PDA

View Full Version : Fremantle - New Jumper & Logo

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/fremantle_images/2009_Promotion_Pics/2010BrandLaunch246B.jpg

FREMANTLE will embark on an ambitious new era on the field with a new club jumper and logo, but its contentious team song will remain unchanged for now.

In an overhaul of the club's 16-year image, Fremantle has removed the anchor and the red and green panels from its jumper, replacing them with three white Vs on a purple home strip and three purple Vs on a white clash strip.

The changes follow the conclusion to a 15-year battle with clothing giant Levi Strauss and Co, which now allows the club to refer to itself as the 'Fremantle Dockers' and the 'Fremantle Dockers Football Club'.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103560/default.aspx)

mjp
01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
The new jumper looks very good.

Has come a long way from the ridiculous 4-colour panels. Clash jumper still looks horrible, but then again I hate all-white guernseys.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Looks great - I'm a fan of it.

Sockeye Salmon
01-10-2010, 05:38 PM
At least they look like real footy jumpers.

A nana can knit them and a 7yo can draw them, so they meet all the criteria.

PS. I love white clash jumpers as long as they still look like footy jumpers. Ours is great, Carlton's is great.

Brisbane's white one with the piss stain around the bottom is terrible.

AndrewP6
01-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what did they officially refer to themselves as, before the changes? I thought they were already the Fremantle Dockers?

The Coon Dog
01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what did they officially refer to themselves as, before the changes? I thought they were already the Fremantle Dockers?

Not for clothing merchandise they weren't.

chef
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I like:)

comrade
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Much, much better.

Now that they've gotten rid of that bloody anchor and have a good team, Freo aren't the laughing stock of the AFL anymore.

Thank god for Richmond. And Michael Voss.

The Pie Man
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Helps to recognise some South Freo roots with the design I suppose as well, beside the colours of course.

Good look.

Someone was trying to tell me that the green and red parts at the top of their jumper were devised to appeal to the large Italian community in Perth - WA based posters, anything in that?

chef
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Helps to recognise some South Freo roots with the design I suppose as well, beside the colours of course.

Good look.

Someone was trying to tell me that the green and red parts at the top of their jumper were devised to appeal to the large Italian community in Perth - WA based posters, anything in that?

I though it was something to do with Port and Starboard.

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Looks like my Ascot Vale Primary School footy jumper! Might have to get one.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
At least they look like real footy jumpers.

A nana can knit them and a 7yo can draw them, so they meet all the criteria.

PS. I love white clash jumpers as long as they still look like footy jumpers. Ours is great, Carlton's is great.

Brisbane's white one with the piss stain around the bottom is terrible.

Hey! You stole my nana line.

I totally agree with all that. The best jumpers are those that remain simple while being unique. I love Freo's. Ours was great but I really can't stand logos on jumpers, I do like monograms though.

Grantysghost
01-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Looks crap. I liked the old one, had some originality this one is plain and boring!

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/fremantle_images/2009_Promotion_Pics/launchstory246b.jpg

KT31
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Looks heaps better than the old one.
No anchor around the neck.
Betterthan with no green.

Grantysghost
01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I reckon this one was worth keeping - had some tradition at least... alas a thing of the past *sigh*

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/03/29/1225846/661788-fremantle-v-adelaide.jpg

Good to see the green gone though, agree with that.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I lived in WA for a couple of years and from my experience Freo fans seem to see purple as far and away the most important superficial aspect of the club. To me it seemed like they cared about it more than the Dockers and preferred the purple haze jumper to their others so I don't think it would be going against any 'tradition' the club has (if it can have any), actually more so straightening what the fans identify with the club.

mjp and other WA posters might correct me/think otherwise.

Rocco Jones
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I reckon this one was worth keeping - had some tradition at least... alas a thing of the past *sigh*

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/03/29/1225846/661788-fremantle-v-adelaide.jpg

Good to see the green gone though, agree with that.

The new design has tradition. IIRC it's the same design as South Freo.

Dancin' Douggy
01-10-2010, 06:40 PM
I can't believe it. With the Port jumper and now this Sanity and style may actually be on the way back.
I never minded the anchor as an icon but you just cant beat a strong simple classic design.
Well done.
I was expecting the worst.

Flamethrower
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I love the new home jumper. Now we need the Dockers to get a new theme song and they might gain some respect from the rest of the competition.

mighty_west
01-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Much prefer the new design, looks like a real footy jumper, and not some whiz bang $250,000 graphic designed train wreck.

