PDA

View Full Version : GSW - Recruiting Targets

The Coon Dog
10-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Going to be interesting to see which players are rumoured to be heading to GWS. At present the media seem all over Tom Scully heading north. Not good times on that front for Demons fans.

What does Scully do now? How does the pressure exerted affect him? I guess his manager has come out & publicly put on hold contract talks to the end of the year. How will Scully cope with the constant talk, particularly if it persists all season? Is he better off signing sooner rather than later?

Part of me feels sorry for Melbourne as I like the romance of a player playing his career with the one club, but on the other hand, the selfish part of me thinks it's better for Melbourne to lose a gun rather than us. Also, can't help thinking the karma bus might be paying them back for tanking.

Sheedy has also been fanning the flames at Collingwood with his bold declaration that he'll sign one of Pendlebury, Thomas or Swan.

Who do you see being on the radar from our club? I've heard that they're keen on Callan Ward & Easton Wood.

Maddog37
10-02-2011, 06:19 PM
I also reckon that the Dees were not overly loyal to Junior McDonald and Cam Bruce which may make someone like Scully think twice about how he views loyalty in football.

Hope we do not lose ward or wood. But the club is greater than the individual and the game is greater than the club so no sense worrying too much.

Pickenitup
10-02-2011, 07:06 PM
I am pretty sure both Cal and Easton are signed up i have heard though that Josh Hill has signed
for Gws

Bulldog Revolution
10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I also reckon that the Dees were not overly loyal to Junior McDonald and Cam Bruce which may make someone like Scully think twice about how he views loyalty in football.

Hope we do not lose ward or wood. But the club is greater than the individual and the game is greater than the club so no sense worrying too much.

Interesting maddog

I'd thought of the exact same thing, that maybe the Dees players did not feel they would be looked after

I didn't see enough of McDonald last year to know if he was done, but having Cam Bruce leave because he thought he'd be knifed isn't ideal

Our players can at least know that the club has looked after Johno, Eagle, Hahn etc as best it could.

We can criticise the club for those decisions but the message is clear that we (and Eade) looks after our players

The Coon Dog
10-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I am pretty sure both Cal and Easton are signed up i have heard though that Josh Hill has signed
for Gws

They are not.

AndrewP6
10-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Knowing the sort of bloke Tom is, I would normally think he'd stick with the club that gave him his AFL start. He's a good kid (sorry, young man!), super-dedicated to everything he does, has close ties with the family, and with the Dees new HQ at Casey Fields, can stay close to home. That said, the kind of dough GWS has to splash around is ridiculous, and would set him up for life. The point made about the treatment of Bruce is valid, too. As I said, normally I'd have said he'd stay, but obviously this is far from normal! I have a bad feeling he's a goner.

As for us, I agree TCD, Wood and Ward would be in their sights. After Harbrow hitting the road, I'm praying with everything crossed those two stay. I wouldn't be sad if they took (or already had) Josh Hill.

Sockeye Salmon
10-02-2011, 08:36 PM

I don't see what Melbourne did with McDonald or Bruce was disloyal. It's a harsh world and their time was up (Bruce was offered another contract).

The disloyal bit I don't like is trading off a player against his will. I don't mind a club having a quiet chat with a player to say they won't get much of a go next year and they would be better off looking elsewhere, but Bradshaw and Rischitelli had every right to tell Brisbane to bugger off.

Swoop
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
It's a fine line between trying to establish a strong young list as well as maintaining a good club culture, the list of established Melbourne players that felt they could have gone on but were cut runs deeper than McDonald & Bruce. It's hard for the club to preach loyalty when they have shown first hand how they will treat their star players who are coming towards the end. Brock McLean is a good example of someone who would have considered himself loyal but through the clubs actions began to ponder what else was out there. The only other two genuine veteran players in Green & Davey have both seriously considered offers in the past few seasons as well which doesn't send a great message to the rest of the playing group.

Sockeye Salmon
10-02-2011, 11:37 PM
I was under the impression that McLean walked rather than was pushed out?

