Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time is right for Talia

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I think a happy medium is 190cm

Too small to play big and too big to play small. Come to think of it how did I not get drafted by Scott Clayton?
    We traded in Ben Harrison from Richmond......so you were a bit stiff to miss out!

Post Thanks / Like

Getting back on track. If Talia can progress like we all hope it will give us a nice mix in defence, he can take the more mobile and athletic key forward types such as Franklin, Riewoldt, Cloke etc, and Roughead can take the really big key forwards like Clark, Tippett, Patton, Cox/Naitnui etc

Post Thanks / Like

Played a very good game on the weekend and beat his man Butcher. I thought his kicking was also better (other than one wild kick out from the defensive 50).

I think he will settle in well in one of the key positions in the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

My first memories of him was the guy who walked in front of my car when I was trying to park the car in the Batman St Carpark. I didn't know who he was and when I was going to give him an earful I noticed the Bulldog coloured tie so I bit my tongue. Then it clicked, that was Michael Talia google confirmed.

Great to see him making good progress. Looked pretty comfortable in tough conditions Saturday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    My first memories of him was the guy who walked in front of my car when I was trying to park the car in the Batman St Carpark. I didn't know who he was and when I was going to give him an earful I noticed the Bulldog coloured tie so I bit my tongue. Then it clicked, that was Michael Talia google confirmed.

Great to see him making good progress. Looked pretty comfortable in tough conditions Saturday night.
    That's what I took from the game aswell, just how comfortable he looked. As BAD suggested, one shocker of a kick exiting the defensive 50 but apart from that I thought he was excellent first time up this season.

He didn't appear to be hurried at all when he had the footy.

Good signs on Saturday night.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Played a very good game on the weekend and beat his man Butcher. I thought his kicking was also better (other than one wild kick out from the defensive 50).

I think he will settle in well in one of the key positions in the backline.
    Reckon he was even better than that - he took Butcher to the cleaners (when Port were dominating) and forced him to be subbed out. I was really impressed with his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Reckon he was even better than that - he took Butcher to the cleaners (when Port were dominating) and forced him to be subbed out. I was really impressed with his game.
    I'm not downplaying what Talia did to Butcher but what's going on with him? He was the next big thing at Port last year and I'm pretty sure this is his first game back. Has he been injured? Down on form? Other reasons?

Post Thanks / Like

Thought Talia was more than solid - will be hard to drop following that performance.

Happy with the look of the back 6 moving forward - just missing a mid-sized Bob Murphy style HBF to compliment the run of JJ (and that may be Easton Wood - I said 'may' be ')
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Looks comfortable one on one for a young player.
    He plays similar to his brother, besides that one shocker he had a good night.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not downplaying what Talia did to Butcher but what's going on with him? He was the next big thing at Port last year and I'm pretty sure this is his first game back. Has he been injured? Down on form? Other reasons?
    Just think teams were going to throw the kitchen sink to get him back home.
    Poor kick , and has had numerous injuries which have hampered his development.
    Was anyone else surprised by how tall Port went in their forward line?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just think teams were going to throw the kitchen sink to get him back home.
    Poor kick , and has had numerous injuries which have hampered his development.
    Was anyone else surprised by how tall Port went in their forward line?
    Yea bit surprised both teams went that tall. Both coaches first year up there though still surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I was at the game and watched Talia closely. He was very impressive; not blessed with pace, but isn't critically slow. Knew where to position himself which was really pleasing and knows how to use his body to make it hard for his opponent.

He also made a noticeable effort to provide some rebound which was surprising but again pleasing. Disposal was good minus one or two kicks.

I was annoyed when we were playing Austin and Markovic in front of him in the NAB Cup and early rounds of the H&A season prior to his injury. Hopefully he plays the year out now though, so much to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes he had an interrupted preason. He was also eased into the NAB Cup comp but did his wrist I believe. He's also had a hamstring early this season. I think Saturday night was his first game (or perhaps second) for the year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I was at the game and watched Talia closely. He was very impressive; not blessed with pace, but isn't critically slow. Knew where to position himself which was really pleasing and knows how to use his body to make it hard for his opponent.

He also made a noticeable effort to provide some rebound which was surprising but again pleasing. Disposal was good minus one or two kicks.

I was annoyed when we were playing Austin and Markovic in front of him in the NAB Cup and early rounds of the H&A season prior to his injury. Hopefully he plays the year out now though, so much to work with.
    He has been working hard on his rebounding.

What was his kicking like, hard to tell on TV?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=The Bulldogs Bite;325564]I was at the game and watched Talia closely. He was very impressive; not blessed with pace, but isn't critically slow. Knew where to position himself which was really pleasing and knows how to use his body to make it hard for his opponent.

I was annoyed when we were playing Austin and Markovic in front of him in the NAB Cup and early rounds of the H&A season prior to his injury. Hopefully he plays the year out now though, so much to work with.[/QUOTE]

I was the opposite. Like with Wallis getting sent back; I just think they are making these kids work and work on fundamentals in the two's so they get basics drilled in. It seems like a list approach where they will use older maybe less skilled bodies rather than throw the kids in who may have non-negociables they need to show they can improve.

I've really enjoyed watching the in's and out's this year. It looks very very strategic to me although I could equally be totally overthinking it......

Stringer needs to go back for a couple of weeks at least to get some leather poisoning.