PDA

View Full Version : Richard Tambling

Bulldog Revolution
19-09-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/wholl-roll-the-richard-tambling-dice/story-e6frf9ox-1225925570773

Who'll roll the Richard Tambling dice?
Mark Stevens

NO so long ago, Richard Tambling was such a valuable asset at Richmond he was sent to Parliament House in Canberra to rub shoulders with the nation's powerbrokers.

Joined by key Tigers officials, Tambling whacked on a pair of slacks and a T-shirt and spoke from the heart about his tough upbringing in a community outside Darwin.

Tambling's story was so moving, by the time the club's delegation had left Canberra they had received $8.75 million in federal funding for an indigenous learning centre at Punt Rd. It played a huge part in underwriting a total development worth $20 milllion.

Now it seems Tambling won't be around to enjoy the fruits of the shiny new facility.

Tambling has two years of a contract to run at Tigerland, but he is now expendable - if the right trade deal comes along.

Two years ago, he was being lauded for his influence in Canberra by the president, Gary March. These days it seems both parties are happy to move on.

There is nothing nasty in it, for Richmond has been super-supportive of Tambling through a much-maligned career, but the scenario sums up modern football.

Andrew Walker, another high draft pick, is in a similar position at Carlton. Sometimes both parties might be just better to cut their losses and move on.

The Crows are hot for Walker and the suitors will come for Tambling, too.

The knockers out there may laugh, but Tambling should have enormous currency the moment trade time begins.

At a team playing in the premiership window, he has the skills to be a star.

Former teammate Nathan Brown has no doubt Tambling will be in hot demand.

"I reckon he'd be a very good player at a top-four side where he got the game on his terms and his team had the ball a lot," Brown said yesterday.

"At this stage, he is maybe a bit of a frontrunner. He will be better at a better side.

"He found it harder than most at Richmond to make his way, win his own ball and play consistent footy.

"He just needs to work harder on the mental side of the game."

Brown even went as far as saying the pacy Tambling could be an on-ball option in a powerful team.

"He was never on-ball enough. You could see at training, he was a very good stoppage player. Very clean. He could be a ruck rover," Brown said.

Brown says he would be ideal at St Kilda, who went for Andrew Lovett for some run-and-carry last year and lost out. A year later, Tambling could be that man.

Tambling is also an ideal trade option for the Western Bulldogs, who have become a good "inside" team in need of some more "outside" run.

With Jarrod Harbrow all but gone, the Dogs should look to Tambling as an immediate replacement.

Harbrow will surely be deemed worth an end-of-first-round pick if he goes to the Gold Coast. Is it worth using that to try and get Tambling? Other names such as Andrejs Everitt or Josh Hill might come up.

A straight swap of Bachar Houli for Tambling has already been mooted, but that is a win for Essendon. Tambling has shown his best is better than Houli's.

Tambling has played 108 games in six seasons. The foundations are there.

He will forever be remembered at Tigerland for his role in the new facility, but he has the ability to remembered for much more ... maybe even a premiership player elsewhere.

BulldogBelle
19-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Definitely one to look at.

Considering mental strength is one of our biggest weaknesses at the moment, I'm not too sure how wise it is trading for another bloke who completely lacks it.

chef
20-09-2010, 08:00 AM
No thanks, would rather we go after Sherman.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 09:10 AM
We would be foolish not to entertain the possibility of getting him to the kennel.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Said what I had to say in the Minister of Trades thread. The guy struggles mentally and physically to lead a bottom 4 midfield (most players would), but would be very nice cream on our heavily inside cake. He is also incredibly clean inside, with great hands.

At the right club (a Geelong, say) this guy would already be a superstar (is Varcoe running around picking up the outside ball so much better than anything Tambling could do in that midfield?), but we won't go after him because of his reputation. No, we'd rather keep our Mitch Hahns.

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Same here

Mofra
20-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I'd prefer Sherman, but believe there is significant upside to Tambling. He'd be a better player for us than he is at Richmond.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 01:49 PM
He's quick and has good skills, but he too frequently seems to be running without a direction. I agree with Mofra though, a better side may give him more of an idea about where to run. Maybe, depending on the price.

azabob
20-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Richmond have offered us Tambling and Jordan McMahon

in return for

Callan Ward and a time machine so they can undo the McMahon / Pick 19 (Ward) Trade.

