PDA

View Full Version : WCE Prepared To Trade Pick 4

The Coon Dog
25-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Interesting to see that John Worsfold has said 'Make us an offer' for pick 4.

Gold Coast have the first 3 picks in the draft, so this represents the next pick.

Would you be interested in seeing the Bulldogs make Woosha an offer & if so, what should we offer to realistically complete a deal?

Please don't suggest Josh Hill/Dylan Addison/Brennan Stack etc... as they're just not going to be able to get the deal done. It has to be quality.

Personally I don't think we would be prepared to part what may be required to tempt the Eagles, so I think I'd leave alone.

Throughandthrough
25-08-2010, 08:00 PM
acka and eagle.

The Coon Dog
25-08-2010, 08:02 PM
acka and eagle.

I said pick 4, not pick 4 million & 4! ;)

chef
25-08-2010, 08:35 PM
We don't have anyone for a straight swap(it would only be someone going back to WA you would think), but if Griffen wanted to go home and we were involve in a three way with one of the SA clubs it could happen(but hopefully it doesn't).

Topdog
25-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I think Hill would have to be involved but if they happy to depart with pick 4 I assume they will be ok to depart with their 2nd round pick which I would be happy with for Hill.

Greystache
25-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I'd offer Daniel Cross and Josh Hill, not sure Cross is what they're in need of however.

boydogs
26-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Hargrave? From WA originally, in the AA squad of 40 last year, Wood & Murphy in defense now could cover

BulldogBelle
26-08-2010, 01:44 AM
I'd offer Daniel Cross

Haha. You almost fooled me for a second there.

(I hope for your sake your joking)

With our strong position in the upcoming draft there is no need to trade for more inexperience, that pick is pretty tasty but we can't realistically win with any trades for it.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 06:15 AM
a bit early to start talking who we want to ship off I would have thought. Can we wait until the season is finished?

GVGjr
26-08-2010, 06:20 AM
a bit early to start talking who we want to ship off I would have thought. Can we wait until the season is finished?

I agree.
From a strategy perspective I would like to get a first round pick but we simply don't have the pieces to trade for pick 4.

Flamethrower
26-08-2010, 07:02 AM
How would it work with regards to Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore. We have all but committed to them, and with the way the father/son bidding process works now, wouldn't we be forced to use pick 4 to draft one of them?

GVGjr
26-08-2010, 07:22 AM
How would it work with regards to Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore. We have all but committed to them, and with the way the father/son bidding process works now, wouldn't we be forced to use pick 4 to draft one of them?

The bidding for the father son selections is always the natural draft picks not anything that you acquire along the way. The timing of committing to the father son selections makes it impossible anyway.

The Coon Dog
26-08-2010, 07:49 AM

There was an article in the media yesterday about WCE being prepared to trade for pick 4, so to me it seemed like the right time to discuss in respect to that particular article.

Are we really that precious that we can't contemplate future potential player trades?

Mofra
26-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Hargrave? From WA originally, in the AA squad of 40 last year, Wood & Murphy in defense now could cover
Hargarve? Wouldn't be worth more than a 3rd rounder on the open market.
If he was at WCE, would you trade pick 4 for him?

Greystache
26-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Haha. You almost fooled me for a second there.

(I hope for your sake your joking)

With our strong position in the upcoming draft there is no need to trade for more inexperience, that pick is pretty tasty but we can't realistically win with any trades for it.

No I wasn't, I think Cross is the sort of player who when their form starts to drop away it will happen very quickly. We're inundated with in and under types and with Reid and Liberatore available next year our lack of genuinely quick players will be critically short, especially if as expected Harbrow goes too.

We need to make a call to get some young players with pace and kicking skills.

comrade
26-08-2010, 09:37 AM
No I wasn't, I think Cross is the sort of player who when their form starts to drop away it will happen very quickly. We're inundated with in and under types and with Reid and Liberatore available next year our lack of genuinely quick players will be critically short, especially if as expected Harbrow goes too.

We need to make a call to get some young players with pace and kicking skills.