Next to go, that damn song!!!

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Looks really good, well done Freo.

Dancin' Douggy
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
If a kid can draw it in 5 seconds with a set of colour pencils or even crayons it's a good design for a footy jumper.

LostDoggy
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
-e9YCwc1XCo

AndrewP6
01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
A bit 'ho-hum' IMO... not a bad preseason jumper, but a bit dull. Don't mind just the purple (without the other colours) but the design's a bit boring.

AndrewP6
01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
What's the bit about the song and Levi-Strauss about?

GVGjr
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Looks really good, well done Freo.

Agreed. They have gone from a poor jumper to one of the better ones.

Dancin' Douggy
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
a bit 'ho-hum' imo... Not a bad preseason jumper, but a bit dull. Don't mind just the purple (without the other colours) but the design's a bit boring.

it's meant to be boring. Good footy jumpers are boring.

KT31
01-10-2010, 11:37 PM
it's meant to be boring. Good footy jumpers are boring.

Our isn't boring, it always excites me.:)

Ghost Dog
02-10-2010, 12:17 AM
That song! All the new ones are a bit awful.
Which is better do you think? Freo's or Gold Coast's?
Both for me are rated somewhere at the bottom of the list.

DOG GOD
02-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Cant say I'm a fan of the jumper. The plain purple with the ancor was better imo.

bornadog
02-10-2010, 12:45 PM
The new jumper looks very good.

Has come a long way from the ridiculous 4-colour panels. Clash jumper still looks horrible, but then again I hate all-white guernseys.

Me too, especially with the white shorts the whole outfit looks ridiculous.

mjp
02-10-2010, 02:49 PM

There aren't many things we don't agree on SS - our clash jumper and the potential impact of free-agency might just about be the only ones!

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Looks good but what's with these new club jumpers taking leaves from the Victorian state jumper?? Are Port and Freo trying to win friends?

mjp
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Looks good but what's with these new club jumpers taking leaves from the Victorian state jumper??

???

Are you saying the Victorian state jumper was the cue for this or the first South Freo strip from 1903 or whenever it was - all red with 3 white V's.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I actually thought their old strip was fantastic.
And green!
Green is great.
I can't understand why Gold Coast, with a chance to design a jumper from scratch, went with orange/red and yellow.
Looks like a McDonalds advert.

Daughter of the West
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
And green!
Green is great.
I can't understand why Gold Coast, with a chance to design a jumper from scratch, went with orange/red and yellow.

Maybe they're looking to pinch Macca's as a sponsor off Collingwood? :D

Murphy'sLore
05-10-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm a bit sad they've dropped the anchor.

The new jumper reminds me of Bill Oddie's purple trousers in the Goodies.

LostDoggy
12-10-2010, 09:08 PM
They should keep as much of the port and ocean - related references as possible. The anchor, the wharfie bloke who raises the anchor, the heave-ho. It locates them and gives them authenticity. Our club could do with incorporating some local references of its own (no that does not mean going back to the FFC name).

Sockeye Salmon
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
They should keep as much of the port and ocean - related references as possible. The anchor, the wharfie bloke who raises the anchor, the heave-ho. It locates them and gives them authenticity. Our club could do with incorporating some local references of its own (no that does not mean going back to the FFC name).

Vietnamese restaurant?

(It was too easy to say drugs and dole cheques, like sheep jokes for Kiwis).

KT31
13-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Vietnamese restaurant?

(It was too easy to say drugs and dole cheques, like sheep jokes for Kiwis).

Forges, Barkly or Poon's.:D

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Highpoint, Vic Uni, bad KFC, Scumshine.

Although, does 'Western' cover nouveau riche areas like Altona, Willy, Seddon etc.? Heck, could we claim the Docklands?

Mofra
13-10-2010, 02:48 PM
The new Freo jumper isn't bad, it looks like and older style Rugby League jumper to me, sans sleaves & collar.

KT31
13-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Highpoint, Vic Uni, bad KFC, Scumshine.

Although, does 'Western' cover nouveau riche areas like Altona, Willy, Seddon etc.? Heck, could we claim the Docklands?

Weribee surage plant, Time ball tower or the Westgate.

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2010, 09:32 PM

You feeling a bit homesick?