What is even funnier about the whole McMahon / Ward trade is I remember they spent quite a bit of time deciding who to chose with Pick 18. They ended up taking Rance who is now struggling.

Dancin' Douggy
20-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Tambling had such a huge reputation.
Was it completely delusional?

Richmond, specially in the Plough era destroyed alot of players.

Maybe with a clear role to play he might be ok?

I've never seen him do anything to make me really stand up and take notice.

But. Harbrow only ever teased until he was named as a permanent back pocket.

If they don't want too much maybe he's worth a punt.

Rocco Jones
20-09-2010, 11:45 PM
While I see upside in Tambling, I don't think he really suited to playing under Rocket.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 08:51 AM
He's quick and has good skills, but he too frequently seems to be running without a direction. I agree with Mofra though, a better side may give him more of an idea about where to run. Maybe, depending on the price.
A mate of mine said the same thing about Harbrow when he has the ball.

Mantis
21-09-2010, 09:32 AM
What is even funnier about the whole McMahon / Ward trade is I remember they spent quite a bit of time deciding who to chose with Pick 18. They ended up taking Rance who is now struggling.

Had Richmond not taken Rance at pick 18 we would have been in the same position (spending extra time) as we rated Rance highly too.

I have heard that Richmond were trying to split Rance and Scott Selwood meaning Ward wasn't even on their short list.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 12:38 PM
We would have taken Rance, who was actually starting to show some form that year before he got his face caved in.

As it is, Howard is a reasonably similar type, probably less physically endowed but with a better kick, so we came out of it pretty well.

Rocco Jones
21-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I mentioned it earlier but what do you guys think about how Tambling would go under Eade.

It seems obvious that Eade isn't really up for players with self-motivation/intensity issues and Tambling definitely seems to fit into that category IMO. It's not meant to be a pure attack on Eade, just not the type of player that will flourish under him.

comrade
21-09-2010, 01:52 PM
I mentioned it earlier but what do you guys think about how Tambling would go under Eade.

It seems obvious that Eade isn't really up for players with self-motivation/intensity issues and Tambling definitely seems to fit into that category IMO. It's not meant to be a pure attack on Eade, just not the type of player that will flourish under him.

He developed guys like Gilbee and Hargrave into top line footballers, despite some intensity/confidence issues.

I think Rocket struggles a bit with the flaky Gen Y types, of which Tambling doesn't seem to be one.

I think he'd fit in well.

Rocco Jones
21-09-2010, 01:58 PM
He developed guys like Gilbee and Hargrave into top line footballers, despite some intensity/confidence issues.

I think Rocket struggles a bit with the flaky Gen Y types, of which Tambling doesn't seem to be one.

I think he'd fit in well.

I was thinking of those guys but is it about Gen Y or Rocket not being up for the challenge/annoyance of dealing with those guys anymore?

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 02:19 PM
A mate of mine said the same thing about Harbrow when he has the ball.

This I too find weird. He's so quick that he bursts away from packs, but then he doesn't slow down or turn around or go in a more fruitful direction, tends to just kick in the direction he is facing, which is more often than not backwards.

Has more time than he realises sometimes.

Mofra
21-09-2010, 04:31 PM
This I too find weird. He's so quick that he bursts away from packs, but then he doesn't slow down or turn around or go in a more fruitful direction, tends to just kick in the direction he is facing, which is more often than not backwards.

Has more time than he realises sometimes.
Isn't that similar to what Eade said of Picken before we rookied him? He has pace, but uses it to run directly into the opposition?

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Anyone think he might be getting very injury prone now?

Seems to start playing good football & then gets struck down.

Go_Dogs
21-09-2010, 07:07 PM
At the right price he's certainly worth consideration as he'll fill a big need in the shorter term whilst we develop a few younger guys who can play a similar role.

macca
22-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Tambling is a clanger king. Absolute no. How did he ever get picked as number 1 draft pick ?

The Coon Dog
22-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Tambling is a clanger king. Absolute no. How did he ever get picked as number 1 draft pick ?

He didn't, like Farren Ray & Tim Walsh, he was a number 4 pick!

G-Mo77
22-09-2010, 09:06 AM
I've read this from a few places but it is rumored he went into the WO for a medical.

It's just a rumor, there may not be any truth to it at all.

Ozza
22-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't think there's much danger of us getting Tambling.