Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Incoming president Peter Gordon aims to significantly boost football department

link

THE KENNEL GANG: NEW BULLDOG PRESIDENT PETER GORDON WITH THE BULLDOGS' NEW-LOOK FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT (LEFT TO RIGHT) ROHAN SMITH (ASSISTANT COACH), BEN GRAHAM (STRATEGIC FOOTBALL OPERATIONS MANAGER), SHANNON GRANT (ASSISTANT COACH), JAMES FANTASIA (GENERAL MANAGER FOOTBALL), STEVEN KING (ASSISTANT COACH), ASHLEY HANSEN (DEVELOPMENT COACH), BRENDAN MCCARTNEY (SENIOR COACH), GRAHAM LOWE (HIGH PERFORMANCE COACH), ANDY BARNETT (STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH) AND BRETT MONTGOMERY (STRATEGY AND OPPOSITION COACH).

INCOMING Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon has already exerted his fiscal clout by making a substantial donation to the club.

The high-profile lawyer is refusing to talk numbers, but yesterday confirmed he had written one cheque.

It is expected there will be more to come from Gordon and a collection of powerful supporters who are rallying behind him.

"I am both making a contribution and working hard amongst my contacts to maximise their contributions," Gordon said.

"It's fair to say there are a number of people who I've been friends with over the years and who have been very generous supporters over a long period of time.

"If you are after numbers, you are not going to get them from me ... I am choosing not to talk about my own contribution."

It is understood there are at least eight to 10 key backers, both individuals and families, prepared to dig deep.

Gordon, who officially takes over as president at the club's annual general meeting on December 20, wants to use the funds to significantly boost football department spending.

He is also rallying rank-and-file supporters to ensure membership revenue remained high enough to ensure money can be spent in areas that will have an impact on on-field performance.

The Dogs are burdened by a $10.5 million debt, but Gordon is adamant that it is manageable as the focus switches to football.

"We want to do the extra things in the football department and to accelerate the development of our young players," Gordon said.

And he is intent on making sure the supporters, desperate for on-field success, feel part of the reinvigoration.

"The overriding thing is, I want the Bulldogs to be a team off-field as well as on-field," Gordon said.

"I don't want to over-emphasise what a particular group is doing, and not value the contribution of others.

"This club was saved in 1989 out of the pockets of pensioners and unemployed people. My mum turned up with her big money box and turned it over.

"The contribution of those supporters is just as important as the support for those businesspeople and higher net worth people who have been very generous.

"I've been thrilled with the letters, emails and phone calls to my office from people really excited about 2013."

and a second story

Western Bulldogs president-in-waiting Peter Gordon isn't wasting any time

PETER Gordon has already apologised for ruining Simon Garlick's holiday.

The Bulldogs president-in-waiting was so intent on rolling up his sleeves and getting to work that he hounded chief executive Garlick with the ferocity of Tony Liberatore.

"I ended up sending flowers to his wife," Gordon said.

"I was silently counting and when I got to call number 20 on his holidays I felt like I'd crossed the line."

Still almost three weeks out from officially replacing David Smorgon in the main chair at the club's annual general meeting, Gordon has been spending at least three days a week on Dogs business.

"Most of my professional career I've been biting off more than I can chew - and chewing like mad," Gordon said.

He is talking to sponsors, local government, staff and powerbrokers in the western region as well as rallying cashed-up supporters and rank-and-file fans.

He also loves being back at Whitten Oval - so much so that he almost set up a desk in the administration department with an eye to being even more hands on.

"I had my IT people in my office ready to go and set up a work station for me here," Gordon said. But then he changed his mind to avoid any confusion about who was in charge.

"I don't want there to be any confusion as to who is to be CEO of the business. Simon is the CEO and I will become the chair," Gordon said.

"We need to send the right message to the staff. I want to be a resource to him, a source of counsel and guidance, provide any value-add. We've worked very well together so far."