Swoop
11-02-2011, 12:14 AM
He did walk out but my point is that seeing so many senior players shown the door would have made him question what he is actually loyal to and highlighted the cut throat business of it all. Considering Melbourne are paying the bare minimum in terms of their salary cap and that's taking into account that quite a few of their younger players have been placed on front loaded contracts in order to meet the minimum it couldn't have hurt to have kept one or two veterans.

I know you can argue that Bruce was offered a contract however considering the clubs past actions and treatment of it's senior players you can understand why he looked for security elsewhere. Rightly or wrongly this mindset has been created through the clubs past actions and is a dangerous precedent when trying to bring together a young group which will mature together and ultimately push their salary cap as they reach their peak.

Back on topic, I feel for Scully as he's damned no matter what he does, hopefully he has a level head on his shoulders and doesn't let the media speculation affect him too much otherwise it may be a long year for him. I don't think Trengrove has done him any favors either coming out stating he wants to play out his career with Scully, I know his intentions are good but he is purely fueling the fire created by the media

Ghost Dog
11-02-2011, 01:25 AM
the speculation was quite harmful to Ablett wasn't it? Remember the lengths he went to - trying to keep a lid on it - the "My mate Bomber" article in the Hun etc. Then he went North.
Made quite a lot of supporters resentful of GC. As you say swoop. going to be a long year for Scully.

Desipura
11-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I was under the impression that McLean walked rather than was pushed out?
He was pushed. With a 1st round pick on offer, I would have demanded he leave if I were the Dees!

Bulldog Revolution
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't see what Melbourne did with McDonald or Bruce was disloyal. It's a harsh world and their time was up (Bruce was offered another contract).

The disloyal bit I don't like is trading off a player against his will. I don't mind a club having a quiet chat with a player to say they won't get much of a go next year and they would be better off looking elsewhere, but Bradshaw and Rischitelli had every right to tell Brisbane to bugger off.

Maybe loyalty is not the right word to describe it, and perhaps its the fact that, as Bailey has admitted, they weren't handled well that has left a bad taste in the players mouth

History is going to look very unkindly on the Voss era in Brisbane

Sockeye Salmon
11-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Maybe loyalty is not the right word to describe it, and perhaps its the fact that, as Bailey has admitted, they weren't handled well that has left a bad taste in the players mouth

History is going to look very unkindly on the Voss era in Brisbane

It's a difficult one for clubs to handle.

You respect your clubs former stars but some of them simply won't go when it's time. Look at Doug Hawkins - if it was left up to Doug he would still be on our list (in 2003 he would have gotten a game).

Mofra
11-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know what sort of KPP talent that GWS would be targetting? Not sure who is out of contract around the AFL.
They will need big bodies to step in straight away in 2012.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know what sort of KPP talent that GWS would be targetting? Not sure who is out of contract around the AFL.

I have no idea but I assume that they will want at least one experienced foundation player in each line from front to back. Other than a ruck and perhaps a full forward this seems to be what the Suns did last year.

As good as Ward is I would have thought there would be another more "Marque" style player out there who would be higher up wish list.

TBH I actually think Barry Hall should be a target for GWS. Time will tell this season if there is another good year in him but INMHO he is exactly what GWS need to launch the club year one.

Murphy'sLore
11-02-2011, 02:44 PM
TBH I actually think Barry Hall should be a target for GWS. Time will tell this season if there is another good year in him but INMHO he is exactly what GWS need to launch the club year one.

He's still probably the only AFL player that Sydney-siders have actually heard of.

Mofra
11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
In the papers today that Taylor Walker from the Crows has put his contract talks off until the end of the season. Been dropped a few times - many Crows fans say unfairly, so there is further impetus to go beside merely $$$$

Desipura
11-02-2011, 04:15 PM
In the papers today that Taylor Walker from the Crows has put his contract talks off until the end of the season. Been dropped a few times - many Crows fans say unfairly, so there is further impetus to go beside merely $$$$
If he is going to be their "go to" forward, he will struggle big time!

