Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Would we could we? Free Agency Ponderings #239

ADELAIDE coach Brenton Sanderson says the club would be shattered if it lost its two soon-to-be out of contract stars Patrick Dangerfield and Kurt Tippett.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...6/default.aspx

Two massive potential scalps. We Desperately need a key forward and desperately need an elite mid with speed.

What would it take? Could we afford it? Tippett will most likely be lured back to GC but maybe Dangerfield is keen to come home?

Discuss.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would we could we? Free Agency Ponderings #239

Don't take this the wring way TAC, but on here we were bleating about 2 of our young guns being lured by the all mighty dollar etc.. the feeling by & large rankled. Clearly we weren't happy, yet that's exactly what 's being suggested we do to someone else here. OK I guess as long as it isn't being done to us.

On topic, agree Tippett is likely to to find the lure of returning to the Gold Coast much more appealing (then again Mitch Clark wanted to return to WA to be near his family too) than coming to live in Melbourne.

For what you would need to pay Dangerfield (salary cap issues as a result too) I'm not sure he's worth it to be honest, huge difference between his best & his worst.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

For what you would need to pay Dangerfield (salary cap issues as a result too) I'm not sure he's worth it to be honest, huge difference between his best & his worst.
    But don't you get that with players his age?

In a futures market Dangerfield is worth as much as any player his own age... Would I give up one our top 5 or 7 picks we will have at the end of the year (and a bit more) for him... Yes I would.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a career best game weekend just gone. We'd be silly not to at least give it some thought, he'd be pretty handy for us at the moment and his outside game seems to be continually improving.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take this the wring way TAC, but on here we were bleating about 2 of our young guns being lured by the all mighty dollar etc.. the feeling by & large rankled. Clearly we weren't happy, yet that's exactly what 's being suggested we do to someone else here. OK I guess as long as it isn't being done to us.

On topic, agree Tippett is likely to to find the lure of returning to the Gold Coast much more appealing (then again Mitch Clark wanted to return to WA to be near his family too) than coming to live in Melbourne.

Yeah I agree and that was part of the "Would we" in the thread title I guess. I know that it is oft quoted on here that "trading is the work of the devil" but unfortunately trading (and scalping) will have a new emphasis in the new free agency world we will live in. I have already read talk that we will try to raid the young gun stocks of the new franchises and hit them harder than they hit us.

I think Dangerfield will be a brownlow medallist. His best is breathtaking and I agree that his form does fluctuate but even within the next few years I am tipping he will be in the top 10 in the competition.

I guess the real question is with a few key 'ins' do we think that we could challenge in the next few years (with the likes of Morris, Lake, Boyd, Gia etc. on board), or whether our next real crack is four or five+ years away?
    If we think two or so years is on the cards (and therefore a ready made is what we need) I think we should throw the kitchen sink at him.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more. He'd be ideal for us and we'd have salary cap room and earlier picks than the two mentioned. We've been bent over now it's time for payback!
    (Dangerfield)

Post Thanks / Like

When I think of Dangerfield I think of the uproar that occurred in SA when he was drafted ahead of Brad Ebert when he wasn't even going to come over to the club for the first year while he finished his studies.

He will be elite within 3 years, absolutely no question.

I'm not sure this really counts as a 'Free Agency Pondering' when neither of them are eligible for another 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

But it is going to be done to us again and again and to every other club as well. This unfortunately is the future of football and we need to be as proactive as possible.

I hope we do go after someone at the end of the year as we should have plenty of room in our cap.
    Last edited by chef; 03-05-2012 at 09:06 AM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    But don't you get that with players his age?

In a futures market Dangerfield is worth as much as any player his own age... Would I give up one our top 5 or 7 picks we will have at the end of the year (and a bit more) for him... Yes I would.
    I agree totally about Dangerfield, I have been banging on about it for over 12 months now that we should make a play for him. Would somewhat replace a Cooney in the midfield. Griffen and Dangerfield in the midfield would be very appealing.
    TCD, he has been alot more consistent this season so far.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that he has not signed would suggest that someone already has their hooks into him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    The fact that he has not signed would suggest that someone already has their hooks into him.

Agreed! Lets hope its 1 of our

Post Thanks / Like

Probably pie in the sky stuff - but I would be very happy for the club to go hard at Patty Dangerfield.

Travis Cloke also for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the players on the Free Agency list probably Bret Thornton would probably be a good fit , can play back or forward , his wages wouldn,t stretch the budget too much , he only signed a one year contract with the Blues as they continue to focus on their younger players , at 27 he's about the right age to look for a challenge at another Club

Post Thanks / Like

Dangerfield would fit into Mccartneys mould in that he gets his own ball,andbreaks the lines.
    Surely the Cats couldn't give up Menzel( good young player) he's also coming off a knee reco!
    That wouldn't get the deal done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Dangerfield would fit into Mccartneys mould in that he gets his own ball,andbreaks the lines.
    Surely the Cats couldn't give up Menzel( good young player) he's also coming off a knee reco!
    That wouldn't get the deal done
    The rumour goes that they would give up Menzel and their Ablett compo pick which would allow Adelaide to go after Menzel's younger brother too. Not sure how correct this is.
    The curse is dead.