisiting teams are already well established and can't really afford the fallout if their boom NRL recruits turn out no good.

I agree. I think the large dollars for these guys who have never played the game is obscene, but I can understand the motivations for GWS and GC17 or why they did it. But like you say, for an established team to do it, it would be madness. If they are going to come through the system on draftee or rookie salary then no problem. But coming in on huge dollars, whilst the other players have to take a reduced salary due to the salary cap restrictions, isn't great for team building or fairness.

I wonder whether Hunt and Folau will be "encouraged" by the AFL to get games rather than be dropped. I remember that happening with Capper when he joined the bears. You would like to think the teams match committee selection would be independent from the AFL, but who would know with so much money being invested there.

Mofra
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
After spending time with some NRL types, I am very glad the sport is on it's knees and it's stars are deserting it.
By far the most insular supporters in any sport I have ever witnessed.

mjp
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Great news. If it turns talented kids from rugby league to Australian footy because their heroes are changing codes, then it is a generational investment as not only will we see kids today change codes, but their kids and grandkids will be converted as well.

Whether it works or not it is good for the AFL. If the guys who change codes become stars, great. Kids are inspired and they also change codes. If they fail, becomes easy to point at the NRL with a bit of derision...International Sport? Great. Your best players can't even get a touch against our boys...yet another selling point to fans - the best play AFL.

lemmon
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
After spending time with some NRL types, I am very glad the sport is on it's knees and it's stars are deserting it.
By far the most insular supporters in any sport I have ever witnessed.

If the real AFL goal is to bring NRL to its knees then I'm not sure they are targeting they correct players. NRL heartland is without a doubt New South Wales and grabbing a guy like Hayne would create double the uproar that Hunt, Folau have. If someone like a Haynes was poached we would see panic stations for the NRL.

Hotdog60
05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
When I was coaching under 12's we had a kid swap from rugby league and at the first nights training he asked if it was the end of the running drills, sadly I had to tell him that it was only the warm up.

He lasted one more week and went back to Rugby.:D

LostDoggy
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
If the real AFL goal is to bring NRL to its knees then I'm not sure they are targeting they correct players. NRL heartland is without a doubt New South Wales and grabbing a guy like Hayne would create double the uproar that Hunt, Folau have. If someone like a Haynes was poached we would see panic stations for the NRL.

I have heard they already tried that, but he recommitted to the Eels.

That's why they ended up getting Folau.

chef
05-06-2010, 06:26 PM
What a waste of time and money IMO(plus he has a faulty character). I can understand a developing market like GC or GWS(mainly marketing), but I think Williams has shown us how long of a journey(and we are not there yet) it is.

craigsahibee
05-06-2010, 07:57 PM
What a waste of time and money IMO(plus he has a faulty character). I can understand a developing market like GC or GWS(mainly marketing), but I think Williams has shown us how long of a journey(and we are not there yet) it is.

Will get along with Michael Hurley.

Scorlibo
06-06-2010, 11:00 AM
As a canberra fan, I am forced to watch a lot of NRL, and there are probably 4 players who I have watched for a while, thinking, 'it would be really interesting to see them in the AFL'.

- Carmichael Hunt
- Israel Folau
- Greg Inglis
- Jarryd Hayne

3/4 aint bad, and who knows, Hayne could be the next cab off the rank. Moves like Shaun Higgins.

Doc26
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Is just another way for the wealthy clubs to exploit clubs such as ours with what will ultimately lead to excessive AFL endorsed 3rd party payments made outside the existing TPP.

The Boy From Brasil
06-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Is just another way for the wealthy clubs to exploit clubs such as ours with what will ultimately lead to excessive AFL endorsed 3rd party payments made outside the existing TPP.

It is a really good point you make. That is the thing that frustrates me out of this is that the money paid to the ex NRL players bypasses the salary cap. The new teams are getting enough of an advantage with all their early draft picks. Having new players bypassing the salary cap(only because they come from another code) creates a bad precedent IMO. I heard on the radio where Essendon will ask the AFL if they do recruit Inglis, if they can pay his salary outside the salary cap under the "marketing allowance" that applies to Falou and Hunt. Even the thought of it is crazy. It should be the same rules for every AFL player, and all their payments goes in the same salary cap.

IMO, it is discrimination against players who have been born and bred with AFL, and played the game as juniors. Because they go through the AFL junior system, get drafted and have their first two years salary fixed, and then it is what the market says their talent demands, but within the confines of the salary cap. So their whole career, their salary has some sort of restriction or ceiling put on it. With the ex NRL guys, they get an overinflated salary from day one, only because they played another code. It doesn't make sense to me. The AFL want young children to play AFL rather than other codes, and then they reward people later who choose other codes as juniors. I can understand the players being up in arms.