Ghost Dog
11-02-2011, 04:25 PM
It's a difficult one for clubs to handle.

You respect your clubs former stars but some of them simply won't go when it's time. Look at Doug Hawkins - if it was left up to Doug he would still be on our list (in 2003 he would have gotten a game).

That's a classic.... made me laugh
I seem to recall Doug did have a bit of a comeback threat there for a while.

bulldogsman
11-02-2011, 04:51 PM

T Walker (Adelaide)
A Carlile (Port)

Those are the two I've heard and Barry Hall of course.

The Coon Dog
26-02-2011, 02:06 AM
Greater Western Sydney Giants' expanding hit list worries rivals

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 26 February

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/09/04/1225914/237420-callan-ward.jpg

GREATER Western Sydney's hit list continues to grow, with Western Bulldogs midfielder Callan Ward and Port Adelaide pair Alipate Carlile and Danyle Pearce believed to be in the new club's sights.

While the likes of Melbourne's Tom Scully, Geelong's Jimmy Bartel and Collingwood trio Dane Swan, Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas remain priorities for GWS, Ward has appeal as a second-tier target.

Drafted with pick No.19 in the 2007 draft, Ward is a hardened competitor and, after a 38-game apprenticeship, has enormous upside.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/greater-western-sydney-giants-expanding-hit-list-worries-rivals/story-e6frf9jf-1226012328842)

The Underdog
26-02-2011, 08:26 AM
I can't think of a single reason outside of money that any reasonably established AFL footballer would want to join this team from the beginning. The coach is a marketing tool who can't and won't shut his mouth. No one in the immediate area cares or is likely to in the foreseeable future. They'll have a much tougher row to hoe than Gold Coast from most perspectives. Aside from the AFL who'll give them all kinds of concessions and money until they're competitive and ideally win a premiership (so the Commission can sit and pat themselves on the back despite them probably having max. 10000 members), nobody particularly wants them to succeed.

Desipura
26-02-2011, 09:21 AM
The cost of living in Sydney is a bit more than Melbourne, 400k a year living in Sydney vs about 300-350k (by my estimate) living in your home town, not a huge difference.
Is it worth leaving a settled home with all your family and friends and an established team vs playing for a new franchise that is further away from success than us as it currently stands?

Mantis
26-02-2011, 09:42 AM
The cost of living in Sydney is a bit more than Melbourne, 400k a year living in Sydney vs about 300-350k (by my estimate) living in your home town, not a huge difference.
Is it worth leaving a settled home with all your family and friends and an established team vs playing for a new franchise that is further away from success than us as it currently stands?

Callan Ward playing with GWS earns $700K per year.

Callan Ward playing with WB earns $300K per year.

All estimates, but I would think he could potentially earn more than double by heading to 'falafel central'.

LostDoggy
26-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Callan Ward isn't worth 700K a year this year and most likely next year.
If they are going pump up unfulfilled talent then the competition will suffer.
GWS will be soulless for a long time.

Mantis
26-02-2011, 10:31 AM
The article says $2mil over 5 years so in hindsight my figure was well off.

If that is all they offer him I have no doubt he will remain with us.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2011, 10:37 AM
After watching Gary Rohan run around last night, he should be just about top of their list. He looked like a young Goddard to me. Perfect age, excitement machine and already living in Sydney.

Doggy
26-02-2011, 10:48 AM
:)He won't go. I have just sent him a letter with 2 bob enclosed.

GVGjr
26-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Even with the gap in money not being that huge the real selling factor might be the longer term deal. The security that it provides is a strong consideration.

I don't think it would be enough to get him to sign but it would be tempting.

Desipura
26-02-2011, 12:10 PM

So you agree with me.

anfo27
26-02-2011, 12:36 PM
A very close friend o mine is good friends with Jared Waites housemate. He saw him arond the xmas break and told him that Jared has been offered a big big bucks by GWS. He said that Jared was unsure whether he would take it or not. Apparently it all depends on how the team goes this year, he said if they do really well and it looks like they could have some success in the next few years he will stay but otherwise it will be his last oppourtunity to earn some big bucks. The housemate reckons he will take the money.

