Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake gone

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake gone

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is the last thing I am going to say on this subject as I have vented my spleen enough, but I want to explain, why I am gutted by this decision.

Clubs are made up of many different people, the players, the administrators, the coaches etc etc. Players are also made up of young players just drafted, legends, guns, strugglers, hard workers, characters etc etc.

When a new young player comes to the club, they are often in awe of the legends of the club. Take a young Wallis who is 19 years old.

In 2006, in front of our second biggest crowd in our history at the MCG, here is Lake playing in a winning final against Collingwood. Wallis probably a 13 year old kid, screaming his lungs out, barracking for the dogs maybe even had Brian's number on his back. Fast forward to 2011 and here he is playing along side an AA Fullback, one of the best we have had at our club. Playing and training along side a Lake or Boyd lifts players and they have more worth than just playing in a game. They maybe older now and not as fast as they once were, but their experience is irreplaceable.

Clubs need their best players to stick with the club, its the very fabric that make up the club. Champions of the game. They are there every day at training, working with the kids, advising them, telling them how to play the game, where to position themselves.

Clubs need these guys to help develop a winning culture.

I have been following the dogs for a long time and have seen so many past greats just let go, I can name:

Dempsey
    Quinlan,
    Barry Round,
    Templeton
    Hardie

all brownlow medalists

Hawkins, Bisset, and many many more and now Lake.

A lot of the younger posters here don't care about the history and culture of clubs, they just want to get rid of players at 30 and bring in the young. Well that path doesn't work, have a look at the Richmonds and Melbournes of the world.

You may agree or disagree, you may say Lake wanted out, but ask yourself, why would he? We can all speculate about that but at the end of the day the club needs to manage players and look after them.
    Quality post mate, we all feel your passion for the footy club, but bottom line is he was probably walking out on us at end of 2013 and we would get SFA as compensation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Quality post mate, we all feel your passion for the footy club, but bottom line is he was probably walking out on us at end of 2013 and we would get SFA as compensation.
    Thanks, but I don't agree he would have walked next year. Read the last sentence, that's what should happen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't Lake wanted out for a couple of years? Wasn't he close to walking last year? I remember an interview with him late last year where he was far from convincing about whether he wanted to play on at the Dogs in 2012, let alone 2013 and beyond.

If he didn't want to be there, legend or not (and I'm a massive fan of the guy), then you can hardly argue he'd be a good mentor for the young kids, nor can you argue he was any real value to us on the field building a team first culture.

All speculation. If he wanted to stay at the Dogs and we're just moving him on cause he's old, then that's no good in my opinion. But if he wanted out, which from the very far outside looking in I think he did, then I reckon it's the right call.

And those comparing our trading with Pelchen - maybe this is a Jon Hay type deal?

Post Thanks / Like

Bad, you asked why would Lake want out? Possibly to play in a premiership.
    Don't forget he held us to ransom in the last contract negotiations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    According to Marty Pask (Lake's Manager) on SEN this afternoon, Hawthorn are covering the entire contract amount. We don't need to pay a cent. I must admit I felt a little happier when I heard this.
    Interesting, I heard Mark Evans from Hawthorn say they've negotiated a new contract for Brian.Don't know what to believe personally.
    Would be nice if someone from the club was up front with an interview with the various Media outlets!! Ballsy move from the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Interesting, I heard Mark Evans from Hawthorn say they've negotiated a new contract for Brian.Don't know what to believe personally.
    Would be nice if someone from the club was up front with an interview with the various Media outlets!! Ballsy move from the club.
    Heard that as well. Lake now has a 2 year deal and the club has an option on a 3rd.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but I don't agree he would have walked next year. Read the last sentence, that's what should happen.
    You may well be right Bad and this trade is one that has fired up a lot of dogs

We will only know in time if it was the right move, and regardless it doesn't mean we will like it

Post Thanks / Like

This is the last thing I am going to say on this subject as I have vented my spleen enough, but I want to explain, why I am gutted by this decision.

snip
    Mate when you get rid of the emotion and type like that it is a very good thing. Well said and a sad day for the club (I was open to trading him but for what we got it just isn't worth it)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Hasn't Lake wanted out for a couple of years? Wasn't he close to walking last year? I remember an interview with him late last year where he was far from convincing about whether he wanted to play on at the Dogs in 2012, let alone 2013 and beyond.