On the 3rd party payments, I agree with your point. I have to say that I don't have a heap of faith in it. To me, it is crazy that the AFL say "When we bring in free agency, we will have to closely monitor the 3rd party payments". They should be doing it now like they are supposed to, not waiting for free agency to come in.

mjp
06-06-2010, 01:36 PM
When I was coaching under 12's we had a kid swap from rugby league and at the first nights training he asked if it was the end of the running drills, sadly I had to tell him that it was only the warm up.

He lasted one more week and went back to Rugby.:D

u12's do running drills?

Sad.

Mantis
06-06-2010, 01:57 PM
What a waste of time and money IMO (plus he has a faulty character). I can understand a developing market like GC or GWS(mainly marketing), but I think Williams has shown us how long of a journey(and we are not there yet) it is.

That isn't true.

His missus was the nut-bag.

Flamethrower
06-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't mind the Gold Coast, GWS and Essendon wasting millions on these ex-NRL players. It means they have less to poach our top liners when they come out of contract. I prefer to scout the leagues like the VFL, WAFL, SANFL etc for hidden gems that have slipped through the system eg J-Pod, Barlow, and Matt Little (get him Doggies).

EasternWest
06-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Wasn't this disproven? I guess mud sticks regardless, but I think from memory his partner was acting violently and she got hurt when he tried to stop her?

FrediKanoute
07-06-2010, 11:52 PM
It is a really good point you make. That is the thing that frustrates me out of this is that the money paid to the ex NRL players bypasses the salary cap. The new teams are getting enough of an advantage with all their early draft picks. Having new players bypassing the salary cap(only because they come from another code) creates a bad precedent IMO. I heard on the radio where Essendon will ask the AFL if they do recruit Inglis, if they can pay his salary outside the salary cap under the "marketing allowance" that applies to Falou and Hunt. Even the thought of it is crazy. It should be the same rules for every AFL player, and all their payments goes in the same salary cap.

IMO, it is discrimination against players who have been born and bred with AFL, and played the game as juniors. Because they go through the AFL junior system, get drafted and have their first two years salary fixed, and then it is what the market says their talent demands, but within the confines of the salary cap. So their whole career, their salary has some sort of restriction or ceiling put on it. With the ex NRL guys, they get an overinflated salary from day one, only because they played another code. It doesn't make sense to me. The AFL want young children to play AFL rather than other codes, and then they reward people later who choose other codes as juniors. I can understand the players being up in arms.

On the 3rd party payments, I agree with your point. I have to say that I don't have a heap of faith in it. To me, it is crazy that the AFL say "When we bring in free agency, we will have to closely monitor the 3rd party payments". They should be doing it now like they are supposed to, not waiting for free agency to come in.

I agree whole heartedly with your sentiments. I don't think Rugby League players should be excluded from the salary cap. There is no logical basis for it. If Essendon want to get Greg Inglis down to the club then they should be preared to sacrifice space on the list and space in theri salary cap. Its not like getting funding for a developing player from another code like Gaelic, the rugby league guys are professional footballers.

Mofra
08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I agree whole heartedly with your sentiments. I don't think Rugby League players should be excluded from the salary cap. There is no logical basis for it. If Essendon want to get Greg Inglis down to the club then they should be preared to sacrifice space on the list and space in theri salary cap.
No NRL players are exempt from the salary cap though. Every club receives a marketing allowance of $500k, and the new franchises are getting $1m in their allowance to promote the game. Folau & Hunt will be earning most of their money from the marketing allowance which makes sense - their output is likely to be far less than their value as a marketing tool.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Wasn't this disproven? I guess mud sticks regardless, but I think from memory his partner was acting violently and she got hurt when he tried to stop her?

Yes.

As a Storm supporter I'd be more shattered if Cameron Smith or Billy Slater left. If GI does leave the Storm I'd rather him swap codes than play for another NRL club though.

LostDoggy
08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
No NRL players are exempt from the salary cap though. Every club receives a marketing allowance of $500k, and the new franchises are getting $1m in their allowance to promote the game. Folau & Hunt will be earning most of their money from the marketing allowance which makes sense - their output is likely to be far less than their value as a marketing tool.

By that reasoning, could someone like Gablett then justifiably be able to ask GC17, or Geelong for that matter, to pay him out of the marketing allowance over and above his playing salary then? After all, they would be using him to market the game too.

For that matter, can't all clubs pay their star players bonuses out of their marketing budget? David Beckham in soccer was the first player to have an extra 'marketing' clause in his contract (image rights, it was called) that Manchester United had to pay him to have the 'right' to use his image for marketing purposes, this is obviously the same line that the AFL are taking with the NRL stars.

If I were a young superstar player in any code in Australia with a salary cap I would be asking my agent to suss out rival codes for the potential for a massive windfall in marketing money outside the salary cap; the rival codes will be willing to pay crazy money just to get one up on each other, and being young, I can always come back to my 'home' code after the experiment/contract is up.

Heck, if I played both AFL and NRL growing up I know I would happily switch back and forth if my earning potential was going to be tripled. It's not like the AFL is showing any loyalty to players who show loyalty to the code.

Topdog
08-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Correct and you'd think people would bother to look it up before spouting crap like that.