Mantis
26-02-2011, 05:25 PM
So you agree with me.

I assumed that they would offer him a bit more than $400K per year.

Desipura
26-02-2011, 07:55 PM
I assumed that they would offer him a bit more than $400K per year.

I was quoting the article. If they don't nett an A grader or 2, GWS will offer the 2nd tier players like Ward a lot more money

Remi Moses
26-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Got a relative who went to school with Callan ,Callan's best mate assured my relative he isn't going anywhere!Christ every player out of contract is linked with GWS,this is an awful time for the code IMHO.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 08:15 AM
"Casualty Ward?: Dogs rate Callan Ward very highly ... So do GWS. Mail is they are prepared to offer him more than 2.2 mill over 5 years."

from Mark Stevens (http://twitter.com/StevoHeraldSun) twitter.

Mantis
27-02-2011, 08:44 AM
"Casualty Ward?: Dogs rate Callan Ward very highly ... So do GWS. Mail is they are prepared to offer him more than 2.2 mill over 5 years."

from Mark Stevens (http://twitter.com/StevoHeraldSun) twitter.

Can he make up his mind?

On Friday he runs with 2.2mil on twitter and then 2mil in the Hun the next day... which is it?

Desipura
27-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Can he make up his mind?

On Friday he runs with 2.2mil on twitter and then 2mil in the Hun the next day... which is it?

Much of muchness, I personally think he would want a bit more than that to pack up and go.

Mantis
27-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Much of muchness, I personally think he would want a bit more than that to pack up and go.

Perhaps the offer is more as you can assume that the exact amount of the offer isn't really known.

jazzadogs
27-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Would Callan really leave though? He's a western suburbs kid, who I thought was a Dogs supporter all his life (or was he Essendon?). All his family are down here, he's clearly well-respected around our club and whilst he might earn a fair bit less, there's a much higher chance of success.

Also in a few years he will be one of the elite players at our club, and the gap between the GWS offer and what he'd earn with us would be significantly reduced.

Harbrow, I understood. If Ward leaves, I'd be upset.

GVGjr
27-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Would Callan really leave though? He's a western suburbs kid, who I thought was a Dogs supporter all his life (or was he Essendon?). All his family are down here, he's clearly well-respected around our club and whilst he might earn a fair bit less, there's a much higher chance of success.

He certainly wasn't a Bulldogs supporter as a youngster and I'm not sure respect around the club is a huge consideration.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2011, 12:01 PM
a whiff of flag success and the chance to enjoy the 'golden age' of bulldog supremacy might keep him around!

I see at Port they may be forcing players to put their cards on the table mid season eg Alipate Carlile, if players names get bandied about too much. So perhaps clubs have got to be a bit more proactive in protecting and clarifying player's priorities. Don't need the distraction.

Desipura
27-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Also in a few years he will be one of the elite players at our club, and the gap between the GWS offer and what he'd earn with us would be significantly reduced.

Harbrow, I understood. If Ward leaves, I'd be upset.

He was not a doggies supporter, at the time of the draft he would have been happy to go to wce

mjp
27-02-2011, 08:21 PM
We are going to lose someone. We might have already...all the GCS rumours came true - why would it be different with the Giants?

I don't have any inside info but I suspect he is gone, just as I suspect Taylor Walker and Alipate Carlisle are gone, and Tom Scully is gone...

Ghost Dog
27-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Um well Alipate has come out and said he wants another contract at Port.
I wouldn't be so sure about Scully either.
Ports strategy of declaring they will force players to declare their intentions by sitting down with them mid way through the season is a good one I think.

Maddog37
27-02-2011, 08:34 PM
But there were massive whispers Marc Murphy was gone to gws but he has re-signed so there still seems to be a bit of guess work going on.

azabob
27-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't have any inside info but I suspect he is gone, just as I suspect Taylor Walker and Alipate Carlisle are gone, and Tom Scully is gone...

