Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  189
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrad Grant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jarrad Grant

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I would comment each week about him being in the goal square alone after out running an opponent, or being free for the play to go through him. When the tapes get a good working out over the next few months, if JG is still there and still getting into a lot of dangerous spots next year I'd expect that he will impact games ever further.
    It's not through gut running and burning off an opponent that he finds himself in the goal square on his own. He runs forward of the play when the ball's in dispute and opposition team don't bother manning him up, because for the once every week or two it comes off, they effectively play 17 vs 18 where the ball actually is. They're comfortable conceding the occasional cheapie for the opportunity to win the ball in dispute.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's not through gut running and burning off an opponent that he finds himself in the goal square on his own. He runs forward of the play when the ball's in dispute and opposition team don't bother manning him up, because for the once every week or two it comes off, they effectively play 17 vs 18 where the ball actually is. They're comfortable conceding the occasional cheapie for the opportunity to win the ball in dispute.
    He's also good for rebound 50's and defence spoils too so the stats sheet say. But taking that comment at face value and if Bevo drops players not doing what he wants, and Grant played 19 including a final, perhaps that is what Bevo wants.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

But this is true of every team. Isaac Smith is a good example, purely outside.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It is those cheapies out the back you have to watch out for.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It is those cheapies out the back you have to watch out for.
    If we get Bennell I'm happy to shop Grant.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He's also good for rebound 50's and defence spoils too so the stats sheet say. But taking that comment at face value and if Bevo drops players not doing what he wants, and Grant played 19 including a final, perhaps that is what Bevo wants.
    We were a very young team that struggled to put 22 players on the field that could contribute in any meaningful way throughout the season. He was dropped and hasn't been offered a contract for next season, that says a fair bit about what Bevo wants.

Post Thanks / Like

Big difference is that Issac Smith beats Jarrad Grant in every stat!

8 more disposals per game, 3 more marks, 1 more tackle, 3 more score involvements and a goal more per 2 or so games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post

8 more disposals per game, 3 more marks, 1 more tackle, 3 more score involvements and a goal more per 2 or so games.
    Only because Hawthorn have bedded down their game plan, get the ball to him and protect / free him up and has done so effectively for a number of years. Jarrad's had a new role out of the forward line for what, 2 years? Plus, we are still developing a game plan. You can see what Bevo is trying to do with him / wants him to do, it's just not quite working yet.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the plus for Jarrad, or Microphone Head as they call him, he made the triple m footy team of year on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

And more importantly breaks the game open with run and long kicking. I would imagine metres gained would be poles apart. Teams are happy to leave Grant free because he needs to be fed the ball in space, then goes sideways with it to another player in space, there's no hurt factor. Teams try to shut down Smith because it kills Hawthorn's ability to move the ball forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Only because Hawthorn have bedded down their game plan, get the ball to him and protect / free him up and has done so effectively for a number of years. Jarrad's had a new role out of the forward line for what, 2 years? Plus, we are still developing a game plan. You can see what Bevo is trying to do with him / wants him to do, it's just not quite working yet.
    That and Issac Smith is a lot better at footy than Jarrad Grant.

Post Thanks / Like

We were a very young team that struggled to put 22 players on the field that could contribute in any meaningful way throughout the season. He was dropped and hasn't been offered a contract for next season, that says a fair bit about what Bevo wants.
    Cmon struggled. Tom Boyd, Jong, Hrovat, Crameri, Talia, Hunter, Macrae and others:

A. All of the above got dropped too. That ipso facto means nothing.
    B. All were playing reserves at different points while Grant was getting AFL games - So Grant was the only listed player to be gifted games for the length of the season while every other player was forced to lift and stay lifted or not get a game.
    C. We didn't have a massive injury list
    D. When Grant was dropped his VFL form was very good and that's why he got promoted
    E. Contractual status says more about McCartney than Bevo wants
    F. Grant's manager may have said only put a 3 year deal down or nothing at all. We don't know.

I get you don't like him as a player, but that post is pretty thin on for anything like a coherent and insightful comment with all my respects Ricky.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

How does Jarrad Grant get compared with Isaac Smith. We may as well pot Mitch Wallis for not being as good a midfielder as Gary Ablett Jnr. Talk about comparing apples with oranges.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Isaac Smith as a comparison to Jarrad Grant is a monstrously long bow.

But on the whole - Grant being open and not being used examples - for me, I can only deduce that it is Grant's fault if he gets missed. He is obviously not loud enough. Even in 'that play' in the elimination final when Hunter handballed over Crameri's head - Grant was loose on the southern side with nobody in front of him. You've just got to make yourself seen by being heard.

Post Thanks / Like

That and Issac Smith is a lot better at footy than Jarrad Grant.
    He is at the moment. We need to use Jarrad better. Isaac Smith wasn't better than Jarrad Grant at the end of 2013. Jarrad's definitely got it it's a matter of whether he and the club believe he can do it.

For the record I'm not comparing them, I'm comparing the potential for like roles and using them the same ways. I'm not saying they are on par as players.