Mofra
09-06-2010, 11:47 AM
By that reasoning, could someone like Gablett then justifiably be able to ask GC17, or Geelong for that matter, to pay him out of the marketing allowance over and above his playing salary then? After all, they would be using him to market the game too.
They do. All clubs do. The $500k marketing allowance is capped for that reason.

Doc26
09-06-2010, 10:30 PM
They do. All clubs do. The $500k marketing allowance is capped for that reason.

Of course there's the Club specific marketing allowance of ~$530k IF they are fortunate enough to have the budget but then there's the abyss commonly known as 3rd party payments or that of the green ambassador where the sky is the limit which makes the marketing allowance simply pocket change.

Keeping GAJ at the Cats is not simply about dollars as this could and possibly will continue to be funded through a willing 3rd Party such as with Costas Property Dev. Group as with GAJ. It is accepted that GAJ and Judd are two of 114 players in '09 being paid under disclosed 3rd party agreements to a value ~$2m. The issue relates more to integrity and the precedence it sets with the flow on effect to the rest of their list. The winners become those who have greatest access to willing 3rd parties divided by an integrity factor.

Mofra
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Of course there's the Club specific marketing allowance of ~$530k IF they are fortunate enough to have the budget but then there's the abyss commonly known as 3rd party payments or that of the green ambassador where the sky is the limit which makes the marketing allowance simply pocket change.
I haven't heard any details of what the League guys might be getting outside of their salary & marketing contracts, I was making a comment purely on what every club already does. I disagree with the draft concessions the new start up sides are getting, but can understand the extra half a mil in marketing budget the new teams will have, and from a playing point of view am glad they are blowing it all on two guys who are unlikely to become A graders.

The Boy From Brasil
11-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Keeping GAJ at the Cats is not simply about dollars as this could and possibly will continue to be funded through a willing 3rd Party such as with Costas Property Dev. Group as with GAJ. It is accepted that GAJ and Judd are two of 114 players in '09 being paid under disclosed 3rd party agreements to a value ~$2m. The issue relates more to integrity and the precedence it sets with the flow on effect to the rest of their list. The winners become those who have greatest access to willing 3rd parties divided by an integrity factor.

Yes, the third party payments are a real worry for a club like ours. It is hard to compete against clubs like Carlton, West Coast, Adelaide etc who have more avenue to sponsorship or wealthy benefactors that we do.

The thing that worries me also with the third party payments is the transparency of it. Ken Wood might be doing a fantastic job and on top of it all, but we wouldn't know. The only time they announce that they will look at anything, is when it makes the headlines eg Ben Holland's claim against March with the property deals, and then the AFL announces a claytons investigation just to shut everyone up. The AFL should be giving us a summary of what deal took place and why they view it as bona fide. They don't have to necessarily mention the exact sum for confidentiality reasons, but just the deal done and why it is okay. With the golden silence that exists over all these third party deals, it is hard for the public to have confidence over the salary cap system(the cornerstone of our system).

It seems crazy to me and out of whack, that the AFL will go hard and public over immaterial things like players or officials betting $2. But on the third party deals, you never hear a thing. We just have to trust them that it is all above board.

Sockeye Salmon
11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes, the third party payments are a real worry for a club like ours. It is hard to compete against clubs like Carlton, West Coast, Adelaide etc who have more avenue to sponsorship or wealthy benefactors that we do.

The thing that worries me also with the third party payments is the transparency of it. Ken Wood might be doing a fantastic job and on top of it all, but we wouldn't know. The only time they announce that they will look at anything, is when it makes the headlines eg Ben Holland's claim against March with the property deals, and then the AFL announces a claytons investigation just to shut everyone up. The AFL should be giving us a summary of what deal took place and why they view it as bona fide. They don't have to necessarily mention the exact sum for confidentiality reasons, but just the deal done and why it is okay. With the golden silence that exists over all these third party deals, it is hard for the public to have confidence over the salary cap system(the cornerstone of our system).

It seems crazy to me and out of whack, that the AFL will go hard and public over immaterial things like players or officials betting $2. But on the third party deals, you never hear a thing. We just have to trust them that it is all above board.

This.

At least in Rugby League the have the "Any Team?" test. The NRL ask themselves, "would this player still get this endorsement if he was playing for another team?".

Clearly Chris Judd and Gary Ablett wouldn't get the endorsements they do from Visy or Costa's if they played for other clubs, so these deals wouldn't be allowed. While it's far from a perfect system it's about a billion times better than our system.

I understand that this was one of the things that lead to the Storm investigation. Cam Smith's deal with Foxtel (to promote Foxtel in Melbourne) was dependant on Smith being a Melbourne player (why would Foxtel want Jarrod Heyne to promote them in Melbourne?).

LostDoggy
28-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I just wanted to congratulate Greg Inglis and Sally Robinson on their engagement. :)

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/wedding-plans-lift-ingliss-spirits-20100626-zaq7.html