It is interesting that at least 3 clubs involved in strong rumours regarding the Giants WB, Adel and PP also lost players to Gold Coast.

What does that indicate about the clubs / players?

Anything at all?

mjp
27-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Ports strategy of declaring they will force players to declare their intentions by sitting down with them mid way through the season is a good one I think.

Why? If the player says he has already signed (or says, "I still have a contract, I will wait till the end of the season thanks") what are they going to do? Stop picking them?

I can see that working a treat. In a battle for a spot in the 8, PA decide to send their best key defender back to the SANFL because he wont enter into discussions about a contract next year...

I don't know. Faced with a choice between Adelaide and Sydney, I pick Sydney. Faced with a choice between 5 years, 2.2 Million and 3 years, 1.2 million I pick 5 years. They are going to get players - they just are. And we can talk about loyalty and stuff all we like, but it is a profession for these guys (a short-lived one) and there is only one (max 2) decent contracts a player can get.

chef
27-02-2011, 08:46 PM
We are going to lose someone. We might have already...all the GCS rumours came true - why would it be different with the Giants?

Apparently Scully has been offered $4 Million over 5 years and there's rumblings Palmer from Freo has accepted to join GWS.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Why? If the player says he has already signed (or says, "I still have a contract, I will wait till the end of the season thanks") what are they going to do? Stop picking them?

I can see that working a treat. In a battle for a spot in the 8, PA decide to send their best key defender back to the SANFL because he wont enter into discussions about a contract next year...

I don't know. Faced with a choice between Adelaide and Sydney, I pick Sydney. Faced with a choice between 5 years, 2.2 Million and 3 years, 1.2 million I pick 5 years. They are going to get players - they just are. And we can talk about loyalty and stuff all we like, but it is a profession for these guys (a short-lived one) and there is only one (max 2) decent contracts a player can get.

Nobody said anything about sending anyone back to a lower tier. Bit punitive. As if Geelong were ever going to send Ablett back to the VFL for instance, even if they were 100% sure.
In that situation, at least you have some chance to consider list adjustment. Krakeur just walked out and nobody had any idea.

Just like any employer, You know you are going to have to fill a hole so knowing allows you to look ahead a little.

just the new ' staffing' landscape and clubs need minimal dispruption. One way of going about it.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Apparently Scully has been offered $4 Million over 5 years and there's rumblings Palmer from Freo has accepted terms.

wow. That's a bit more than I would have thought. I heard rumours he was very satisfied at the D's but with money like that.....

Greystache
27-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Apparently Scully has been offered $4 Million over 5 years and there's rumblings Palmer from Freo has accepted to join GWS.

I've got it on pretty good authority Tom Scully has been offered $1.6mil over 3 years- So $533K per season.

Given he is supposedly their number one target you would think Ward would be offered substantially less, and Wood less again. At a guess I Would say Ward's looking at $400-450k max. I'm not sure that's much more than we'd offer and we're the known entity.

chef
28-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I've got it on pretty good authority Tom Scully has been offered $1.6mil over 3 years- So $533K per season.

Given he is supposedly their number one target you would think Ward would be offered substantially less, and Wood less again. At a guess I Would say Ward's looking at $400-450k max. I'm not sure that's much more than we'd offer and we're the known entity.

I've got a mutual friend with one of the assistants from Melbourne and this is the rumour doing the rounds at the club.

Mofra
28-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I would expect Melbourne wouldn't that far short of GWS' offer if the above is true - they have spent 3 years front-loading contracts with the view of retaining the kids when they develop.

Mantis
28-02-2011, 11:07 AM

But it's going to get tight.

We have re-signed Cooney, Griffen and Lake in the last 18 months and would be on healthy wages. Our 27-29 year olds would also be on good wickets so to say that our offer to Cal could be up near $400k might be stretching it. Pretty sure Higgins is out of contact come the end of 2011 and if he improves (which it looks like he will) he won't come cheap either. Then you have Wood as well who looks ready to really improve.

