Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  52
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ben Cousins again

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    So you can't accept he has an illness?
    You could pose the same question about every repeat offender of any crime. Clearly he has an illness. But does that mean he warrants pity or compassion? I have pity for him, though much more for his family and the others who he has hurt around him. I also believe he has been protected for far too long by others who stood to gain from his prowess and it is time he experienced some real and personal repercussions from his actions.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He did make a special on his drug addiction for everyone to see,for good intention no doubt but doing that has now made it media attention and brought it to the publics attention, of course he is going to be watched in the future especially if he goes the wrong way.

The football side of him has finished its the drug problem that is now in the spotlight and how it pans out, I think most people would hope to see a good ending but its just not happening at the moment.
    Either way it goes he will be harrassed by media due to his coming out in a special he decided to do.
    Disagree on that. he could become a fitness coach or given an opportunity to contribute in some minor way that would keep him busy. Demetriou and others come out and say 'Prison will be good for him' but these people have never been in a prison for any length of time I'd say.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Disagree on that. he could become a fitness coach or given an opportunity to contribute in some minor way that would keep him busy. Demetriou and others come out and say 'Prison will be good for him' but these people have never been in a prison for any length of time I'd say.
    You think a club will hire him?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

You think a club will hire him?
    No, I didn't say a club would be. but, a community sports group with connections to correctional services would be very interested in someone with Ben's life experiences; provided he can get himself clean for some period before he has a go. That would be long term. In the short term, he has to take it very slow for some years I suspect.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Ben Cousins as we all know was a great player of course winning a Brownlow and a premiership but outside of football it has been a disaster for him. Cousins clearly needs help with this drug problem. Hopefully for himself and his family it can have a good ending like Murphy'sLore said. I heard though that it was possible that he could go to jail for up to 25 years but is that really the place where he should be? What happened with his rehab?
    Yes if he is trafficking and ruining other people's lives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    . Clearly he has an illness. But does that mean he warrants pity or compassion?
    Yes, in my book, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I have pity for him, though much more for his family and the others who he has hurt around him. I also believe he has been protected for far too long by others who stood to gain from his prowess and it is time he experienced some real and personal repercussions from his actions.
    And you think he hasn't? Staggering.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, in my book, it does.

And you think he hasn't? Staggering.
    Do you think he could really go to jail or will he just go back to rehab.

Post Thanks / Like

He did make a special on his drug addiction for everyone to see,for good intention no doubt but doing that has now made it media attention and brought it to the publics attention, of course he is going to be watched in the future especially if he goes the wrong way.
    Him being watched isn't the issue, it is about him being hounded and harassed, and that journo going against his request.

Either way it goes he will be harrassed by media due to his coming out in a special he decided to do.
    Because he had the courage to open up and bring his addictions into the public eye, gives them the right to follow him around, invading what little privacy he has left?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think he could really go to jail or will he just go back to rehab.
    If he's found to have traficked, jail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    So did he have an illness when he first tried drugs?
    Many experts in the field will say yes, he did. Many believe the addiction is always present, it "appears" when the drug is used.

Post Thanks / Like

If he's found to have traficked, jail.
    If he goes to jail he might come out a better person and realize the bad choices he made and make sure it doesn't happen again. Treating the addiction should be a priority if he does not go to jail but he has to be committed to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I feel compassion for those who deserve it. I feel compassion for the people that live with the threat of bombs falling on their homes every day, I feel compassion for the same people being treated like viruses when they try to flee their homes in search of a better life, I feel compassion for the starving, I feel compassion for the poor, I feel compassion for people who have lost loved ones and homes from fires, floods earthquakes etc. I could keep going.

What I don't have is compassion for someone who has had the world at his feet continued to make really bad choices and with all the help he has had continued to do the same.
    Having "the world at his feet" is largely irrelevant, it has absolutely no bearing on him having an addiction. Many addicts are highly successful business executives. Nor can it be simplified to "making bad choices". That could explain the first time he used, but addiction is a neurological disease, not a lifestyle choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Having "the world at his feet" is largely irrelevant, it has absolutely no bearing on him having an addiction. Many addicts are highly successful business executives. Nor can it be simplified to "making bad choices". That could explain the first time he used, but addiction is a neurological disease, not a lifestyle choice.
    I agree AndrewP6. Drug addiction is real where as sex addiction I don't think there is such thing.

Post Thanks / Like

If he goes to jail he might come out a better person and realize the bad choices he made and make sure it doesn't happen again. Treating the addiction should be a priority if he does not go to jail but he has to be committed to it.
    I know what you mean, but addiction doesn't make one a bad person. We don't say all smokers are bad people, yet smoking is an addiction.He might also get access to drugs made in a backyard, and end up leaving in a jail in a wooden box.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, but addiction doesn't make one a bad person. We don't say all smokers are bad people, yet smoking is an addiction.He might also get access to drugs made in a backyard, and end up leaving in a jail in a wooden box.
    Very true. These people who have an addiction are not all bad people like some people suggest.