Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I respect your opinion GMo but in my mind it was a fair trade providing that the Hawks are paying all his salary.
    We're going to have to overpay some players now to get to 95% salary cap (Can someone confirm that) because Brian's contract is off the books. His salary makes no difference in 2013.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desipura View Post
    How many times do I have to post this, your leaders need to stand up when the game is not going according to plan.
    Oh sorry Desi, the whole team playing crap football was Lakes fault.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We're going to have to overpay some players now to get to 95% salary cap (Can someone confirm that) because Brian's contract is off the books. His salary makes no difference in 2013.
    Pick 21 to Collingwood to pay Dawes some big bucks, thats what will happen.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I respect your opinion GMo but in my mind it was a fair trade providing that the Hawks are paying all his salary.
    Reading between the lines it looks that way.
    Again reading between the lines it sounds like Brian wanted a trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAMA View Post
    Another way you could look at it is it sends a clear message to the playing group that if you want to leave and don't value the direction the club is going, then it doesn't matter who you are.

His wage is ridiculous considering his output and anything around the 40 pick mark is speculative at best so i'm not to fazed by the shuffling of later picks.

I hold my position that this is good for the club. It's a real paradigm shift away from appeasing individuals whio think they can hold the club to ransom, it doesn't pay to have a bevvy of club champions over a generation and only one premiership to show for it.

I've been waiting for someone with balls big enough to do something like this for 20 years. Team first, even if it means losing one of your best players who doesn't want to be there anymore (albeit a slow broken down one). Im backing Macca on this one.

Sure our performances have been rancid this year, but building a team and culture from the bottom up is a slow process that opens up many cracks and reveals many white elephants.

Great chatting Sedat, you are a sage on this board my friend!
    Great post TAMA.

We need not only a change in culture from the club but also from our supporters. We celebrate individuals and mediocre short term wins, yet we turn on the club when we try to build for the long term. I think we'll come out the other side a better club, but it's going to be a bumpy ride for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pick 21 to Collingwood to pay Dawes some big bucks, thats what will happen.
    And what a waste of $500K that would be. I would have rathered Lake play out 2013 and walk for nothing than pay that bum for 2 - 3 years and get Collingwood out of a jam.

Post Thanks / Like

Or we use the cash to chase a gun player who'll still be with us next premiership tilt.

Post Thanks / Like

And what a waste of $500K that would be. I would have rathered Lake play out 2013 and walk for nothing than pay that bum for 2 - 3 years and get Collingwood out of a jam.
    All the mail is we are chasing Dawes and Collingwood want something decent for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Or we use the cash to chase a gun player who'll still be with us next premiership tilt.
    Which FA's are available for next season that are going to do that? No one. The contract is a non factor. The only positive could be is a renegotiation of some contracts and heavily front load them to absorb another player salary down the track.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree Greystache. I'm preparing myself to be patient as Brendan steers the ship. Plenty are jumping off because they can't handle a couple of seasons down the bottom. I agree with his plans to not cut corners and do things properly - even if it makes it more painful in the short term.

We've been waiting 58 years for a second flag....I'd rather we dedicated ourselves to trying to win one in 5 or 6 years - than try and make finals next year or 2014, and then fill gaps once more long serving players retire.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimately Macca is looking long term for our future and even said he will be focusing more on the draft. I think Brian wanted to go to a team that was in a premiership window like Hawthorn are at the moment. I don't agree in getting rid off Lake because he is one of the veterans at our club that can guide the youngsters. KPP players are very hard to find and when you strike one like Lake its worth gold. I hope our recruiting staff know what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Which FA's are available for next season that are going to do that? No one. The contract is a non factor. The only positive could be is a renegotiation of some contracts and heavily front load them to absorb another player salary down the track.
    They don't only have to be FA's. We should be going after young guns.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    They don't only have to be FA's. We should be going after young guns.
    Which young guns are going to want to come here next year? I doubt there would be a long line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Great post TAMA.

We need not only a change in culture from the club but also from our supporters. We celebrate individuals and mediocre short term wins,yet we turn on the club when we try to build for the long term. I think we'll come out the other side a better club, but it's going to be a bumpy ride for now.
    Spot on. I would further argue that our club has never taken a long term approach due to the pain involved in turning a culture upside down and the effect it has on memberships.

We are a fickle bunch at the kennel and our vision has dared to stray from the short term, both at a club and supporter level. I love the temerity of someone who can look that in the eye and not get scared by changing it, someone who believes in changing it totally. That's how you get other to believe in it totally!

Post Thanks / Like

Which young guns are going to want to come here next year? I doubt there would be a long line.
    You never know, if you wave enough $$$ they may come.
    The curse is dead.