It's going to be a tough year to re-sign everyone and to satisfy all the players requirements, James Fantasia is certainly going to earn his money if he can do so, but one would think we are going to lose a couple along the way.

Remi Moses
28-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Reckon he'll stay heard from good authourity. Can we just sign our blokes instead of playing this will he or won't he!!

The Coon Dog
28-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Can we just sign our blokes instead of playing this will he or won't he!!

How do you do that Remi? You can go to a player with the best offer imaginable, but if his manager says we want to wait until the end of the season, what can you do?

EasternWest
28-02-2011, 11:23 AM

We have re-signed Cooney, Griffen and Lake in the last 18 months and would be on healthy wages. Our 27-29 year olds would also be on good wickets so to say that our offer to Cal could be up near $400k might be stretching it. Pretty sure Higgins is out of contact come the end of 2011 and if he improves (which it looks like he will) he won't come cheap either. Then you have Wood as well who looks ready to really improve.

It's going to be a tough year to re-sign everyone and to satisfy all the players requirements, James Fantasia is certainly going to earn his money if he can do so, but one would think we are going to lose a couple along the way.

What are your thoughts as to whom the couple may be?

LostDoggy
28-02-2011, 11:30 AM

And why a couple?

Mantis
28-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Not sure.

As we have seen with most other reasonably successful teams over the past few years (esp. Geelong) your developing 'fringe' players are the ones who usually go looking for more opportunity/ $$'s. For that reason players like Hill, Addison & Reid (who probably has no real currency due to lack of footy, but could on back of good year) would be the most obvious ones.

As 'mjp' stated all the rumours in the past have been pretty spot on in regards to player poaching so for that reason you would think that Ward is going to be hard to hang onto... but I hope we can.

I guess if we keep all those you may have to start to cutting from the older players to ensure you keep your young talent together which isn't a great prospect, but it may have to happen.... Who knows??

It's certainly going to be an interesting year and will only get worse with free agency.

EasternWest
28-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Not sure.

As we have seen with most other reasonably successful teams over the past few years (esp. Geelong) your developing 'fringe' players are the ones who usually go looking for more opportunity/ $$'s. For that reason players like Hill, Addison & Reid (who probably has no real currency due to lack of footy, but could on back of good year) would be the most obvious ones.

As 'mjp' stated all the rumours in the past have been pretty spot on in regards to player poaching so for that reason you would think that Ward is going to be hard to hang onto... but I hope we can.

I guess if we keep all those you may have to start to cutting from the older players to ensure you keep your young talent together which isn't a great prospect, but it may have to happen.... Who knows??

It's certainly going to be an interesting year and will only get worse with free agency.

Yeah I agree with that. It's hard to believe we wont lose some. For reasons already stated I think we need to lock Ward down, or at least make that a real priority. But we need to be prepared to accept once again that an offer to good to refuse may be put before some of our young guns. Cheers.

As an aside, can someone fix the title of this thread. I know it's an innocent typo, but for some reason that GSW really bugs me. Not that I normally complain about words beginning with G on this forum being misspelled.

mjp
28-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Nobody said anything about sending anyone back to a lower tier. Bit punitive. As if Geelong were ever going to send Ablett back to the VFL for instance, even if they were 100% sure.
In that situation, at least you have some chance to consider list adjustment. Krakeur just walked out and nobody had any idea.

Just like any employer, You know you are going to have to fill a hole so knowing allows you to look ahead a little.

just the new ' staffing' landscape and clubs need minimal dispruption. One way of going about it.

Don't disagree GD, but isn't that really what our club tried to do with Harbrow last year...he wouldn't give a commitment either way, and come year end left anyway.

I understand what Port are trying to do - my point is what are they going to DO if the player refuses to commit either way? Nothing. So feel free to give it a go, but there is no chance an AFL player is going to tell his current club that he is moving on at years end...it isn't the NRL and that just wont wash with team-mates or particularly supporters.

