PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane to Sack Fevola

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 12:24 AM
BRISBANE Lions will sack troubled footballer Brendan Fevola within the next few days. The Lions could make the official call as early as Monday, having held high-level talks yesterday at AFL headquarters...

Link Here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/brisbane-to-sack-fevola-20110218-1azqk.html)

G-Mo77
19-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the memories Fev.

YLNIcHVYLyo

OLD SCRAGGer
19-02-2011, 12:56 PM
He is a total flog, but gee, I feel sorry for him. I hope getting sacked doesn't tip him over the edge. :(

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 01:06 PM
He'll be paid out, why the sympathy?

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 01:13 PM

I wouldn't mind a few Million for a years work and then getting pissed & mucking up :rolleyes:

Stevo
19-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Despite his financial position he needs more help so I'm sympathetic to that. I know being the slow learner that he is it won't garner a lot of public support but I hope for his sake and the sake of his children that he gets his act together.
I don't necessarily wish him a lot of fortune in the future but I don't think now is the time to put the boot in.

comrade
19-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Despite his financial position he needs more help so I'm sympathetic to that. I know being the slow learner that he is it won't garner a lot of public support but I hope for his sake and the sake of his children that he gets his act together.
I don't necessarily wish him a lot of fortune in the future but I don't think now is the time to put the boot in.

Stevo, any insight into how Katherine Firkin feels about this latest Fev development?

AndrewP6
19-02-2011, 05:27 PM

More to do with his tenuous grip on a stable life, rather than any financial woes. Fev's clearly got some massive issues with addiction, and it's sad to see someone with such talent not being able to take control of their life.

And he's got kids. I feel for them.

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 06:39 PM
More to do with his tenuous grip on a stable life, rather than any financial woes. Fev's clearly got some massive issues with addiction, and it's sad to see someone with such talent not being able to take control of their life.

And he's got kids. I feel for them.

All his own doing. Everyone has issues, not everyone has a million per year.

Desipura
19-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Having a lot of money is not going to solve his issues.

AndrewP6
19-02-2011, 06:59 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GVGjr
19-02-2011, 07:13 PM
All his own doing.

Agreed and I doubt anyone is saying otherwise

Everyone has issues, not everyone has a million per year.

Is the money aspect of this issue relevant?
He doesn't need a hand out but by the sounds of things he might need a hand up.

The old saying of money can't buy you happiness really rings true with Fev. All it does for him is give him some more options than most others who are struggling with depression, addictions and in his instance, stupidty.

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Firstly Fev is entitled to every cent. Secondly I rather have money and in Fev's position than be broke.

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Having no money will?

JohnGentStand
19-02-2011, 11:41 PM
fev is a bloke who has never ditched the mentality of high school...
the world isnt going to sit around waiting for the penny to drop.
it's a massive shame as he is easily in the top 5 natural football talents going around...and most watchable at that.
i dont feel sorry for him, or pity him...when he grows up he can do that for himself!

Ghost Dog
19-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Having no money will?

This is going to sound Cliche, but pack him off to Calcutta to teach Cricket or someother.
Would sort him right out.

I feel sorry for him. Gambling addiction must suck. To have that much money and blow it.

Topdog
20-02-2011, 12:07 AM
When you have a gambling problem having more money isn't really a good thing.

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Gambling isn't his main problem. He is an idiot. At least the money will help him out in some areas. Gambling and having no money is worse.

Sedat
20-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Gambling and having no money is worse.
Wouldn't surprise me if Fev, in real terms, is not far short of penniless. He owes massive amounts to the bookies.

AndrewP6
20-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Gambling isn't his main problem. He is an idiot. At least the money will help him out in some areas. Gambling and having no money is worse.

An idiot he may well be, but how can we know his "main problem"? Plenty of people with addictions have had money, and it's been of no help to them at all.

Ghost Dog
20-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Firstly Fev is entitled to every cent. Secondly I rather have money and in Fev's position than be broke.

Really? Imagine trading places with Fevola for just a day. interesting.

You would rather be Fev with money minus the debt I assume. That's the killer. His spending habits will whittle whatever he manages to scrounge pretty fast.

My mum's a teacher, helps with adult literacy. One lady she taught was so addicted to pokies she had to go to all the venues and have herself blacklisted. She gambled her kids school money away.

Not a fun world to be in.

chef
20-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I for one feel sorry for him. I've had a couple of problems with addiction but was lucky enough to have had enough will power to get over them(maybe not over them, but have control of them).

He first needs to admit he a problem and he needs as much support as he can get.

azabob
20-02-2011, 09:53 AM

I am with you on this one Chops.

Yes he has massive issues and yes he has kids.

As Chops is saying, how many other people are out there is the same trouble as Fevola but with out his money and or support around him?

Plenty I would think.

Yes money won't fix his problem, but he is in a better position to receive help and get back on track than many others.

GVGjr
20-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Yes money won't fix his problem, but he is in a better position to receive help and get back on track than many others.

I don't understand why the money is the focus here. He has a problem to overcome regardless of what money he has access to. He has a gambling and a drinking issue (binge drinker I think) and having access to money isn't necessarily a good thing for him.

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 12:34 PM
An idiot he may well be, but how can we know his "main problem"? Plenty of people with addictions have had money, and it's been of no help to them at all.

