Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cooney - Gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cooney - Gone?

He looked like he was counting down the days till he's playing somewhere else tonight. He should never have come straight into the team.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Has he really been that good this year?

Considering Smith had been in fantastic form in the VFL, and Honeychurch had been good the last two weeks, and Cooney hasn't played for 4-5 weeks, he really shouldn't have come straight back.
    Up to the Collingwood game I thought he was quite good. While he had one or two performances where he was a little bit off in terms of intensity I thought he'd had an improved year and consolidated his career. His numbers in a lot of ways back that up, especially when early on Griff was out and Libba was playing a little bit shy of his best.

Agree that Smith has been playing well and was a little unfortunate not to get a senior game this week, Honeychurch on the other hand has had his taste and didn't do a great deal without being poor (kind of what you'd expect from a first year player).

My point about him being the sub (or being against it) was based around him needing some time to get into the game after a fair lay off. I do think he's been good enough to get an immediate recall, though I didn't think he would come in without being rusty, which as it turns out, he clearly was. In a sense he was on a hiding to nothing, and while it might have been better for all concerned for him to play twos this week, starting on the ground might have meant ten or fifteen minutes early of him being a liability and getting into it, rather than him being a liability with only 30 minutes to make an impact.

Dumb move by the MC playing him as the sub.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rance Fan View Post
    Called it 2 years ago, but surely the time has come..Cooneys gone. No impact as a sub! Would of rathered Gia come on!!
    Keep calling it Rance he's nearly 29 you'll eventually be right. It was his fault we lost! Now it's his fault Clay did his knee

Maybe we should look at why Picken was taken off if you want someone to blame.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Up to the Collingwood game I thought he was quite good. While he had one or two performances where he was a little bit off in terms of intensity I thought he'd had an improved year and consolidated his career. His numbers in a lot of ways back that up, especially when early on Griff was out and Libba was playing a little bit shy of his best.

Agree that Smith has been playing well and was a little unfortunate not to get a senior game this week, Honeychurch on the other hand has had his taste and didn't do a great deal without being poor (kind of what you'd expect from a first year player).

My point about him being the sub (or being against it) was based around him needing some time to get into the game after a fair lay off. I do think he's been good enough to get an immediate recall, though I didn't think he would come in without being rusty, which as it turns out, he clearly was. In a sense he was on a hiding to nothing, and while it might have been better for all concerned for him to play twos this week, starting on the ground might have meant ten or fifteen minutes early of him being a liability and getting into it, rather than him being a liability with only 30 minutes to make an impact.

Dumb move by the MC playing him as the sub.
    Agree with this.

You could argue that Essendon made exactly the same mistake with Hibberd who stank up the place last night after missing several games. I at least give our MC some credit for playing Cooney sub rather than starting him on the ground. Once they decided to select him I thought starting him as sub was a pretty smart move.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I just think we ask him if he wants to chase a premiership. If the answer is yes, i'm sure contenders would love him at the right salary, and if it takes pick 25 to 17, then like Hrovat with Lake, if we nail the pick it's a win/win/win.

If he wants to stay on the other hand...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He looked like he was counting down the days till he's playing somewhere else tonight. He should never have come straight into the team.
    Not to coaching staff:

Don't play anyone as sub as a way of easing them back into senior footy after an injury break.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    Keep calling it Rance he's nearly 29 you'll eventually be right. It was his fault we lost! Now it's his fault Clay did his knee

Maybe we should look at why Picken was taken off if you want someone to blame.
    Please don't make me sadder...
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take back my idea of Cooney being Gia's replacement as the super sub.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I just think we ask him if he wants to chase a premiership. If the answer is yes, i'm sure contenders would love him at the right salary, and if it takes pick 25 to 17, then like Hrovat with Lake, if we nail the pick it's a win/win/win.

You would trade Cooney for an 8 pick upgrade? If was 15 down to 7 I could see your point but...

Cooney won't be going anywhere, he might be mates with Lake but he ain't Lake.

When he done his hammy that game he was on big time, he was by far best on at the time and really was set for a cracker.

I felt for him because he needs a game like that to remind our Faithful why we should not get rid of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I saw Coons in the coaching box both at VFL and afl level it made me think that he looked very motivated and interested in the club. Not actions I equate with someone disinterested or looking for a trade.

I simply think he struggled as the sub and needs a run or two to come good. Hindsight suggests that should have been in the VFL.

I look forward to the time in the not too distant future when Coons can be the cream on the cake with our young pups doing the grunt work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooner17 View Post
    You would trade Cooney for an 8 pick upgrade? If was 15 down to 7 I could see your point but...

Cooney won't be going anywhere, he might be mates with Lake but he ain't Lake.

When he done his hammy that game he was on big time, he was by far best on at the time and really was set for a cracker.

I felt for him because he needs a game like that to remind our Faithful why we should not get rid of him.
    Mate I think BT was saying a trade for a pick between 17-25 wouldn't be the worst outcome for us, rather than just an upgrade of picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Lets get rid of another club champion, that is the bulldogs way.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lets get rid of another club champion, that is the bulldogs way.
    As per Jeemak's post above. I'm not saying trade him, i'm saying ask him if he wants to chase a flag as a part of a broad discussion with him about where he's at body wise, mind wise, motivation wise etc, etc.

If he says something like 'I think i've got one good year, i'd regret not chasing a flag, (insert team) says they'd take me on on the same salary and i'd be keen.' Then the clubs work out an upgrade which we're happy with.

If he says I want to stay, I love the club, I want to see these kids win a premierships even if it means I will never get one. Then the answer is bloody obvious what we do. I've never suggested we get rid of any club champion, a few spuds over the journey i've been tough on maybe.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The year we picked up Cooney,we also coughed up pick 6 for a key forward from Hawthorn who had a dodgy knee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    The year we picked up Cooney,we also coughed up pick 6 for a key forward from Hawthorn who had a dodgy knee.
    I thought Veale's knees were ok.