PDA

View Full Version : A few beers vs Sleeping pills

mighty_west
13-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Luke Darcy asked Ross Lyon after their game, will the players be allowed to go down to the foyer of the hotel and have a few beers, to unwind.

Lyons responce was, i don't what club you've been at Darce [a bit of a dig], but more or less that they are a totally professional club etc.

James Hird on the couch pretty much said that he didn't have a problem with players joining the clubs touring entourage [couches, trainers etc etc] in having 2 or 3 beers & chat about the game or whatever to help unwind.

This isn't players going out to clubs or bars & having all night benders etc, this is just a way for the players that finish a night game at around 10.30pm, get back to the hotel by say 11.30, and rather than take sleeping pills to help sleep, but in a safe enviroment, just a few quiet ones.

I dunno, perhaps i'm a little old fashioned, but would much rather players be in that enviroment, have a 2 or 3, then up to bed, rather than taking pills.

Discuss.

Mofra
13-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I've seen Ben Hudson in the Victory Room after a game, mixing with the fans

LostDoggy
13-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I saw that on 'On the Couch' last night too. I agree with James Hird. A couple of beers in a relaxed environment with teammates and club officials rather than sleeping tablets. I know after a couple of drinks I sleep well!! :D

Mantis
13-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Ross Lyon proved just what an arse clown he is in that interview. There was absolutely no need to add what he did and he came out of it looking like a knob.

I wouldn't think most other coaches would be too concerned if one of their players had a couple of beers after a game to unwind a little.

The Coon Dog
13-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Ross Lyon proved just what an arse clown he is in that interview. There was absolutely no need to add what he did and he came out of it looking like a knob.

Yup, agree, just the way he said to Luke Darcy, 'I don't know what club you come from mate...'

chef
13-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Yup, agree, just the way he said to Luke Darcy, 'I don't know what club you come from mate...'

The Saints are just so squeaky clean:rolleyes:

Desipura
13-07-2010, 02:07 PM
As if Lyon has a leg to stand on, his club has been on the news for
a little rat allegedly raping a woman
another player getting a 17yo pregnant
I would much rather our players have a few quiet ales in a hotel room then any of the above

mjp
13-07-2010, 02:16 PM
As if Lyon has a leg to stand on, his club has been on the news for
a little rat allegedly raping a woman
another player getting a 17yo pregnant
I would much rather our players have a few quiet ales in a hotel room then any of the above

Don't you just wish he was called on it though? Totally professional Ross? Any comment on the recent allegations about the school girl, the corruption enquiry around the rape investigation about two of your current players or Andrew Lovett?

Desipura
13-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Don't you just wish he was called on it though? Totally professional Ross? Any comment on the recent allegations about the school girl, the corruption enquiry around the rape investigation about two of your current players or Andrew Lovett?
If I was Darcy, I would have called him on it. Especially when he questioned the club Darcy played for.

aker39
13-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Today he is complaining about the consistancy of the MRP.

We have all complained about this in the past, but surely he can't be comparing Baker's antics to those of the Lions players from Saturday night.

Topdog
13-07-2010, 02:59 PM

The Western "I haven't raped anyone" Bulldogs. Which club you from Ross?

Ghost Dog
13-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Thought it was a bit of a sign of insecurity. Been a torrid year for the Saints in that respect.

Ross is probably getting tired of having to schedule in sex education classes for his boys.

As an aside, I see Gold Coast are toying with the idea of signing Andrew Lovett.
Our Barry's salary for a year would be worth just the legal bills for that mess!
Lighten up Ross!

Sedat
13-07-2010, 05:11 PM
He would just plead the 5th in that dry, boring monotone of his...something along the lines of "that's before the courts so I can't really go into that". Then he'd sprout off some jibberish about having respect for the other party and not wanting to add fuel to the fire and sensationalise the issue any further. I've lost all faith in any media commentator ever asking a remotely controversial question to an interviewee.

AndrewP6
13-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Lyon's a tosser, and reinforced that in my mind with those comments. What an idiot. Darce should've clocked him when he had a dig at the club..