We all knew he was an idiot well before his gambling issues came out. Its just one of his many problems.
Having money isn't gonna fix his problem but its certainly better than having no money and the problems. Not many people with similar issues get that luxury.
If owed $ and didn't have money coming in; I suspect I'll be in jail, be made to 'pay' or suddenly disappear.

GVGjr
20-02-2011, 12:48 PM
We all knew he was an idiot well before his gambling issues came out. Its just one of his many problems.
Having money isn't gonna fix his problem but its certainly better than having no money and the problems. Not many people with similar issues get that luxury.
If owed $ and didn't have money coming in; I suspect I'll be in jail, be made to 'pay' or suddenly disappear.

You questioned why people were showing him some sympathy and seem to think that because he has money, or will be paid a huge sum, it should cancel out any sympathy. I just don't think the two are linked. If someone has issues with gambling, depression or addictions regardless of their personal plight I think most other people would want to give them a hand up.

He's a fool of the highest order but I'd still like to see him turn this around.

ledge
20-02-2011, 01:11 PM
To put it in a nutshell you cant help anyone if they dont want to help themselves.
The main question I would like to know is...
Did Fev put himself into rehab meaning he might actually see his problem or did someone else put him in to try and help or just to make Fev look like he had seen the light?

If Fev himself has seen the light its great but going on what the AFL and Brisbane are doing it looks like he hasnt.

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 01:53 PM
You questioned why people were showing him some sympathy and seem to think that because he has money, or will be paid a huge sum, it should cancel out any sympathy. I just don't think the two are linked. If someone has issues with gambling, depression or addictions regardless of their personal plight I think most other people would want to give them a hand up.

He's a fool of the highest order but I'd still like to see him turn this around.

Its not just the money. I already said everyone has problems some more some less than him. Its all his own doing unlike many others. He has a network where he is getting help unlike many others. Maybe he has come to realisation that he has issues unlike many others. He has also had his day in the sun unlike many others.

I have a little bit of sympathy for him and I assume none of us know him personally, but its there are millions of people I sympathise before him.

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Totally agree GVGjr - plenty of people are in the same position as Fev, but the fact is that we know about his issues because it makes a good story and is printed and talked about. Having an addiction is not "all of his own doing" - it does frustrate me when people who have never had an addiction or obsessive thought or action just think the addictive person can just change it like that! Do people honestly believe that others want to live in a drug/alcohol/debt ridden world - most if they had a choice, would choose not to have an illness like this! Talk to a recovering alcoholic, talk to a recovering drug addict, and just find out how unhappy they are mostly. It's not just a black and white issue, there are many layers and shades of grey in between. :(

AndrewP6
20-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Totally agree GVGjr - plenty of people are in the same position as Fev, but the fact is that we know about his issues because it makes a good story and is printed and talked about. Having an addiction is not "all of his own doing" - it does frustrate me when people who have never had an addiction or obsessive thought or action just think the addictive person can just change it like that! Do people honestly believe that others want to live in a drug/alcohol/debt ridden world - most if they had a choice, would choose not to have an illness like this! Talk to a recovering alcoholic, talk to a recovering drug addict, and just find out how unhappy they are mostly. It's not just a black and white issue, there are many layers and shades of grey in between. :(

Well said.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Well said.

Thanks for the support Andrew!

chef
21-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Brisbane Lions axe shattered Brendan Fevola
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brendan-fevola-sacked-from-lions/story-e6frf9jf-1226009078263

Crazy Vossy has seriously screwed this club for years to come.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Whats the story with the pay out? I hear rumours the AFL are helping out. Why have a salary cap if thats the case?

Desipura
21-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Bacause he has an addiction, regardless of how much he gets paid out, its not going to get rid of his addiction.

Desipura
21-02-2011, 09:16 AM

a) Would you rather have money and an addiction?

b) Have no money and no addiction?

I would be interested in your response.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Sorry, I dont have sympathy for him.

He is/was a super star, he fluffed it. He did, many times. Other people have issues too but there are no excuses for being an idiot over and over again.
He may be down and out now he has the power to get back on his feet. he has over a million dollars to sort out his debt and himself and he would be welcomed at GWS next year. The are media opportunities too. Other people don't have the opportunities that he has had or still has.

Maddog37
21-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Would not surprise me if the pies pick him up in the draft.

I feel sorry for him and also acknowledge he is an idiot that made his own bed and now must lie in it.

To me though he just is not mentally equipped to deal with both the pressure and perks that come with being an AFL star. I am sure this is a story that has been played out by many footballers of lesser ability and garnered no attention from the media.

I have never met him but from afar he seems to me that he would never intentionally hurt anyone. He is just a victim of his own stupidity. Sad really.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Bacause he has an addiction, regardless of how much he gets paid out, its not going to get rid of his addiction.

Already explained my point here.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 01:25 PM

And here, not going over it again.

Desipura
21-02-2011, 01:32 PM
And here, not going over it again.

Well then, I just dont get what you are saying

JohnGentStand
21-02-2011, 07:01 PM

well speaking for myself....and perhaps Charlie Sheen, I could handle loads of money & an addiction for a while.....but I am shallow & that helps :)