Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  52
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ben Cousins again

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Over Ben Cousins.......

The parents arer the ones suffering here and their son a DH who can't help himself.
    A bit simplistic to say he "can't help himself". And the media, by doing this sort of thing, only make it worse for his parents.

As for being over him, welcome to the mainstream media's MO. Find someone, who for one reason or another, is in strife. Then hound them incessantly, until they reach, or come near to breaking point. Then go back to HQ and write a "story" of how he/she is at breaking point, or how they exploded into a fit of anger. Then having pecked at them like vultures, call yourself a journalist, and receive kudos for breaking the big story. Ben isn't calling the media and asking them to follow his every move.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Ben Cousins as we all know was a great player of course winning a Brownlow and a premiership but outside of football it has been a disaster for him. Cousins clearly needs help with this drug problem. Hopefully for himself and his family it can have a good ending like Murphy'sLore said. I heard though that it was possible that he could go to jail for up to 25 years but is that really the place where he should be? What happened with his rehab?

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't he on the way to rehab when he was caught this time? Which suggests he hasn't been taking it as seriously as he should be (to put it mildly).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He has to expect it, he has made big money out of the media, if you use it for your advantage at times you have to take the good with the bad.

Especially when he made a special about his drug addiction that was so popular people want to know the next episode.

Cold facts are if he doesnt want the media around him its too late when he is a human headline created by himself.
    Sorry but thats rubbish. The facts are that he's a retired footballer, and like many in the community, has a serious illness which he clearly is struggling to deal with. He made the special to highlight the dangers of drugs, and the public treated it like they were watching a soap opera, not a real story on the the horrific effects of drug addiction. Why is it his fault the public are so bloodthirsty they wanted another "episode"? Thats more of an indictment of the society we live in that people take joy out of the misery of others. And make no mistake, no one with an addiction is happy about it.

"It's too late"? Why is that? He's long been retired. He has the right, as he's not involved in sport, media to some privacy. But the vultures will surround him, until it actually is too late, then they'll eulogise him. Pathetic.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Over Ben Cousins.......

The parents arer the ones suffering here and their son a DH who can't help himself.
    This.

If it was an everyday person no one would care. Choice's are made in life if you make the bad one's it's on you. People try to steer you in the right direction if you continue to go the wrong way it's on you. People who don't want to be helped can't and Cousins fits that mold. Cousins has been given more help than most addicts and still continues down this path. I don't know why people should feel sorry for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Sorry but thats rubbish. The facts are that he's a retired footballer, and like many in the community, has a serious illness which he clearly is struggling to deal with. He made the special to highlight the dangers of drugs, and the public treated it like they were watching a soap opera, not a real story on the the horrific effects of drug addiction. Why is it his fault the public are so bloodthirsty they wanted another "episode"? Thats more of an indictment of the society we live in that people take joy out of the misery of others. And make no mistake, no one with an addiction is happy about it.

"It's too late"? Why is that? He's long been retired. He has the right, as he's not involved in sport, media to some privacy. But the vultures will surround him, until it actually is too late, then they'll eulogise him. Pathetic.
    Because thats how it is.
    And the media know it makes a story people will read and so does Ben.
    Facts are he is a human headline built by the media and himself.
    And yes they probably will eulogise him.

I didnt say it was right its just how it is and what to expect.
    Flying in a plane with drugs being who he is and who he was, of course the media are going to be vultures its their job.
    He is a live well known drug addict, the story will always be there until he conquers it (then its a feel good story) or if it all gets worse.

Its sad he is a drug addict, the whole affair is sad but he has no doubt had the best chances to get out of it too, he wont get the support he had at footy clubs because he isnt involved anymore.
    Maybe prison time could help i dont know but the fact is he is a good story of following a drug addict and anything to do with it the vultures will be there he has to accept this.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

you answered your own question.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    This.
    If it was an everyday person no one would care.
    Nonsense. Maybe you wouldn't, maybe many wouldn't, but there are people that do.

Choice's are made in life if you make the bad one's it's on you. People try to steer you in the right direction if you continue to go the wrong way it's on you. People who don't want to be helped can't and Cousins fits that mold. Cousins has been given more help than most addicts and still continues down this path. I don't know why people should feel sorry for him.
    Because he has an illness. He is a father, a son, a brother and a human being. Heaven help anyone who had/has a loved one in a similar situation. What's wrong with thinking about and feeling compassion for others?

Humankind really bothers me sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    you answered your own question.
    Your responses say a lot about the world we live in today. No wonder people are trying to find ways to escape, with heartless, cynical people surrounding them every where they turn.

Post Thanks / Like

Because he has an illness. He is a father, a son, a brother and a human being. Heaven help anyone who had/has a loved one in a similar situation. What's wrong with thinking about and feeling compassion for others?

Humankind really bothers me sometimes.
    I feel compassion for those who deserve it. I feel compassion for the people that live with the threat of bombs falling on their homes every day, I feel compassion for the same people being treated like viruses when they try to flee their homes in search of a better life, I feel compassion for the starving, I feel compassion for the poor, I feel compassion for people who have lost loved ones and homes from fires, floods earthquakes etc. I could keep going.

What I don't have is compassion for someone who has had the world at his feet continued to make really bad choices and with all the help he has had continued to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though Cousins is very well known in the footballing world the media should not be reporting all the time on his drug problems. This issue is a personal one for him and for anyone else going through what he is going through well known or not as well known. That being said for who he is he will get media attention but at the end of the day he is not made from marble and granite he is human.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel compassion for those who deserve it. I feel compassion for the people that live with the threat of bombs falling on their homes every day, I feel compassion for the same people being treated like viruses when they try to flee their homes in search of a better life, I feel compassion for the starving, I feel compassion for the poor, I feel compassion for people who have lost loved ones and homes from fires, floods earthquakes etc. I could keep going.

What I don't have is compassion for someone who has had the world at his feet continued to make really bad choices and with all the help he has had continued to do the same.
    So you can't accept he has an illness?

Post Thanks / Like

So you can't accept he has an illness?
    So did he have an illness when he first tried drugs?

Post Thanks / Like

sub-editors have got it so easy.....

Bad Boy Benny Bolts on Bail for Bumming Banned Booty
    I'm paying money, the girl's happy, she's got no money, I got my rocks off, how good is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Even though Cousins is very well known in the footballing world the media should not be reporting all the time on his drug problems. This issue is a personal one for him and for anyone else going through what he is going through well known or not as well known. That being said for who he is he will get media attention but at the end of the day he is not made from marble and granite he is human.
    He did make a special on his drug addiction for everyone to see,for good intention no doubt but doing that has now made it media attention and brought it to the publics attention, of course he is going to be watched in the future especially if he goes the wrong way.

The football side of him has finished its the drug problem that is now in the spotlight and how it pans out, I think most people would hope to see a good ending but its just not happening at the moment.
    Either way it goes he will be harrassed by media due to his coming out in a special he decided to do.
    Bring back the biff