The mental fragility of our playing group would be severely tested if we got rid of someone like Crossy, even if it was in the pursuit of ultimate glory.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 09:58 AM
The mental fragility of our playing group would be severely tested if we got rid of someone like Crossy, even if it was in the pursuit of ultimate glory.

You're probably right, which just goes to show how much of a front the bluff and bravado of the leadership group really is.

I think it's highly unlikely but it's tough decisions that take teams from 3-4 to premiers.

ledge
26-08-2010, 10:05 AM
No ones mentioned Everitt.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 10:14 AM
No ones mentioned Everitt.

We wouldn't get a first rounder for Everitt, let alone an early first rounder. We would need to trade Everitt and another player like a Wood or Roughead and obviously we wouldn't even consider that.

ledge
26-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Just wondering why his name hasnt been mentioned as he seems to have been talked about before, Yes I know it would take other players too.
As mentioned with other players on this thread.

Topdog
26-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Hill and Everitt?

The Coon Dog
26-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Hill and Everitt?

I had a similar thought & I reckon it would be enough to get WCE to agree.

It would also give us a bit of salary cap releif.

Its always a gamble when you trade players for picks.

mjp
26-08-2010, 12:32 PM
There is only one player on our list they would trade pick 4 for: Cooney. And we wouldn't trade him anyway.

Josh Hill and Daniel Cross? Just what they need - another hard at it mid who can't kick and another outside forward who can't play a key role...

For pick 4 it has to be a hell of a lot more than that.

Mofra
26-08-2010, 01:07 PM
^^^Agree. Two fringe players isn't equal to the likely gun they'd get for pick 4.

It would be like saying we should forgo the F/S pick in round 1 for a Richard Hadlee and Setanta O'hAilpin from Carlton - two fringe types. Doesn't make sense.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 01:33 PM
There was an article in the media yesterday about WCE being prepared to trade for pick 4, so to me it seemed like the right time to discuss in respect to that particular article.

Are we really that precious that we can't contemplate future potential player trades?

Performances in finals can make or break a player. If a player has been just ok during the season but excelled in the finals series, I would not want to trade him.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 01:36 PM
]We wouldn't get a first rounder for Everitt,[/B] let alone an early first rounder. We would need to trade Everitt and another player like a Wood or Roughead and obviously we wouldn't even consider that.
We nearly did last year had St Kilda not picked up Lovett.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 02:44 PM
We nearly did last year had St Kilda not picked up Lovett.

But we didn't, and now he's another year in the system and still no closer to being a regular senior player.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Performances in finals can make or break a player. If a player has been just ok during the season but excelled in the finals series, I would not want to trade him.

[QUOTE=The Coon Dog;173145]There was an article in the media yesterday about WCE being prepared to trade for pick 4, so to me it seemed like the right time to discuss in respect to that particular article.

[B]Are we really that precious that we can't contemplate future potential player trades?[QUOTE]
Does my reply answer your question regarding being too precious?

bornadog
26-08-2010, 02:53 PM
But we didn't, and now he's another year in the system and still no closer to being a regular senior player.

Just a reminder to everyone, he is only 21 years old.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Just a reminder to everyone, he is only 21 years old.

That's beside the point, a fringe player who couldn't command a first round pick at 20 is less chance to command one as a fringe player at 21.

GVGjr
26-08-2010, 06:46 PM
There is only one player on our list they would trade pick 4 for: Cooney. And we wouldn't trade him anyway.

Josh Hill and Daniel Cross? Just what they need - another hard at it mid who can't kick and another outside forward who can't play a key role...

I agree that they will want the world for the pick and we aren't in a position to trade for it.

MrMahatma
26-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Given all the 17year olds taken out pre- draft, isn't pick 4 really closer to pick 16 or so?

The Coon Dog
26-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Given all the 17year olds taken out pre- draft, isn't pick 4 really closer to pick 16 or so?

Valid point & the way WCE are flogging it, you'd think it was pick 1 in a super draft.

Greystache
26-08-2010, 08:52 PM

I agree WCE isn't a club in need of someone like Cross, not dissimilar to us they need pacey skillful midfielders. I wonder if Gold Coast would consider a similar trade for pick 3 or 5, a hard bodied in and under player would be very useful in a team of kids.

