Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lost Dogs home plea

A QUARTER of the Western Bulldogs' 2011 members have gone missing.

The club is struggling on-field with three losses to start the season, but the Dogs' off-field chase for 8000 members who have not re-committed is just as serious.

After last year signing 32,500 members, the Dogs set a target of 33,000 for this season.

But the Dogs are still below 28,000 and more than 5000 short of expectations.

Given the start to the season, the Dogs may have to settle for fewer than 30,000, which will have a significant impact on their bottom line.

"It would be foolish to suggest some prospective members would now be holding off, but membership is our lifeblood," Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said.

"We still have 8000 from last year who haven't renewed . . . it is critical they get on board at times like this. I am confident the boys will play some exciting footy in coming weeks and for the rest of the year."

Garlick described the 63-point loss to St Kilda on Saturday night as "very disappointing".

"Given the promise we had showed, it was a surprise, but it was one game," Garlick said.

If the Dogs fall 2000 short of expectations on membership, it will cost them in the region of $200,000.

Garlick said that could have an impact on the club's football department funding and he urged fans to sign up.

The Bulldogs confront Melbourne in a must-win game at the MCG on Sunday and have the advantage of a Round 5 clash with Greater Western Sydney in Canberra. They then play Collingwood, North Melbourne and Gold Coast.

A loss to Melbourne would be disastrous in a football and membership sense, but a win would allow the Dogs at least to get back to a 2-3 record after five games, given GWS is a glorified bye.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lost Dogs home plea

Disappointing but hardly surprising.
    Unfortunately every fan base of every sport has glory hunter bandwagon types!
    Probably going to get my brother a membership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post

A loss to Melbourne would be disastrous in a football and membership sense, but a win would allow the Dogs at least to get back to a 2-3 record after five games, given GWS is a glorified bye.
    Not that confident we will beat gws!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Why its so important to win early games in the season and generate some hype with fickle supporter segment

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post
    Why its so important to win early games in the season and generate some hype with fickle supporter segment
    Because we need the fickles. If we had a larger supporter base we wouldn't feel it so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Does this message get rehashed every year?

I once heard Campbell Rose say we had the lowest 'churn rate' in the AFL, somewhere around 7%, now each year its around 25%.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right and I'm pretty sure it was 8,000 mentioned as well.

Post Thanks / Like

When will supporters not become fickle? Membership is being part of an organisation not just a ticket to the football.

This is what the club should be pushing not just the games entry. How many so called friends do we have on Facebook. The people are out there, they just don't want to put their hand in their pocket.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's fortunate for us that we do have a pretty loyal foundation of members. If we lost every game this year you'd probably get 20-22k that will still sign up regardless. I remember reading we have a pretty strong social club as well although I'd be interested to see the numbers in that now that a grand final seems so far away.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is time the playing group had a ring around. Simplistic but effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I think it is time the playing group had a ring around. Simplistic but effective.
    They'd probably get abused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Strongly agree. The supporters don't want a random person from the membership department calling them asking why they hadn't signed up again and if they were interested. If it was someone like Bob Murphy or Boydy, I think it would be a different story. Maybe listen to the reasons why they haven't signed up again and ask if they are interested, highlight some positives for joining up as a member.

If I didn't rejoin due to this years performance so far, and Bob called and asked me why I hadn't and wanted me to sign me up over the phone, I would find it hard to say no because I would appreciate the players using their time to assist the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Strongly agree. The supporters don't want a random person from the membership department calling them asking why they hadn't signed up again and if they were interested. If it was someone like Bob Murphy or Boydy, I think it would be a different story. Maybe listen to the reasons why they haven't signed up again and ask if they are interested, highlight some positives for joining up as a member.

If I didn't rejoin due to this years performance so far, and Bob called and asked me why I hadn't and wanted me to sign me up over the phone, I would find it hard to say no because I would appreciate the players using their time to assist the club.

I think that is a great idea. That would require the players making alot of phone calls though :s Hopefully we give Melbourne a hiding and same to GWS to give our forwards some confidence and help work on our structure, then give collingwood a good crack round 6 with their undermanned backline and few key position players out. If we have a close game with them you will see our membership rise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post

Great idea. Even if the players won't do it I'm sure there would be enough "passionate supporters" who would volunteer to do the ringing rather than an automated service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    When will supporters not become fickle? Membership is being part of an organisation not just a ticket to the football.
    That's your opinion and an opinion not shared by all.

I buy a membership for 2 reasons:

1. To support the club.
    2. Use the ticket to gain access to games I attend.

The reason I go games is to be entertained. Performances like we saw on Saturday where we kicked 2 goals up until junk time in the last qtr do nothing to entertain me and have me thinking that there is better ways to spend my time and money... And I'm not alone with these views.