Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  52
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ben Cousins again

In theory (and I'm sure practically in many cases) jail's not the answer - my late brother did a 6 month stint a few years before he passed away, and the day he got out he looked the best he had in years.

It only lasted hours, but I'll never forget how alive he looked and how clearly he could communicate the day he got out.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yesterdays breach could be nothing if his version of the story is correct. Suppose we find out today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yesterdays breach could be nothing if his version of the story is correct. Suppose we find out today
    Correct and he has to get out of W.A.

5. Thanks AndrewP6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The AFL has offered to put him into rehab. Fantastic of them to make the offer
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The AFL has offered to put him into rehab. Fantastic of them to make the offer
    From what he was saying yesterday then he sounds due. He sounded like a man who wants to escape.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

This has become a truly, truly sad story. He's gone from having the world as his oyster to a life virtually lived in the gutter.

He's virtually unemployable at the moment, a testament to poor management during his career.

The curse of Ricky Nixon strikes again. Extract maximum value for the now and *!*!*!*! the future, because that's not my problem.

He did it to Carey and now he's doing it to Cousins. He could have set Ben up for life. He set himself up for life instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    This has become a truly, truly sad story. He's gone from having the world as his oyster to a life virtually lived in the gutter.

He's virtually unemployable at the moment, a testament to poor management during his career.

The curse of Ricky Nixon strikes again. Extract maximum value for the now and *!*!*!*! the future, because that's not my problem.

He did it to Carey and now he's doing it to Cousins. He could have set Ben up for life. He set himself up for life instead.
    Unfortunately, the karma bus ran him over. Couldn't have been sweeter watching him sink.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Unfortunately, the karma bus ran him over. Couldn't have been sweeter watching him sink.
    I've read that sentence a couple of hundred times and I don't get it. What was unfortunate about the karma bus running over Ricky Nixon? Was it the fact it didn't go into reverse and back over him again and again?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It's being reported over here that Ben will refuse the AFLs offer for paid rehab as he does not think he could cope with it. His close friends are asking that he is locked up instead of rehab.
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

As much as I loath Nixon, they themselves are as much to blame or more for their diabolical decisions.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

As a football manager I would imagine it's to get the best deal possible for a player .. Not sure they would be the financial advisor as well.
    Carey shagged his ex captains wife and his career went down from their. How's that got anything to do with Nixon?
    I don't see how Nixon has anything to do with how they spent their money.
    All football managers would have seen clients go down hill, during and after their career, not a players manager job to plan their bank accounts.
    I agree Nixon is a tool but with his own life not the players he managed. Unless he was involved in making them drug addicts.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I agree Nixon is a tool but with his own life not the players he managed. Unless he was involved in making them drug addicts.
    In the Ben Cousins documentary Such is Life Nixon is trying to get him to stop associating with certain people in Perth and Cousins was clearly not accepting his advice. Cousins ignored a lot of advice from family, friends and managers and that is the nature of his illness.
    Like you I'm not sure there is clear evidence that Nixon played a role in Cousins demise but maybe a better manager would have brought things to a head rather than reluctantly accepting it.

Post Thanks / Like

In the Ben Cousins documentary Such is Life Nixon is trying to get him to stop associating with certain people in Perth and Cousins was clearly not accepting his advice. Cousins ignored a lot of advice from family, friends and managers and that is the nature of his illness.
    Like you I'm not sure there is clear evidence that Nixon played a role in Cousins demise but maybe a better manager would have brought things to a head rather than reluctantly accepting it.
    In hindsight
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that a bit like saying that; better parents would have brought it to a head - ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Isn't that a bit like saying that; better parents would have brought it to a head - ?
    Maybe. I'm saying that his manager knew there were issues and tried to talk to the player about it but once a defiant Cousins wouldn't listen I think Nixon just accepted it and I'm not that all other managers would have. I would have looked to terminate the relationship if you don't think you can help turn it around.

I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to have to endure what the Cousins family has and they seem like a great family.