Gordon has spoken to all departments at the club and is backing a review of the board he is about to rejoin.

Several people have put their hands up to join the board. Former player Paul Dimattina has made headlines, while others have stayed in the shadows.

Gordon welcomes the interest and is determined that the composition of the board will be suited to taking the club into the future.

Dimattina will be one of several interviewed by what amounts to a panel designed to ensure the best people are on the board.

"My priority is we have a board which is as competitive as possible - so we've got skills in marketing, we've got skills in digital media, finance and football," Gordon said.

"The best way to do that is an expert committee."

That committee, which includes some of the same group that recommended Gordon succeed Smorgon, will speak to candidates.

"Paul (Dimattina) has agreed to talk to that committee," Gordon said.

"Various other people, who may not wish to have their names mentioned, have nominated as well.

"I think the calibre of the existing board is very high. I don't have a particular agenda to replace David's people with my people - some of them are quite good friends of mine.

"But the priority everyone feels is that going forward, in the next 10 to 15 years, we need a board that is optimally positioned to advance the best interests of the club."

Changes could be made in coming months. "We have means of co-opting them on," Gordon said.

"There are provisions to appoint members - and if we need to we'll go to an election to do it. Every member of the board has agreed to this process. We're going to do this in a studious, diligent and business-type way over the next 12 months."
    Last edited by bornadog; 04-12-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Incoming president Peter Gordon aims to significantly boost football department

Happy to admit I've got a bit of a man crush on PG.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Incoming president Peter Gordon aims to significantly boost football department

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Happy to admit I've got a bit of a man crush on PG.
    see also the second story I have added.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved reading those articles. Met Peter some years ago and he is a very sincere and enthusiastic person. Great for the Club that we have him on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only new board but a change of culture I see from The players to the top
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Gordon looks like his going to be a fine president for us, after all the first time he came in the year I was born 1989 he saved our club. Very good to see our football department given a shake up bringing in some experienced faces.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 06-12-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

New coach, new president, exciting times to be a fan. Thanks so much to all the backers.

As he mentions, the club was saved by pensioners and unemployed people. That's why our community programs are so important. To maintain the connection with the working class.
    A bit like Obama with his campaign, which generated a fortune from the one and two dollar donations from the old ladies, we have to have grassroots programs, continue with them and work towards developing new ones.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 04-12-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

While what he's saying is great. Is he expecting to receive this money year in year out to boost the football department?

If it's a once off thing I'd prefer to see the money used to rid the club of some of it's debt.

Especially next year while expectation is so low we don't really need a high footy department spend. We'd be better off setting a tight budget and getting rid of debt because I doubt we'll match our membership of last year given how poorly we performed at the back end of last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    While what he's saying is great. Is he expecting to receive this money year in year out to boost the football department?

If it's a once off thing I'd prefer to see the money used to rid the club of some of it's debt.

Especially next year while expectation is so low we don't really need a high footy department spend. We'd be better off setting a tight budget and getting rid of debt because I doubt we'll match our membership of last year given how poorly we performed at the back end of last season.
    I think a fair bit of the cash has come from the AFL only to be used on boosting the footy department.

As for the membership I think the club has had a lot of positive spin so far this off season and we may get a surprise with the numbers. Well here's hoping.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

At a guess, people are probably more willing to give money to see improved on-field results than a lesser bank loan.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully one day the debt can be completely gone but realistically the club just needs to reduce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree we were touted as having a bad year and we did. I think our numbers will be similar if not slightly up as we continue to play kids and with any luck have a fit Cooney and Morris I look forward to see us start the climb back up the ladder.I don't think we will make the eight but do see us improving our posistion.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Don't you think an increased spend might assist in the development of our young players?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Don't you think an increased spend might assist in the development of our young players?
    Money spent with the odd exception is all proportional , despite what some poster think we have done really well over the last couple of decades with the limitations in budget we have had.
    If we can get some more money to equal up our chances at a flag, Brilliant.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.