Now, as for the 'couple of drinks vs couple of pills' issue... I'd much rather players had a couple of quiet ones....not sure if today's ultra-professional environment allows for it, but that'd be best in my view. Could bring Fev undone in Brisvegas though, as he often mistakes a "couple of beers" for a "couple of slabs"...:)

mighty_west
13-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Now, as for the 'couple of drinks vs couple of pills' issue... I'd much rather players had a couple of quiet ones....not sure if today's ultra-professional environment allows for it, but that'd be best in my view. Could bring Fev undone in Brisvegas though, as he often mistakes a "couple of beers" for a "couple of slabs"...:)

Fev would have no choice in a controlled enviroment, with 2 or 3 with his team mates and club entourage in the foyer after a game, perhaps Voss could get him one of those "Buddy's" that Franklin has, to make sure his head is pulled in at all times...;)

AndrewP6
13-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Fev would have no choice in a controlled enviroment, with 2 or 3 with his team mates and club entourage in the foyer after a game, perhaps Voss could get him one of those "Buddy's" that Franklin has, to make sure his head is pulled in at all times...;)

Can Fev be controlled by anyone? ;)

mighty_west
13-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Can Fev be controlled by anyone? ;)

Obviously not at Carlton or Brisbane.

craigsahibee
13-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe if Ross let the boys have 1 or 2 occasionally, they may not need a skinfull or maybe be able to handle it a bit better and not end up in the poo that seems to follow them around.

azabob
13-07-2010, 09:00 PM
He would just plead the 5th in that dry, boring monotone of his...something along the lines of "that's before the courts so I can't really go into that". Then he'd sprout off some jibberish about having respect for the other party and not wanting to add fuel to the fire and sensationalise the issue any further. I've lost all faith in any media commentator ever asking a remotely controversial question to an interviewee.

Interesting point you raise about asking the tough question's. The only two footy jurnos in the print media who have strong opinions are Walls and Wilson yet they are continually howled down by the general public. On radio Mark Maclure asks the tough questions regardless who they are.

LostDoggy
14-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I didn't see the show (no Foxtel) but what a jerk to say that to a champion footballer - what a w **ker! Just reinforces my opinion of the club and it's continual appearance in the media for all the wrong reasons.

I'm not a medical expert, but I would have thought that a couple of drinks would be a better health option than popping pills??

Ozza
14-07-2010, 10:47 AM
The thing that annoys me about what Ross Lyon said - is that he is acting like they don't usually have a couple of quiet beers in the hotel bar after a game. They may not have had a couple on Saturday night - but they have done so before - and would have a couple somewhere if it was in Melbourne.

Thats all Darce was asking - he wasn't saying they would be out on benders. The response was ridiculous.

Ghost Dog
14-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Tally up all the incidents over the years,

Drug issues, ( Stokes, Geelong, Freo, Weagles, etc etc)
Drink Driving ( Didak, Shaw, tigers/ Jay Schulz. etc etc )
Trouble with the ladies ( Lovett - Milne / Saints, Motlop / Port etc etc)
Gropers ( Buddy, Carey etc etc )
Miscellanious idiotary ( chicken-boners etc etc )
Cap fiddling ( Blues )
Boozers: Too many to mention

We do have Aker I suppose but he hasn't done anything you could be sued for or taken to court. Has he?

As far as the aints, you kind of get the feeling won't be long until the next headline.

Well done Bulldogs! the shining light of morality in the AFL.:D *White glow*

Now all we need to do is make amends to the Gay community by entering a float in the Mardis Gras!
And who should we pick as our lead dancer? hmmmm....

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Western+Bulldogs+Training+Session+3eGslYPDt4gl.jpg

chef
14-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Didn't one of their players hook up with the underager at a night club after the Sydney game in round 1?

Desipura
15-07-2010, 08:37 AM
didn't one of their players hook up with the underager at a night club after the sydney game in round 1?

already mentioned in post 7

chef
15-07-2010, 04:30 PM
already mentioned in post 7

I meant in the context of his players not drinking after a game. If they were at a night club after a game you would think that they would be drinking also. Lyon wouldn't have a clue what some of his players would are up to.