Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    Surely we are on the hook for some of Lakes salary? no way they can fit Lakes wage into their salary cap.
    According to Marty Pask (Lake's Manager) on SEN this afternoon, Hawthorn are covering the entire contract amount. We don't need to pay a cent. I must admit I felt a little happier when I heard this.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I personally don't rate Dawes. I think paying a 1st round pick for him is overs.
    I think he's the classic type guy who can contribute in a top quality team, but who would struggle in a ordinary side, like we currently are.
    Also he is a very unreliable shot for goal, just what we don't need more of.
    Sorry your first post wasn't clear.

I'm not in the pro Dawes camp either but I have a sneaking suspicion that we are interested.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I personally don't rate Dawes. I think paying a 1st round pick for him is overs.
    I think he's the classic type guy who can contribute in a top quality team, but who would struggle in a ordinary side, like we currently are.
    Also he is a very unreliable shot for goal, just what we don't need more of.
    I'd personally take Dawes over Brown

21 for Brown for me is massively overpaying

Given Collingwood dont seem to really want Dawes or want to pay him his contract Im not even sure I'd commit pick 21 to him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not in the pro Dawes camp either but I have a sneaking suspicion that we are interested.
    What makes you say this?
    Everything we seem to read is about development and no trading for players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HairyMidget View Post
    What makes you say this?
    Everything we seem to read is about development and no trading for players.
    I think we have cleared the salary cap room for a reason and I think there is some merit in getting a big bodied player to play alongside of Jones.

It will be an interesting few days

Post Thanks / Like

I have two footy player fridge magnets - Luke Darcy and Brian Harris (yes, Harris - I've it for ages). Can't believe he's gone. I go for the sentimentality of barracking for a team - I don't really understand all the picks and trade values, just sad that a long serving player is leaving. So disappointing that Lake didn't want to finish out his days in the red, white and blue but I don't feel the same animosity towards his decision as I did towards Nathan Brown's. I'm grateful to read all the posters' comments that say this is a positive move given that Lake didn't want to stay and he's getting on in years. But it's still sad news for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I've mentioned this somewhere before but what about going for a Jay Schultz type of player. I reckon that is someone who would fit into our team quite well especially because we jack a forward presence which we desperately a crying out for. Who now will be the number 1 full back next season. Roughead?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MsBulldog View Post
    I have two footy player fridge magnets - Luke Darcy and Brian Harris (yes, Harris - I've it for ages). Can't believe he's gone. I go for the sentimentality of barracking for a team - I don't really understand all the picks and trade values, just sad that a long serving player is leaving. So disappointing that Lake didn't want to finish out his days in the red, white and blue but I don't feel the same animosity towards his decision as I did towards Nathan Brown's. I'm grateful to read all the posters' comments that say this is a positive move given that Lake didn't want to stay and he's getting on in years. But it's still sad news for me.
    Collingwood supporters would have the most animosity towards Mick Malthouse like we did when Terry Wallace just let us like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Collingwood supporters would have the most animosity towards Mick Malthouse like we did when Terry Wallace just let us like that.
    That isn't corrrect.

Collingwood sacked MM... Wallace walked out on us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think we have cleared the salary cap room for a reason and I think there is some merit in getting a big bodied player to play alongside of Jones.

It will be an interesting few days
    You think its Dawes is the feeling im getting?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    According to Marty Pask (Lake's Manager) on SEN this afternoon, Hawthorn are covering the entire contract amount. We don't need to pay a cent. I must admit I felt a little happier when I heard this.
    Thanks for this, that's what I needed confirmed, well done dogs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    They have that animosity towards him because he spent the better part of this year having a crack at the club.

As Mantis pointed out Wallace walked out on a contact because he thought he had a better one already in place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That isn't corrrect.

Collingwood sacked MM... Wallace walked out on us.
    That's what I meant Mantis with Wallace he walked out on us. Malthouse went to Carlton and that's why I think they have animosity the Collingwood fans as he didn't go through with what they agreed and pulled out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm numb! Shattered he's gone but happy we got something for a player who by the sound of things, wanted out. Not overly happy with the price.
    Who we pick up is either genius of disaster!
    Is Sam Reid available for trade. If so try pry him out of Sydney instead of a hack like Dawes.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the last thing I am going to say on this subject as I have vented my spleen enough, but I want to explain, why I am gutted by this decision.

Clubs are made up of many different people, the players, the administrators, the coaches etc etc. Players are also made up of young players just drafted, legends, guns, strugglers, hard workers, characters etc etc.

When a new young player comes to the club, they are often in awe of the legends of the club. Take a young Wallis who is 19 years old.

In 2006, in front of our second biggest crowd in our history at the MCG, here is Lake playing in a winning final against Collingwood. Wallis probably a 13 year old kid, screaming his lungs out, barracking for the dogs maybe even had Brian's number on his back. Fast forward to 2011 and here he is playing along side an AA Fullback, one of the best we have had at our club. Playing and training along side a Lake or Boyd lifts players and they have more worth than just playing in a game. They maybe older now and not as fast as they once were, but their experience is irreplaceable.

Clubs need their best players to stick with the club, its the very fabric that make up the club. Champions of the game. They are there every day at training, working with the kids, advising them, telling them how to play the game, where to position themselves.

Clubs need these guys to help develop a winning culture.

I have been following the dogs for a long time and have seen so many past greats just let go, I can name:

Dempsey
    Quinlan,
    Barry Round,
    Templeton
    Hardie

all brownlow medalists

Hawkins, Bisset, and many many more and now Lake.

A lot of the younger posters here don't care about the history and culture of clubs, they just want to get rid of players at 30 and bring in the young. Well that path doesn't work, have a look at the Richmonds and Melbournes of the world.

You may agree or disagree, you may say Lake wanted out, but ask yourself, why would he? We can all speculate about that but at the end of the day the club needs to manage players and look after them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.