Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's signed for 2 years - his 2014 is likely to be on a higher wage than he would have had with us. Overall not a massive drop as much as the media like to paint it as one.
    I'd actually be quite surprised if he is on a lot more in 2014. Buddy comes out of contract at the end of next year, and will be eligible for free agency. Putting aside the media circus that will engulf the AFL world, I would think the Hawks will be planning to have plenty of space in their cap for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations WOOFERS, we're $650,000 richer for trading Lake and only losing one year of service from someone who wanted out and plays with his IPhone during his captain's acceptance speech for club champion. As a bonus we have a first round pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We didn't press harder that's the problem right there. All I hear is we would have lost him next season, no other team was interested. So what! He was under contract at the WB for 2013 and they were desperate to buy. We held the cards and we're the ones rolling over? If we pressed harder they may have caved, they may not have. Still for a quality player like Lake I would have liked our team of negotiators to use the 3 weeks to at least try and come up with the best possible deal.

JMac and the WB media crew can spin it anyway they like. We caved at a threat from a player manager on day 1 of the trade period and got a shitty deal in the process.
    If you think that we caved on day one of negotiations you are wrong, club list managers have been meeting each other over the last 4-6 weeks about stuff like this.. An elevation of 6 places and an extra pick in this years draft is much better than SFA when he wanted out as an unrestricted free agent at end of 2013. Unrestricted means no compensation from the AFL from what I understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    If you think that we caved on day one of negotiations you are wrong, club list managers have been meeting each other over the last 4-6 weeks about stuff like this.. An elevation of 6 places and an extra pick in this years draft is much better than SFA when he wanted out as an unrestricted free agent at end of 2013. Unrestricted means no compensation from the AFL from what I understand.
    Which is just speculation.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Unrestricted means no compensation from the AFL from what I understand.
    Incorrect.

A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract. (Unrestricted free agent)

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club does not have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move automatically to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Which is just speculation.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...001-26ue3.html

Complicated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I mean speculation he would walk.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Incorrect.

A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after serving his first eight or more seasons at his club, and is now out of contract. (Unrestricted free agent)

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs.

If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club.

His club does not have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move automatically to the new club of his choice.

His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

Which for us still means SFA.

Post Thanks / Like

Which for us still means SFA.
    Exactly what we got on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean speculation he would walk.
    Lake told the Club he wanted to leave the Club to play in a premiership. He repeated it again on Channel 10 news last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty hard having two threads going on this.
    Can some clever computer person merge them please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Lake told the Club he wanted to leave the Club to play in a premiership. He repeated it again on Channel 10 news last night.
    I don't wish to go over old ground but you manage your players and look after them they stay.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't wish to go over old ground but you manage your players and look after them they stay.
    Bad, it's harder to retain certain players when you are not winning many games.
    There are the loyal types there's there is the Lake types.

Post Thanks / Like

I was initially disappointed with the Lake trade, but after sleeping on it I think it was the right thing to do. But it was the way he left that's been the real disappointment.

In his interviews, did he even thank the club, staff and supporters for their time and support? Did he wish us all the best for the future? Did he talk about anyone other than Brian? I'm not angry Brian, I'm just very disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I slept on it, discussed it at work and I reckon I feel worse now than yesterday. As well as the ridiculous deal we took on the first day of trading, the club's spinning of how all is well because we got pick 21, I stupidly took a look at the Dawks website to find another article and a pic of He Who Shall Not Be Named signing the family up for a 2013 family membership not to mention his wife and kids already kitted out in the poo and wee colours.

But hey, we get pick 21. Great, just great..
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]