If he didn't want to be there, legend or not (and I'm a massive fan of the guy), then you can hardly argue he'd be a good mentor for the young kids, nor can you argue he was any real value to us on the field building a team first culture.
    All speculation. If he wanted to stay at the Dogs and we're just moving him on cause he's old, then that's no good in my opinion. But if he wanted out, which from the very far outside looking in I think he did, then I reckon it's the right call.

And those comparing our trading with Pelchen - maybe this is a Jon Hay type deal?
    Well from what Doc was saying, the way he was playing with his bloody phone during Boyd's acceptance speech is hardly sterling role modeling for the next gen.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sorry your first post wasn't clear.

I'm not in the pro Dawes camp either but I have a sneaking suspicion that we are interested.
    Says in theage we have put in an offer for Dawes along with two other clubs.
    Dawes couldn't hit the side of a battleship, although he does turn like one.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Clubs are made up of many different people, the players, the administrators, the coaches etc etc. Players are also made up of young players just drafted, legends, guns, strugglers, hard workers, characters etc etc.

When a new young player comes to the club, they are often in awe of the legends of the club. Take a young Wallis who is 19 years old.

In 2006, in front of our second biggest crowd in our history at the MCG, here is Lake playing in a winning final against Collingwood. Wallis probably a 13 year old kid, screaming his lungs out, barracking for the dogs maybe even had Brian's number on his back. Fast forward to 2011 and here he is playing along side an AA Fullback, one of the best we have had at our club. Playing and training along side a Lake or Boyd lifts players and they have more worth than just playing in a game. They maybe older now and not as fast as they once were, but their experience is irreplaceable.

Clubs need their best players to stick with the club, its the very fabric that make up the club. Champions of the game. They are there every day at training, working with the kids, advising them, telling them how to play the game, where to position themselves.

Clubs need these guys to help develop a winning culture.

I have been following the dogs for a long time and have seen so many past greats just let go, I can name:

Dempsey
    Quinlan,
    Barry Round,
    Templeton
    Hardie

all brownlow medalists

Hawkins, Bisset, and many many more and now Lake.

A lot of the younger posters here don't care about the history and culture of clubs, they just want to get rid of players at 30 and bring in the young. Well that path doesn't work, have a look at the Richmonds and Melbournes of the world.

You may agree or disagree, you may say Lake wanted out, but ask yourself, why would he? We can all speculate about that but at the end of the day the club needs to manage players and look after them.
    I don't always agree with you, and I don't agree with everything you've said here, but I appreciate the passion and effort you've gone to with this post.

Bring on 2013. Or maybe 2014 .
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    According to Marty Pask (Lake's Manager) on SEN this afternoon, Hawthorn are covering the entire contract amount. We don't need to pay a cent. I must admit I felt a little happier when I heard this.
    If thats the case then i certainly feel better about the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by easternwest View Post
    i don't always agree with you, and i don't agree with everything you've said here, but i appreciate the passion and effort you've gone to with this post.

Bring on 2013. Or maybe 2014 .
    2016?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, as a Bulldog supporter, I have seen so many of our champs go I am sick and tired of it.

A clubs fabric is not made up of only young and up and coming players, but also by the old champs.
    While admirable, you could also argue that is also a big factor in our failure as a club.
    No one idolizes their heroes more than WB supporters, perhaps so much that it is to the deteriment of the team/club in achieving success.

I'm dissapointed to see him go but in a year or two i'll be much happier when we see Brian retire and the players we got for the trade just starting to kick on with a whole career ahead of them.

Certainly sad to see him go though.

Post Thanks / Like

If we trade for Dawes, I'll watch our games from home.