Greystache
28-02-2011, 02:43 PM

It is. It's probably going to be a balancing act of managing the expectations of the 28-29 year old group. AFL footy is a pretty cut throat business, and while players seem to think it's a formality that each contract they sign will be an increase or at the very least be equal to their current deal, the reality is it's most likely their best footy is behind them and their future contracts should reflect that. Trimming back the salaries of players such as Gia, Gilbee, Murphy, Hargrave, Cross (putting aside veterans list situations) etc if where we'll find the money to keep the likes of Ward and Wood. Realistically we're in a strong bargaining position with some of these players because a) they're unlikely to generate much more currency outside of the Bulldogs, and b) in many cases we have young players coming through who can potentially take over their roles with little negative impact on the team long term if it means keeping an up and coming star.

Use Gia as an example (because it will make the Gia bashers happy), my educated guess would put him in the $350-450k bracket. If he were to walk, we'd be able to keep Ward, and players like Vez, Higgins, Addison, etc could pick up the workload to a degree. And if they all choose to stay at slightly reduced contracts it helps retain potential long term stars. I hope as a club we're prepared to be strong in negotiations, because my feeling is as a club we historically bow to the pressure of our senior players.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Don't disagree GD, but isn't that really what our club tried to do with Harbrow last year...he wouldn't give a commitment either way, and come year end left anyway.

I understand what Port are trying to do - my point is what are they going to DO if the player refuses to commit either way? Nothing. So feel free to give it a go, but there is no chance an AFL player is going to tell his current club that he is moving on at years end...it isn't the NRL and that just wont wash with team-mates or particularly supporters.

Yes I see your point MJP. I can't imagine barracking for a player who has publicly said they are moving on. Feels a bit mercenary. Its going to be an issue for us at some point I guess.

As for what to do, that would depend on the player. How important they are to the team plan. A coach has to work with the cattle he has, regardless of next season, even if supporters are not happy with it.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I would have thought after last year expressing a desire to move on, Josh Hill would be a likely target for GWS.

Maddog37
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
We can only hope!

Ward, Wood or Hill..........what the Americans call a no-brainer.

Dancin' Douggy
01-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I know this is just too obvious, logical, simple and fair,
so the AFL wouldn't really know what planet it came from, and would just start shooting at it.

BUT............
I would like to see this rule.

Teams who lose an uncontracted player to Gold Coast, are off limits to GWS.

ie, we lose Harbrow, Cats lose Ablett, Hawks lose Brown etc etc.

So the GWS vultures have to start circling other clubs because we've taken our 'hit for the team' as far as expanding the code goes.

Would seriously be awful to lose Ward one year after losing Harbrow while the fat cats like the pies and the blues sail through unbruised.

AWFULLLLL!!!!!!!

azabob
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
so the AFL wouldn't really know what planet it came from, and would just start shooting at it.

BUT............

So the GWS vultures have to start circling other clubs because we've taken our 'hit for the team' as far as expanding the code goes.

Would seriously be awful to lose Ward one year after losing Harbrow while the fat cats like the pies and the blues sail through unbruised.

AWFULLLLL!!!!!!!

Can't say I agree.

They are totally different teams coming in at different times.

Dancin' Douggy
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM
1 year apart.

soupman
02-03-2011, 12:14 PM

BUT............

AWFULLLLL!!!!!!!

Disagree.

I know TCD has made this point previously, but GC had the option of taking a player from each of the 16 clubs. They chose not to. However if they had've wouldn't that be a bit unfair of GWS to only be able to pick players from a handful of sides?

Dancin' Douggy
02-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah well it sucks anyway

boydogs
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Disagree.

I know TCD has made this point previously, but GC had the option of taking a player from each of the 16 clubs. They chose not to. However if they had've wouldn't that be a bit unfair of GWS to only be able to pick players from a handful of sides?

Yeah too unfair on GWS to have a restricted list of clubs to pick on

Yeah well it sucks anyway

It shouldn't if the compensation is fair. Particularly for a side like us coming to the end of an era with the class of 99. It may accelerate our rebuild somewhat.

inb4 Darryl Kerrigan argument.