Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Port wins London Exhibition game

Herald Sun
    November 04, 2012 6:08AM

NEW Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has started his coaching career with a thrilling one-point victory over the Western Bulldogs in the AFL's exhibition match at The Oval. A brilliant goal by Power midfielder Brad Ebert from a set shot 50m out near the boundary line with less than a minute to play sealed the victory, 14.4 (88) to 13.9 (87).

At one stage early in the third term, Port trailed by 39 points before unleashing a nine-goal unanswered burst to take the lead midway through the final quarter.

more

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Port wins London Exhibition game

The only disappointing thing of the loss is this:

The victory by Port means they have won the right to be involved in next year's London game with the AFL committed to building its profile in Europe
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    At one stage early in the third term, Port trailed by 39 points before unleashing a nine-goal unanswered burst to take the lead midway through the final quarter.

more
    Wow, our 2nd halves haven't improved. Hopefully endurance is not completely neglected for strength during our preseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wow, our 2nd halves haven't improved. Hopefully endurance is not completely neglected for strength during our preseason.
    To be fair the preseason has barely even started, so the new conditioning staff will only just have started to implement their programs.

Post Thanks / Like

"I said to the players before the game that you always want to win and it doesn't matter if it's an exhibition game or anything for us," Hinkley said.

I like this attitude. It doesn't sound like we were the best team on the day.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    To be fair the preseason has barely even started, so the new conditioning staff will only just have started to implement their programs.
    Yes, but we've replaced triathlete fitness trainers with Rugby fitness trainers. BMac has emphasised strength over everything else to date and the new appointments only reinforce that philosophy further. Our ability to run games out was atrocious last season, and I sincerely hope it is a major priority to fix this moving forward.

I also find it strange that we feel the need to justify our fade out in the media, with a lame excuse about a shorter preparation time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but we've replaced triathlete fitness trainers with Rugby fitness trainers. BMac has emphasised strength over everything else to date and the new appointments only reinforce that philosophy further. Our ability to run games out was atrocious last season, and I sincerely hope it is a major priority to fix this moving forward.

I also find it strange that we feel the need to justify our fade out in the media, with a lame excuse about a shorter preparation time.
    You'd like to think that if we can see the need to improve fitness, the experts down at the club should be able to also see it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobdog View Post
    You'd like to think that if we can see the need to improve fitness, the experts down at the club should be able to also see it
    Hopefully this time we get it right and we wont see 2nd fade outs after some good 1st halves last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but we've replaced triathlete fitness trainers with Rugby fitness trainers.
    Because we had so much endurance into the second halves with Davoren in charge?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If using 2012 in isolation, the answer would be 'no'. But under Davoren previous to this season, we had no trouble running games out. On the contrary, we were slow out of the blocks most weeks and would motor home late in games.

Post Thanks / Like

That's right, one thing I was most disappointed about was our fade outs, especially given Davoren's background.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Fade outs even in the off season.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Davoren wasn't allowed to put in place the program he wanted which might be the reason he chose to leave?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't weigh anything into the result of this match,
    39 points up in an exhibition match where both coaches said numerous times that it was about the spectacle first and foremost.

Surprisingly enough it ended up a 1 point result with a kick from 50 to decide the game at the end. What a co-incidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree Cyber. We have to win. Small clubs can't afford to languish in development mode for years. Jag a win every time you can. Accept that we lost but it was just a point. that's the pleasing thing.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus