Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Brownlow Medalists

Ten of the Best

Westernbulldogs.com.au takes a look at the illustrious group of ten Bulldogs players who have won Brownlow honours.

Allan Hopkins - 1930 (awarded retrospectively in 1989)
    Hopkins became the first Bulldogs player to win the Brownlow Medal despite being 85 years old when it was retrospectively awarded. Joint winners were not recognised in 1930 and he subsequently placed second after a countback of the votes. Hopkins played 151 VFL games, captaining the side in 1926, 1929 and 1930 as well as being appointed as Coach for the 1930 Season.

Norman Ware - 1941
    One of Footscray’s favourite big men at the time Norman Ware won the 1941 Brownlow medal. He played 200 games with Footscray between 1932 - 1942, 1944 - 46, kicked 220 goals and won a record 5 Best & Fairest awards. He also captained the Club (1940-42), coached (1941-42) and represented Victoria 10 times.

Peter Box - 1956
    Peter Box is the only Premiership Player for the Footscray Bulldogs to win the Brownlow Medal, taking out the illustrious award in 1956 after being named Footscray’s Best and Fairest in 1955 The ‘greyhound’ centreman was famed for his brilliant handballing and high marks.

John Schultz - 1960
    A gentleman on and off the field, John Schultz was awarded the Brownlow Medal in 1960. As the Bulldogs’ Vice Captain under Ted Whitten for seven years, Schultz’s decorated career included the Best and Fairest award in 1960, 1962, 1964-66. Schultz represented Victoria on 24 occasions during his career until the ruckman retired at 29. He was also elevated to Legend status at the Bulldogs Hall of Fame event in May this year.

Gary Dempsey - 1975
    The inspirational Gary Dempsey prevailed against all odds to eventually win 6 Best and Fairest awards as well as being named the Brownlow Medallist in 1975. He played 207 games for the Bulldogs until he retired in 1978 - he also Captained the side from 1971-72 and 1977-78.

Kelvin Templeton - 1980
    The first player to kick a ton in one season for the Bulldogs, Kelvin Templeton was awarded the Brownlow Medal for his efforts in 1980 - after winning the Coleman Medal in the two seasons previous (1978-79). He led Footscray in their goal-kicking for five consecutive years.

Brad Hardie - 1985
    Brad Hardie was just the second player to receive the Brownlow Medal in his first year playing in the VFL. He followed it up with the Footscray Best and Fairest award in 1986 before being transferred to the Brisbane Bears.

Tony Liberatore - 1990
    Missing the last three games of the year due to a knee injury, Tony Liberatore was only an outside chance to win AFL’s highest honour but after polling 18 votes he limped up to receive his medal. ‘Libba’ played for the Bulldogs from 1986 - 2002 and although he only managed 18 games in his first four seasons, his breakthrough in 1990 resulted in him becoming a vital member of the Club’s history.

Scott Wynd - 1992
    Twenty years ago tap ruckman Scott Wynd was honoured with the Brownlow Medal. Wynd began his AFL career in 1988 and continued on to Captain the side from 1994 until he retired in 2000. He played 237 games for the Bulldogs during his thirteen seasons and kicked 31 goals.

Adam Cooney - 2008
    Midfielder Adam Cooney won the Brownlow Medal at age 22. He secured the win with 24 votes, finishing just one vote in front of Brisbane’s Simon Black. The Dogs 2003 AFL first round draftee (pick no. 1 overall) topped off his 2008 Season with All Australian selection.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Brownlow Medalists

Some pretty handy names in that list!

Post Thanks / Like

Scott West in 2000 should have been there. Very unlucky not to win it. Ted Whitten one of our greatest players never won a brownlow and should be in there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's impossible to judge properly but would Templeton and Box be the best of them?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Doug Hawkins for mine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    Doug Hawkins for mine
    His definitely another player that should be there as well as Brad Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Scott West in 2000 should have been there. Very unlucky not to win it. Ted Whitten one of our greatest players never won a brownlow and should be in there as well.
    No Teddy shouldn't be there as the Brownlow is for the best and fairest. He was not the fairest as he wacked a few blokes in his time.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Gary Dempsey - 1975
    The inspirational Gary Dempsey prevailed against all odds to eventually win 6 Best and Fairest awards as well as being named the Brownlow Medallist in 1975. He played 207 games for the Bulldogs until he retired in 1978 - he also Captained the side from 1971-72 and 1977-78.

In my mind Demps retired after '78 to work with lepers in India and never went on to play another 100+ games for North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

In my mind Demps retired after '78 to work with lepers in India and never went on to play another 100+ games for North.

I wish he'd retired in '78 too and moved straight to Queensland then and played in his premiership up there earlier. Every game he played for North was like a dagger through the heart. At least he never got to play in a flag winning team for them
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I know it's impossible to judge properly but would Templeton and Box be the best of them?
    I have seen them all since the 1960's and would regard John Schultz, the Club's only living legend, as the best since that era. Schultz made the Victorian State team in his first year and remained a State representative for the next 10 years, to be one of only two players to achieve this honour. The other being Fred Flanagan, who captained Geelong in their premiership wins in 1951/2. Templeton and Box were fine players although the late Charlie Sutton rated both Whitten and Collins as best players in his era in front of Peter Box, even though neither won a Brownlow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chops View Post
    Dempsey? 6 b&fs
    Schultz?

I was referring to their Brownlow season not their career. For a long time I heard what a great season Peter Box had when he won it and I thought Templeton was outstanding in his year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

On the criteria above I would rate Wynd very highly. He was awesome in that year.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe it was 20 years ago that Wyndy saluted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    I have seen them all since the 1960's and would regard John Schultz, the Club's only living legend, as the best since that era. Schultz made the Victorian State team in his first year and remained a State representative for the next 10 years, to be one of only two players to achieve this honour. The other being Fred Flanagan, who captained Geelong in their premiership wins in 1951/2. Templeton and Box were fine players although the late Charlie Sutton rated both Whitten and Collins as best players in his era in front of Peter Box, even though neither won a Brownlow.
    Agreed

Dempsey not far behind.

EJ was never a candidate for the Brownlow but bolts in as the best player of all time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Agreed

Dempsey not far behind.

EJ was never a candidate for the Brownlow but bolts in as the best player of all time.
    Yes agree on Schultzy as the best brownlow medalist and what you also say on EJ too.