Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Fuming about this trade, absolutely livid!!!!. I was in the camp to move Brian and knew he'd walk for free after next season. OK Hawks have a little leverage there but very little. Why on Earth would we bend over and trade him for just a 3rd round pick? That's basically all we got in return. Pointless, stupid and downright terrible trade for our club. An extra 3rd round pick, way to go guys.
    Whay does everyone keep saying we got a 3rd round pick? Hawthorn's 3rd pick is in the 60's.

We got Hawthorn's 1st and 2nd round picks in exchange for our 2nd round pick.

Post Thanks / Like

A good trade, as long as we don't have to pay any of his contract!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Whay does everyone keep saying we got a 3rd round pick? Hawthorn's 3rd pick is in the 60's.

We got Hawthorn's 1st and 2nd round picks in exchange for our 2nd round pick.
    Maybe it suits their argument.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't care what round they are in Greystache we moved up 6 places with one and gained another. 3 weeks of negotiating and caved on Day 1 with the first offer. It's pathetic!

Post Thanks / Like

will posters stop referring to him as an AA full back!!!
    He no longer outputs at an AA level and his body and ongoing injuries will see that his output declines further in the coming two years. No great loss as far as Im concerned.
    Im happy the club is being shrewd with this one.
    See it as payback for the hawks getting rid of rawlings when they knew his knee was screwed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I wanted to explore a trade with Lake B4L, just pissed we got bugger all for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That's one way of looking at it - hasty and ill-conceived are other ways of looking at it. We're 1 day into a 3 week trade period. We have a player under contract being heavily courted by a premiership contender. Forget about next year - right now, Lake has significant currency for Hawthorn and the only way to get him to Glenferrie is through a trade. As Pelican has done on numerous occasions, we could have let Hawthorn simmer on this offer and come back with a counter-offer, like pick 21 on its own for example.

Anyway good to see you back TAMA - you've been missed on woof.

Another way you could look at it is it sends a clear message to the playing group that if you want to leave and don't value the direction the club is going, then it doesn't matter who you are.

His wage is ridiculous considering his output and anything around the 40 pick mark is speculative at best so i'm not to fazed by the shuffling of later picks.

I hold my position that this is good for the club. It's a real paradigm shift away from appeasing individuals whio think they can hold the club to ransom, it doesn't pay to have a bevvy of club champions over a generation and only one premiership to show for it.

I've been waiting for someone with balls big enough to do something like this for 20 years. Team first, even if it means losing one of your best players who doesn't want to be there anymore (albeit a slow broken down one). Im backing Macca on this one.

Sure our performances have been rancid this year, but building a team and culture from the bottom up is a slow process that opens up many cracks and reveals many white elephants.

Great chatting Sedat, you are a sage on this board my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    From a PR perspective it suits the club's argument that we traded Lake for a 1st round draft pick. The truth as always is somewhere in between - we get a 6 spot upgrade in the 20's and we also get a pick in the early 40's for Lake. In terms of actual new draft picks that we didn't previously have, the only one is pick 41.

Post Thanks / Like

From a PR perspective it suits the club's argument that we traded Lake for a 1st round draft pick. The truth as always is somewhere in between - we get a 6 spot upgrade in the 20's and we also get a pick in the early 40's for Lake. In terms of actual new draft picks that we didn't previously have, the only one is pick 41.
    Exactly. When you break it down we almost gave him away.

Post Thanks / Like

Posters, go back to the tapes and watch all the games where we copped hidings and watch how bad Lake was.
    I vividly recall the Sydney game where he was very very ordinary.
    If the Hawks are taking over his contract, I will be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I wanted to explore a trade with Lake B4L, just pissed we got bugger all for him.
    I respect your opinion GMo but in my mind it was a fair trade providing that the Hawks are paying all his salary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    Posters, go back to the tapes and watch all the games where we copped hidings and watch how bad Lake was.
    I vividly recall the Sydney game where he was very very ordinary.
    If the Hawks are taking over his contract, I will be happy.
    Yes go back and see how bad the whole team was. Lake still took over 160 marks for the season, third highest in the AFL. I think you will find the whole team was crap.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    Another way you could look at it is it sends a clear message to the playing group that if you want to leave and don't value the direction the club is going, then it doesn't matter who you are.

His wage is ridiculous considering his output and anything around the 40 pick mark is speculative at best so i'm not to fazed by the shuffling of later picks.

I hold my position that this is good for the club. It's a real paradigm shift away from appeasing individuals whio think they can hold the club to ransom, it doesn't pay to have a bevvy of club champions over a generation and only one premiership to show for it.

I've been waiting for someone with balls big enough to do something like this for 20 years. Team first, even if it means losing one of your best players who doesn't want to be there anymore (albeit a slow broken down one). Im backing Macca on this one.

Sure our performances have been rancid this year, but building a team and culture from the bottom up is a slow process that opens up many cracks and reveals many white elephants.

Great chatting Sedat, you are a sage on this board my friend!
    Great post TAMA. Good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Again in my opinion I am happy with the trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes go back and see how bad the whole team was.
    How many times do I have to post this, your leaders need to stand up when the game is not going according to plan.