Desipura
26-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I agree WCE isn't a club in need of someone like Cross, not dissimilar to us they need pacey skillful midfielders. I wonder if Gold Coast would consider a similar trade for pick 3 or 5, a hard bodied in and under player would be very useful in a team of kids.
Especially on a big fast track like Subiaco. Lack of pace really stands out.

boydogs
27-08-2010, 12:52 AM

No. I wouldn't trade the pick at all.

Agree with this. Maybe Hargrave still isn't sufficient, but I would think he is above a 3rd rounder. Add Josh Hill perhaps?

Barry Hall in his 30's after being sacked was still worth a 3rd rounder.

Cyberdoggie
27-08-2010, 12:48 PM

......No, but perhaps the WCE aren't too bright.

They had no idea there was a drug problem at their club so perhaps we may fool them on this as well. :p

Cyberdoggie
27-08-2010, 12:51 PM
No. I wouldn't trade the pick at all.

Agree with this. Maybe Hargrave still isn't sufficient, but I would think he is above a 3rd rounder. Add Josh Hill perhaps?

Barry Hall in his 30's after being sacked was still worth a 3rd rounder.

If the WCE's are willing to give up pick 4, it means Woosha doesn't want to wait to rebuild his side. Also with the GWS coming in he may think this is not possible so he wants senior players now to compensate his list. Woosha is also hanging on to his career at the moment so he'll want players that will make a difference.

I doubt Hill will be that option, Hargrave maybe but he would want a big name and/or some quality seniors.

mjp
27-08-2010, 01:20 PM
If the WCE's are willing to give up pick 4, it means Woosha doesn't want to wait to rebuild his side. Also with the GWS coming in he may think this is not possible so he wants senior players now to compensate his list.

Doesn't it mean the coaches have zero faith in the recruiters to get it right?

The current side is littered with high draft picks who have simply not performed or proved to be flawed (and some almost fatally).

The Crows were crucified in Adelaide for not picking Ebert when they had the chance - is anyone talking about that decision now? What about Masten? Natanui? Scott Selwood? The list goes on and on and on.

If that was my recent draft history, I would be looking for proven commodities as well.

chef
27-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Daniel Motlop for pick 4.

Sockeye Salmon
27-08-2010, 04:59 PM
OMG!

Surely you mean Daniel Motlop and pick 5 for pick 4?

Nope, still wouldn't do it.

mighty_west
27-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Watch the West Coke supporters go into meltdown....:D

chef
27-08-2010, 05:39 PM
OMG!

Surely you mean Daniel Motlop and pick 5 for pick 4?

Nope, still wouldn't do it.

Sorry i forgot the :D at the end:o.

Desipura
27-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Doesn't it mean the coaches have zero faith in the recruiters to get it right?

The current side is littered with high draft picks who have simply not performed or proved to be flawed (and some almost fatally).

The Crows were crucified in Adelaide for not picking Ebert when they had the chance - is anyone talking about that decision now? What about Masten? Natanui? Scott Selwood? The list goes on and on and on.

If that was my recent draft history, I would be looking for proven commodities as well.
They got a handy player called Dangerfield instead.

Remi Moses
27-08-2010, 11:52 PM

Wouldn't think that would get the job done!Couldn't see us being involved in pick 4.

anfo27
28-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I agree with cyberdoggie here in that Worsfold is on thin ice and another poor season next year and he is gone. Picking up a kid at pick 4 for Worsfold isn't going to help his cause in getting a contract extension.
If we don't do anything in the finals then I would like to see us give them something tasty to try to get that pick. I'd be happy to give them Hargrave & Gia for that pick.

Topdog
29-08-2010, 01:37 PM
They got a handy player called Dangerfield instead.

I think you missed the point of mjp's post.

Mantis
30-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I guess the main question we need to ask is who would we target with pick 4?

To get pick 4 we would need to offer up a high quality player and I doubt we would go down that path, but I guess if we fail to win a flag we may have to change tack a little and this (trading) may become an option.

Bulldog Revolution
30-08-2010, 10:38 AM
To get pick 4 I would think we'd need to trade either Cooney, Griffen or Higgins

I see that as pretty unlikely