Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    1. That's not what I asked, I asked if you know for a fact that he was told he wouldn't play FB again because McCartney wanted to get rid of him.

2. That's a hopelessly one eyed view of history.
    1. ok, I understand - I assumed that because listening to Pask, Lake did not want to play forward, so I put two and two together.

2. You have your view through what you read in the media, I have my view from Eade over dinner.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    I never though ruthless efficiancy and the WB would ever be in the same sentence.
    That's one way of looking at it - hasty and ill-conceived are other ways of looking at it. We're 1 day into a 3 week trade period. We have a player under contract being heavily courted by a premiership contender. Forget about next year - right now, Lake has significant currency for Hawthorn and the only way to get him to Glenferrie is through a trade. As Pelican has done on numerous occasions, we could have let Hawthorn simmer on this offer and come back with a counter-offer, like pick 21 on its own for example.

Anyway good to see you back TAMA - you've been missed on woof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I wihs they had the same record in finals that Lake had.
    Too bad we wont be playing finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That's one way of looking at it - hasty and ill-conceived are other ways of looking at it. We're 1 day into a 3 week trade period. We have a player under contract being heavily courted by a premiership contender. Forget about next year - right now, Lake has significant currency for Hawthorn and the only way to get him to Glenferrie is through a trade. As Pelican has done on numerous occasions, we could have let Hawthorn simmer on this offer and come back with a counter-offer, like pick 21 on its own for example.

Anyway good to see you back TAMA - you've been missed on woof.
    He is no longer at Hawthorn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I think Sedat means, that what he did when he was there, especially to us.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I know that - I'm using him as an example of a list manager/trade week negotiator who holds out for the best possible deal for his club and isn't rushed into signing any trade so early in the trade period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    2. You have your view through what you read in the media, I have my view from Eade over dinner.
    Hardly impartial- Yeah it was everyone else's fault but mine, as usual.

An assistant coach doesn't force a mature superstar who wants to rest because there's something wrong with his body to play on and tell him to toughen up. That's the senior coach's call, that was not Montgomery. And that's not from the media.

It's pretty clear Lake is pissed off with the club and has been for sometime. He gave us an ultimatum and we chose the slightly better one for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    What does Eade have to do with this?

Are you sure you want to bring Eade's name into this after the way he treated a 'club champion, especially whilst he was injured??
    Did you read the posts from start to finish? Probably not with that comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I look on the bright side and what if Brian told the club my body is shot and I may not make it though another season. We'll stitch up the Hawks and I'll get you another first round pick as a going away present. Go Dogs...
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It's pretty clear Lake is pissed off with the club and has been for sometime. He gave us an ultimatum and we chose the slightly better one for us.
    You know that for a fact? What is your source?

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason Lake agrees is because he was told he is no longer going to play fullback at the club next year. Now we know why he was told by Macca - because he wants to get rid of him.

Sorry, as a Bulldog supporter, I have seen so many of our champs go I am sick and tired of it.

A clubs fabric is not made up of only young and up and coming players, but also by the old champs.
    Agreed that it is sad that we lose a club champion and that other clubs don't need to sink this low. The reality is though that it is not an even palying field and we need to do what it takes.
    We are fighting for our lives. Must maximise our chance to build a team and I fully support the club in its brave attempt to achieve that.
    We must build a team to challenge for a premiership. Brian has become part of that by being traded for a pick/player who will be contributing to the team when we are in contention. Brian himself cannot be part of that future team.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuming about this trade, absolutely livid!!!!. I was in the camp to move Brian and knew he'd walk for free after next season. OK Hawks have a little leverage there but very little. Why on Earth would we bend over and trade him for just a 3rd round pick? That's basically all we got in return. Pointless, stupid and downright terrible trade for our club. An extra 3rd round pick, way to go guys.

Post Thanks / Like

You know that for a fact? What is your source?
    Touche

Post Thanks / Like

I am not old quite enough to remember Herb Henderson, but I rate Brian Lake and John Jillard as the two best defenders I have seen in the club in my time. Small proviso there, I kind of think of Chris Grant and Ted Whitten as forwards.

What a shame he didn't want to finish his career with us.

And what a poor deal, all round, if he did.

Thanks for some great moments Brian.

ps Honorable mention for my favourite defender: Dale Morris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I am not old quite enough to remember Herb Henderson, but I rate Brian Lake and John Jillard as the two best defenders I have seen in the club in my time. Small proviso there, I kind of think of Chris Grant and Ted Whitten as forwards.

What a shame he didn't want to finish his career with us.

And what a poor deal, all round, if he did.

Thanks for some great moments Brian.
    And that was why he was traded.