Likes Likes:  189
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Which was followed by Grant kicking the goal
    Yes! Was stoked. And good to see the boys get around and pat the microphone.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    He may not find the ball much but he uses it pretty well. IF only he could forget he's kicking for goal and pretend he's passing it to someone in the stands. I'm sure he would nail it every time.
    BT had a point commentating our final, in that the way he holds it loses him 5 or so metres on the kick.
    Have we every tried him in defence? If so, how did he go?
    It sounds so simple GD.

Post Thanks / Like

He is probably in our 15-20 range at the moment. I'd keep him for another year but fully expect him to not be in the 22 at the end of next season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    He is probably in our 15-20 range at the moment. I'd keep him for another year but fully expect him to not be in the 22 at the end of next season.

So why keep him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    So why keep him?
    Depth player that suits our style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    So why keep him?
    I think its not so much Grant trying to fit into our game plan as much as it is our players trying to fit into the way Jarrad plays. If he could get some synergy with the team (bearing in mind it is a new and developing game plan) I think he (and the team) would get the rewards. He is usually in the right spots (such as ready to take the handball over the top that never came from Crammers in the EF because Lachie missed his target). He works hard and has some assets but he needs to be happy with 2 years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think its not so much Grant trying to fit into our game plan as much as it is our players trying to fit into the way Jarrad plays. If he could get some synergy with the team (bearing in mind it is a new and developing game plan) I think he (and the team) would get the rewards. He is usually in the right spots (such as ready to take the handball over the top that never came from Crammers in the EF because Lachie missed his target). He works hard and has some assets but he needs to be happy with 2 years.
    I would comment each week about him being in the goal square alone after out running an opponent, or being free for the play to go through him. When the tapes get a good working out over the next few months, if JG is still there and still getting into a lot of dangerous spots next year I'd expect that he will impact games ever further.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I would comment each week about him being in the goal square alone after out running an opponent, or being free for the play to go through him. When the tapes get a good working out over the next few months, if JG is still there and still getting into a lot of dangerous spots next year I'd expect that he will impact games ever further.
    It's not through gut running and burning off an opponent that he finds himself in the goal square on his own. He runs forward of the play when the ball's in dispute and opposition team don't bother manning him up, because for the once every week or two it comes off, they effectively play 17 vs 18 where the ball actually is. They're comfortable conceding the occasional cheapie for the opportunity to win the ball in dispute.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the point of keeping someone who we think is at best a depth player and is in the peak of his career at 26-27.
    Let's see what we can get for him in the open market, and if the price/compensation is good then that is far better than holding onto a senior player that is not a walk up start.

The alternative is that we hold onto him but he doesn't get games due to others and young players getting preference and then he losing any value he potential has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    I don't see the point of keeping someone who we think is at best a depth player and is in the peak of his career at 26-27.
    Let's see what we can get for him in the open market, and if the price/compensation is good then that is far better than holding onto a senior player that is not a walk up start.

The alternative is that we hold onto him but he doesn't get games due to others and young players getting preference and then he losing any value he potential has.
    I don't think he is a depth player 'at best'. I think it is his base. We are a very young side and need players around the 26-27 mark.

That being said, I'm also happy for him to go. Basically not fussed.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the plus for Jarrad, or Microphone Head as they call him, he made the triple m footy team of year on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

Jarrad GRANT

#1 Western Bulldogs

Height: 193cm Weight: 83kg Position: FWD
    Dream Team Profile

2015 Digest: Entering the last of a two-year deal and in all likelihood an AFL career defining season. An early foot injury prevented the former top 10 draft prospect from replicating his late 2013 form and he ended up playing just four senior matches. While Liam Jones is gone the addition of Tom Boyd and the emergence of Stewart Crameri and Jake Stringer makes the 25-year-old’s task tougher.

2015 NAB Cup: Played arguably his best game for the club in 10-goal romp. Has Luke Beveridge unlocked the key to success?

2015 Season

1 WCE Sub. On final term and made a couple of darting runs. Hit post with flying shot. 1
    2 Rich One goal and involved in a few passages. 4
    3 Haw Tried to work himself into game but couldn’t. 4
    4 Adel Picked up by Smith initially. Took a screamer second term. Vastly improved. 6
    5 VFL Responded well to AFL axe to be among the Dogs’ best. -
    6 VFL Bye. -
    7 VFL Booted four goals and was too good form Geelong defenders. -
    8 VFL Three goals in opening half then rested. -
    9 GWS Started on a wing and outran Scully and Whitfield. Sealing goal early last term. 6
    10 Port Five clearances and five inside-50s, won six hit-outs as the third man up. 7
    12 Bris On wing and a positive element in winning over 20 touches. 6
    13 StK Continues to be a contributor in the wing role. 5
    14 Carl Good early goal from wing and is building with confidence. 6
    15 GCS Decent numbers but didn’t have a great impact on contest. 4
    16 Geel One goal but couldn’t get into game to any great degree. Two marks. 4
    17 Coll Sub. Had a few touches in final term. 2
    18 Ess OK without making a huge statement. Run from back half a highlight. 5
    19 Port Tried and kept presenting on the lead, used it well when he got it. 6
    20 Melb Three first-term goals and linked well pressing up the ground. 7
    21 WCE Needed to have more of a say in the game. 3
    22 NM Not significant apart for one big mark, and subbed off at last change 3
    23 Bris Used the ball well.

Source: SEN AFL player ratings
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Part of a one year deal is we may be struggling to delist players next year. If Bob, Boyd and Morris don't fall away dramatically, we must keep them. The only guys coming out of contract at the end of 2016 that I would not offer an extension now to are:
    - Prudden (make it or break it year, I don't see much in him but great attitude etc)
    - Minson (would be already gone you'd think if he wasn't contracted)
    - Hamilton (started well, then went quiet/meant to be home sick)
    - Campbell (I think if Will goes, he stays. Not a huge fan of his skill set but I would offer an extension unless he struggles next year)
    - Redpath (bit similar to Campbell)

Post Thanks / Like

Season in Review: Including highlights of Melbourne match

Season in short:

After an interrupted 2014 season due to injury, Jarrad Grant played 19 games in the senior team in 2015, taking the 26-year-old’s career tally to 83 games in eight seasons.

Despite a month in the VFL from rounds five to eight, Grant worked his way back in to the side in round nine against the Giants and played every game for the remainder of the season.

The forward spent more time across the wing through the middle of the season, under coach Luke Beveridge’s mantra of versatility.

He assumed his normal role in the forward line in the latter parts of 2015, where he produced his best game for the season in round 20.

Notching up 20 disposals and three goals in the Dogs’ round 20 win against Melbourne, Grant kicked all three majors in the opening term.

The stat that mattered:

Grant collected a season-high 22-disposals in the Bulldogs’ Round 12 72-point win, with a career-high six tackles in round six against Port Adelaide.

What they said:

“I’ve spent most of my career as a forward, you’ve obviously got a dour defender following you around for most of the day. The wing gives you a lot more freedom, and the ability to cover the whole ground, I’ve enjoyed it.” – Grant in July 2015
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevo saying Grants gone
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

18. Thanks strebla thanked for this post