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Hoon drivers, concrete lawns, McMansions, panel vans, the Maribyrnong explosives factory, tramless streets.

ps. Got to love the smell driving home past Werribee. That's when you REALLY know you're not in Lorne anymore.

anfo27
21-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I have to congratulate Fremantle in changing their strip, although i would like it better if the away strip had black shorts.
Now for that god awful song, that song is easily the worst club song by the length of the flemington straight. That Ken Walther who wrote that garbage thinks its his best work in the 26 years he has been in the industry. Give it a spell Ken cause if thats the best you can do then you should have been on the dole years ago. I feel for the freo players having to get excited about singing heave ho way to go and give it the old heave ho. If i was a player there i would have it stipulated in my contract that under no circumstances will i ever sing that rubbish.
Having said all that I would have our song 2nd worst in the AFL.

The Underdog
21-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I have to congratulate Fremantle in changing their strip, although i would like it better if the away strip had black shorts.
Now for that god awful song, that song is easily the worst club song by the length of the flemington straight. That Ken Walther who wrote that garbage thinks its his best work in the 26 years he has been in the industry. Give it a spell Ken cause if thats the best you can do then you should have been on the dole years ago. I feel for the freo players having to get excited about singing heave ho way to go and give it the old heave ho. If i was a player there i would have it stipulated in my contract that under no circumstances will i ever sing that rubbish.
Having said all that I would have our song 2nd worst in the AFL.

If our song is worse than Port Power's I'm clearly deaf.

Greystache
21-10-2010, 12:58 PM

I think it is, ours has so many patches on it it feels like a jumbled mess.

anfo27
21-10-2010, 01:19 PM

I hate to admit it but as much as i love winning i hate our song.

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't think much of our song, either.

I must admit it does sound pretty good singing it after a win, but any other times it sounds like it's been mixed and matched over the years. Oh yeah, it has.

Love the Willi song.

GVGjr
21-10-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't think much of our song, either.

I must admit it does sound pretty good singing it after a win, but any other times it sounds like it's been mixed and matched over the years. Oh yeah, it has.

Love the Willi song.

Probably time for a change and yes the Williamstown one is pretty good. Not the one they play at Box Hill though. That version irritates me :)

The Underdog
21-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I hate to admit it but as much as i love winning i hate our song.

I didn't say it wasn't 3rd worst, just that Port's is more terribler, to my ears anyway.

The problem is if they tried to change it they would unquestionably just make it worse.

anfo27
21-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I didn't say it wasn't 3rd worst, just that Port's is more terribler, to my ears anyway.

The problem is if they tried to change it they would unquestionably just make it worse.

When i ever i hear the Melbourne song I always replace the 'and the' in the 'red and the blue' to white and wish they i could go back in time before Melbourne had that song and pass it off as our own.

Daughter of the West
21-10-2010, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=The Underdog;188052]I didn't say it wasn't 3rd worst, just that Port's is more terribler, to my ears anyway.

The Eagles one isn't that flash either, given all they tell us is that they're the West Coast Weagles (duh!) and they're flying high. Even my partner who barracks for WC hates it.

soupman
31-10-2010, 02:46 AM
The Eagles one isn't that flash either, given all they tell us is that they're the West Coast Weagles (duh!) and they're flying high. Even my partner who barracks for WC hates it.

The Best/Worst part of that song is the fake cheering in the background.

And I am another who doesn't actually like our song. I always imagine it being played on a Tuba and as a result it's a really slow and sombre tune.

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 10:30 AM
And green!
Green is great.

Nail on head. Would not be surprised to see Macca's as major sponsor very soon. Hungry Jacks have done very well out of Westcoast, remember.

mjp
31-10-2010, 01:12 PM
The worst part about the Fremantle song is the Heave-Ho part at the start...the 'Way to go, hit em up high hit em down below' or whatever bit sounds like a footy song and is fine.

West Coast's and Port's are woeful.

Our song is fine - the lyrics are great - but I just wish the music was a little more aggressive than the 'Sons of the Sea' backing track. I propose a 'Killing in the Name Of' remix that is sung from this point forward.

soupman
31-10-2010, 01:43 PM
The worst part about the Fremantle song is the Heave-Ho part at the start...the 'Way to go, hit em up high hit em down below' or whatever bit sounds like a footy song and is fine.

West Coast's and Port's are woeful.

Our song is fine - the lyrics are great - but I just wish the music was a little more aggressive than the 'Sons of the Sea' backing track. I propose a 'Killing in the Name Of' remix that is sung from this point forward.

I second this motion. Genius.